Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
DyingAce
CakeThiefPro
Mental Gear
skarekrow13
PaganiniAlfredo
gcates
10 posters

Finally got back to playing the game...

gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Finally got back to playing the game... Empty Finally got back to playing the game...

Post by gcates Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 pm

I first posted here a long while back when I initially started playing the game, but I was in Afghanistan and kind of came to the conclusion that I didn't have the necessary time and attention to commit to this brilliant game, so I set it (and all other games) aside until I left theater.  Now I'm in SE Asia on some serious downtime, and I decided to start fresh on the PC Version. 

Thankfully, I did it all myself in the early going, so even picking it up now on PC it's a pretty much blind playthrough aside from what I had completed earlier (up to the dragon on the bridge).

I fell in love with this game once, and every couple of hours I am not only reminded why, but impressed even more by simply how amazing this game is. It's the game of the generation...maybe the best game I've ever played. It's capable of tapping into real emotion, forcing you to slowly walk into new areas or even stop and contemplating if you want to enter the next area yet. There are layers of mystery and truly deep story that get peeled back more and more as you venture deeper down the rabbit hole.

One of the more unique things about the game, to me, is that after a Boss there is that feeling of elation for having beaten it...quickly followed by that lingering dread of what is to come. I am doing pretty well as far as feeling my way around and finding how certain areas link together via clever shortcuts...though up until just now my progress had slightly stymied by the fact that I got killed by a giant hydra-type thing and lost a bunch of souls and humanity, so I kept trying to get it all back and escape without dying as there is a bonfire very close by. I really don't want to lose the 11 or so humanity and 9000 or so souls (which I know isn't that much, hell it's only another level at this point, but I want it back DAMMIT...and the humanity seems to help with quality of item drops).

It's not a game that is picked up casually and played for just a half hour or so, however. I know that if I log into it I'm going to get sucked in for 2+ hours at least, maybe quit for a bit then man up and give it another go. On this playthrough I think I've only died around 9-10 times thus far, and have yet to die and not regain my souls, so I'm feeling good.

I encounter new enemy types and can handle them right away, in some cases after some trial and error, and the best feeling was beating the gargoyles before the first bell on my first try. It took a while, but it worked and I felt bloody invincible...then I went into Darkroot Basin and fell of a cliff rolling away from a plant/tree guy who was trying to kill me...then I found an elevator that took me into the Valley of the Drakes and, well, the first Drake I encountered killed me promptly. Then the hydra thing...and that's where I've been at until a few minutes ago when I finally killed it.

I initially died by falling in the water running toward its body like an idiot, but I kept going back and killing the crystal giant things and working my way back to my souls, only to die again while trying to kill him, so it was an endless cycle. I took a day off due to the fact that I really didn't want to go through it again, but today I buckled down and made it happen. Kind of an easy fight once I figured it out, just time consuming and dangerous given how close to the edge of the deep water I had to be in order to engage the multiple heads. Now I can do what I was wanting to do prior to making the mistake of investigating that stupid thing...which was experiment with all my gear, grind for some souls to upgrade a new loadout, and choose a direction to progress toward. 

I love this game, and I really love how it intentionally frustrates you as a way to intensify the feeling of accomplishment once you've solved whatever puzzle that has you stuck. 

I know I'm early in the game and that most of you have probably beaten it dozens of times by now, but I just have to share this experience with someone, so I chose to return to these forums, not as a way to get tips or help, but as an outlet for discussion and whatnot. 

When I first came here it was to ask a question, and a wise man told me that it was better to figure it out myself, which I initially took offense to, but he was right.  I avoid spoilers like the plague and enjoy the game all the more for it.  Being able to step out onto that roof and engage the Gargoyles (well I thought it was only one at first, lol) and not accept the fact that I would die, but rather try to do it on the first try and succeed was a feeling unmatched by any game I've ever played.  Seeing a Black Knight now and not running away like in the Burg, but instead putting my shield up and advancing...it's just great that this world has taught me that I can prevail against all enemies if I think and calculate.

I cannot wait for Dark Souls II...I want to be there from the start this time just like many (I assume) of you were for the first and Demons Souls before it *still haven't played that yet.

I think I heard that the beta would be on PS3, if so I'll get one and finally get into Demons Souls as well.

Anyway...thanks for reading, and thanks for being here as a community.  I hope to be a more regular participant from here on out.
    PaganiniAlfredo

Finally got back to playing the game... Empty Re: Finally got back to playing the game...

Post by PaganiniAlfredo Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:36 pm

It's always fun to read about someone's first playthrough of the game, thanks for sharing. I bought this game the day it came out, being a a big fan of Demon's Souls. 

You're right though, it is one of those games that are considered to be among the greatest of games out there. And the struggles of beating it for the first time are memorable. I'll never forget my first horrifying trip through the catacombs. Or Senn's Fortress. And it's strange how some parts of the game are harder for some yet easier for others, and vice versa. It's such a cool game cause the length of life the PvP aspect gives it (i think). I hated PvP at first and was horrible at it for the longest time, buy consider myself decent at it now. but it sure took a while.

Keep us updated on your progress.
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Finally got back to playing the game... Empty Re: Finally got back to playing the game...

Post by gcates Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:04 pm

PaganiniAlfredo wrote:It's always fun to read about someone's first playthrough of the game, thanks for sharing. I bought this game the day it came out, being a a big fan of Demon's Souls. 

You're right though, it is one of those games that are considered to be among the greatest of games out there. And the struggles of beating it for the first time are memorable. I'll never forget my first horrifying trip through the catacombs. Or Senn's Fortress. And it's strange how some parts of the game are harder for some yet easier for others, and vice versa. It's such a cool game cause the length of life the PvP aspect gives it (i think). I hated PvP at first and was horrible at it for the longest time, buy consider myself decent at it now. but it sure took a while.

Keep us updated on your progress.
    Will do for sure.

Unfortunately, I'm not online at all with the game given that I'm living out of a hotel room with wifi that would not be conducive to a good online gaming experience, but that will all be changed when I get stateside before the year is out.

Right now, the hardest thing I have encountered in this game is that big knight that is at the bottom of the tower that links Darkroot Basin with the Undead Burg.  He's big, fast, takes very little damage, has good range on his attacks and does massive damage.  I think if I can kill him, and I feel like it has to be worth it as he HAS to have something of value...at least I would hope he drops more than a titanite Shard.  One thing that drives me crazy is how fast he runs with all that freakin armor.  First time I saw him I tried to outrun him and he killed me while I was climbing a ladder. 

Anyway, I think my next move is to explore the Darkroot Basin further.  I think I didn't fully explore the upper portion once I found the bonfire and the Hydra. 

Thanks for reading and responding :Beer:
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Good luck with that guy. Let us know when you get him.
    Mental Gear
    Mental Gear
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Mental Gear Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:22 am

Great review. Remembering now how intimidating this game was to me on my first playthrough. When I first came through the lower Undead Burg I was too scared to walk into the dark watery hole where you can find the female undead merchant blushing . Also didn't go online for the first two playthroughs, but it really is great to add the danger of being invaded once you know the game a bit better.
    There are also further levels of accomplishment to be found once you are able to beat difficult enemies with ease. Then you realise how much the game and the experience made you a better player.
    Def one of the most enthralling games ever.
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Spent some time experimenting with different weapons, ended up liking the Gargoyles Halberd a bit and settled on using that until my Strength is high enough to use the Black Knights Halberd.  Upgraded it to +5 and my Grass Crest Shield to +4.  Felt confident as a result and went to find Mr. Scary Knight and killed him after s good bit of sticking and moving and some backstabs.  He was tough, but worth the effort...and that ring he dropped is brilliant.  Havels Ring...very cool.

Now kinda contemplating where to go.  Think there is more to find in the Darkroot Garden/Basin.  Shrug
    CakeThiefPro
    CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Good luck, you've got a lot of great stuff ahead of you ^^

Also if you want help knowing where to go try reading item descriptions like keys and talking to NPCs, also a bit of random wandering never hurt anyone silly
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:30 pm

CakeThiefPro wrote:Good luck, you've got a lot of great stuff ahead of you ^^

Also if you want help knowing where to go try reading item descriptions like keys and talking to NPCs, also a bit of random wandering never hurt anyone silly
    Oh yea, I've done a good bit of wandering thus far...but I know there are many more I haven't even begun to find yet.  I probe, discover, then double back and see what I may have passed by before.  I like to see how everything connects sometimes before committing to a direction. 

The Valley of the Drakes really intrigues me, and I've found two ways in, but one seems like I'm not ready for it yet (from the cave bonfire in Darkroot down the elevator).
    CakeThiefPro
    CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:51 pm

gcates wrote:Oh yea, I've done a good bit of wandering thus far...but I know there are many more I haven't even begun to find yet.  I probe, discover, then double back and see what I may have passed by before.  I like to see how everything connects sometimes before committing to a direction. 

The Valley of the Drakes really intrigues me, and I've found two ways in, but one seems like I'm not ready for it yet (from the cave bonfire in Darkroot down the elevator).
    I don't want to give too much away but there are plenty of easier areas you can explore before Valley of the Drakes. I love helping people but I don't want to ruin the game so I wont say anymore...
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:42 am

CakeThiefPro wrote:I don't want to give too much away but there are plenty of easier areas you can explore before Valley of the Drakes. I love helping people but I don't want to ruin the game so I wont say anymore...
    Found my way to the Lower Undead Burg then decided to get some sleep.  happy  Seems promising.
    CakeThiefPro
    CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:11 am

gcates wrote:Found my way to the Lower Undead Burg then decided to get some sleep.  happy  Seems promising.
    Can't wait to see how you do in the following areas, good luck biggrin
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 am

Tooled around in the Undead Burg for a bit killing dogs and ninja thieves, found the shortcut back up to the Undead Burg.  Got distracted when I remembered I could buy boxes from the Blacksmith in the Undead Parish and would then be able to do weapon/armor upgrades at any bonfire, so I went back to the Parish to pick those up plus some more titanite.

Ventured back out into Darkroot Garden, and this time instead of going down into the Basin (I think that's what the lower part is called), went further forward.  Tree things are easy with my Gargoyles Halberd.  Anyway, found a nifty little bonfire behind a wall there.

Went through a white light door and into a larger area, kind of like a swamp.  Found these huge giant knights that looked dead at first.  They do some magic and generally kicked my behind in...but they get up slow so its easy to get back In there and retrieve my souls, and glad I did go back because I found a good armor set back there, the Elite Knight set.  I can wear it pretty well thanks to Havels ring, but I do hate how noisy it is.  I'll get over it...it's way better than anything I had, especially after I upgraded each component at least once.

In that same area I found a tree that I could kill...kinda found that out by accident when I was practicing my jump back/dash forward move with my Halberd, lol.  There was a path back there...killed a weird Frog/Stingray hybrid.  Further down found a staircase, woke up another Giant Knight at the top and he knocked me off a cliff.  When I went back to get my souls, I found an item right near them that I grabbed before running away from him again, something called the Wolf Ring.  It says it increases poise, so I'll see if it's worth keeping on my finger.  The only other one I have besides Havels ring (which I will probably keep forever) is some nonsense that increases my Defense when my HP gets low.  I'd rather something that is always improving a stat or something, so the Wolf Ring it is for the time being. 

Saw a giant bird or dragon above me while in the Darkroot Garden as well.  Thought about trying to shoot it with arrows, but thought the better of it.  I have a feeling it's either a boss or something like the Hydra, so I'll try to navigate to it.  I might need that Crest the blacksmith sells to get through the door near the bonfire I found behind that wall.  Anyway...

Oh yea, remembered what to do with my Firekeepers Soul.  Took the elevator from Parish to Firelink and went back to the mute chick, reinforced my estus, but then that Golden Knight I let out of jail was there.  Talked to him and he gave me a medal or coin...can't remember.  Seems pointless, but who knows.

So yea, didn't do much but explore, but I have two directions worth going at this point.  I think I'll go after that bird/dragon since I know it's close, then I'll go back down to the Lower Undead Burg. 

BTW...I know this is probably all boring for most since it's all early game stuff everyone has done millions of times before, and sorry if it is.  Just kinda wanting to keep a log of what's going on and perhaps have some good organic discussion as a result.

Anyway, thanks for reading.  Still loving every second of this game.
    CakeThiefPro
    CakeThiefPro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CakeThiefPro Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Good stuff, poise is a stat that once you have a certain amount of it, it becomes harder for enemies to stagger you (I can't remember the different levels off the top of my head sorry).

Enjoy killing the bird/dragon thing. It is possible.

Then please let me know when you return to the Lower Undead Burg because it's got one hell of a boss fight ^^
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Well...got a few updates.  Didn't get online much as I had to cross the border into Laos for some immigration stuff, but I'm back for those who are interested.

Found my way up to the Moonlight Butterfly, was kinda confused initially since you can see it from the ground but it's not visible once you traverse the white light.  I thought this would be very, very difficult as it appeared to be a ranged fight exclusively and I'm playing a pure melee Warrior, though I do have a +2 longbow, but arrows can be hard to catch it with and you have to be moving constantly to avoid its magic.  Thankfully, the developers made it land on the walkway for no reason (seemingly) so my +5 Gargoyles Halberd could do work.  Was just a matter of dodging and waiting for my opening after I learned that.  Easy enough.

