Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+43
megaoptamas759
Anulpanda
zCorne7z
dianaduh
Phoenix Rising
NPCWhiteMage
kramage
Hahalo
peaceful_sabre
AHS DaNiTh
Wilkinson3424
Ghadis_God
billy_bayonet
EmoElmos
WyrmHero
momurderer_2501
DamageCK
his1n-
ErrJon6661
noobsterkid
XISTRiFEIX
T-King-667
Carphil
russiannightmare
SmittyRomps
befowler
bloodpixel
LOLRagezzz
nsane32
Forum Pirate
reim0027
Kerberos-013
Tolvo
SATLOS
Bamjam
DarkW17
ted1023
Serious_Much
Zechk
GrEeNgObLiN
JY4answer
ARSP
Yesuurd
47 posters

PVP Advice from Experienced Players...

billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

PVP Advice from Experienced Players... - Page 5 Empty Re: PVP Advice from Experienced Players...

Post by billy_bayonet Tue May 15, 2012 11:41 am

i usually cast HSM then to MLGS r2 they roll, i roll wham hit in the face with soulmass, or another variations is emit force and a avelyn, cast emit force they roll fire avelyn, dont do it to much as once they realise its very easy to get out of but usefull still the same
    EmoElmos
    EmoElmos
    Regular
    Regular

PVP Advice from Experienced Players... - Page 5 Empty Re: PVP Advice from Experienced Players...

Post by EmoElmos Tue May 15, 2012 1:19 pm

I found a good balance with CHSM and CSS casting CSS right after CHSM sets out to get a hit,when faced with a long drawn out fight and pretty much out of charges I have a 14+ Estoc I add crystal magic weapon. It works pretty well.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Course it does, if you can use them properly, thrust weapons are broken. (they're broken anyways but its not hard to beas a crappy player regardless)

Dont circle straff ultra great swords looking for a bs, you dead angle yourself and often end up stunlocked and short 1200 hp. I watch people try this crap on my dgm build and it never works out for them.
    EmoElmos
    EmoElmos
    Regular
    Regular

Post by EmoElmos Tue May 15, 2012 2:17 pm

nah, I really only go for the BS if they start healing, or make a huge mistake.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Tue May 15, 2012 2:21 pm

ill Bs only if they heal and usually then ill bow as there getting up, if they have sense they will know what im implying, 7/10 they then flask again, that annoys me sooooo much
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I ment in general, roll bs ugs's if you're going to try, the circling gets you killed
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed May 30, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm far from an experienced PvPer but I feel that the crucial factor in PvP is stamina management, both for yourself and for your opponent. Judging when your foe is low on stamina from number of attacks, weapon type, number of rolls and guards, etc. allows you to attack when they can't defend themselves.

It takes more experience than I have to do masterfully, but I think it's actually easier to break the opponent's poise if they're low on stamina. I've stunlocked enemies coming out of a combo much more easily than i should have if they were full on stamina, which means that this could be the decisive advantage fast weapons have over tanks. Of course, you can also fake being low on stamina, doesn't work so well if using the GCS or MotC, but you can lure an opponent into aggressiveness to your advantage. For example, if you whiff a few swings with a big 2H weapon, then back up a couple of paces without blocking, few foes will be expecting a roll bs once they start coming towards you.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 pm

That's true. Stamina is critical. I admit, I don't always do a good job of managing it.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Wed May 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Stamina is a crucial benefactor to pvping. it also has to do with timing. if you get your timing down and master parrying then all you really need to do is keep them off your back (literally)
    AHS DaNiTh
    AHS DaNiTh
    Regular
    Regular

Post by AHS DaNiTh Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:53 am

Alright im gunna throw my 2 cents in:
    1)Never show mercy no matter how cheap a tactic your using may b
    2)Never turn tail and run unless its not 1v1
    3)Never take chances around homing soul mass
    4)When in 3v1 situations find a narrow cliff and swing away until they die or fall off
    5)Some people could care less about rules and will heal as much as they want, respond by chain backstabbing and a message winking
    6)Pyromancey cant b rolled through, bait them into attacking until they run out
    7)IF he pulls out a talisman mid combat WoG is coming, and soon
    8)You get much more souls for fighting in your world
    9)Darkmooners are annoying, use any means possible to kill them (they only pvp against lower lvls)
    10)If som1 uses that slow down miracle, back into a corner and swing away
    11)back away b4 you bow and before you buff
    12)If they are greifing (2v1 or 3v1) dont waste your time sending a message unless you win, they dont have much in life except the wins they get by cheating
    13)If you fight a MLGS, roll but not consecutivly as fast as you cant, you will get hit
    14)Dont expect fair fights anywhere but the kiln, and even then, be cautious
    15)Nomatter what it looks like, if there are 2 people and one seems like he's gunna stay out of it, thats only til u are about to kill his phantom
    THX for reading
    peaceful_sabre
    peaceful_sabre
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by peaceful_sabre Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Probably not a great player but an advice i can give is get into the habit of being really patient in a fight, regardless is your health is low or not. if you have the flipping ring, and want to play it safe, really time your flips, you can do a great job in fights, maybe even kill a guy hundreds of levels above you who has full hp(99hp) with no hp lost.

In short, in a fight, patience is highly rewarding.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Dms don't only invade down. The blue orb hunts for players within 10% or 10 sls (in both directions, whichever sl difference is higher) first then gows down. A sl 200 in the pw or the burg won't get much action. Its best for every invader to be at an appropriate sl for the area if they want to invade with any real frequency.
    Hahalo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hahalo Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:20 am

Haven't posted a while..

Below are my pvp tips.. I'm ignoring those general tips like Poise, Rolling, etc etc

1) Know all weapon move set. How each weapons move set works, how best to avoid it, how to fish it, and when to counter.
    2) Study your opponent. Spend some time sizing up your opponent before going in for the kill. Learn what he can do, and what he can't.
    3) Keep PVP'ing. If you pvp alot eventually, you can read your opponent by their movement, weapon of choice, and armor selection. And play 1/2 a second ahead by predicting his move.
    4) Know your habit. Bad habit must be avoided, any repetition must be remove. Doing something predictable and repeated will get your punish.
    5) Appreciate losing a fight. Identify where did you fail, and work to improve it. No matter how cheap opponent tactic is.
    6) Never give reason for why you lose. 3v1? His too high level? He heal? There is no reason to believe is not possible to win, its Dark Souls after all. All it matters is your personal skills.
    kramage
    kramage
    Casual
    Casual

Post by kramage Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Been a while since I got back to the forums so hi all,

My advice with hammers is you only really need 2, large club and great club.
    1) Don't over roll especially since hammers players tend to do this with the 2h
    2) Don't be too aggressive. Trust me hammers are punish weapons and cant out damage a dex user. You'll need to know your
    3) Timing (no **** lol) hammers have little/no combo ability therefore you need to mix up your attack pattern. I tend to wait after my first hit becuase more often the opponent will try to roll and mostly to the side since they see a chance for bs this is when I follow up.
    4) Hammers are definitely mid to low tier. Hammers are definitely not the best weapons in the game, consider the rampant dex builds but they are great for stamina draining turtles unless they got great shields
    5) Lagstabbers are a pain. Hammers have a huge up hill fight against these ppl. My best advice is to not over roll as that will most likely get you bs
    6) 19,27 = 40? you only need 19 str to 2h great club that being said your play style may vary so adjust to how you play
    7) If you lose dont fret the details battles are always 50% known, 50% unknown
    NPCWhiteMage
    NPCWhiteMage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by NPCWhiteMage Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm not fantastic, as my PvP win / loss ration is only 11 / 7. But there are a few things I have learned and they change depending on wether you are invading or defending.

For invading:

1) Locate your enemy (Without giving away yours if possible, sneak attacks, while mean, are effective.)

2) Identify your enemies' equipment ASAP. Knowing what weapons and armor your opponent is using is detrimental to success. Knowing the difference between a Balder Side Sword and an Estoc CAN save your life.

3) Bait and trap. If you are invading a 2v1 or a 3v1, try and lure your enemies into an area that is hazardous for them to fight in, such as a narrow hallway, or near an open ledge. (About 4-5 of my wins came from knocking dous off a ledge using force. (Cheap, but effective when in trouble)

4) USE ALL THE TACTICS THE GAME HAS TO OFFER! This cannot be stressed enough. When in a PvP match, it is easy to get into a habit of blocking, attacking, and rolling, but don't forget your running attacks, your jump attacks, your kicks, and most importantly, your plunging attacks. exactly 4 of my victories have been assisted by a plunging attack (The Undead Parish where the channeler stands is a perfect plunge attack spot.) Utilizing all these tactics will seriously increase your arsenal and allow you to spice up the combat from the constant; Attack, Block, Roll, repeat.

5) Don't be afraid to 2 hand a weapon to get in some extra damage. While hiding behind a shield may seem like a good idea, a lot of times being mobile is more effective.

6) Don't Panic. Seriously..don't do it.

When being invaded:

1) Make sure you are well equipped and your items are set up the way you want. You have some time before the phantom finds you (Usually) so make sure you are set up and prepared.

2) If you have a phantom with you, make sure you both understand and have a plan. Nothing is worse than watching your friend rush in and get slaughtered.

