Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
skarekrow13
TheMeInTeam
Aonaran
7 posters

Sin, Repentance, Disgruntled Cats, and Puritans

Aonaran
    Aonaran

Sin, Repentance, Disgruntled Cats, and Puritans Empty Sin, Repentance, Disgruntled Cats, and Puritans

Post by Aonaran Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:20 pm

So I want to get the Darkmoon Blade buff for a character I am working on, but I understand the leader of the covenant is kind of a puritan when it comes to sin and whatnot. This saddens me because I very strongly would like to use the Iron Round Shield, which can only be obtained by killing Shiva and prying it from his cold dead hands, which is cat friend doesn't seem to respond well to. If I thumb my nose at the Forest Hunters, is there any way I can subsequently join the Darkmoon clubhouse without the big boss being a total hardon about it?

My other concern is that souvenirs of reprisal are a bit on the difficult side to obtain. Has the drop rate off of the Harpies increased post-patch? I don't enjoy farming, but I don't dislike it as much as most. Also I hear you can use the Bottomless Box glitch (which I am entirely unfamiliar with) to get two Black Eye Orbs which allows you to kill Lautrec endlessly. Does this still work post-patch?

Thank you in advance for any help with my well work and almost certainly irritating questions.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Sin, Repentance, Disgruntled Cats, and Puritans Empty Re: Sin, Repentance, Disgruntled Cats, and Puritans

Post by Sentiel Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Darkmoon leader, Gwyndolin doesn't care about your Sins. You can be the #1 Darkwraith in the Book of the Guilty and he will welcome you with open arms. Alternatively, if you decide to kill him instead, you will gain acess to another, similar buff, Sunlight Blade. Same thing as Darkmoon Blade. It buffs for around 5% less damage, but does Lightning instead of Magic, so it works perhaps even better.

You can always ask Oswald in Undead Parish to absolve your sins if it makes you feel better.

As for Souvenirs. Use Blue Eye Orb to invade people. You invade lower levels than you, so the fights are generally pretty easy. If you don't want, or can't PvP, then those harpies in Painted World are your only option. Drop rates have been generously buffed in one of the patches, so using 10 Humanity + Gold Serpent Ring should net you the Souvenirs quickly. You can get one Souvenir from Lautrec and one from Snuggly if you trade Pendant.
    Aonaran
    Aonaran

Sin, Repentance, Disgruntled Cats, and Puritans Empty Re: Sin, Repentance, Disgruntled Cats, and Puritans

Post by Aonaran Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:19 pm

What type of damage does Darkmoon deal? I want to do a pure Rapier build for Vanilla and Artorias, alike, but I understand a lot of DLC bosses are resistant to magic damage. Will Ricard's with Darkmoon be useful? Also, would Sunlight blade leave me up the creek when fighting Lord Gwyn? I understand he is rather resistant to the yellow stuff.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:06 pm

What pisses me off is that enemies killing NPC = your character has committed sin.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:11 pm

If you're happy killing you can get all you need very quickly. I had two souvenirs going in. Twenty minutes later I had more than enough. Hint: lifehunt or any high bleed destroys them. At the first tower you can actually lure for harpies if you have a bow
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:43 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:What pisses me off is that enemies killing NPC = your character has committed sin.
    That's PvE Sin. It won't open you to Darkmoon invasions as long as you don't kill Gwyndolin. But yeah it is silly. On the other hand, you could lure monsters to attack NPCs and get away with it, so this is a good way to counter that.

DMB does Magic damage and SLB does Lightning damage.
    They will help you out in the DLC a lot, especially SLB, because enemies are generally less resistant to Lightning. But Ricards isn't a good PvE choice, especially for DLC bosses.

Gwyn is resistant to Lightning. SLB will raise your damage, but DMB will serve you better there. However you shouldn't pick the buff because of one boss. Gwyn and Sanctuary Guardian are only two bosses resistant to Lightning afaik.

PvP wise. DMB gives you more AR, but is affected by GMB and can be blocked out by Crest Shield. While SLB cannot be blocked by any buff and does decent chip damage through most shields but Havel's Greatshield.

In the end, I always go with SLB, because it doesn't require me to be in a specific Covenant to use it.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 am

Sin is pretty fun, you should try it sometime.

And don't mind killing Shiva, he's meant to betray you in cut content anyway.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 am

Gwyn is resistant to Lightning. SLB will raise your damage, but DMB will serve you better there. However you shouldn't pick the buff because of one boss. Gwyn and Sanctuary Guardian are only two bosses resistant to Lightning afaik.

Ornstein definitely resists lightning, and very well.  DLC bosses other than Kalameet are much better vs it than most others also.

Overall however lightning has the fewest resists in PvP by far and is pretty close with pure magic damage in PvE...although I like fire damage the most in PvE because the immune/resistant bosses that take more than 1-2 bare handed punches (centipede and quelag) are either relatively easy or straight-up cheese-able.
    Aonaran
    Aonaran

Post by Aonaran Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 pm

More questions!

-Can I purchase the Darkmoon Blade miracle without having the prerequisite 30 Faith? I likely won't have the stats for it until NG+.

-Do miracles I purchase in one play-through (such as Darkmoon Blade) carry over into subsequent new games, or do I need to rejoin covenants and go through the motions each time?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:29 pm

its not purchased, its granted, and you get it with or without the faith to use it.

you keep it.

You can only get it the one time per character though, and can only use it as a dm.

FYI, its 50 faith AR is 474, where slb's is 406.8. What this means is that you can expect an extra 50-100 damage depending on the opponents armor, which can be significant, but its vulnerable to crest shields and gmb.
    Aonaran
    Aonaran

Post by Aonaran Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Very cool. Just to confirm understanding, I get it regardless once I reach the appropriate level within the Darkmoons. Once granted, I can use it so long as I am a member of the Darkmoon Covenant and have the prerequisite Faith stats. Here is where I am shaky: if I complete the game and begin a NG, will I carry this miracle over? And if yes, it sounds as if I have to rejoin the Darkmoons in order to retain it...or does your current covenant affiliation carry over into your new game?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:54 am

you keep it, you're still a dm into ng+
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:50 am

Are you still planning on using a rapier for the DLC boss fights?

Rapiers are only really useful for their critical damage and in a boss fight a spear will beat it in terms of poking ability and you can't get criticals on any of the bosses in the DLC, it kind of seems like a waste to use SLB or DMB there.

Depending on your stats, I would recommend using either something hard-hitting like a claymore or something fast such as a falchion or katana. With buffs those would be devastating against the bosses.
    Aonaran
    Aonaran

Post by Aonaran Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 pm

My plan was to use DMB on Ricard's Rapier in boss fights so I could spam the strong attack and sink insane amounts of damage that way. 

@Pirate: Good to know!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm