Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
dreamperil
GrinTwist
Latitoast
Mintgroove
ScottyDoesKnow
Soul of Stray Demon
EeAyEss
Carphil
befowler
twigsterxd
Hawkins172
IHateTheFourKings
Back Lot Basher
Sentiel
tigab95
Green__Eagle
SadPanda
Uparkaam
Serious_Much
AnCapaillMor
iGBx
25 posters

What changes would you make to improve Dark Souls?

Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

What changes would you make to improve Dark Souls? - Page 2 Empty Re: What changes would you make to improve Dark Souls?

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Oh, I wasn't thinking about the ganking possibility. Ok, so no phantoms while you do it.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What changes would you make to improve Dark Souls? - Page 2 Empty Re: What changes would you make to improve Dark Souls?

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Carphil wrote:Ash Lake PVP. happy
    Great Hollow PvP!  Seriously...fighting on those tree branches?  Epic!  Everyone would be using Force.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    Carphil wrote:Ash Lake PVP. happy
    Great Hollow PvP!  Seriously...fighting on those tree branches?  Epic!  Everyone would be using Force.
    Wait... I think I've seen this before....

What changes would you make to improve Dark Souls? - Page 2 380474120_779
    Mintgroove
    Mintgroove

Post by Mintgroove Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:37 pm

NPC based quests. More of them.

Dark Souls II seems to be doing everything right near enough, in terms of combat, so I guess I'd just like more RPG elements and NPC storylines to optionally conclude.

Serious_Much
    Back Lot Basher wrote:
    Carphil wrote:Ash Lake PVP. happy
    Wait... I think I've seen this before....

What changes would you make to improve Dark Souls? - Page 2 380474120_779

That's exactly what it'd be, too. But some Ash Lake pvp on the beach would be rather nice.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:12 pm

PvP in Ash Lake only while the Hydra is alive? It would be beautiful, but challenging.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm

I'd add a covenant that allows you to become a Blighttown Mosquito, and you can invade other worlds while in Mosquito form.

You can fly around and poison people, and when you die you just respawn and come at them again.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

But those things are so easy, you take out a bow, and they die.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 am

Green__Eagle wrote:PvP in Ash Lake only while the Hydra is alive? It would be beautiful, but challenging.
    And dangerous for the host as he/she will be the only player getting hit. I think the hydra should be able to hit the bp as well. Just like the dragon in the parish can.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:51 am

Latitoast wrote:I'd add a covenant that allows you to become a Blighttown Mosquito, and you can invade other worlds while in Mosquito form.

You can fly around and poison people, and when you die you just respawn and come at them again.
    You wouldn't last very long lol
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:23 pm

1. Re-work the Bed of Chaos fight to were it is actually a challenge and fun for the player. I have no idea how to go about this, though.

2. Make it harder to parry Gwyn, and redesign his boss room so there are more ways to kill him besides parrying.

3. Make upper b-town, the catacombs, and the great hollow harder to get through.
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:41 pm

twigsterxd wrote:
    Green__Eagle wrote:PvP in Ash Lake only while the Hydra is alive? It would be beautiful, but challenging.
    And dangerous for the host as he/she will be the only player getting hit. I think the hydra should be able to hit the bp as well. Just like the dragon in the parish can.
    I'm pretty sure hydra's range attacks hit invaders, I think I saw a livestream where they were fighting near the basin hydra and both got hit.

Edit: the normal attacks probably do as well, since they hit the golems. I assume it's the same for all non-NPC's that can damage regular monsters?
    dreamperil

Post by dreamperil Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:44 am

1: Completely do away with the crafting system. Just about any weapon/armor crafting system besides what is in Dark Souls would be fine.

2: No more cheap areas involving the player to run across thin bridges while enemies shoot at you. I was over it the first dozen times the developers exploited this concept.

3: A better magic system.

4:Less formulistic gameplay. Dark Souls, while a good game, felt extremely mechanical at some points, especially compared to some rpgs with more forward thinking concepts.

5: In my opinion, the gameplay overall could be a little more balanced. I am up for a challenge, but there are many times in Dark Souls in which the game is just cheap. I know a lot of fans will probably disagree, but I am just being realistic.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 am

Completely remove backstabs.

Dark Souls is meant to be hard.It isn't hard when you can cheese almost every enemy by simply blocking and strafing until you can BS them,not to mention what it has done to PVP.

Rework magic.

The magic system in Dark Souls leans towards magic being overpowered but very limited. I would prefer a decent nerf to the power of spells in exchange for magic casts that replenish over time (Mana bar) and are not quite so easy to dodge.

Remove Stunlocking

As with backstabs,stunlocks allow for more cheesing though more so for PVP. I believe greatswords and equal or larger weapons should get one free hit after stunning,smaller weapons should get two hits. To allow for large strength weapons to still be viable,a damage boost or knockdown could be used.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm pretty sure this gets mentioned a lot, but I'm going to say it again:  random enemy spawns.  After clearing an area, the game gets pretty easy when you know where most enemies are.  This element would change the game from difficult in the beginning to hellish, but it's what most longtime players want anyway.

