Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
AnCapaillMor
Reaperfan
FexDS
barrywilkins
8 posters

Excuse me as I vent

barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Excuse me as I vent Empty Excuse me as I vent

Post by barrywilkins Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 am

So yeah...kinda mad right now.  Just finished a game of Dota 2 that makes me want to punch a wall into dust.  Iunno if anyone here really plays it, so I won't go into detail but, essentially the game is a 5 v 5 match, and the goal is to destroy the enemies main building.  I've been playing with my newb friend a lot lately, so he is usually a non-factor at best.  He invites this guy neither of us know to the party because said guy, lets call him Billy asked if he could play with us.

We all pick our heroes and commence the game.  I happen to be a hero that can't really do much to the enemies until hes amassed quite a bit of gold and exp, at which point hes essentially unstoppable.  Most of the time, my allies can't hold out long enough against the enemy team to allow me to reach this point.  I do the best I can to help them out, but it never seems to be enough.  This game though...was different.  I actually did manage to grab myself some gold and levels, and my team was holding out.  Not ideally, but we were hanging on.

Around 25 minutes into the game, Billy suggests he should just quit the game because, we're obviously going to lose and shouldn't waste our time.  Everyone else points out that while the situation isn't ideal, its still quite possible to win.  He isn't satisfied with that answer even after I manage to land a triple kill less than 5 minutes later and tells us hes gonna go afk for a minute. 10 minutes later, he still isn't back.  We've lost most of our outer defences, but clashes with the enemy team usually end in victory at this point so all we need is a good fight and victory is ours.

Billy returns from his..whatever he was doing, and walks into the enemy team just so they can end the game faster.  Its pretty tense now, because 3 of us are going on a full on offensive to try and take back lost territory while he and another teammate stand by to defend another front.  Sure enough, the enemy realize they can't take us on and race to destroy our main building.  It's up to Billy and Carl to hold the line long enough for us to get back.  Carl defends with everything he has, but unfortunately cannot stand before the enemy alone. 

Where was Billy? Less than 5 ft away, watching Carl die.  As though to say: I don't care if I lose, as long as the rest of you lose with me.  A game that went on for more than an hour an almost assured victory, snatched out from under us by our own teammate deciding he'd rather see us lose for not winning sooner.  I'm not usually one to get angry at other people, but I completely lost it at this.

I wish I could say this is just one bad experience, but the whole community seems to be filled with these scumbags.  I've got quite a few years of experience with the genre, so its not culture shock or anything.  So many people seem to not give a rats patootey about their teammates, and just want to stomp the enemy team.  Failing that, they'll settle for making their teammates pay for their mistakes.  So many games where 5 minutes in, a guy isn't destroying the enemy like they're wheat to his scythe so he decides its his teams fault and does everything in his power to make them lose.  I think I need a break from dealing with these dirtbags.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Excuse me as I vent Empty Re: Excuse me as I vent

Post by FexDS Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 am

That sounds unfortunate, I rather people don't give up...

That said, I imagine these people are not members of our forums?
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 am

If there's one thing I've learned playing MOBAs, it's that the thing that kills any chance of victory, more so than being at a gold or objective disadvantage, it's having someone who's emotionally down. As soon as someone on your team has given up on the game you've essentially lost, even if you were winning beforehand. They will no longer work with your team towards any advancement, will constantly be making bad decisions that bring your whole team down, and sometimes will actively try to sabotage your team's chances at victory. So in a way, the downer player is always right, their team is going to lose. But rarely will it actually be because of a mechanical or strategic disadvantage. In the end, you're better off just agreeing with them and opting for an early surrender, since the less time you spend playing with someone who's not invested in the experience the better.
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 am

In the end, you're better off just agreeing with them and opting for an early surrender, since the less time you spend playing with someone who's not invested in the experience the better.
    No surrender option is currently in place in Dota 2.  Honestly, I would rather it stays that way.  It was a feature in Dota 1, and I saw it constantly used just because someone got bored and didn't want to get banned for leaving, or for trying to force a game to end early.  Still, I wish at least people would have the common decency to finish what they started.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:06 am

His first name wasn't Leeroy by any chance.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:50 pm

barrywilkins wrote:
    In the end, you're better off just agreeing with them and opting for an early surrender, since the less time you spend playing with someone who's not invested in the experience the better.
    No surrender option is currently in place in Dota 2.  Honestly, I would rather it stays that way.  It was a feature in Dota 1, and I saw it constantly used just because someone got bored and didn't want to get banned for leaving, or for trying to force a game to end early.  Still, I wish at least people would have the common decency to finish what they started.
    It always bothered me when people surrendered in League of Legends, right as we were about to lose. Every time a surrender vote comes up, I always vote against it. When the majority vote is a surrender, I sit there, dumbfounded. I mean really? Can they not accept defeat with some semblance of humility and grace, that they'd rather just throw in the towel than maybe try and turn it around?
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:59 pm

It always bothered me when people surrendered in League of Legends, right as we were about to lose. Every time a surrender vote comes up, I always vote against it. When the majority vote is a surrender, I sit there, dumbfounded. I mean really? Can they not accept defeat with some semblance of humility and grace, that they'd rather just throw in the towel than maybe try and turn it around?
    Yeah, no surrender is my motto when it comes to games like this.  It doesn't feel good to win a game just because everyone on the opposing team left, and I extend this same courtesy towards my enemies.  I can't see how it'd feel good seeing everyone just walk away when you haven't even taken a barracks yet.  Even if I know its a hopeless situation, I will stand my ground and fight.  Some of my favorite games have been losses we knew were coming, but refused to give up.  Last stands are always fun!
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm not really into games like those but I understand what you mean. I can't remember how many times in Battlefield I've watched people sit in the spawn area,spinning in circles rather than get out there and help us win. I find it very irritating and make good use of the player review function when the match ends. I don't expect perfection from any team,all I expect is some effort. You get really tired of the lazy players,as if it takes so much effort to play a game. I always try to get our team a win and usually come top of our team due to all the lazy players camping.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Usually when I play a MOBA and my team is failing hard and arguing, I ask to join the enemy team by walking around without attacking and talking in all-chat

I'll try up until my team is throwing stuff at each other in all-chat, once that happens I start conversing with the enemy team.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Whenever someone decides it is time to surrender in a MOBA game(I've only played League of Legends) I decide to make them suffer as long as possible. Oh, you are complaining that you are doing bad and want to surrender? TIME TO GO HAM ON THE ENEMY TEAM!

You decide you don't want to do anything anymore? Okay, more minion kills for me.

There are plenty of times where I have seen my team in an obvious losing position but still fought and kept the game going for as long as I can, in a small hope that we may win but mostly just to spite them. Since I usually play with two other people, I can usually make sure that the surrender vote won't go through. And there have been some pretty great last stands that have happened due to my stubbornness to not surrender, even when we are about to lose.

Also, yes, I really, really hate the people that decide to surrender right before we are about to lose.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 pm