Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Dibsville
ghostshade
6 posters

Need help to flesh out a build/theme

ghostshade

Need help to flesh out a build/theme Empty Need help to flesh out a build/theme

Post by ghostshade Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi i have been playing dark souls since it came out and dragged me away from demon souls. Sadly i suffer from a severe case of restart syndrome meaning that i tend to play my builds for about 20 to 60 hours and then remake them in an effort to find a theme or build that i like.

I done this around 10 times now so i could really use your help.

I am trying to create a character with a kind of Dnd Rogue/assassin feel to it

In demon souls i had the most fun with my dex builds and my light weapon blueblood sword build so i am trying to build a similar character in dark souls.

Here is what i need help with

The build need around 40 vit and around 40 end with a primary focus on dex

i would really love to use either the dark set or the lord blade set from the dlc. Preferably with as light roll even if i can handle medium roll.

And of course with as close to 56 poise as possible.

I need you help and input on choosing between dex/int which i have never used and dex/faith which i have used but never got to work properly.

I am sick and tired of using katanas as my main weapons and are looking at using the pained guardian sword as my main buffable weapon with the gold tracer as a none buffable option. For variety i am looking at a fire weapon/chaos weapon and need input on if i should use a balder sword or a rapier for some sweet thrust and backstab damage.

So far all my characters have ended up with the silver knight shield as their main defense with the crest shields as options against magical attacks and fire. 

But since i have not played around with much more shields then the classical balder shield/heater shield/hollow/tower kite and spider shield i wonder if there are any options i could use with decent stability and lower str then the classical 14 for silver knight and 16 for black knight shields.

Also i would love to get some tips on good low weight weapons to upgrade to divine to use in the tombs and catacombs. Or if i should use the silver knight spear.

I hope you people can give me some input and tips
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Need help to flesh out a build/theme Empty Re: Need help to flesh out a build/theme

Post by Dibsville Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:46 pm

http://mmdks.com/2zze

Eh?

Good choice for Catacombs and Tomb is the Falchion/Scimitar. Can take out the skeletons quickly, and horizontal strikes allow you to take out an entire group at once instead of one at a time.
    wretchedsausage
    wretchedsausage
    Addicted
    Addicted

Need help to flesh out a build/theme Empty Re: Need help to flesh out a build/theme

Post by wretchedsausage Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:57 am

Have you considered dex/pyro ? 
    Also, Dibs' build is pretty nice, so I would suggest using that or something similar. If you want to choose between faith or intelligence, I would recommend intelligence. It has a little more variety than faith, and things like dark bead are extremely powerful.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:05 am

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=142940505594363390

here's a possible variant on dib's build, it has 76 poise, fast roll and a bit more hp at the cost of one spell slot and the ninja flip. a decent trade depending on your playstyle.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:31 am

http://m.mugenmonkey.com/?c=288089801178667774
    Here's my take - broadsword for combat and buffable with CMW, dagger for sneaky BS, hidden body and chameleon for more sneakiness and the costume of Lords Blade and Dark Wraith mix is pretty wicked but also grants you good poise with Wolf ring. SL99 darkwraith to invade upwards
    ghostshade

Post by ghostshade Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:47 pm

@Dibsville Interesting never though about that selection of gear and stat allocation. hum thanks you given me a lot to think about. Have not tried the dark sorceries yet but from what i seen and read about them they all have their uses.

@Wretchedsausage Went the longest into the game with dex/pyro aka placed the lord vessel but while i like using some pyromancer spells i dont think i will make it a focus again that is something i have planned for another build.

if i go dex/int is 40dex 36 int  the best way to go?

for those of you who have played dex/int when did you start to place more points into int?

As for my playstyle well i fast weapons with bleed and good backstab and riposte weapons as well as using bows to take out enemies from afar. With the possibility to weaken them via poison etc before i close into melee

I forgot to mention it before but Ring of favor and protection and the dark wood grain rings is off limits and will not the used.  

I tend to ring swap way to much to best handle the situation for me to use the ring of favor and i dont really feel the need for the ninja flip and its greater invulnerability frames since i have greater use of other rings.

@Sparkly-twinkly-lizard hum  interesting so far it seems like you all agree that its viable to not go over 10 str and still make the character work.  Since i have never depended on the ninja flip ring and dont really find it suits my play style not using it is hardly an issue.

Any recommendations for low str shields except the crest shields?

@ Halicarnassis thanks that is a interesting looking dark wraith very mage focused i see while i do enjoy buffs its something i tend to use only for certain battles.

I plan to take this character past quite a few ng+ so eventually i will probably be able to use most of the gear i want to try in the game. But for now i focus on leveling to 125

with 25 more levels how would you change the build?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:56 pm

http://mmdks.com/30cp

Added some levels, gave it a backstab/riposte weapon (I've been using it for awhile, and Velka's Rapier is actually extremely good, even as a normal weapon. So you don't have to completely rely on backstabs and ripostes with it, they're just an added bonus.)

Gave you Hornet to give it more of the "assassin" type feel, as well as swapped the Catalyst and Bow position.

Strong Magic Shield basically turns the Buckler into a Havel's Shield that can parry. It pretty much lets you tank anything that is everything while its active.
    ghostshade

Post by ghostshade Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks a lot Dibsville that looks like a very nice and fun build happy

Never though about using the strong magic shield spell due to its low duration but after reading up on it i understand why from set the duration so low.

Going to start the build out tonight thanks for the help i will probably have more questions as i level him
    ghostshade

Post by ghostshade Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Hum hum i am nearly following the build and its fun happy

right now i am level 30 warrior of sunlight +1

Didn't want to wait until ng+ so helped hosts kill the gargoyles until i could join even with 8 faith. Then i helped enough hosts to get 10 sunlight medals so now i have everything i want for that.

Leveled my pyromancer glove to +15 made a fire +5 balder side sword and a divine +5 balder side sword and upgraded my scimitar to +10 so i can make Quelaag's fury sword when i get to anor lando.

Currently farming in the depths with these stats:

vitality 15
    attunement 12
    Endurance 20
    Strengh 12
    Dexterity 20
    resistance 12
    Intelligence 14
    Faith 8
    44 humanity

thinking about going back to the asylum to get the rusted iron ring and the Peculiar doll

then the question is if i should pump vitality to 20 first or into to 20. Feel free to come with ideas

also the various wikis are inconsistent when it comes to the duration of hidden body and hush. Is it 30 sec per cast as written here on this wiki or is it lower as in some of the others?
    Zer0Guy

Post by Zer0Guy Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Personally I'd put it into INT first, but I always have fairly low VIT.
    ghostshade

Post by ghostshade Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:05 pm

hum well i seem to do ok with 15 vitality for now so might as well do it. that would leave me level 36 when i go to blighttown.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 am