Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Forum Pirate
Kiva the wanderer
6 posters

PS4 or PC

Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

PS4  or PC Empty PS4 or PC

Post by Kiva the wanderer Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 pm

So im split here , i want the PS4 but the PC is a road i will eventually travel
    Now can anyone help me decide?
    Pros and cons would be cool.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

PS4  or PC Empty Re: PS4 or PC

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Not even close to comprehensive list

ps4 convience (as in put in game and play, no hassle), one time purchase. 

more expensive games, lesser graphics.

PC More indy stuff, upgradeable, mods, graphics settings, bigger downloadable libraries, remappable controls, cheaper (new) games

Requires upgrading year to year to run new games at max, expensive, don't actually own many of your downloaded games, smaller community on many multi-platform games, hackers are a bigger issue (in game.)

Thats off the top of my head, but the biggest pro to consoles is really convienience. No hassle, no tech crap to buy and install, data installs are infrequent.
    Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Not even close to comprehensive list

ps4 convience (as in put in game and play, no hassle), one time purchase. 

more expensive games, lesser graphics.

PC More indy stuff, upgradeable, mods, graphics settings, bigger downloadable libraries, remappable controls, cheaper (new) games

Requires upgrading year to year to run new games at max, expensive, don't actually own many of your downloaded games, smaller community on many multi-platform games, hackers are a bigger issue (in game.)

Thats off the top of my head, but the biggest pro to consoles is really convienience. No hassle, no tech crap to buy and install, data installs are infrequent.
    i get told its down to prefference, i like consoles but the pc is looking so inviting.

Are you on PC or console?
    NathanC
    NathanC
    Casual
    Casual

Post by NathanC Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Like it was said, the ps4 is a one time buy.

However, if you build your PC right, you won't have to upgrade it year to year. That's just silly.

My first build out performed the 360 and the ps3. It didn't need an upgrade for four year. It was initially a $600 build. The upgrade was about $130. But now it's good for another 3-4 years. And games are a helluvah lot cheaper.

That and the price of PC parts have dropped dramatically. I set up build for my younger brother for Christmas. Even with my upgrade, his slightly out preforms mine in all areas of performance. It was only $500.  That was a year ago, so things have probably just gotten cheaper.

Now, with a PS4. Once you buy it, your done. As compared to a PC, it's very no hassle. But, you don't quite get the user control you do with a pc. Which is what a lot of people consider the hassle. But meh.

So I'd push you to get a nice rig. If you're interested, I'd love to help you set one up, just pm me.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 pm

console, i'm way to lazy to pc game except for mmos and evochron. also, mouse and keyboard controls are horrid, imo.
    Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:console, i'm way to lazy to pc game except for mmos and evochron. also, mouse and keyboard controls are horrid, imo.
    glad i aint the only one,whew.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 am

PC.

If you do a build right and buy a fair few games,you could actually spend less than you would on a console since PC games are much cheaper. The PC community for each game may be smaller but in my experience,they have been more mature(Even the kids) compared to the 360. With console emulators and the ability to play old games,you have the option of playing a hell of a lot more games. The graphics look better,even on multiplatform games (Look up Skyrim with ENB). Speaking of Skyrim,the mods for certain games,especially Bethesda and Valve titles can be complete game changers,I highly recommend them. And lastly,if you are concerned about having to use a mouse and keyboard,you don't. I bought a wired 360 controller for my PC and use a free program called XPadder to set up controls for it,I can play any PC game with a controller.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 am

can yes, but many are not made for it. (i have joy-to-key) and in multiplayer games (eg mmo's) it can be a significant handicap, even if done really well.

For the record, a brand new ps 4? 400. a brand new pc that can run most modern games at max settings? around 700, and thats if you buy the parts individually instead of as a warrantied unit. If one is buying new and AAA games, and saving maybe $20 a game, thats 15 games before any money is potentially saved, and where you say cheaper games i say used games, which can and do drop in price quickly and can save just as much money.

In my experience, it would take me years of buying games to make a pc actually end up cheaper, because i tend to buy used or buy new after the price has dropped, with rare exceptions (and rarely are there more than 2 of those a year.)

As i said though, i'm really just to lazy to want to deal with pc gaming, and i really don't consider mods a big plus. i don't really care about them, and making them work properly can be problematic. Not that i can fault others for wanting them.

still, if i put a game i just bought in my system, and its not playing inside 30 seconds, i'm now unhappy. If i buy a game and files are missing/corrupted during the download, and i now have to manually write the damn things myself, i'm extremely unhappy. (that has only happened once but still. 3 days it took to be able to play the freaking thing.)