Went up to the top of the tower that opens up after the boss fight and got the ember and other stuff...then promptly took a wrong step and fell through the gap in the winding staircase to my death.  happy  Was able to get my souls back easily enough though.

After that, went back to the Lower Undead Burg.  I think I'm well-equipped as I can handle the enemies easy enough and wasn't taking too much damage.  I'm wearing the Elite Knight Armor with +2 on the helmet and gauntlets, +3 on the armor and leggings.  Seems good.  Not sure if it will become worthless later though.

Found the Capra Demon...talk about not giving you time to even think.  I took about 50% damage from him and the dogs as I just raised my shield to absorb the first blows then broke for that staircase.  Made it to the top and started to drink and Estus when the dogs got to me and kept me around half health.  Capra got me shortly after.  Very small area they put that fight in. 

On my second try I broke for the staircase before getting hit much and was able to take the dogs out...after that it was relatively easy.  He's slow, so if you just keep some distance and use the staircase, you can get some hits.  I have a feeling if I hadn't upgraded my armor or vitality it would have been a completely different story.  Definitely one of the harder bosses so far though (Hydra, while not a boss, was hardest for me to this point) and easily the coolest looking, but I think they made it easier my making the room so small...it kinda makes the staircase more useful that it would be otherwise in my opinion. 

I also am starting to suspect I may have leveled myself a bit ahead of my progression...I'm a grinder with RPGs...always have been, so I had been running the Undead Burg a bit and a few other areas to level up and upgrade equipment.  I'm sure the game will show me I'm wrong in short order, especially considering I still have yet to be able to kill a Stone Knight...so I can't be that overpowered.

Need to find a key for a door in the Lower Burg...someone is talking but I can't open the door.

Found a merchant selling Humanity and such...that's good so I don't have to be so attached to my humanity if I die. 

Now I'm kinda unsure of which direction to move...but I have an idea.  I can buy that Crest from the blacksmith to open that door in Darkroot Garden.  Makes sense...I also got a key to the Depths, but not sure of where that is.  I'll find it though.  Either that or the dragon on the bridge...he's still there.

Really liking my loadout, but with this game it's so hard to know if you're well-equipped without searching stuff online, and I really want to avoid spoilers of any kind as much as possible. 

Oh, linked the sewer from the Lower Burg to Firelink as well.
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:57 pm

CakeThiefPro wrote:Good stuff, poise is a stat that once you have a certain amount of it, it becomes harder for enemies to stagger you (I can't remember the different levels off the top of my head sorry).

Enjoy killing the bird/dragon thing. It is possible.

Then please let me know when you return to the Lower Undead Burg because it's got one hell of a boss fight ^^
    I feel like the Capra Demon was supposed to be harder...that's why I think I overleveled myself a bit perhaps.  He did kill me once though...more than the Taurus Demon or Moonlight Butterfly can say, lol.

Poise might have helped as well since he didn't seem to stagger me like other enemies earlier...not sure, but I have a feeling that could have made it easier than if I didn't have that ring.

I will say that the level design with regards to boss fights is very good as it kind of tells you subtly how to handle it.  With the Taurus those archers are kind of like a beacon...they force you up the ladder before encountering the boss (if you're lucky), and since you're somewhat fresh from the Asylum Demon you remember the plunging strikes, well at least I did.

The Capra Demon was similar, with such a small area, the staircase was the only way to get any advantage in that fight, so they kinda forced you to figure that out.

Others have no hints, like the Hydra.  Just try to figure out how to avoid the magic, then what the hell do I do with all these heads...and oh yea, you might roll into the water and die instantly. 

Love the variety in the bosses/tougher enemies.

Side note:  the combat in this game is the best in any other game I have ever played...of any genre.  Heavy, dangerous, spacing and timing focused...it keeps the game fun no matter where I am, and then the atmosphere and fear of the unknown keeps me sucked in.  I know I probably have just begun scratching the surface, but what I have played to this point is far and away more epic than any other game I've ever played. 

Last edited by gcates on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:04 pm

It sounds like you're well equipped right now actually. I'm a grinder like you so I was "overleveled" as well. On the flip side I'm a hoarder so I didn't have very well upgraded anything. I won't give any spoilers but I think you'll find the game is pretty fairly designed. You've done well tactically so you might not find the game is as hard as the press wants people to believe. A quick evaluation of the situation and attempting with a different strategy is usually good enough to get the win without too much hassle.

