Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
SadPanda
ViralEnsign_
Ephexis
>Brave<
RANT
Silver Mont
Drascoll
Argetlam350
passivefamiliar
JoeBroski09
Marionx
Toafer
twilightwarwolf
White Knight Wulf
Aevun
Myztyrio
Shakie666
BluTeamWolf
SirArchmage
Serious_Much
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
iGBx
Seignar
Reaperfan
Cronotis
Sargerus
30 posters

Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

Sargerus
    Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced! Empty Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

Post by Sargerus Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Congratulations to the winners Praise the Sun 

Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced! Qk8h
    For the sake of clarification, only the 6 first shields will be available in-game, the other 3 are the winners who will receive a copy of DkSII. No Tally or Ire shield in-game sad

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509074252498957.1073741831.119869331419453&type=1

Last edited by Sargerus on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced! Empty Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

Post by SadPanda Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:30 pm

No Marcus Shield thumbs up
    Cronotis
    Cronotis
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced! Empty Re: Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced!

Post by Cronotis Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:49 pm

That rose shield will be in game?  Wow, doesn't seem like it fits in the Souls series.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Cronotis wrote:That rose shield will be in game?  Wow, doesn't seem like it fits in the Souls series.

Then they'll just make a situation that makes it fit winking
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:44 pm

My predictions:

- That Solaire Shield is either going to be hidden or its going to belong to someone who resembles Solaire. Also, it isn't going to answer any questions about him either. I also think its going to be one of those "Miracle Shields" that let's you cast miracles with them.
    - That Hand Shield is going to have a Special Attack ability.
    - The Rose Shield will have a passive.
    - Fourth one is a standard Greatshield.
    - First one will be liked Effigy Shield as in having abnormally large resistance in one damage type, but sacrificing much in everything else.
    - Fifth is that mystery shield!
    iGBx
    iGBx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by iGBx Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9iNBF2X8VQ

I made this video showing and discussing these awesome shields.
    Congrats to all the winners.
    wave
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:58 pm

hmm actually i could see the rose working, it fits with some of the armor aesthetics i've seen and actually would work for a chester style character...
    Sargerus
    Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sargerus Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:52 pm

My speculation about the shields:

Shield of Ash: Maybe a shield of some royal family outside Lordran

Sun Warrior Shield: A shield of the Warriors of Sunlight covenant

Guardian Shield: A cursed shield used by many warriors in the past, the handprints are a remark of the many bloody battles this shield has seen

Iron Crow Shield: Shield of Velka's covenant, the eyes represent Velka that is always watching over its followers

Shield of the Primordial Serpents: Shield representing the Primordial Serpents Kaathe and Frampt

Rose Shield: No idea about this one, maybe it belongs to a killable NPC
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Im personally a tad disappointed with these. Some other designs were far better to me than the ones chosen.

That being said, the great shield choices are pretty good, the tally shield being my personal favourite of the initial heavy design winners
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Silver Mont Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm pretty ridiculously happy that they picked mine to be in the game.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm

They.........They have a.......Black hand for a shield.........

FOOLS! The Dark Brotherhood has come upon thee! Let the Black Sacraments begin anew in Dark Souls two!

HAIL SITHIS! Praise the Night Mother!

For all of those that have dared to mock the name of the Dark Brotherhood before, remember......
    Dark Souls II Shield Design Contest Winners Announced! 9k= And we shall be coming for you in Dark Souls 2......

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    BluTeamWolf
    BluTeamWolf

Post by BluTeamWolf Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Congratulations to the winners! Though I mostly respect From's choices, I was hoping that the outcome would be slightly different, but nevertheless almost all of these designs deserve their place.

I'm not impressed to see that the *Japanese-only* entries were hidden from the rest of us; I would have enjoyed having a look at all of them, but alas that could merely be due to translation boundaries.

You guys might hate me or disagree fully with what im about to opinionate, but oh well, for the sake of attention!

I'm going to pick at the so-called "sunbro" shield because it bugs me a little. It seems far too simple, it makes me wonder whether I wasted a lot of time "overcomplicating" my design, and something behind all that angers me, for there were plenty better examples of work that From could have considered and yet they choose this colour-complimentary abomination, knowing whoever made the design probably whipped it up (or appropriated it from somewhere else) with enough time on the side, that clearly adheres to some of the most obvious topics DS hinted at. I don't have a serious problem with references to the original game, even though I think thats a slight bit cheap, but unlike all the other winners, this idea behind this shield seems far too transparent.

