Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
hey its andres
SirArchmage
raecor14
DaximoX
8 posters

Str/faith or Dex/faith build?

DaximoX
    DaximoX

Str/faith or Dex/faith build? Empty Str/faith or Dex/faith build?

Post by DaximoX Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Idk if i should go for a str/faith or dex/faith build for pvp. I like the str weap and the dex weap... Tip any1?
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Str/faith or Dex/faith build? Empty Re: Str/faith or Dex/faith build?

Post by raecor14 Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 pm

dex and faith go really well together and most of the time you have a little extra STR because of the best faith starting classes.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Both are plenty viable.  Dex goes with anything, but faith is one of the better pairs for str weapons overall, if not the best.
    DaximoX
    DaximoX

Post by DaximoX Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 pm

I see. I have realy fallen in love with the Great Scythe and think it's a fun weap to use in pvp :p But i realy want the darkmoon blade and the sunlight blade to buff it with happy
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:35 pm

This question basically is the age old question of "Do I want DPS, or heavy hits?"

The buffs can make a strength weapon one-hit people, or things like the Falchion an absolute DPS machine. I would have to ask what your preferred playstyle is, but I suggest dex/faith because they are much easier to use. Though with strength/faith you can use defensive buffs and go super tanky with things like replenishment and Great magic barrier.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:46 pm

SirArchmage wrote:This question basically is the age old question of "Do I want DPS, or heavy hits?"

The buffs can make a strength weapon one-hit people, or things like the Falchion an absolute DPS machine. I would have to ask what your preferred playstyle is, but I suggest dex/faith because they are much easier to use. Though with strength/faith you can use defensive buffs and go super tanky with things like replenishment and Great magic barrier.

I have a SL 120 mace sunlight blade build that's really nasty.  Unless people have perfect toggle escapes 2 hits --> stagger stab will one-shot frail builds, but if you get in a hit or two before doing that combo or run hornet you'll kill almost anybody.  Str has some decent-speed stuff like manserpent greatsword and the meat cleaver, though they don't really poke.  I really love the hammers though.

What makes it more viable is that things like roll BS attempts can be punished with WoG --> tickstab if they roll and you don't attack.  Dex is less vulnerable to such things because it's faster, so while faith is an excellent complement regardless, due to the buffs + quick WoG for str it also covers your weaknesses quite a bit, in addition to letting you dump more points into something other than scaling due to 2h.  Things like Vow of Silence are amusing alternatives also.

But if you prefer dex, scythe dead angles or a buffed rapier + shotel finisher can be just as nasty.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:43 am

The question is reall "Do I suck at PVP and need to pull all the stops to win, or do I wanna have fun?". If you answered yes to the second question then do faith/str and use something ridiculous like the Greataxe.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 am

The difference between str and dex builds is marginal unless you're talking about extremely experienced players.  An unlocked great axe hit will stagger anything but the heaviest poise builds since it's like a zwei or UGH in that regard.  It doesn't have a lot of dead angle potential, but it has some.  If it's buffed, the damage per hit is incredible.  Against your typical host, one hit with a buffed great axe --> staggerstab would pretty much take care of business...not atypical vs your typical strafe fisher.

Sure, you can buff a falchion or katana and spam r1 and that's pretty effective...unless someone just turtles it by backing away or running outright.  Or WoGs you.  Or you r1 spam into dark bead.  Or fishes/counter BS.  Or blocks and pokes.  Or 2h spear roll/flip away.  Or black flame trades you and stuns you for a follow-up, winning the trade easily.

My point is that when people are doing the above, if you can't handle the technique/timing of those kinds of things, a buffed katana won't do much to win.  If you can, then a buffed kat build will win you a few more matches than you'll lose, but not many.  Even with toggle escapes, there's a lot to be said for a hit stun.

But IMO if going that far into STR build go full bore and pick up things like golem axe, a good great shield, and a nice elemental backup piercing sword.  You can get mega obnoxious in a hurry that way, and people won't even mistake you for a "tryhard" lol.

STR can be really effective.  It depends on play style.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:29 am

Do a quality build, use the washing pole, buff it, and watch your enemies die 40 ft in front of you silly 
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:16 am

Aren't they both just a typical pure Str or Dex build but with a buff thrown in along with maybe WoG? Just go with whatever weapon you want to use and base your Str/Dex off of that.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:02 am

For the love of the Great Scythe. http://mmdks.com/39hi

If you love a weapon and want to buff it, just go for it man. 2hR2s with a buff on from the great scythe are monstrous damage, and unlike katanas/curved swords it's backstab damage is quite high.
    DaximoX
    DaximoX

Post by DaximoX Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 am

Okey, the build look awesome. But i realy hate the ring of favour and protection :s
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 am

I would drop crown of dusk in favor of something else.  It's only boosting WoG, and makes you take extra from magic.

Fast roll with 76 poise (if you want SL 120 and not 125, drop the vitality and you'll still have >1500 hp):

http://mmdks.com/39n1

Fast roll with 53 poise but much more defense:

http://mmdks.com/39n4

Note: Mother mask + end is always > father + vitality for HP/roll combo, so use mother if you're looking to make a min/max build happy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am