Keep it up. I've enjoyed reading this.
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:It sounds like you're well equipped right now actually.  I'm a grinder like you so I was "overleveled" as well. On the flip side I'm a hoarder so I didn't have very well upgraded anything.  I won't give any spoilers but I think you'll find the game is pretty fairly designed. You've done well tactically so you might not find the game is as hard as the press wants people to believe.  A quick evaluation of the situation and attempting with a different strategy is usually good enough to get the win without too much hassle.

Keep it up.  I've enjoyed reading this.  
    Thanks.  I really love this game and am amazed that it not only lived up to the hype, but for me, it's exceeded it.

I'll keep plugging away at it and updating here, but I'll try to keep it interesting as much as possible, and I might experiment with Fraps and see if I can make a video of some gameplay, but no promises as I've never used it before and not sure if my laptop can handle it or not.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone greatly.  Hurrah Sun Praise the Sun!
    PaganiniAlfredo

Post by PaganiniAlfredo Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Sounds like you're doing fairly well as far as figuring out what to do without help from the wiki or elsewhere. I remember the game at first seemed overwhelming as far as what to do/where to go... but if you just poke around you'll get funneled in the right direction eventually. winking

I almost wish I could have an operation so I could play the game like it was brand new lol, Dark Souls 2 seems so far away. 

But I do have to say the game has an extraordinary length and depth to it. I didn't beat if for a year and a half I think but that was because of two boss fights I found almost impossible. I still play it regularly. And starting a new character from scratch never gets old. 

But... sounds like you're ready for the Depths???
    DyingAce
    DyingAce
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DyingAce Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm

So Taurus, Moonlight butterfly, Capra, and Darkroot basin Hydra have been slain so far. The Elite set is a nice armor for how early you can get it & is pretty. Gargoyle halberd is a weapon I like too with its dmg, moveset, resistance boost & appearance. I wonder if you'll still prefer it the Black Knight Halberd but you're doing pve so dmg is more alluring than one annoying aspect of the Black Knight weapons. Sounds like you're doing fine Hurrah  What starting gift did you pick?And what's your soul level at?Gimme them stats bounce 

The Valley of the Drakes does allow backdoor access to an area that I'm looking forward to reading about big grin  but rushing past the drakes on the correct path way prob would take more time than the usual way that you're moving towards. I tried to avoid the wiki on my first playthrough but cracked a few times with certain things. It's interesting what you pick up on and miss with this game that tends to leave figuring it out to diligent exploring, experimenting, dying.
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:23 pm

DyingAce wrote:So Taurus, Moonlight butterfly, Capra, and Darkroot basin Hydra have been slain so far. The Elite set is a nice armor for how early you can get it & is pretty. Gargoyle halberd is a weapon I like too with its dmg, moveset, resistance boost & appearance. I wonder if you'll still prefer it the Black Knight Halberd but you're doing pve so dmg is more alluring than one annoying aspect of the Black Knight weapons. Sounds like you're doing fine Hurrah  What starting gift did you pick?And what's your soul level at?Gimme them stats bounce 

The Valley of the Drakes does allow backdoor access to an area that I'm looking forward to reading about big grin  but rushing past the drakes on the correct path way prob would take more time than the usual way that you're moving towards. I tried to avoid the wiki on my first playthrough but cracked a few times with certain things. It's interesting what you pick up on and miss with this game that tends to leave figuring it out to diligent exploring, experimenting, dying.
    I'm starting to question if the Black Knight Halberd is really worth the wait to 37 STR, to be honest. 

For starting gift, I picked the Master Key...though that only seems to help in very specific areas.  It might even be a detriment in some cases.  It really seems like it would have more benefit for a second playthrough or something, for someone who already knows shortcuts and such.  With that being said, I'm glad I picked it and the only other one I considered was the Tiny Beings Ring.

I'm almost embarrassed to divulge my Soul Level, as it would tell you how much grinding I did of late.  I'm sitting at 50 as of now...had a boatload of souls to use after the Capra Demon and dumped a bunch into VIT, STR, END, DEX and I think a few into RES.  If I recall correctly, my STR is at 27, VIT is 22, DEX around 20, RES 17, END 20/21..I cant remember everything offhand, but those are the ballparks...haven't upped Attunement, Intelligence, Faith/Luck (can't remember what it is)...basically only adding to those listed above. 

My Humanity is at 8 right now with a few in my inventory just saving if need be. 

I did find access to the Valley of the Drakes from New Londo much earlier...but it was scary with all the wind so I never ventured far.  happy

I'm sure I'm a tad overlevelled right now, but I have to start venturing out and will do my best not to rely on grinding for stats if I can avoid it.  I'd prefer that over searching for help though, and honestly grinding can't be seen as cheap since it's kind of part of the deal...if enemies respawn when you rest at a bonfire and you level up there, seems more like just using a game mechanic that is laid out in front of you.  I can see how it can be a bit abusive though, which is why I felt kinda guilty and less accomplished after killing the Capra Demon than I did when I killed the Gargoyles.
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:33 pm

PaganiniAlfredo wrote:Sounds like you're doing fairly well as far as figuring out what to do without help from the wiki or elsewhere. I remember the game at first seemed overwhelming as far as what to do/where to go... but if you just poke around you'll get funneled in the right direction eventually. winking

I almost wish I could have an operation so I could play the game like it was brand new lol, Dark Souls 2 seems so far away. 

But I do have to say the game has an extraordinary length and depth to it. I didn't beat if for a year and a half I think but that was because of two boss fights I found almost impossible. I still play it regularly. And starting a new character from scratch never gets old. 

But... sounds like you're ready for the Depths???
    I think I have 15 hours in, maybe a bit more, and I'm sure I have 50 or more to go...at the very least.  Could be hundreds...and I too am very excited for DSII, though I plan on beating this one first.

I know what you mean about bosses feeling impossible.  I was so stuck on the Hydra...so intent upon getting my humanity and souls back...so tired of killing the crystal giants/golems just to get there.  I kept trying to regain my power then use the homeward bone to get back to my bonfire, but I always dies while in the animation.  I felt like quitting a couple of times because I couldn't fathom beating it...but then I just buckled down and kept at it, finally got him on like the 10th-11th try or so.  I have a feeling that won't be the last time.
    PaganiniAlfredo

Post by PaganiniAlfredo Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm

The hard part of the game is knowing which battles to fight regarding areas/bosses. You really have to pay attention to what the NPC characters say and I've always loved that about the game. They're the only ones to help you (if playing it blind). I think the NPC's are such a great part of it too.

And just a friendly piece of advice, if I were you I would start pumping up vitality. You'll be needing it for sure. I've always had that stat on par or greater than any of my stats at any given time. I wouldn't worry about strength too much (unless you raised it that high for a certain weapon??)
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:26 am

PaganiniAlfredo wrote:The hard part of the game is knowing which battles to fight regarding areas/bosses. You really have to pay attention to what the NPC characters say and I've always loved that about the game. They're the only ones to help you (if playing it blind). I think the NPC's are such a great part of it too.

And just a friendly piece of advice, if I were you I would start pumping up vitality. You'll be needing it for sure. I've always had that stat on par or greater than any of my stats at any given time. I wouldn't worry about strength too much (unless you raised it that high for a certain weapon??)
    I was shooting to use the Black Knights Halberd which requires 37 STR, and until I got there I decided to use the Gargoyles Halberd as a stop-gap...but now I am in love with the Gargoyles Halberd so I decided to leave STR alone for a bit.

My favorite NPC so far is Lautrec, the guy I let out of prison, then that dude with the weird, round helmet sitting in front of that huge gate.  Then there's Andre the blacksmith...super cool.
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 am

Found the Depths...can't believe I missed that door before.  Interesting thus far.  Freed a guy from a barrel, and those cannibals are rather formidable.  Slime things were interesting to adjust to...I now keep my eyes to the ceiling whenever possible.  Killed another Caster.

Keep falling down random drainages, found some crazy bug eyed frogs.  Worked my way back up to my bonfire after a while of falling and wrong turns.  NEED to find a way to that giant rat.  I did get a key, so I just need to find the appropriate door.

In any case, making progress, however slow and steady.  Also trying to figure out what I need to upgrade my Gargoyles Halberd past +5.  Apparently not regular titanite Shards or Chunks...must be something else.  It's still plenty effective for the time being. 

Wondering where that second bell is...I remember that Crestfallen guy at Firelink said it was down, so I might be close.  Another boss fight looming, perhaps?
    gcates
    gcates
    Casual
    Casual

Post by gcates Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:36 am

Oh, and totally forgot to mention how frightening it was when it said I was being invaded.  Must be intentionally put in the offline game just so people like myself can still get that same experience, just on a lower level of intensity than I would assume the online mode is.  Either that or the game forced itself into online mode, but I don't think that's possible.  I killed the invader and felt fantastic about myself happy.  Got like 6000 souls for him too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 am