Also, does this mean we should expect some armour set with blue and yellow colour combos? 

I can't stand the idea of this piece of work being flagged about in my game, but thats probably backed up by my knowing that it was chosen over my own shield, and its my own fault for getting my hopes up so high. 

Im sorry to bring a downer to what is a fantastic turn of events, but i've had enough of all the idolisation over this icon and all the sun praising its wrought, I can't bottle it up.

I certainly trust From to make an awesome game, and I hope they have some great ideas for all of the winners.
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:13 pm

I do agree that we could've been shown the other entries outside of Facebook; I would like to see what they had. Essentially, only one shield from the Japan/Asia section of the Facebook contest got in the game. That's what sort of bothers me.

Oh well, it's only a contest. I just wish it was done better.

Nevertheless, congratulations on the winning designs!
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 pm

I dislike the tally shield, seems too plain. The hand shield though looks badass! I hope when its in-game, it'll keep the awesome 3D bits of the design.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:57 am

Many animals. This means FROM will likely have to incorporate some backstory, possibly a myth of winged beasts vs reptiles.

Also, the Solaire shield will likely bring at least a small easter egg of Solaire somewhere.
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:40 am

Okay, for some odd reason, the announcement on Facebook was removed. It's strange because earlier this evening I was able to see it.

confused
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Silver Mont Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 am

Same here! Very odd.
    Aevun
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Aevun Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 pm

I actually think that the Solaire-shield wouldn't fit into DkS2. Unless there's an in-game Solaire fanclub I really don't see how it would fit in.

The other five are great. I especially like the rose and the iron crow. I'm probably just letting my imagination too loose, but I'm already hyped for gracefully moving rose-themed enemies, weapons, armour sets, and a winged beast boss fight. Ooooooh, please, let there be a winged beast boss in the game. Oh, and I almost forgot: A crow themed armour set. Shaped like Artorias' armour, coloured black and dark grey and decorated with feathers. Best not get too excited.
    Drascoll
    Drascoll

Post by Drascoll Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:01 am

Silver Mont wrote:I'm pretty ridiculously happy that they picked mine to be in the game.

I'm pretty ridiculously happy and shocked that they picked mine at all but I'm not sure if my shield was second or 3rd in the category so I have no idea if it's going to be in game. All I know is Formsoft wanted me to send them an HD .PSD file.

*Primordial Serpent shield was mine*

But they pulled the results from the Facebook page so IDK what's going on. Maybe they made a mistake.

Well What is it
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Silver Mont Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:46 am

Drascoll wrote:
    Silver Mont wrote:I'm pretty ridiculously happy that they picked mine to be in the game.

I'm pretty ridiculously happy and shocked that they picked mine at all but I'm not sure if my shield was second or 3rd in the category so I have no idea if it's going to be in game. All I know is Formsoft wanted me to send them an HD .PSD file.

*Primordial Serpent shield was mine*

But they pulled the results from the Facebook page so IDK what's going on. Maybe they made a mistake.

Well What is it
    Anything is possible! Some people noted that two of the tower shields were by the same person, and that the Rose shield in the JP/kite category wasn't even in the top 30, so maybe that's why? I'm a little confused because they haven't even mentioned why they took 'em down.

...I hope it wasn't because loads of people were whining at them for getting rid of the ENB shield!
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:04 am

iirc only  2 shields get picked for in game use actually, at least that's what I read for the contest rules... maybe they were just showing the final group?
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:05 am

Would have liked to see one of the wolf shields to have made it. That rose shield looks awesome.
    twilightwarwolf
    twilightwarwolf
    Revived
    Revived

Post by twilightwarwolf Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 am

A wolf shield would have been awesome though i really like the rose shield. The others are ok but i kinda expected FROM to pick some others. Still can't wait to see what they put in.
    Sargerus
    Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sargerus Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:25 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:iirc only  2 shields get picked for in game use actually, at least that's what I read for the contest rules... maybe they were just showing the final group?

2 per model, thats means

2 kite shields
    2 greatshields
    2 round shields
    Ephexis
    Ephexis

Post by Ephexis Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:09 pm

personally i think the lion shield should have been put in the game, the detail and design is just amazing imo

i think the rose shield is kinda ugly
    the whole rose design just kills the shield for me

the black and white one is kinda blandish
    but in game it'll probably look better

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am