All i want is to play the game, it could look like chronotrigger so long as i can tell whats going on, i'm pretty much set.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:33 am

KrazykevS10 wrote:PC.

If you do a build right and buy a fair few games,you could actually spend less than you would on a console since PC games are much cheaper. The PC community for each game may be smaller but in my experience,they have been more mature(Even the kids) compared to the 360. With console emulators and the ability to play old games,you have the option of playing a hell of a lot more games. The graphics look better,even on multiplatform games (Look up Skyrim with ENB). Speaking of Skyrim,the mods for certain games,especially Bethesda and Valve titles can be complete game changers,I highly recommend them. And lastly,if you are concerned about having to use a mouse and keyboard,you don't. I bought a wired 360 controller for my PC and use a free program called XPadder to set up controls for it,I can play any PC game with a controller.
    For me the way a game looks means little to nothing, like, dark souls on max settings compared to min honestly don't concern me and constols almost always have a nice enough look to them. I like the way playing on my PS3 feels, its more relaxed, its more for the fun!
    NathanC
    NathanC
    Casual
    Casual

Post by NathanC Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:22 am

KrazykevS10 wrote:
    I bought a wired 360 controller for my PC and use a free program called XPadder to set up controls for it,I can play any PC game with a controller.
    Actually Microshaft has it's own official drivers to make a 360 controller work. Just throwing that out there. Some people are kinda iffy when it comes to 3rd party software(I don't blame them)

And I still have to argue the prices being thrown around here.

A build with a 500GB hard drive, 8GB of RAM, a Tri-core 3.0GHz cpu, and a seriously wicked graphics card(I forget the model off the top of my head), and windows 7 64-bit will only set you back $550 tops. Again, I managed it with $512. That's after shipping and such.

And as far as aesthetics go, this also included a cool case that glows blue. Or any color or no color at all should you choose. But that's not quite as important.
    Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

NathanC wrote:
    KrazykevS10 wrote:
    I bought a wired 360 controller for my PC and use a free program called XPadder to set up controls for it,I can play any PC game with a controller.
    Actually Microshaft has it's own official drivers to make a 360 controller work. Just throwing that out there. Some people are kinda iffy when it comes to 3rd party software(I don't blame them)

And I still have to argue the prices being thrown around here.

A build with a 500GB hard drive, 8GB of RAM, a Tri-core 3.0GHz cpu, and a seriously wicked graphics card(I forget the model off the top of my head), and windows 7 64-bit will only set you back $550 tops. Again, I managed it with $512. That's after shipping and such.

And as far as aesthetics go, this also included a cool case that glows blue. Or any color or no color at all should you choose. But that's not quite as important.
    can you pm me the parts i would need? mother boards and such?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:02 pm

The biggest factor for me honestly is location. Unless I get a gaming PC with HDMI out (as my big TV doesn't have a PC input) it's getting a monitor or hooked to the upstairs TV which is a lot smaller and a lot less convenient. So basically, what I'm saying is I prefer games on the couch in front of the 65" screen. And if I did get the HDMI out, it means that if someone wants to use it as say...a PC...while the TV is in use it's a problem. I could go gaming laptop which is the best of all worlds but like a certain Pirate has stated, I want to be able to play my game inside of 30 seconds. I don't wanna worry about; where do I place the laptop, what am I connecting it to, etc. etc. all the time.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:14 pm

NathanC wrote:Actually Microshaft has it's own official drivers to make a 360 controller work. Just throwing that out there.
    The drivers only let the PC recognise that the controller is connected,they do not let you configure controls. The program I was talking about pretty much emulates a keyboard and mouse but on a controller. For example,I can map the right stick to mouse movement and use it to not only turn in game but also use it on the desktop instead of a mouse.

It just makes it so that I can play PC games while I lay in bed which is awesome.
    NathanC
    NathanC
    Casual
    Casual

Post by NathanC Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm

KrazykevS10 wrote:
    NathanC wrote:Actually Microshaft has it's own official drivers to make a 360 controller work. Just throwing that out there.
    The drivers only let the PC recognise that the controller is connected,they do not let you configure controls. The program I was talking about pretty much emulates a keyboard and mouse but on a controller. For example,I can map the right stick to mouse movement and use it to not only turn in game but also use it on the desktop instead of a mouse.

It just makes it so that I can play PC games while I lay in bed which is awesome.
    That's more than a little cool. I'm going to have to look into that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm