Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
BrotherBob
Soul of Stray Demon
Thor_Odinson
Leet
Lorrac ESP
Aigaios
Sentiel
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
twigsterxd
SirArchmage
raecor14
15 posters

The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword.

raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword. - Page 2 Empty Re: The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword.

Post by raecor14 Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:10 pm

I stand by my statement. i will welcome all challengers
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword. - Page 2 Empty Re: The obsidian great sword is a better moonlight greatsword.

Post by SirArchmage Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:00 am

Let us compile a list.

This is of course basing it off the fact that this is being compared to the Moonlight Greatsword, as being a better version, so this shall be based off how it fairs with mage builds specifically.

Moonlight Greatsword
    - Pros
    -- Reach
    -- Speed
    -- Long Range R2's
    -- Pure Magic Damage
    -- Weight
    -- Can be switched to a claymore, as they have the same weight and strength/dex requirements
    -- Accessibility
    -- Aesthetically looks better then OGS
    -- Small stat requirement

- Cons
    -- Weak against GMB(even though this can be avoided by the above stated switching to claymore)

Obsidian Greatsword

- Pros
    -- Not stopped by GMB
    -- Stronger R2s
    -- Buffable

- Cons
    -- Slower
    -- Less reach
    -- Harder to get, while also needing DLC
    -- Pure physical damage, so no shield chipping while also less damage
    -- Harder to land R2s
    -- Looks god-awful
    -- Higher stat requirement
    -- Heavier

So, who wins?
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:39 am

To speak more about buffing:
    If you hit 50 INT, a MLGS has 480 AR. At the same time, if you have the stats, an OGS has the same AR (though Physical damage). Now, if you equip a TCC and cast CMW, any buffed weapon now gets an extra 410 Magic Damage. So, essentially, you would now have a Greatsword with almost 900 AR. As long as your opponent doesn't try to run away, I think the pure DPS outweighs the inferior speed, reach, and R2s.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:01 am

You should check out my thread calling MLGS the best wep in the game with reasons.

I have since chosen the rapier as the best wep in the game due to my ability to parry on a consistent basis without spamming. 

We could have a duel, you use only OGS, I use only MLGS. I will win.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:05 am

lordgodofhell wrote:You should check out my thread calling MLGS the best wep in the game with reasons.

I have since chosen the rapier as the best wep in the game due to my ability to parry on a consistent basis without spamming. 

We could have a duel, you use only OGS, I use only MLGS. I will win.

What does having a rapier have to do with your ability to parry. 
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:10 am

He probably means he's gotten better at parrying so now he lands more ripostes, for which the Rapier is very well suited.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:He probably means he's gotten better at parrying so now he lands more ripostes, for which the Rapier is very well suited.
    Thank you Pendant. You're always so eloquent with words big grin

Also, before I lose my much appreciated up rep, I DID NOT mean to sound arrogant by saying I would win. I'm just trying to get ya fired up for battle!

Don't get me wrong though, the OGS is nice. If you're good with the man serpent greatsword you'll probably pwn with the ogs.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:28 am

lordgodofhell wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:He probably means he's gotten better at parrying so now he lands more ripostes, for which the Rapier is very well suited.
    Thank you Pendant. You're always so eloquent with words big grin

Also, before I lose my much appreciated up rep, I DID NOT mean to sound arrogant by saying I would win. I'm just trying to get ya fired up for battle!

Don't get me wrong though, the OGS is nice. If you're good with the man serpent greatsword you'll probably pwn with the ogs.
    Its also about the spells you use too i guess, if your using the crystal spells MLGS probably is better, but with dark magic, i tend to try and close distance fast so range is never a problem.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 am

tip to use obsidian greatsword if you back stab and you buff (optional) and have hornet ring use the r2 right after and they'll die so you dont have.why do this they'll run away and heal or go next to the ai if you dont
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:18 am

Why are you so focused on buffs?
    Everyone, even their deaf grandma know to keep their distance when you buff your butt ugly weapon, or parry you once you go all Rambo on us. Buffs do that to people a lot. Buff -> R1 spam / bs fishing. ALWAYS.
    You also missed the point of having less range. Buff, or no, MLGS can hit you before you can get in range of OGS and manage to roll away, since OGS sucks at roll punishing. I did so many, many times when DLC was released.
    Also, you're assuming your opponent lets you pull the buff off. In my case, my MLGS build has always ready CSS in case somebody tries to weapon buff. You may pull it off, but eat 800+ damage, which will reduce your willingness to go Rambo on me.

Forget OGS, if you want to buff a greatsword go for Claymore. I got a 28/40 with 30 Faith and SLB on it is a extreme case of killer weapon. Has more useful R2s as well.

@lordgodofhell
    (/^_^)/ Rapier! \(^_^\)
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:21 am

Obsidian greatsword and MLGS are two whole different weapons.

One does physical damage, and R2 is a slowly charged AoE around the player.

One does Magic Damage, and R2 is ranged, and also does an AoE on where it lands.

And also the other one is better.

Can't spell MLGS without MLG.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:45 am

Sentiel wrote:Why are you so focused on buffs?
    Everyone, even their deaf grandma know to keep their distance when you buff your butt ugly weapon, or parry you once you go all Rambo on us. Buffs do that to people a lot. Buff -> R1 spam / bs fishing. ALWAYS.
    You also missed the point of having less range. Buff, or no, MLGS can hit you before you can get in range of OGS and manage to roll away, since OGS sucks at roll punishing. I did so many, many times when DLC was released.
    Also, you're assuming your opponent lets you pull the buff off. In my case, my MLGS build has always ready CSS in case somebody tries to weapon buff. You may pull it off, but eat 800+ damage, which will reduce your willingness to go Rambo on me.

Forget OGS, if you want to buff a greatsword go for Claymore. I got a 28/40 with 30 Faith and SLB on it is a extreme case of killer weapon. Has more useful R2s as well.

@lordgodofhell
    (/^_^)/  Rapier!  \(^_^\)
    roll punishing? like using the celestial slash against them which causes to cancel the rolling or flipping animation.i guess you could say that but mosly when my opponent buffs sorry i didnt mension it earlier
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:12 am

I like how Celestial Slash (it's one of those R2s right?) sounds, but no.
    Roll punishing is doing a phantom hit on opponents roll on purpose. To put it simply, you attack your opponent in his roll (yes, in his i-frames) and he gets hit as soon as he finishes the roll, if you time it right. Only a few weapons can do that, but MLGS is notorious for doing this.
    The catch is that on both yours and your opponent screens the attack misses it's target, but still does damage.
    I'm not entirely sure if it's due to the weapons length, shape, or if it's some sort of bug in the game, but it does happen.
    However, I should mention that it almost never works on DWGR.
    shadowzninjaz
    shadowzninjaz
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by shadowzninjaz Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:26 am

raecor14 wrote:http://mmdks.com/3cq8 here is my build that i use. it kicks ***. never ever been beat by a MLGS build. (granted haven't actually seen that many on this particular toon)
    That's your mage build, i dont see that as a mage, to me it is more like a buff build with magic on the side using ogs.

MLGS>OGS All i gotta say.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:33 am

Well, MLGS and OGS aren't comparable at all. But if want to you use buffs on the OGS, You should just use miracles, You'll get a faster "r2" with WoTG anyway.
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:15 pm

If you think about it you could use Force to push your opponent onto the floor and then use the R2 special attack of the OGS, would be a really effective way to use it.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, OGS isn't the MLGS, but instead a good miracle usable equivalent of it.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Aigaios wrote:If you think about it you could use Force to push your opponent onto the floor and then use the R2 special attack of the OGS, would be a really effective way to use it.
    That's a good idea, but has one flaw. To knock someone down with Force, the said player must have very low Poise, or you would have to use Force multiple times in a row, so that his Poise doesn't recover. Without Resonance Ring boosts, Force has smaller range and as such is much easier to roll bs, especially if you have to spam it.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Or you could get a wrath of gods off, instead then.
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:34 pm

You dont have to spam it, i use force a lot on my WotW Paladin build and its really effective without spamming.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:40 am

in case you didnt know Sential celestial slash came from shaman king.

when i use the mlgs its terrible i was thinking about more int. and fth. but to me i like my stats balanced thats why i use the obsidian well used to,now i use the abyss and for some reason it fits with my stats
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:04 am

You're comparing a spoon and a fork here.

Both are used for the same purpose, but they each have different abilities and limitations.

But the MLGS is still better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:21 am