Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Aigaios
Lacedaemon
Micha369
Sneezer
xenon_nobelium
ResIsBestStat
Dibsville
Hugh_G_Johnson
Carphil
Soris Ice Goldwing
Latitoast
Muker
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
WaffleGuy
TheMeInTeam
IV_Mark_VI
AnCapaillMor
Sentiel
22 posters

Strange weapons

Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Strange weapons - Page 2 Empty Re: Strange weapons

Post by Sneezer Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 am

The whip.

Unless you're kinky like that.

...I should make a whip build...
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:57 am

Whips are cool.
    They can't be parried and their attacks are great to cancel bs fishers.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:04 am

Too bad the moveset is wonked in the main hand and they don't do much damage.
    Micha369
    Micha369
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Micha369 Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 am

Hello Lati,

Latitoast wrote:It's not hard to prevent backstabs with a strength weapon.
    can you just give me an advice on how to do that?
    I never have used a heavy weapon in pvp but I have done some pvp fights with a fast moving dex toon.

And even with my dex toons I get bs often (often because of time lag but not only because of that, I guess).
    I'm considering trying a str. build once.

Thanks for your help!

best regards
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:38 am

Somebody hit Micha with a divine weapon. winking 
    Micha369
    Micha369
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Micha369 Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 am

Sentiel wrote:Somebody hit Micha with a divine weapon. winking 
    Sorry, I don't really understand your comment, I'm afraid!
    Is this a past sentence or a simple present one?

And I have to admit that I don't understand your winking eye either.confused
    Lacedaemon

Post by Lacedaemon Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:13 am

On the topic of the knight shield, I believe that From put it there and made it worse than the others is because its a free shield with 100% physical block. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that it's the first shield in the game you will find just laying around that costs nothing to obtain with 100% phys. (Aside from starting equipment with some classes) I just think that could possibly be why it sucks compared to others seeing as its meant to be used by beginners.
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:44 am

Sentiel wrote:
    Demon Great Hammer
    It seems to have only slightly higher AR than Great Club, but weights a ton more. Does it have any other benefits?
    I am pretty sure that this weapon was rushed by the developers and it was originally supposed to have a special one handed attack, that was either never added to the game properly or taken out at the last minute.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 pm

AnCapaillMor wrote:Knight shield i say the same but for some reason pre sens it's the shield i see the most on xbox.

Mailbreaker, never used it but it does have a better critical than rapier so i imagine it'd be handy early on. It ws useless in demons too if i remember correctly.

Agree on the others.

For me its the Flamberge's, well not the sword itself, it's bleed effect. It's so redundant. Rynn did a playthrough purely based on bleeding people out with it and after 3 days or more she got a grand total of 1 bleed out. Does way too much damage and swings too slow to build up enough or let the person take enough hits to bleed.
    What's more, that bleed was after the guy healed TWICE!
    It took doing 3K damage to him for the bleed to go off, and I was hitting him constantly, we were all there*
    *Or some of us.

Sentiel wrote:There are many weapons and shields. Even the most useless ones like Cracked Round Shield can find their use. Some are lighter, stronger, or identical, only with different aesthetics, or with slightly different moveset.

However even among this well balanced repertoire of equipment, there are some that I cannot find any meaning to, nor reason to use them.

Giant's Halberd
    Never saw anyone use this thing. It weights 16 units, which is 10 more than other weapons of the same class, but has no benefits, that would make it better than others. 
    It also does split Lightning damage, which is strange, because Sentinels, nor Royal Sentinels do Lightning damage with it.

Sniper Crossbow
    Just...why? We can't manually aim it and it takes longer to shoot than other Crossbows. While it does have longer flight path, it's pointless since you have to use lock-on to hit anything.

Izalith and Beatrice's Catalyst
    As far as i know, both of these have identical scaling to Sorcerer's Catalyst and don't have any special melee attack.

Demon Great Hammer
    It seems to have only slightly higher AR than Great Club, but weights a ton more. Does it have any other benefits?

Mail Breaker
    The weakest of all Rapiers. Short too, so using it outside of criticals seems pointless. While it is slightly lighter than Rapier, the damage difference is too big to make the 0,5 difference worth it.

Knight Shield
    The star of this show.
    It is 2,5 units heavier than Caduceus Iron and Tower shields, yet has less Stability. Other stats are identical. It looks nice, but why is it so heavy and yet has no benefits over other shields?

What is your take on these? Or do you have some equipment you cannot find a single use for as well?
    Mail Breaker is a dagger with the far superior advantage of turtling. Light Weight and low on stat requirements, it see's use in a lot of my light rolling builds.

Knight Shield has high AR. It's good for punching people in combat with. You use it offensively.

Demon's Hammer: Um... Yes? Did you not learn anything from me using it religiously? The club has more range on it's rolling attack, and swings slightly faster on some of it's attacks. In addition it's got a better heavy attack, that does more damage, and can't be as easily parried.

Izalith Catalyst is longer, which causes the spells to come at a minutely different angle, and yes, it matters.

Beatrice's Catalyst is purely for roleplaying. It's a different skin. Have some fun for once.

Sniper Crossbow does more damage the further away the target is.

Giant's Halberd is the longest halberd in the game, and it's two handed R2 can hit twice, though that is a glitch and not intentional most likely; as it only happens on really large enemies. In addition like a lot of strength weapons, there is some modifier that causes it to do more damage than anticipated. Just like how rapiers do more damage than other weapons with similar AR's. This makes it more competitive than it seems.

Soris wrote:Lati I have to agree with the Demon Great Hammer. I never see anyone with it and even less who put the hornet ring for a 1 kill bs.
    I used it for 4 *** weeks. 4 weeks. I streamed the entire time.

Sneezer wrote:The whip.

Unless you're kinky like that.

...I should make a whip build...
    While there is a skill ceiling on this, it can not be parried.
    Halvdan

Post by Halvdan Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 am

Lacedaemon wrote:On the topic of the knight shield, I believe that From put it there and made it worse than the others is because its a free shield with 100% physical block. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that it's the first shield in the game you will find just laying around that costs nothing to obtain with 100% phys. (Aside from starting equipment with some classes) I just think that could possibly be why it sucks compared to others seeing as its meant to be used by beginners.
    that would be a pretty bad reason.
    As sentiel already said you can buy a heater shield way earlier from the undead merchant (only 1000 souls). And until you get to the knight shield, it is very likely that one of the enemies already dropped a hollow soldier shield.

Silver Knight Straight Sword:
    the best looking sword in the game. it's easily upgradeable and the base damage is good; but the scaling is bad and in the end i dont really see a reason to use this weapon instead of a balder sword which has lower stat requirements and half the weight.
    It would be fine, i think, without that 6 weight.

@xenon: oh well, didnt know about that poise-break. still, the weight... D:

Last edited by Halvdan on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:57 am

silverknight straightsword has a really good poisedmg to swingspeed ratio. the 2hR2s break 39poise, perfect to scare those poisestacking jokers as your 2nd hit will break their 76poise. also those hit really hard and combo. it's the next best sword after the BSS imo, if only for the low stat requirements.
    PhlyingDutchman
    PhlyingDutchman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 am

The DGH's R2's help make up for its poor damage-to-weight ratio. They look mostly like the R1's, which makes parry timing slightly harder, and, as mentioned, come out faster than the great/large club R2's. If I'm just fighting with a single weapon, I'll take the large club, because the 1H R2 is awesome and it's a lot lighter, but if I've committed to mid-rolling, I've had success fighting with a mace, waiting for my opponent to get comfortable with the spacing, and then pulling out the DGH, unlocking, and turning them into a pancake when they try to roll sideways. On the whole, yes, it is underpowered, but it isn't completely superseded by another weapon.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:17 am

The Giant's Halberd is awesome. I use it all the time.
    -Good range.
    -Good moveset (Those R2s are great for baiting hits.)
    -Good damage (Too bad it's split. Although, it isn't really much of a problem to be honest.)
    -Looks cool (The most important aspect of PvP, obviously.)

I'm using this right now:  http://mmdks.com/46vw
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Micha369 wrote:Hello Lati,

Latitoast wrote:It's not hard to prevent backstabs with a strength weapon.
    can you just give me an advice on how to do that?
    I never have used a heavy weapon in pvp but I have done some pvp fights with a fast moving dex toon.

And even with my dex toons I get bs often (often because of time lag but not only because of that, I guess).
    I'm considering trying a str. build once.

Thanks for your help!

best regards
    Well, my tactics requires strength weapons with wide attack ranges(Ultra Greatswords are great for this, however other weapons have R2s that can do this as well, like the Demon's Greataxe 1h)

It's playing off the stupidity of most fishers.

Once you see a fisher, all you have to really do to counter him is fight unlocked, fake a move in one direction and change your angle once he's going for the backstab, since you're wielding a strength weapon they will lose their poise, get sneak attacked which can lead to a nice combo(like the DGA uppercut R2 combo) or a stunlock that leads to a dead enemy.

However, when I see fishers on weapons like the Demon's Great Hammer I abuse my range to attack in a range where my opponent doesn't have the time to backstab me.

I don't have much for Dex weapons though, my usual tactic is to always keep moving, only attacking at openings since I have the speed to attack without being hit back.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm