Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
ublug
retro
befowler
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Sentiel
ChizFreak
Emergence
FinPeku
skarekrow13
MiketheMushroomMan
Green__Eagle
15 posters

I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this.

retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this. - Page 2 Empty Re: I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this.

Post by retro Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:23 am

I was doing more of the drop testing, and managed to create two Good Vagrants for myself (got the second one about ~20 minutes after the first):
    I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this. - Page 2 HQz48Fp

I'll write a more detailed post later on, but basically I did the same drop tests as above (this time using purging stones). I never got to test collecting a large pile of stray bags again, as the vagrants managed to show up after never seeing more than 2 stray bags at once this time.

So there's still a bunch of unanswered questions and I'll be doing more testing, but for now I've learned how to create both vagrant types (with a lot of patience), and what their basic causes are. I'd say this is 85% solved, the rest are just details. big grin
    befowler
    befowler

I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this. - Page 2 Empty Re: I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this.

Post by befowler Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm

This is getting very cool, as usual you are way ahead of me.  I definitely think lots of smaller drops is the way to test, was going to suggest 10 drops of 9 humanity rather than 1 drop of 99 humanity. 

What's weird is I still wonder how they expected this to function -- if vagrants are only spawned by "evolving" items that are purposefully picked up and then dropped (not left on the bodies of kills, for example), no wonder they are so rare.  In the original unpatched game, was it more common to try to pick stuff up and instead leave it behind?  Because at present with basically infinite carrying capacity and in game drops like severed tail weapons automatically going into your inventory, the only common way you'd accidentally leave stuff is if you already had 99 of it. 

Interesting aside -- most of my sunbro characters have 99 medals now, so whenever they win a coop fight they drop a sunlight medal on the ground in the host's world automatically since they can't carry any more.  Host usually doesn't see it and runs off.  Would be cool of that eventually leads to more vagrants.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Yeah I think this does help explain the particular rarity of the Good Vagrant types. The possibility that they can be 'intercepted' before turning into a vagrant at all really reduces the opportunity to see them.

I know someone who developed a script/mod for the PC version that blocks all online activity asides from those in your friends list (working in conjunction with DSCFix). I mentioned the idea of vagrant testing to them before, but they seemed uninterested because I think they assumed it wouldn't have much success. I'm definitely going to bug him again now that I know the basics, because it could help answer some questions a lot faster.

With his script, I'd love to see what happens he when abandons items like I do, being connected to only 1 friend. Are all the abandoned items guaranteed to warp to his friend always, and then back to him when his friends abandon them? Or is it based on a randomized chance (a dropped bag has 1/3 chance of winding up in another world, etc)? Also, it'd be cool to find out how the stray bags turn into a good vagrant exactly. I'm guessing it has to just be passed around a certain number of times before it turns into one-- like maybe the 3rd or 5th time it's transported, it turns into a vagrant.

befowler wrote:
    Interesting aside -- most of my sunbro characters have 99 medals now, so whenever they win a coop fight they drop a sunlight medal on the ground in the host's world automatically since they can't carry any more.  Host usually doesn't see it and runs off.  Would be cool of that eventually leads to more vagrants.
    Yes, I think this should help! After doing some blue eye orb level range testing in the forest, I got a souvenir of reprisal that wouldn't fit into my inventory and it dropped on the ground. I returned to find a stray bag in my world where I couldn't retrieve the souvenir in his world. So maxed out inventory co-op/ pvp bag drops should have the ability to wind up as stray bags.

Regarding transporting stray bags - suiciding shouldn't be the only correct method of abandoning them, it's just one of the easiest ways of doing it. You can run to a far enough away area so that they disappear, that also works.

An interesting note on the running away method (Ublug discovered this and told me about it), you can actually drop a bunch of items, run far away, come back and NOT all of them will disappear. Only the last two bags you dropped. So if you drop three bags in the darkroot garden, run to the firelink shrine and back, the first bag you dropped will still be there and the last two will be missing.

This is why I'm dropping only two bags at a time. I don't know for sure, but based on the above, I'm assuming there's a mechanic for only transferring the last two items dropped. That might also explain why good vagrants and even stray bags are rare, it's not uncommon for players to ditch a ton of items at once. The problem is, it's most likely that only their last two drops are relevant. Dropping 40 different things at once probably won't help in any way.

I should also try and find out if using homeward is another viable way to abandon items, it probably is.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:27 am

I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this. - Page 2 7X38Bft

Just dropping in with my 3rd successful Good White Vagrant Spawn, this time in the Undead Burg. Nothing really new to report, it was the same as the other basic drop tests (drop 2 different items as two different bags at a time). I was trying with Sunlight Medals at first, but I actually used up all 99 (I suicided over 50 times? geeze), but then switched over to Purging Stones and got it after about 20 suicide cycles. So there's no way to know if a specific one of those two items were responsible. I got a Charcoal Pine Resin from it, something I don't think has been documented yet.

I tried some offline testing for losing humanity / evil vagrant spawning, no luck yet.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:53 am

Nice results! Remember to write down what you dropped and what it spawned, to see if there' s any correlation between them.

Btw, I did a lot of offline tests back when I first learned how to spawn drift item bags, but never got a single one in return, so I have settled with them being online only.

You did say that you spawned two vagrants in the same location on the same character? So they are not like crystal lizards who only appear once each playthrough?

I also think an early interview mentioned drift items where they said dropped armor could evolve into better armor. I tested this long ago with loads of cleric armor I bought from patches, then dropped it between deaths hoping to get that elusive elite cleric armor in return, but without success. Although I never tried to create a vagrant with them, I mostly focused on the mysterious drift bag mechanic/bug or whatever it is.

Speculation ahead:
    I think your ip-pool theory sounds logical. It might not include yourself as a target when you do the initial drop, but once the item has drifted to another player in your pool you are probably eligible for a return drift, since you are still in the same pool.
    I also suspect that the game stores the (last 2) items dropped in kind of a 'drift item' inventory slot, so you should theoretically be able to die repeatedly after the drop until it appears, instead of dropping new items before each death. But dropping more items would probably increase your chances of spawning a vagrant.
    Red vagrant spawning could be dependant on what level you are, or what ng+ cycle you are on (as in can only create reds if you are on ng+).

/edit: I did a few tests in the burg, level 100, boss dead, no humanity or souls, all items dropped on top of the sniper tower.
    - Dropped 50 egg vermifuges, 2 each time between deaths. Not a single bag or vagrant spawned.
    - Dropped 50 purging stones, 2 each time between deaths. Got a couple of bags now and then, but they usually vanished after I dropped 2 more stones. No vagrants.
    - Dropped 50 chain helms, 2 each time between deaths. Not a single bag or vagrant spawned.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:58 am

Ah, one thing I may suggest trying differently (if I read correctly). You mentioned the drift item bags you got would disappear after you dropped two more items while they were there? I imagine that would likely interrupt the vagrant-creation process, since they're likely caused by those bags entering a new world a certain amount of times.

When I did the drop tests, I was doing almost exactly what you did... but instead if I found even just one drift item bag upon respawning, I wouldn't drop any more items and would suicide to abandon it again. Just to make sure that I wouldn't mess with the process by dropping new items at that moment.

Regarding the speculation about the IP pool, I think you're right. I was imagining at first that the IP pool might include yourself as an explanation for why you can sometimes create Evil Vagrants for yourself, but I did notice that there was a delay. That delay instead is probably someone not finding the vagrant in their world, and it getting sent back to you, rather than it waiting in some kind of 'queue' to go directly to you. I was assuming at first that Evil Vagranta didn't travel around to to different worlds, but they probably do if they're not found... or, they're kind of like the Good Vagrant and need to get passed around to a couple worlds first before actually turning into one, only they don't have an item bag or anything that can be physically obtained or observed.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 am

Here's more detailed information on the successful Good Vagrant spawns.

For the first and second one I made appear (in post 26), I never went human. I started off dropping 2 separate bags of 1 Purging Stone at a time, then switched over to Repair Powder when I ran out. Nothing is dropped when a drift item bag is found, I suicide again.

Suicide # / # of Drift Item Bags Found (0 if blank)

1 through 24 - 0
    25 - 1
    26 - 1
    27 -
    28 -
    29 -
    30 - 1
    31 -
    32 -
    33 - 1
    34 -
    35 -
    36 -
    37 -
    38 -
    39 - 1
    40 -
    41 -
    42 - 1
    43 -
    44 -
    45 -
    46 - 1
    47 -
    48 -
    49 - 2
    50 -
    51 - 1
    52 - 1
    53 - 1
    54 - 1
    55 -
    56 - 1
    57 -
    58 - 1
    59 - 1
    60 - Good White Vagrant #1 appeared!
    61 -
    62 -
    63 -
    64 - (Switched to dropping repair powders here)
    65 -
    66 -
    67 -
    68 -
    69 -
    70 -
    71 -
    72 -
    73 -
    74 - 2
    75 - Good White Vagrant #2 appeared!

The second one dropped a Transient Curse. I was stupid and actually missed the first one's drop, because using the Mega Mule I had 99 of most items and was maxed out. I walked away to drop 1 of every item to find out what the drop was, forgetting that I should've checked the bag after every handful of drops, because dropping a lot of stuff at once will cause the oldest-dropped bags to disappear. It disappeared on me.

Good White Vagrant #3 I didn't document in the same way. That time it was Sunlight Medals dropped, and then I switched over Purging Stones when I ran out. It probably showed up after around the ~70th suicide and dropped a Charcoal Pine Resin. I was level 125.

And now I just got another:
    I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this. - Page 2 MgG3ubP

This one is actually of a previously-undocumented location, so it was kind of cool getting that done. It's listed in the Future Press Guidebook so I trusted one would appear in the area, but there haven't been any screenshots or videos of it that I've seen. It's in the Darkroot Garden, by the cliff where the group of Frog-Rays jump out of the water. It's in the far corner on the cliff-edge, behind the Stone Knight.

Level 122, same drop routine, this time starting with Purging Stones and then switching to Gold Pine Resin when I ran out.

1 through 31 - 0
    32 - 1
    33 -
    34 -
    35 -
    36 -
    37 -
    38 -
    39 -
    40 -
    41 -
    42 -
    43 -
    44 -
    45 - 1
    46 -
    47 -
    48 -
    49 -
    50 - 1
    51 -
    52 - (switched to Gold Pine Resin)
    53 - 1
    54 -
    55 -
    56 - 1
    57 - 1
    58 -
    59 -
    60 - 1
    61 - 1
    62 -
    63 - 1
    64 -
    65 - Good White Vagrant appeared.

The items I'm dropping are typically ones that the Good Vagrants are known to drop, asides from the Sunlight Medal, that was just a random choice. No idea if that's a requirement at all, but for now I'll be sticking with stuff like Purging Stones, Resins, Repair Powders, Transient Curses, etc.

I also had a failed attempt earlier due to my connection being lost and the game quitting to the menu, but I think the information might be useful still:

Level 450, Dropping 2 Sunlight Medals

1 through 33 - 0
    34 - 1
    35 -
    36 -
    37 -
    38 - 1
    39 -
    40 -
    41 -
    42 - 2
    43 -
    44 -
    45 -
    46 -
    47 -
    48 -
    49 - 1
    50 - 1
    51 -
    52 - 1
    53 - 1
    54 -
    55 - (switched to Gold Pine Resins)
    56 -
    57 - 3
    58 -
    59 - 1
    60 - 1
    61 -
    62 -
    63 -
    64 -
    65 -
    66 - 1
    67 - 1
    68 -
    69 -
    70 - 1

There seems to be a reoccurring trend. It's a small sample size, but so far it appears that the stray bags start showing up most commonly around the 20th - 30th suicide attempt. The bags start becoming noticablly more frequent around the 50th suicide attempt, and then I've been able to find good vagrants around the ~65th suicide attempt.

Because I believe it relies on other players not collecting the bags I'm sending to their worlds, this is definitely not going to remain consistent... and I'm sure varying online activity will affect the viability of this (a PC player with connection issues may have less luck). However, having tried this in the Burg, Parish, and Darkroot Garden at completely different levels and getting similar results is very promising so far.

Again, I don't think the mechanic for spawning good vagrants has anything to do with dropping so many items in total, it's just that I'm basically spamming people with drift item bags over and over to the point where it's sort of 'overflowing' and they start coming back to me with greater frequency. ~65 drop/ suicide sessions may be a relatively common area to finally have one come back to you and turn into a vagrant, but I believe that is in NO way a guarantee.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 am

Have you tested dropping items that may occur naturally during the course of a normal game (sunlight medal, souvenir of reprisal, purple moss, ore, etc.)?

Maybe it doesn't matter which items are dropped for drift items or vagrants to appear.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:30 am

Yeah I'd like to find out if more items work, I'm doing preliminary testing on that right now.

But before I try to create more vagrants, I wanted to do some more testing on Drift Item bags themselves, hopefully to find out if certain dropped items turn into specific ones. The goal is to see if I can find out if there's an important distinction between what the Drift Item bags contain (Rubbish vs. Prism Stone vs. Lloyd's Talsman vs. titanite Shard). If there is a significance and I'm able to figure it out, it might make testing Good Vagrants easier.

This list is not yet a guarantee of what the items will turn into, only what I got on my first successful Drift Item found in this testing session. This list can then be used at a later date to find out if it's consistent or if there may be other variables at play:

Results in LLoyd's Talisman:

Souvenir of Reprisal
    Purging Stone
    Transient Curse
    Humanity (Item)
    Twin Humanities

Results in Rubbish:

Sunlight Medal
    Eye of Death
    Gold Pine Resin

Results in Prism Stone:

Fire Keeper Soul
    Cloranthy Ring
    Hawk Ring
    Hornet Ring
    Rare Ring of Sacrifice
    Ring of Favor and Protection
    Rusted Iron Ring
    Tiny Being's Ring

Results in titanite Shard:

titanite Slab
    Blue titanite Slab
    Red titanite Slab
    White titanite Slab

Results in Soul of a Lost Undead:

Large Soul of a Brave Warrior
    Soul of a Brave Warrior

Results in Large Soul of a Lost Undead:

Soul of a Great Hero
    Soul of a Hero

Tested without result yet  (items that possibly don't work):

Alluring Skull
    Black Firebomb
    Bloodred Moss Clump
    Blooming Purple Moss Clump
    Charcoal Pine Resin
    Cracked Red Eye Orb
    Dung Pie
    Egg Vermifuge
    Firebomb
    Green Blossom
    Homeward Bone
    Indictment
    Lloyd's Talisman
    Poison Throwing Knife
    Prism Stone
    Purple Moss Clump
    Repair Powder
    Rotten Pine Resin
    Throwing Knife
    titanite Chunk
    Red titanite Chunk
    Twinkling titanite

(I'll be editing this post as I conduct more testing)

Last edited by retro on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 35 times in total
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:32 am

Cool discovery of that one near the frog rays, I had no idea that was a spawn point.

What is the closest spawn point to the township bonfire?  I wrassle the 4-5 bloated head mobs there between coop runs, and often end up with half a dozen titanite shard bags on the ground since I have 99.  They're always gone when I get back from a coop run (although the bodies are not), and I'm not sure if it is similar to suiciding, or that they just get deleted.  I've never seen a bag spawn from these drops up at the bonfire or anything.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Ah, unfortunately I have no idea about ANY spawn points for Good Vagrants in the DLC areas. I haven't found a single screenshot or video of one there, and there isn't a list to consult like the Future Press Guidebook (being vanilla game only of course). sad

We don't yet know if getting summoned is a valid way of abandoning an existing item, that's a good question. At first I would assume it is, but then again the only two known ways involve enemies respawning, so I'm not sure...
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 am

Here are the results of more various testing:

--Drift Item bags--

These are indeed sent out to other player's worlds when you abandon items (maybe only certain items, still not sure). This was the logical assumption based on everything we've seen so far, but it was tested and proven with a partner. We kept dropping items and suiciding over and over, and every once in a while we'd find a Drift Item bag where the other player was abandoning items.

Unlike Gravelording, which seems to reliably target the most recent partner you connected with through co-op or PvP, there doesn't seem to be a guaranteed method of sending Drift Item bags over and over. Either it has no priority at all and it's targeting completely random players in your IP pool, or the bags themselves have a randomized chance of being sent in the first place (or both). It would usually take ~20 drop/ suicide events before finding a bag dropped by the other player.

I also found out that suiciding may not limit sending the 2 most recent bags you dropped. This was  assumed because of how if you abandon items through leaving an area and returning, only the last two dropped bags disappear. Suiciding may work differently, where more bags have the potential of being sent at once, or it's randomized and doesn't pick the last two specifically. This was determined because my partner and I would drop 4 bags at once in a very specific order using clear markers in the geography. If the 'last 2 bags dropped' hypothesis held up, we'd expect to never find bags from the other player that were dropped in locations 1 & 2, but we did.

--Good Vagrant spawning--

I've been able to spawn three more, using the same methods as before (dropping 2 bags of 1 item at a time, suiciding over and over and usually getting a vagrant around the ~65th - 80~th suicide). 

Something I tried differently was sticking to items that only resulted in "one kind" of Drift Item bag. I realized that in earlier tests, I sometimes I got a vagrant after dropping a bunch of items that could result in LLoyd's Talsiman drift bags, and then also dropping items that could result in Rubbish drift bags.

So I found out that Good Vagrants can appear after dropping exclusively either, meaning the type of item contained in a Drift Item bag doesn't seem to indicate the viability of creating a vagrant. I think any Drift Item bag has the ability to turn into a Good Vagrant...

So the remaining question now is if all items can create a Drift Item bag, or only certain ones? For example, I have yet to see abandoned Alluring Skulls result in a Drift Item bag, but I don't yet know or sure that it can't (I might have just been unlucky so far). If we can actually determine what items can or cannot create Drift bags, then we can probably create a list of viable items for spawning vagrants. I'll be updating my list of what abandoned items are able to turn into Drift Item bags in post #34 here.

--Color of Vagrants--

No progress made here yet! I tested my hypothesis that having sin and being logged in the Book of the Guilty would result in a red vagrant, but it failed. My testing partner and I indicted each other, and then managed to create an Evil Vagrant that was white again. So far I'm around seeing 13-14 vagrants after these tests that have all been white. 

Maybe you have to lose your bloodstain by losing during an invasion? Maybe it has something to do with the creator of the vagrant being in NG+ or higher (as Ublug suggested)? No idea yet...
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

retro wrote:
     --Drift Item bags--

These are indeed sent out to other player's worlds when you abandon items (maybe only certain items, still not sure). This was the logical assumption based on everything we've seen so far, but it was tested and proven with a partner. We kept dropping items and suiciding over and over, and every once in a while we'd find a Drift Item bag where the other player was abandoning items
    Extremely cool.

Have you guys tried it without immediately suiciding/leaving the area?  Just drop stuff and idle 10 minutes or something, then leave/warp?  I've wondered if this process is on some sort of timer that might get disrupted if you are reloading constantly, rather than having just a seemingly low success rate.  Frankly those magical little swirly lights over the dropped item bags make me suspicious, although I know it's a common animation going back to Demon's Souls.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:16 pm

I'll have to play around with waiting longer and see if that has any effect. I wouldn't think it's on a timer though, because without changing your timing, the more and more you do it eventually you can find more bags start returning to your world. So it does seem like they're getting passed around, it's probably just an issue of randomization (of who and/or what gets sent). 

I've looked closely at how the bags appear, like how they have 3 small orbs swirling around them or how every 5th time they pulse, the bag grows dimmer for longer (goes completely invisible for a brief moment). I was really hoping there'd be a slightly different visual characteristic for Drift Item bags, or what bags are going to get sent, but I haven't noticed anything different. That'd be really cool if there was some indication by the way they look, but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case. sad

- - - - -

I just had an odd experience. In growing my list of items that are confirmed to be able to turn into Drift Item bags (and what items they turn into), I finally gave the "mysterious" Guardian Soul a shot. I dropped 2 at a time, suiciding 50 times. No Drift Item bags ever came back to my world, so I figured it was probably not a viable item. Then I rolled a new character and tried again. After dropping another 90 of them across over 45 suicides, a Good White Vagrant appeared!

Because I never saw any Drift Item bags return, there are a few possibilities:

--The Vagrant appeared as pure coincidence and the Guardian Soul is not a viable item for creating them.

