Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Rin
Nate the Great
6 posters

General Dark Souls Questions

Nate the Great

General Dark Souls Questions Empty General Dark Souls Questions

Post by Nate the Great Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:24 pm

hello everyone. i am new to the forum and have been playing Dark Souls for a little while now. i took a break from playing this game but now i am back on the grind and for as much as i have played this game i still feel like i know almost nothing about it!

how much time do you spend playing this game, and how long did it take you to advance? i have logged almost 60 hours now (although many of those were spent reading the wiki to figure out what was going on) and i have beaten numerous area/mini bosses, but i feel like it's a very slow crawl to progress.

what kind of build do you prefer?

my character is a level 43 thief and my stats are
    vit - 18
    att - 12
    end - 17
    strength -18
    dex - 18
    res - 16
    int - 14
    faith - 11

i just recently got magic for the first time and i'm holding 11 humanity, more than i've ever had, as well as 9 in my inventory, and i have 34000 souls, the most i've had.

i'm just since i see many of you have beaten this game several times over, i can't even imagine what that must take. Proper Bow
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

General Dark Souls Questions Empty Re: General Dark Souls Questions

Post by Rin Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:32 pm

lol how much time?? lol a lot... i wont give yo the stats coz iv gt 7 charrs but yeh... its drs, learning, revision, training more training and then the lesser thing like food and lifeXD
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, Nate! You seem pretty well off stats wise. Out of curiosity, what weapons are you using, and where are you up to? Most people can beat the game several times because the game becomes significantly easier after you beat it the first time. The biggest challenge of DkS is not knowing what comes next, so once you have already experienced the game, it gets easier. Welcome once again, and good luck in your endeavours. Bow
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:37 pm

oh n i like going light as in no armour dragonoid light in most of my charrs i like a high vit i use no pyro and i have a mage/miracles toon but i never use him... i use a mixture of fast n slow weapons n recently been working on a bow user
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:06 pm

I gave up on my first character after about 40 hours because I could NOT beat O & S. Funny to think about that now. My main character alone is now sl 357 and just hit the 500 hour mark. Overall I'm well over 1,000 hours, and though I do a lot of co-op I still enjoy playing through the game repeatedly using different weapons, armor, themes, etc.

34,000 souls, OP, that's funny. It takes over 1.3 million souls per level for my main guy now.
    Nate the Great

Post by Nate the Great Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:35 pm

thanks everyone.

i am using the Drake Sword +1 and the Spider Shield +1 although i used Heater Shield +2 for a while. i just started using a Light Crossbow +5 and i have a Longbow +2. i also have been using a Jagged Ghost Blade and just now started experimenting with a Rapier.

i have read that the Drake Sword is only really good for a little while so i have been looking for something to replace it, but in my quest to ascend my weapons i found out that after the Ember i need a certain titanite, which i have not come across yet.

hah... what do you do when you're running around with 1.3 million souls?
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 pm

It can be nerve-wracking! That character is at NG+40ish, so sometimes I'll try a run where I'm shieldless and use an un-upgraded Balder Side Sword or something like that. ...Until the Capra Demon kills me (I'm not very good without a shield). If there's a bloodstain with a million souls in it I'm going back with a +5 Black Knight Great Axe and the biggest shield I can find.

Drake Sword is a Godsend early game, but since it doesn't scale you'll eventually move away from it, probably. If you're going to pump dex at all the rapier is a great weapon to upgrade. Not terribly versatile but it's nice to be able to one-shot most enemies with criticals.

Resistance is kind of a waste of souls unless you're planning on leveling off soon. Your resistance goes up when you up your other stats, just not as fast as boosting it directly early on.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Don't feel bad about being 60 hours in... My first playthrough took me 80 hours (although there wasn't really a wiki back then! So I had to find everything out on my own). But once you know the game well, it can easily be beaten in a few hours.

As for builds, I've pretty much tried them all! My favorite is always very light, no shield, though. Generally I'll dual-wield; catalyst in left hand and melee weapon in right hand, or two melee weapons, or a parrying dagger in left and a weapon in right. Once you become familiar with the game, it's lots of fun to experiment with different play styles.

And I remember when I was on my first playthrough, looking at all those empty character slots, thinking "there's no way I'll fill that many"! ... I've actually filled them more than twice by now, had to delete a lot of beloved characters to make room for new ones! If this game gets its hooks into you like it did all of us on these forums, then you'll go through playthroughs without counting anymore.

Welcome to the forums and have fun playing Dark Souls!
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 am

Nate the Great wrote:just now started experimenting with a Rapier
    If you like the rapier you should check out the Estoc for comparison. It's awesome. You can get one (free!) by going down the stairs to the left of the Crestfallen Warrior at Firelink, and through the first arch in the New Londo Ruins; it's on a body to your right. (You may not want to venture further into the Ruins without first spending your souls, btw.)
    Nate the Great

Post by Nate the Great Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 am

callipygias wrote:
    Nate the Great wrote:just now started experimenting with a Rapier
    If you like the rapier you should check out the Estoc for comparison. It's awesome. You can get one (free!) by going down the stairs to the left of the Crestfallen Warrior at Firelink, and through the first arch in the New Londo Ruins; it's on a body to your right. (You may not want to venture further into the Ruins without first spending your souls, btw.)
    hmmm... do you mean right when you get out of the elevator area? because i did not see it there, which means i must have picked it up but i do not have it.

haha... i spent a lot of time being confused when i started playing this game. i might have picked up that blade way back when and then thrown it away. i'm not sure though.

i just joined the Forest Hunters yay1 Praise the Sun but i lost all the humanity i was holding because i died before i could retrieve while fighting Sif. now i am going to try to kill him again.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:38 am

Nate, as sort of a Forest Hunter Master Tactician, I'll tell you this. The Forest Hunters isn't a good place to start off with PvP. You'll more than likely start off fighting against groups of people ganging up on you who are a much higher level than you, because FH invasions have no level requirement on the host end. By the way, when sif does his/her spinning attack, dodge. Blocking that will most likely kill you, unless you have a great shield. As a forest hunter however instead of invading if you head down to Btown near the water wheel you can find Shiva if you've talked to him in the forest. He'll sell exotic weapons like Katanas which you might enjoy, a lot of players do though I don't fancy them.
    Nate the Great

Post by Nate the Great Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

yes, i spent about an hour using the kitty Cat Ring last night and i kept getting smashed by groups of farmers. it's pretty weak, i must say... although hopefully i'll be leveled up enough to beat these people.

i think i might go to Blighttown today... right now in my game i must travel to the furthest reaches to get to someplace new, and i'm not even terribly far, either! i need the Lordvessel big grin
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 pm

If you truly wish to stay with the cause of the Forest Hunters in my signature is a link to the Forest Hunter Tips, Tricks, and Tactics thread. We've filled that thing up with a plethora of information.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Nate the Great wrote:hmmm... do you mean right when you get out of the elevator area? because i did not see it there,
    Sorry. when you exit the stairs and enter the dark of New Londo there's a door/archway to the left. The Estoc is just on the other side of that. Very cool weapon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am