3) Be cautious, but do not hesitate. Don't fall for traps, like being lured to an instant kill area or being bottle necked. If something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.

4) Be patient. I know this repeats the above tip, but it is slightly different. If the invader is tutrling or hiding, just wait. They are invading because they want a kill or for whatever reason, and it is usually not a goal they can complete without the host. So just be patient.

5) Don't chase. This is something I learned playing LoL. If you see an enemy, and they cannot be killed in 1 hit, do not chase them, because either they will turn around and destroy you, or you will end up in a horrible situation.

That's really all I have for now. This is how I PvP and I am currently doing pretty well, not amazing, but well.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Parry baiting, force your opponent into an attack pattern, use a bow for a phantom hit swap to shield and parry the extremely predictable attack or swap to a weapon and unlock bs as they try to bs you
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:44 pm

If you're going to die, go out with your balls intact (or the female equivalent, but I'm not quite sure what that is exactly). Say, you have almost no health left, and your opponent has a lot. Try to parry his arse. If you lose, no big deal - it was bound to happen. If you connect, it feels twice as satisfying.

Sometimes the deaths are better than the wins.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:28 am

reim0027 wrote:If you're going to die, go out with your balls intact (or the female equivalent, but I'm not quite sure what that is exactly). Say, you have almost no health left, and your opponent has a lot. Try to parry his arse. If you lose, no big deal - it was bound to happen. If you connect, it feels twice as satisfying.

Sometimes the deaths are better than the wins.
    Good tactic...when you're low on health they spam R1 for that killing blow...a well-timed parry with RTSR or hornet ring could net you a comeback win.
    dianaduh
    dianaduh
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by dianaduh Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:40 am

I'm not a pro but here are few things i do with my magic build, it may help a bit.

Keep your spells and use them when really needed. As a sorcerer you should have high int, so use it to buff your weapons, but don't mind changing your weapon quickly if the other player has a perfect build against magic.

Watch the enemy and find the perfect moment for a spell cast. I usually go foward with my weapon, when i see theyre about to attack i get back and change to my cat and soul spear. This will make it harder to them to dodge and it's also effective against tempest casters.
    Corridors are good places for spells too.

And for last, if you get an enemy that runs away trying to agro mobs or seeking white signs, just souls spear.
    zCorne7z
    zCorne7z

Post by zCorne7z Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:49 am

Speed can be one of your greatest assets in PvP, especially against heavy armour like Havel's, Giant's, etc. I took on a guy with full havel, mask of father, but he still 50% rolled. Maybe he had Havel's ring instead of DWGR, whatever. He played it like an absolute tank, and he sat behind his shield with a Zweihander. I managed to beat him by dodging, running out his stamina, then charging in. My Broadsword +14 w/ Crystal Magic Weapon hitstuns practically everyone after 2-3 hits, and with no stamina he can't get away quick enough. A couple cheesey combos and he's down. With careful management and a quick, rushing style, PvP can be managed easily.
    Anulpanda

Post by Anulpanda Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Just a few things that I learned the hard way over my DkS career.

Know your moveset. This is extremely important so you can counter certain attacks, know the recovery rate, and not be predictable and get yourself parried.

Learn how to parry. It is extremely rewarding and satisfying.

Mid roll is just as viable as fast roll. Just keep an aggressive weapon on-hand to push them back.

The more variety of weapons and playstyles you use, the better you'll be able to counter those using them against you

If you want to end a fight abruptly you can backpedal with your shield up, then rush forwards when they start to charge and get an easy backstab.

Practice fighting unlocked, can solve many backstab problems aswell as creating some nasty dead-angles.

Use magic/miracles/pyromancy as a tool or backup weapon, spamming is predictable and will you you BS'ed and hatemail shortly after. 

Try solo hosting in the forest. You will see many different approaches to fighting and get constant invasions. 

If you consider yourself good, drop the buffs. All a buff achieves is to end the fight quicker, which leaves you less time to learn from the fight itself. 

Learn how to counter BS, you're welcome. (Also knowing roll & pivot can't hurt)

Try to vary your assaults with either two weapons of varying sizes & movement speeds, or try a ranged option along with your primary weapon.

Learn how to menu swap. This will make you a force to recon with, being able to adapt any situation on the fly. 

And lastly, practice! I was getting wrecked by the hollow soldiers in the burg about a year ago frustrated to the point of wanting to sell the game, but now it is by far my favorite game of all-time .

Good luck.
    megaoptamas759
    megaoptamas759
    Casual
    Casual

Post by megaoptamas759 Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:30 pm

don't do what i did against grizz (black knight greatsword and sythe)

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:07 pm

@anulpanda

That's some great advice.  Nice points.

The only thing I would disagree with is saying mid roll is as viable as fast roll.  It's a lot more viable since the "DWGR patch", but mid rolling is still not as viable as fast rolling.

That is,  if you're in a "anything goes" environment.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 pm

This is a good thread, but one hell of a necrobump. Anul, you should collect all the tips and make a new thread like this one, so we don't have to go through posts that are a year old (and we can get more current tactics).
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:01 am

Well here is a basic guide, I would not say im the best PvPer but ive been doing this for two years, this mostly applies for Dex users and people who want to use dex as that is mainly what I use in PvP.

I'm not sure where to start so here are a few basic guidelines and tips.

1. Fast roll.

2. Seriously, Fast roll.

3. Learn how to ping parry, this is basically what it sounds like, you need to learn your timing to parry in PvP, Remember there is about a .5 second delay in what you do, that is why most parries don't work against your opponents if you time them in a manner that would be perfect in PvE. Time it a half of a second before they swing, if you don't understand how to do this, it is simple, with large weapons wait until RIGHT after they swing, and then parry, if you do it right then you should get it, you will need to learn to adjust though, with faster weapons like katanas, let them hit your shield and right after they hit it use your parry motion, it should get them, With pokers I would not bother unless they are spamming, then use your katana tactic. For medium ranged weapons you just need to predict when they will attack, like if they roll towards you, or two hand their weapon and approach you, or run towards you.

4. You are not a tank, keep your shield up and wait for a moment to strike.

5. Patience is key, make sure you don't blow it and just wait for them to be open for a quick strike or two, especially if you are fighting a strength user, their attacks can be devastating.

6. Miracles/Spell dodging, this is a tricky one, but here is what you do if you are a beginner, look at their armour, if they are wearing the crown of dusk or gwyndolin's crown, then be prepared to dodge some spells or miracles. How do you dodge spells? Well here is a list of some basic types of spells.

Spears: This includes the sunlight/lightning spears and the Soul Spears, these ones are easy to dodge, but if you fail it could cost you your life. You need to roll right after they throw/cast the spear. If you in attacking range of them and they begin the cast they have made a mistake, quickly circle around them and backstab them.

Bombs: This includes, Force, Wrath of the Gods, and Emit Force. Force and Wrath can come out unexpectedly, at first you need just to dodge them, if you see a talisman appear then be ready to roll, You roll as soon as the casting motion starts, and be prepared to dodge more. After some time you will learn to counter the spamming of these moves, If they spam if just roll behind them, and roll up to them and be right to their back, after the next successful dodge backstab them, you will have time to start the animation. For emit force? Just roll into the flying force ball and it will miss, if you roll to the side chances are you will be hit.

Pursuers: Let's start with the easy one, Crystal Soul Mass, these guys are easy to dodge, just approach the enemy and then roll to the side when they shoot out. For pursuers? There are two ways to dodge this, one is risky, one cannot always be done.

1. Roll into the pursuers, they will all hit you but you will not take damage from your invincibility from the roll.

2. Make the pursuers hit something, it can be a wall, or a breakable item.

TWoP: Chances are if this person is casting TWoP they want to gank you, or Spell Spam you to death. Your best bet is to run, run run run run run. It only lasts 10 seconds and if they cast it again, backstab them.

These are all the offensive spells I can think of right now.

7. Last Tip, Ganks: If you are being "Ganked" (2/3 players attacking an invader making it nearly impossible to win a fight. Do not confuse gankers with questers though.) then just follow three simple rules.

1. Do not act like it's a 1v1, you need to be patient and wait for a moment to kill one, keep your eyes on everyone but the host is the target.

2. Don't be cornered, or overwhelmed. If you are then chances of survival are slim.

3. Stay calm, this is the most important rule, if you freak out and run you will most likely be killed.

I like to think that I will die in ganks, But I will give them hell before I do, I let the winning happen on it's own.

A few extra things:

Hate-Mail: You can trophy this, or block the person, but hell do not reply to them. Unless you want more hate-mail silly

Hackers: 

1. Don't be stupid, don't keep hitting them.

2. Bleed won't work.

3. Most players who use trainers or modified characters are terrible at dark souls.

4. Ledges, kick them off ledges.

Practice makes perfect: Dexterity will not come naturally, you will die alot, trust me I died constantly for months before I finally realized that I am not a overkill powerhouse, I am the one who takes the powerhouse, and uses it's strength against it, and doubles it. The only true enemy of a skilled dex user... Is another skilled dex user, both completely different tactics, both will damage eachother, but one will come out on top, And it won't always be you, so don't expect to become a 1 - 0 kill ratio destructor of doom.

Quick Weapon Choice Guide!

Dex Weapons:

One more thing, Always go 40 dex if you can, it is the best scaling level for every dex weapon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am