--The Guardian Soul is a viable item for creating Vagrants, but by bad luck I never happened to get a Drift Item bag... by random chance they only got passed around to others and then finally one happened to come back to me in Vagrant form (before I see a vagrant, I usually have to encounter 10 or more of Drift Item bags along the way).

--The Guardian Soul is a viable item for creating Vagrants, but it requires less passes before turning into one, causing it to be harder to find it as a Drift Item bag that returns to you because it's already turned into a vagrant on only its second or so pass, which will most often be to another player instead of yourself.

What's even weirder is that I don't know exactly what it dropped. I got 2 Prism Stones from it, but it could've had more. This would be the first case I've heard or seen of a Vagrant dropping multiples of an item.

The reason I don't know how many Prism Stones it really had was because I made the mistake (again) of not emptying max items from my inventory. When I do my vagrant testing, I am careful to now drop 5 LLoyd's Talismans, 5 Charcoal Pine Resins, and 5 titanite Shards in advance, so if I kill a Good Vagrant I can know what it dropped. With this vagrant, it turned out to have something else, so I had to go through my inventory dropping more items.

The problem is that when you drop enough bags, the oldest ones that are present start to disappear. So I went to re-pickup the Vagrant's drop every now and again to make sure it wasn't the oldest bag dropped, as I went through dropping 1 of everything I had 99 of to find out what the Vagrant had. Eventually I found out it had a Prism Stone, but then another bag was still on the ground. Then I dropped another batch, to find 1 more Prism Stone there.

So it probably was carrying 2 Prism Stones, but if I messed up I could have triggered the dropped-too-many items / bag-disappear effect and lost some Prism Stones from the pile. Lesson learned, just drop 10 or so of every item I have 99 of before doing Vagrant testing. :p

TL;DR - The Guardian Soul may or may not have created another Good White Vagrant, but what was unique was that I never saw any Drift Item bags along the way, and it was carrying 2 or more Prism Stones (haven't seen that before).
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:19 pm

I haven't commented in awhile but have another +1
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:47 pm

retro wrote:
     I've looked closely at how the bags appear, like how they have 3 small orbs swirling around them or how every 5th time they pulse, the bag grows dimmer for longer (goes completely invisible for a brief moment). I was really hoping there'd be a slightly different visual characteristic for Drift Item bags, or what bags are going to get sent, but I haven't noticed anything different. That'd be really cool if there was some indication by the way they look, but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Yes, that was what I was wondering.  If you watch them for a while ("waiting on co-op" is a good excuse for extra nerdery I've found) there's an awful lot of animation going on for something most people either pick up immediately or completely ignore.  The fact you seem to have proven that they really do drift to other worlds suggests the whole thing may not be accidental (the two vagrants I've also seen both had those bubbles coming out of them that sorta looked like the bag animation swirly things).

Also, because I just can't resist asking:  have you seen if pendants are drift items?
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 am

I'd love to test the pendant, I consider it likely to work. 

I could farm Pendants through Forest Hunting, but I hope I don't have to. Ideally I'm hoping to get my hands on a modified version of the Mega Mule that comes with the things it's missing - 99 Pendants, 99 Copper Coins, 99 Silver Coins, 99 Gold Coins, 99 Rubbish, 99 Divine Blessings, Mushrooms, etc.

Right now I'm testing weapon drops. They can also spawn Drift Item bags, but they don't return as lesser weapons, they create Rubbish (so far). I dropped a variety of weapons so I don't know what returned a Rubbish at first, but I think it's either Max Upgraded Weapons or Max Unique Path specifically. I made a ton of non-upgraded Moonlight Butterfly Horns, and those seemed to fail, so I don't think boss-soul weapons work (unless perhaps they're fully upgraded?). I think one of the items that did work was a Silver Knight Spear +5.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes, I don't use mule files so I don't know what they're missing.  Some dedicated FHs may have built up stacks of pendants just from the drops there, or we could hold a collection or something, heh.

Weird side note, after staring at the bag animations I noticed for the first time that the bonfires have the same swirly light things, although they're mostly hidden by the actual flames.  I can't tell if this signifies Deep Meaning (TM) or just an overworked programmer.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:56 pm

I have nearly 99 pendants (maybe 95 IIRC) on one of my characters. I could try dropping them sometime and see what happens. Also I got a ton of rubbish. Might try them too.

First I'm going to try vagrant spawning with some other items though.

I may give the pendants a shot next week.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Cool, let me know how that goes. Be sure to pick one spot for a particular item, because having any drift item bags return to your world can be on a bit of a delay. 

So lets say you drop all of your pendants, maybe dropping 2 at a time and suiciding 50 times... and you don't get anything. Then you drop and abandon 6 rubbish in the same place, suiciding 3 times to do that, and then come back to find a Drift Item bag waiting for you the next time. In that instance, there'd be no way to know whether or not it was a Pendant or a Rubbish that caused the Drift Item bag to appear. You need to pick a new location when switching to new items. Though the new location could be nearby (~6 feet away), just be sure they're not too close that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Has anyone noticed an increase in the vagrants/item drift bags in the forest, because I have been dropping of loads and loads and loads of items there recently in order to make things like smiley faces for the invaders to see. With the amount I'm doing, It should have an effect on everyone else.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:08 am

It could be helping. For maximum effect, try dropping only items that I've listed in post #34... the ones that are confirmed to be able to create Drift Item bags. I'm still testing more items to see what is or isn't viable. happy
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 pm

I was able to get a new drop from a Good White vagrant, which has 2 implications.
    I think I may have spawned a couple vagrants for myself. Would love for others to try and replicate this. - Page 2 DJkiJLS

1. I believe this is pretty good confirmation that any item that is capable of creating a Drift Item bag is capable of creating a good vagrant.

Previously I've spawned them dropping only items that result in Lloyd's Talisman drift bags, and another also only dropping items that result in Rubbish drift bags. Now, we can add dropping only items that result in Large Soul of a Lost Undead drift bag (having dropped only Souls of a Great Hero in this test). That's 3/6 of the known drift item bag types being confirmed to be able to create a vagrant so far.

This means that if you check post #34 in this thread, we should have a list of 17 known items so far that should probably be able to spawn Good Vagrants.

2. What the item drift bag contains likely determines what the Good Vagrant drops.

It's like a sort of process where the item you drop turns into something 'worse' as a drift item bag. And then what the Vagrant drops is slightly 'better' than what was in its drift item bag. It changes twice, as if it's "best --> worst --> okay".

For example,

1 Drop Soul of a Great Hero or Soul of a Hero ("best")
    2 It can turn into a drift item bag containing a Large Soul of a Lost Undead ("worst")
    3 After finally turning into a Good Vagrant it drops a Soul of a Lost Solider ("okay")

Of course the best --> worst --> okay explanation is only a loose generalization. Some items that turn into drift item bags are harder to compare. Also, Good Red Vagrants have different drops, but I'm confident it's not different items that need to be dropped, it's another variable I haven't figured out yet. One of the known Good Red vagrant drops is a LARGE Soul of a Lost Soldier. I'm betting that's also created by the same drift item bag that created the regular Soul of a Lost Soldier in the White vagrant, it's just a matter of a different trigger for creating White vs. Red vagrants that I haven't figured out yet.

Looking back at my older tests (where I actually payed close attention to what the vagrant dropped) I realize I was mixing drops, so I'm not exactly sure what else resulted in what. But the Lloyd's Talisman drift bags and Rubbish Drift bags resulted in Vagrants that dropped Charcoal Pine Resins and Transient Curses. Which creates which I'll need to double check. happy

Last edited by retro on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo/ grammar)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Damn this is intriguing stuff
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks! I think it address the idea some people had that the vagrants drop better items the longer they last in your world. I don't think there's anything like that going on, instead, it's more like a tree of items that turn into different ones, where they get slightly better between being a drift item bag and when they actually become a vagrant.

Perhaps "Best / Worst / Okay" isn't the best way of putting it.
    Maybe "Rare / Useful" dropped --> "Cheap / Useless" drift bag --> Vagrant drops "Better" than the drift bag is a bit more accurate.

Surprisingly, I haven't had much luck with dropping boss souls. I figured those would be useful/ rare items that would work, but I've dropped over a couple hundred various boss souls and haven't found a return drift item bag yet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:49 pm