Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
theGentleman
SirArchmage
Soul of Stray Demon
Mintgroove
Serious_Much
twigsterxd
Reaperfan
EeAyEss
Carphil
Tolvo
KrazykevS10
skarekrow13
Sentiel
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Marino.
SadPanda
20 posters

Hipster Souls

StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Hipster Souls - Page 2 Empty Re: Hipster Souls

Post by StiffNipples Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    You forget that we british are still stuck in the 1800s and frequently use silly sounding mockery of one another in playful jest.

Tis' a shame few chaps on here would be as sporting as you and both comprehend and accept our dastardly ways
    This goes for Aussies too, Poms have a similar sense of humour, most Americans just seem to get offended when we start taking the p*ss out of one another   silly

Bit of a culture clash I guess.

SirArchmage wrote:
    Sure, I love variety and people using unexpected tactics and builds, but most seem to simply be copied and pasted from a youtube video.
    Imaginary +1 Archmage, completely agree. I don't care what builds people use, I just wish more people would be original and stop copying the popular youtube build of the week.

At one stage I went for a couple of weeks seeing the Great Scythe used by 99% of opponents, thanks to people googling 'Dark Souls Best Weapon' and finding ENB's vid.  
    It was fun to see everyone only use the stupidly easy to dodge R2 for about a week, then it got old.

Then there was Giantdad, and the parry spammers (so much fun for a while, when you know they're oging to spam parry it's so easy to abuse and get free hits, or just spam Black Flame/Great Combust at them), the Oroboros, etc. To me it just shows a lack of originality and a desire to win over the desire to have fun.

Tolvo wrote:EDIT: It is on the level of calling someone a trout faced haberdasher with the collective consciousness of a half plowed field.
    And I owe you a +1 for this as well. Brilliant.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Now it's an American bashing thread? Good thing we have awesome wings to console ourselves. Well I do. Most of America does not actually...

Also I make that Great Scythe R2 a lot harder to dodge than most. It's all about when and my "when" is idiosyncratic. The secret is actually also about wings
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Maybe just the idea of Hipster Souls is a little too easy to argue about? How about we actually talk about dressing up like a hipster in dark souls?
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:Maybe just the idea of Hipster Souls is a little too easy to argue about? How about we actually talk about dressing up like a hipster in dark souls?
    Pharis' Hat
    Chester's Coat
    Witch Gloves
    Black Leather Boots
    A Katana
    Throwing Knives

Reddit in a nutshell.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 pm

That sounds more like a bad Naruto cosplay.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Tolvo wrote:That sounds more like a bad Naruto cosplay.
    Exactly.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 pm

I keep getting mixed messages as to what a hipster is from this thread, isn't it supposed to be people being different for the sake of being different? then why is someone jumping on a youtube bandwagon considered hipster, wouldn't that be the cutting edge of "mainstream?"
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:I keep getting mixed messages as to what a hipster is from this thread, isn't it supposed to be people being different for the sake of being different? then why is someone jumping on a youtube bandwagon considered hipster, wouldn't that be the cutting edge of "mainstream?"
    It's comforming to something one day, and despising it the next, just because others are.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:44 am

Most of the builds people copy from youtube are new, strange builds that are pretty fresh. For the start they are new, and people see the uploader winning with this new, inventive build and think that the build must be godly so they copy it, unaware of a thing called "editing".

Then the build gets copied and becomes mainstream/played out.

But we're not so much hating on hipsters in the truest sense of the word, more that that terminology has just been applied to people trying so hard to be different that they all end up kind of the same (which pretty much sums up modern hipsters imo).

skarekrow13 wrote:Now it's an American bashing thread?

See what I mean silly

Joking. I wasn't 'Merica bashing in the slightest, I was mearly noting that Aussies and Brits humour tends to be self deprecating/taking the p*ss out of each other, and when we do that to Americans or in front of them they tend to not get the humour and take it too seriously.

I've been joking around with friends like this and seen Americans look mortified that we treat each other that way, expecting a fight to break out or something, just because that's not something they see in their culture.

SadPanda wrote:
    Pharis' Hat
    Chester's Coat
    Witch Gloves
    Black Leather Boots
    A Katana
    Throwing Knives

Reddit in a nutshell.

Actually it's more like:

TIL: I can't google so help me with this problem that's been answered a million times, dae Solaire?

Chaos Greatscythe/pyro is one of the most common builds I see, but yeah, if I had to pick a common chest armour it would be the Wanderers Coat/Chesters Coat.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:53 am

u dont git it
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:25 am

Shrug 
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:15 am

I consider myself a hipster, although I don't do it for the sake of standing out of the crowd. More like experimenting with different weapon combinations and tactics, while also dressing differently simply because I like to look at my own designs.
    At first, I cosplayed different dark souls character. After few (un)successful characters, I began to form more original characters, based on the cons and pros of my previous characters. What worked out, what did not? For instance: My shieldless Ornstein build were amazing, while my Lautrec build was absolutely horrendous (So bad in fact, I only won one fight with it).

That lead me to create my very first hipster character, wielding a painted guardian sword in the off hand, and a Dragonslayer spear in the main hand. This did extremely well, winning close to every fight. Eventually it grew tiresome, as it didn't really feel like it needed much work from my part. From there, I started to experiment further, with different weapons.
    Ever since then, I have been creating hipster characters. Almost all of which do about and above average in PVP matches (and a few who do far below average). My most notable is my strength build, which did so well, it wasn't even funny for me.

All of my character are based off of my own experiments and experience. Copying other peoples builds would feel sad, unoriginal and just plain boring. I feel the same way about following the meta.
    theGentleman
    theGentleman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by theGentleman Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:48 am

Q: How did the DarkSouls hipster burn himself at breakfast?

A: He was drinking coffee before it was cool

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How do you kill a DarkSouls Hipster?

A: Drown him in the mainstream.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:08 pm

I always liked to theme my builds rather than run the meta, but back in the day I use to be a DMB Katana wielder too.

I also like to think that If I had a really unique and effective build people might remember me.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Wow, I've always just been quite random with builds till recently, and even then I still like to be random and fun over super effective.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am