Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Serious_Much
PhlyingDutchman
twigsterxd
Odinbear
xenon_nobelium
AnCapaillMor
DrAkuma
11 posters

Opinion: Havel Ring Too Easy(?)

DrAkuma

Opinion: Havel Ring Too Easy(?) Empty Opinion: Havel Ring Too Easy(?)

Post by DrAkuma Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:07 am

Hi, I'm new here. I made an account to hear some thoughts on Havel's Ring. To sum it up, I dislike the idea that someone using it can easily bypass the penalty that comes with generally better armour. (Worse mobility, I mean) I understand it takes up a ring slot, but I feel the better armour + good mobility more than makes up for it. So is there a bigger catch I'm not seeing, or should I start working on my Havel Ring build?

I apologize in advance if I offend or disrespect anyone who uses Havel Ring. I don't resent anyone for fairly utilizing an in-game item. Rather, I dislike that particular in-game item itself.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Opinion: Havel Ring Too Easy(?) Empty Re: Opinion: Havel Ring Too Easy(?)

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:43 am

You're giving up a ring slot for it, rarely use it myself, i usually use the wolf ring instead. You could say the same for the wolf ring, good light armour and the wolf ring makes up the poise and you have mobility. You also argue for the FAP ring too, can pump stat points elsewhere now you've 20% on end and vit.
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:49 am

havels wolf and fap are the best 3 rings in the game. any combination of 2 of them makes your char competetive (adjusted to your stats f.e.: low vit+low end = fap+wolf is best)
    DrAkuma

Post by DrAkuma Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:37 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:You're giving up a ring slot for it, rarely use it myself, i usually use the wolf ring instead. You could say the same for the wolf ring, good light armour and the wolf ring makes up the poise and you have mobility. You also argue for the FAP ring too, can pump stat points elsewhere now you've 20% on end and vit.
    Wolf Ring is a personal favourite of mine, although don't the heavier armour sets boost your poise as well? Unless of course, the boost isn't as good, and even so, it will probably hinder your mobility at that point, even with Havel's Ring... Thanks for your input, I'm getting a better overall picture now.
    DrAkuma

Post by DrAkuma Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am

xenon_nobelium wrote:havels wolf and fap are the best 3 rings in the game. any combination of 2 of them makes your char competetive (adjusted to your stats f.e.: low vit+low end = fap+wolf is best)
    I have about 30/29  points for VIT/END respectively, so I'll probably just roll with fap ring soon. It seems like a good all-rounder ring.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 am

Several rings make the game easier, unless you are extremely low level. Then they are there to give you that added edge. 
    I tend to get the Havel's ring for every build, now. ... mainly because he is such a hard fight at extremely low levels. Even with phantoms.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 am

I don't use any of those rings cause I like keeping my slots for more important rings for my builds. If I manage to get havel's early in the game, I'll use it until I can afford the dragon ring. RoFaP I only use if I'm making a low level build. Other than that, I don't use them.

Also, since no one else said it, welcome to the forum dude.
    PhlyingDutchman
    PhlyingDutchman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:55 am

I'm pretty sure that another benefit of Havel's Ring (and someone correct me if I'm wrong!) is that your stamina regeneration penalty is dependent not just on what armor you wear, but your equip burden (roll speed) as well. This means that although the extra armor you are wearing will slow down stamina recovery somewhat over wearing lighter armor, the fact that you stay in fast- or mid-roll, rather than mid- or fat-roll, respectively, will give you faster stamina recovery than you would have otherwise been able to achieve with the heavy armor. This has always bugged me, since really slow stamina recovery would be a decent drawback to rolling around like crazy in heavy armor.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 am

Welcome to the forum, nice to have another doc here big grin

Yeah the trio are pretty insanely good. To be honest I don't mind them. Nothing wrong with it since it just increases the variety of builds you can come up against since it's an 'enabler'.
    DrAkuma

Post by DrAkuma Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 am

Thanks for welcoming me, and for the replies. Overall, after hearing some thoughts, and looking at the trio, Havel's Ring doesn't seem so bad now, seeing as there are other 'enabler' rings. I guess a part of me just wanted an excuse to stick to lighter, considerably cooler-looking armour. Still probably going to use FAP + Wolf ring though for the VIT, END and poise boost. Again, thanks for the opinions.
    DrAkuma

Post by DrAkuma Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:58 am

Odinbear wrote:Several rings make the game easier, unless you are extremely low level. Then they are there to give you that added edge. 
    I tend to get the Havel's ring for every build, now. ... mainly because he is such a hard fight at extremely low levels. Even with phantoms.
    Yeah, even with phantoms. My first time with him involved stressfully-timed rolls and desperate backstabs.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:20 am

Getting the ring is probably the biggest issue for most new players, however if you're someone like me that uses heavy armor and a STR weapon it still might not help with getting you even to a midroll.

I've only seen it useful when using a mix of light and medium armor because it get help get to a fast roll but that's about it.
    joey75421

Post by joey75421 Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:01 am

With the full giant armor set, havel's ring and FaP can be used to prevent you from going into the fat roll and instead staying at mid roll. Though it's possible to use full elite knight and fast roll as well.
    redwingsoverbaron
    redwingsoverbaron

Post by redwingsoverbaron Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:05 am

i run full black knight armor, w/ claymore,shotel and baldur shield with RoFaP and Havels, grants me fast roll at sl85, i believe BK is considered "heavy"? granted my offensive attributes suck ****, but chaos helps all of that.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:28 am

Funny, I never thought of Havel's as cheap.  Not FaP, either.  Use one or the other and most builds are only gonna manage 30(ish) poise with a slow fast roll.  Using them both gets you great poise but it's costing you both ring slots, so you deserve that poise.
    Since DWGR's nerfing the only ring I dislike anymore is the Wolf Ring.  It'd be perfect with 20 poise, but 40 poise on an ultra-fast roll is too much. 
    I remember doubting it when the Prepare to Die patch came out and people here were saying that the new builds would all center on the Wolf Ring.  Good call, those of you who saw it coming.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 am