Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
skarekrow13
Marino.
Hugh_G_Johnson
WaffleGuy
reim0027
FexDS
Bontee
twigsterxd
Hatsune Miku
Reaperfan
Zeta Prime
GrinTwist
Rynn
Onion Knight
jaythibodeau
Carphil
The Letter X
Sentiel
Leet
Dibsville
Soul of Stray Demon
Shakie666
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Soris Ice Goldwing
Latitoast
Emergence
Serious_Much
31 posters

New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs - Page 3 Empty Re: New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 pm

It is hilarious to kinda know that "Discoveries you only made recently" is THE MOST popular topic of ALL TIME though <3
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs - Page 3 Empty Re: New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs

Post by Leet Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:31 pm

I think we've all came to the consensus it's cluttered. silly 
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Rather than simply saying to change it back, perhaps we should find something else to do with it.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Rynn wrote:It is hilarious to kinda know that "Discoveries you only made recently" is THE MOST popular topic of ALL TIME though <3
    Now you've done it Forum, you've fed the ego super-narcissism proteins. We'll never hear the end of it now. winking silly 
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Rynn wrote:Rather than simply saying to change it back, perhaps we should find something else to do with it.
    There's 3 of us in chat right now discussing alternative ways. Hopefully an admin comes in or checks the archives big grin
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 pm

As I said before I went to bed last night and several times doing the past 4 days: the only way to test the themes fitting on screens that aren't average is to make it live, hence here we are. It fits fine on my screens but I have no way of knowing yours.

Our previous theme had a very clean look but was aalso a black hole for information since we had little means to call attention to important subjects like the wiki progress. We are working towards improving our "at a glance" of information and like any change of its form I expect it will feel like too much for a few days.The widget content is placeholder and intended to be replaced as we go along, and we have the option to make 1 sidebar instead of two - but i needed to test background witdhts on your ends first so we can find the % that works.

Ftr: sorry you don't want to see ads. A shame money for new software won't spontaneously appear.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm fine with ads, the bills need to be paid and I'm more than happy to help in whatever small capacity I can so they're alright.

But as I've told you a week or so ago (and as others have wrote here) I'm limited to only mobile devices and a netbook these days and this new layout is very difficult for me navigate.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 pm

No one has really said anything about ads. It's the widgets.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:02 pm

TooLeet wrote:No one has really said anything about ads. It's the widgets.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Leet go read back - things about the ads were certainly said happy

Pendant, you can use the mobile version for mobile browsing, it removes all themes and makes it bland but it works perfectly silly

As I said, we will work on widget content to improve looks/etc, this was not intended to be final and the reason I asked Serious to create this thread the moment it went live.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:05 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    Rynn wrote:It is hilarious to kinda know that "Discoveries you only made recently" is THE MOST popular topic of ALL TIME though <3
    Now you've done it Forum, you've fed the ego super-narcissism proteins. We'll never hear the end of it now. winking silly 
    Like I've ever been one to really brag.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:07 pm

FexDS wrote:

Pendant, you can use the mobile version for mobile browsing, it removes all themes and makes it bland but it works perfectly silly

I'll do that then. I just have had it on the classic Forum look for so long on my mobile that I didn't even think of it.bounce
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 pm

I like the new info. On my screen, the columns aren't symmetrical with the background, but that may be a tough fix.

It is a little cluttered, but it isn't bad and the new readily accessible info is nice.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 pm

BUG DETECTED!

Bug:

...:

So, as I said before, it's a bit all at once, but I like that you can see the calendar for events and new topics created first thing when you get to the page silly
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:21 pm

1366 x 768:
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Fex check the far right of this pic where the widget is plz.

New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs - Page 3 Fex210
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Serious_Much wrote:lol. I just feel sorry for our OCD friends who may be trying to use their laptops like a touch screen to move that final tab back to where it belongs silly
    straight face  not talking

I have to scroll right to see anything.  And it looks out of place without a background; I thought there was a problem loading the page the first time I saw it.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:12 am

Okay, i've disabled Adblocker for this site and Fextralife .

Now, what is the Calendar in the top left for ?
    And i think the "Latest Topic" section looks kind of cluttered and i think it's unneeded since you can just manually check if there are new Topics, but that could just be me .

Can't we just cut the stuff from the left side to have more room for the posts ?
    Some Signatures for example are cut off for me .

FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:18 am

I needed more information on resolutions and stuff to implement more tweaks, please post me your resolutions and browsers if having issues. Also noteworthy, the built-in forumotion widgets suck :PI'll rebuild them as we go along but it's a time consuming process so please be patient.

I'm going to be testing several things for the next few days, so expect pages to load oddly here and there. And Marino yes, next thing to test out is if one column of widgets works happy\

Calendar: This will change specific event dates to a different color when we have fightclubs or covenant stuff scheduled. There are no events currently booked so nothing showing, but it would be a quick reminder for people of what is happening and when, and it gives exposure to people who don't read covenant sections and such.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:27 am

Here's mine, if it helps. I use Chrome.

1680 x 1050:

Doesn't look too bad in the picture, but it gets in my way a lot.

Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 am

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    Onion Knight wrote:Quick! Everyone get mad!
    Lol, so perfect
    Is that some sort of mean gist at everyone who doesn't like it?
    It's a typical internet trollish reaction to negative opinions originating from the simple "If you don't have anything positive to say, remain silent" attitude.

Fex, a good example.
    I don't read Covenant section, because I don't care about it, thus exposing me to it's contents forcefully on the front page with a widget, or a calendar update will only result in me hating the said feature and section and completely losing any interest in it.

All of these changes are unnecessary, nor beneficial to me as a user. On the contrary, most of them worsen my user experience with the forum.

Why not create multiple forum themes to select from? Let people who like the old forum browse the old forum and people who like these widgets use a new forum theme with the widgets.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:10 am

It is impossible to tailor the experience to each individual, as this thread demonstrates. Some people love seeing the information, others hate it.

What we aim for is the middle, like every other site/forum out there. If all it takes for you to "hate" the site is a few widgets popping up then I suppose you don't have much love for it to start with. sad

Multiple themes are an option once we own the software. Right now we are very limited on what can be done, and have to use the tools available to facilitate information to the majority.

--

Anyway, now that I have more data on how your screens I looking I could merge up with analytics info and such and the one sidebar widget option should be fitting on the average screen. Over 50% of our users are on 1080 res so they will have no problems. Netbook users let me know if it's still buggy, but it should only cut off the widgets for you which should not be a major issue

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 am

Actually sen it's more in reference to the fact humanity naturally opposes change for a variety of reasons that aren't too hard to look up.

But this is why the threads here, debugging and compromise. I'm sure there's bits everyone doesn't like here... Though there's actually no widget for covenants atm so that comment confuses me.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:29 am

Love tunrs into hatred ever so easily.

I have visited Gametrailers.com for many years as my main source of game information, reviews and occassional goofy vids. It was a great experience. However they added a feature that won't allow you to play vids without turning AdBlock off, to allow ads to be visible on their site. It's a simple matter of few clicks really. I threw all the years of faithful visiting behind me in an instant and will never return there. I harbour an extreme hatred towards any and all commercials, advertisements and other methods of promoting someone's product, or services.
    Same to games. If I won't like the changes in DkS 2, I'll sell the game immediately and never play Souls games again, except for the older ones, that I like. Just like I did with many game series already. You'll find FF I-X on my HDD, but no other FF title released after X for the very same reason.
    There is no point to waste my time with things I dislike. I do that a lot in work and real life in general. There's no need to drag that in my hobbies as well. I wish to relax while playing games, or visiting sites, not frustrate myself.

If it's money you want to run this place, ask for them. For a few years I have rented several servers to play Halo CE on PC with my clan. I also fully paid for a Final Fantasy forum as a normal user. I am a poor man. I make around 400 Euro per month, if I'm employed at all, but if I like something enough, I'm willing to pay for that particular thing no matter what. I value my hobbies and my personal life above everythigng else, because those things enable me to rest, relax and cool off from all the real life experiences, be it good, or bad ones. If it takes cash, I'll pay it gladly. So if it's money you need to run this site smoothly, just PM me the sum and I'm sure I can send you at least something.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:51 am

YES!  Everything is on the right now!  Much better! big grin OK -- now it's in that "I don't like it 'cuz it's change" realm, instead of the "oh, no what'd they do to the forum!?" realm. silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am