And how about something radical:  Invading with a partner.  The catch is, the invasion only works on hosts who have someone summoned already AND during these types of invasions both the invader and invaded are vulnerable to enemy attacks.  I see a lot of potential for mayhem in these situations.  Plus it would turn ganking into more of an arena sport.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Make Bed of Chaos a better boss. Add certain branches in the level that are heavily guarded, destroying those branches makes the Bed of Chaos weaker, allowing the player to prepare himself. Also instead of pitfalls being the main way for the Bed of Chaos to kill the player, add Demons all around the area that will spawn, hindering player progress.

Remake Izalith, Archives, Crystal Cave and Tomb of Giants. Those are very painful stages not because of difficulty but because of stupid gimmicks.

Make Gwyn more challenging: Change the landscape around by decreasing safe zones like rocks, make him immune to parries, make him be resistant against Fire and Lightning but be weak against Occult. Increase his maximum HP and damage by 10%.

Remove cheap deaths like the Seath fight, instead make it that there are 9 Snakemen waiting for the player after he breaches the fog and if the player kills them all he is never captured.

Remake Ceaseless Discharge. Make him strong in melee combat but slightly less strong in ranged combat, remove his previous exploit. Make him immune to fire.
    Incarcerated Attila
    Incarcerated Attila

Post by Incarcerated Attila Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 am

1. Improve the camera. Dying because of lack of sight isn't fun.
    2. Improve the Interface. It's a little bit confusing sometimes.
    3. Better AI would be pretty cool. It's too easy to fool some types of enemies.
    4. Give the player a little bit more freedom of choice. While there are people out there who think Dark Souls is perfect the way it is when it comes to the story (telling), I would've enjoyed it to have some choices. Queelag comes to mind here.

- I really like the concept of a grey area when it comes to morality. There is no good or evil. Queelag only want's to ease her sisters sorrow by taking the humanity of intruders. That's totally understandable and not really evil as you might think first. You just want to fulfill your quest, but you get attacked by Queelag on your way. It's self defense, neither evil nor good. (as you might think before you hear her side of the story) Great concept, I love it.

- On the other hand it breaks my heart to kill the only ... creature that cared about the Fair Lady. Either you kill her or YOU ease her pain by giving her humanity, but still she will suffer eternally. Dark Souls is not about being everyone's bimbo, I get that. You can't help everybody and create a beautiful world with unicorns and rainbows, but a little more choice would've been great.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:47 am

After you rest at her bonfire; put the Fair Lady out of her misery. You'll get a prize!
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 am

Incarcerated Attila wrote:1. Improve the camera. Dying because of lack of sight isn't fun.
    2. Improve the Interface. It's a little bit confusing sometimes.
    3. Better AI would be pretty cool. It's too easy to fool some types of enemies.
    4. Give the player a little bit more freedom of choice. While there are people out there who think Dark Souls is perfect the way it is when it comes to the story (telling), I would've enjoyed it to have some choices. Queelag comes to mind here.

- I really like the concept of a grey area when it comes to morality. There is no good or evil. Queelag only want's to ease her sisters sorrow by taking the humanity of intruders. That's totally understandable and not really evil as you might think first. You just want to fulfill your quest, but you get attacked by Queelag on your way. It's self defense, neither evil nor good. (as you might think before you hear her side of the story) Great concept, I love it.

- On the other hand it breaks my heart to kill the only ... creature that cared about the Fair Lady. Either you kill her or YOU ease her pain by giving her humanity, but still she will suffer eternally. Dark Souls is not about being everyone's bimbo, I get that. You can't help everybody and create a beautiful world with unicorns and rainbows, but a little more choice would've been great.
    Just to address your camera issue, not sure if you already know about this...

Go into the options menu, select 'Camera auto wall recovery' and toggle it OFF. This will stop the camera freaking out when you get too close to a wall etc. Helped me a bunch learning that little technique.
    Incarcerated Attila
    Incarcerated Attila

Post by Incarcerated Attila Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 am

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, gonna try it next time.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:58 am

KrazykevS10 wrote:Completely remove backstabs.

Dark Souls is meant to be hard.It isn't hard when you can cheese almost every enemy by simply blocking and strafing until you can BS them,not to mention what it has done to PVP.

Rework magic.

The magic system in Dark Souls leans towards magic being overpowered but very limited. I would prefer a decent nerf to the power of spells in exchange for magic casts that replenish over time (Mana bar) and are not quite so easy to dodge.

Remove Stunlocking

As with backstabs,stunlocks allow for more cheesing though more so for PVP. I believe greatswords and equal or larger weapons should get one free hit after stunning,smaller weapons should get two hits. To allow for large strength weapons to still be viable,a damage boost or knockdown could be used.
    I don't BS a lot, I just thought I'd quote you to add something.
    If you BS in the game, you get more souls. Not much more but every little bit helps. This one game I'm playing right now, has the exp. points go up as you level up. I think that getting more souls per kill as you level would be great. It's so annoying going soul farming in some areas. You just get bored. So at sl 1 killing an undead soldier gives you 40 souls. At sl 25 you get 80 souls etc etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am