Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
CrackSouls
Whknight
True King Doran
dardenfall
8 posters

King's Field the Ancient City

dardenfall
    dardenfall

King's Field the Ancient City Empty King's Field the Ancient City

Post by dardenfall Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Anyone play Kings Field the Ancient City? After loving DS and DS so much I gave it a shot. All in all, I like it, but the movement is so slow (especially turning!) that I'm looking for some encouragement. It moves like a first person Resident Evil 1 :roll:
    True King Doran
    True King Doran
    Addicted
    Addicted

King's Field the Ancient City Empty Re: King's Field the Ancient City

Post by True King Doran Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:02 am

Is it anything like demons/dark souls? I really want to play a game like it but Gamefly's "games like this game" gives me **** like the elder scrolls and Call of Duty (lol wut?)
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 am

Demon Souls is actually the King's Fields series spiritual successor. While I have NA 1&2, which is actually 2 and 3, and it's been years since I played them, they are somewhat similar. You probably won't find them because 1&2 are PS1 and I think AC is PS2
    True King Doran
    True King Doran
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by True King Doran Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:22 am

So, wait, there are technically 5 "souls" games? Kings Field 1, 2, 3 (ancient city), Demon's Souls, and Dark souls? And in comparison, when you say spiritual successor, do you mean more in terms of game play, visuals, story, etc? I could definitely get into a ps1 or ps2 game, hell i still play monster hunter fairly often!
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:35 am

Actually 4 King's Field games, but the series isn't considered part of the Soul section, but they are fairly similar on almost all fronts, they even took some of the bits from King's Field, Seath the Scaleless and the Moonlight Sword? Both from King's field.
    True King Doran
    True King Doran
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by True King Doran Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 am

Found my new addiction when the news drops that consoles won't get DLC big grin
    Also... if Seath and the MLGS came from kings field, just throwing this out there feel free to shut me down, but could the pendant have anything to do with them...?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:41 am

It's been so long I forget, I know someone else mentioned a pendent in another game by From Software but nothing comes to mind about King's Field.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:37 am

Alas, I do not own any copies but I have friends who tell me King's Field 1+2 (or 2+3 in Japan) are better than their PS2 counterparts, so maybe try to get them first.

If you find a decent emulator please, please, PLEASE send me a PM with info, thank you.
    True King Doran
    True King Doran
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by True King Doran Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:42 am

Ooooh emulator, good idea. I'll have to check these out at gamestop first though, my comp is already filled with that sort of thing since i first realized you could do it lol
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:39 am

True King Doran wrote:Found my new addiction when the news drops that consoles won't get DLC big grin
    Also... if Seath and the MLGS came from kings field, just throwing this out there feel free to shut me down, but could the pendant have anything to do with them...?

I have Kings Field on PSone. It was a devil to play. I didn't get very far. One particular area I kept going down this long corridor and as soon as I got to the end 'something', I never even saw it, killed me. Tried again and again, no joy, so never finished it.

Regarding the pendant, here is a quote from the manual in the 'Helpful Hints' section.

'If you have the Image of Sieth (this is how it is spelt in this game) and have a certain pendant equipped, the Image of Sieth dies in place of you. It only works if you are killed by traps or monsters.'

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
    dardenfall
    dardenfall

Post by dardenfall Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 am

@Doran, I can tell you, the only thing I don't like about KF the Ancient City (which I think maps to kings field 4 in Japan) is the movement. The combat is bad, but I don't mind that terribly. The difficulty, morose NPCs who hint at great lore, the scarcity of goods, the environments and the difficulty are all there. If I had the time to game that I used to, there's no doubt I'd be playing through TAC, but for now, I feel like I'd rather play dark souls our try one of the games sitting on my shelf like Dead Island instead of working to get into a past-gen game.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

I've never played any, but was watching King's Field gameplay vids on youtube last week. While obviously the graphics/gameplay are not modern, the content had a surprising amount of overlap with DkS. It was kind of amazing actually.
    dardenfall
    dardenfall

Post by dardenfall Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:58 pm

befowler wrote:I've never played any, but was watching King's Field gameplay vids on youtube last week. While obviously the graphics/gameplay are not modern, the content had a surprising amount of overlap with DkS. It was kind of amazing actually.

There are some threads out there that make a case for lore continuation between Demon's Souls and KF games. As for gameplay, I think it was a HUGE change for the better switching to 3rd person. I'm not a huge fan of first person to begin with, but it isn't even feasible for melee...
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 pm

dardenfall wrote:
    befowler wrote:I've never played any, but was watching King's Field gameplay vids on youtube last week. While obviously the graphics/gameplay are not modern, the content had a surprising amount of overlap with DkS. It was kind of amazing actually.

There are some threads out there that make a case for lore continuation between Demon's Souls and KF games. As for gameplay, I think it was a HUGE change for the better switching to 3rd person. I'm not a huge fan of first person to begin with, but it isn't even feasible for melee...

Not to you maybe...

Souls belong in 3rd though.
    True King Doran
    True King Doran
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by True King Doran Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm

oh it's first person? i will definitely have to check this out. And on the pendant note, Reah DOES drop a Pendant and she DOES end up in the Archives, home of Seath... maybe a nod to old series followers, or maybe more?
    witchskirt

Post by witchskirt Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:56 am

I have played through all the King's field games many times, I like the earlier ones more than the PS2 one, one can see the roots of Demon and Dark Souls by playing King's Field.
    Its a lonely and isolated experience, with little noise, if you like that sort of thing King's Filed is the way to go.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm probably going to bust out my PS1 and play these, I don't think I've touched them since I was like 10-12.
    witchskirt

Post by witchskirt Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 pm

if some one thought dark souls is a challenge, there is a more monotonous challenge of getting to 99 on King's Field 2, or the medium annoying of getting to 101 on King's Field 1 , or the rather hard lot of getting a perfect game on Shadow Tower, if you are a fan of such games it might be a good idea to try some of the user made games, from,
    http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am