Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Hybrid Video Games

Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Hybrid Video Games Empty Hybrid Video Games

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 2:50 am

So, I'm still young, and this is a dream myself and my friends. We one day want to own a game company, with many specific formats that go against the everyday game company of today.

For example, we don't want to have a publisher, we hope kickstarter will be our publisher, because being funded by the people we make games for would mean more than having a money grubbing publisher like EA look over our shoulder and tell us how to live. Another part would be how we price our games. With kickstarter funding, we could use that money to make the game, and as for the rest, we will price low in order to gain more sales, because who isn't gonna wanna at least check out a 15-40 dollar game when they have extra money.

But my personal favorite part of all of it, is the games we wanna make. To catch a large audience, we are going to make games that are never to be one type of genre, but hybrids.

This inspiration comes from games such as borderlands, mass effect, Savage, Natural Selection, and even Dark Souls itself. Our ideas are samples like mixing RTS with shooters, RPGs with Hack n Slash, MMO with RTS, Casual with Hardcore, Action with Puzzle, and many more.

For example, the Casual with Hardcore. After evidence that real money can become a connection to a video game in the players favors, we wanna make a Space MMO where Casuals and Hardcore player stimulate the game itself. Casual players are the civilians, they buy houses, gain resources, make money in game, buy and sell, own businesses, make custom content for other players, and just generall live a second life in the game. But Hardcore players are the strength, the military, the discoverers. Casual players can make an economy thrive but when the population explodes, then another planet needs to be found, which is the job of the Hardcore players, they go out, fight in space, capture and terraform planets, and expand their empire. Its an idea that for once allows Casual and Hardcore players to work in a necessary harmony in order to continue their control of the universe.

Another Example, not enough RTSFPS games. I believe its very very do-able, and heres how. Star Wars Battlefront allowed a lot of players, and even more enemies through enemy AI. However, this AI isn't very smart, and works on its own agenda, but why not change that. Have the players on the field, and have a commander commanding the AI troops. Even better, have up to 8 teams, allowing 8 commanders, and, well, probably around 100+ players fighting alongside the units.

My friends and I all came together under a mixed breed audience in gaming, some liking shooters, some liking RPGs, some liking HacknSlashers, and it goes all across the board, so we decided, merge them.

So what do people think, you guys like this? Would you like to see more hybrid games that would appeal to more playstyles. I just want a general assumption if gamers, particularly smarter gamers (Dark Souls Community), want more games like this.

Tl;dr
    Would you like more games that have mixed genres, and would you like to support a future company with this dream.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Hybrid Video Games Empty Re: Hybrid Video Games

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 3:03 am

Check out Sins of a Dark Age. Its exactly the kind of game your aiming for.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 3:19 am

Just looked it up, sounds kinda like a more polished version of Savage. I'll def be playing it.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 am

Same. Back on topic I like your sim city + eve combination. I would definetily play that. The hard part will be marketing it and getting enough players for it to function. If you dont have enough on one side no one will play so when new players join there will be nothing for them to build on. Its the sort of game that needs a large player base to start being good.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 3:30 am

We have a generally good idea of how to do that. Its going to be the third (or later than that) in a series we want to make. One of the games will show off our plans for multiplayer combat. Remember Space battles in Battlefront 2? Yeah, that, except enhanced, a lot. As a matter of fact, we might be lucky, my friend and I have a really good connection with a current game company due to us beta testing with them. We are hoping one day to work with them, and if possible, get Geo-Mod for the space battles. Imagine, having to try and keep those ships together while ships outside are tearing them apart. Its all an idea, but very possible, especially with the developing technology.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 am

Which company? haven't actually played BF series at all. Good idea to make it a later game. I really want a proper space battle game. Sins of a Solar Empire was good (well actually its amazing)but lacked the real feel of a space battle.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 3:37 am

Star Wars Battlefront 2 from Pandemic. Look it up if you can. I think its like 10 bucks on ssteam.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 3:39 am

lol I thought it was odd for a space battle to be in battlefield, completely misread that. I will check it out. thanks.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 am

Np, its a classic, one of my favorite shooters ever
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed May 02, 2012 6:27 am

I like this space MMO idea. Though i like the idea of becoming an economic powerhouse and using my wealth to buy power!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds cool to me though. keep at it.

I want to be an author so I have to remember to stop playing Dark Souls, get off the forums, and get writing.

I'll buy one of your games!
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 6:37 am

I like writing too, I just can't ever get things together correctly.

For example, I have a story idea dealing around the same parameters that was shown to me from dark souls, like chaos, dragons, and the undead in general, but I don't want to steal ideas, and half way through, I just realized I was writing fan fiction, so I stopped.

I do have a game idea that I prob could work on now that could be an app. Its based around people becoming "branded". Branding is a form of connection magic, and the first known magic. Its got betrayal, revival, and a strange twist. Of course, I had to throw in some dark souls references, the brand itself being one, but I need to finish writing it.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 am

Viral you should start a writing thread. Kinda like the Museum bvut more focussed on advice and rating each others work.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 6:43 am

I actually got an idea, I might start an RP thread. We can all start posting our characters, and go from there. Dark souls based of course
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed May 02, 2012 6:45 am

I will do so. I've had a few published writers teach me a few tricks of the trade. It may help.

I had a great Idea that I came up with the other day. Then i take a quick trip over to youtube and I watch the Syndicate Playthrough part 1.....

Suffice to say that that story idea was dead in the water. Id never even heard of syndicate until now and suddenly I have the same story idea as them.

Not quite fully the same but the general idea was. sad
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 am

Chaos there already are 2 threadsfor that. they're both in general discussion - Character Lore and My character.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 am

God if i posted all my guys there I'd take up four Pages worth of space....
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 6:58 am

Yeah, I've had that happen before, write a story, then it just matches perfectly with another story.

I'll have to look at those threads. I meant like start a thread, get a couple people together, get character info and edit into the first post, and then just start it off as a text based roleplay centered around starting at firelink.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 am

Well we've already started working some together. Viral and mine's main toons are linked closely, Joe basically has control of Carims story, Amos is building his toon off Joes story. Ill try to find the links for you.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 am

I've wanted to try that at some point but it never entuated and oft times died mid story.

I did however want to try a steam punk style one. I came up with some many good characters for that and a story line following two that spanned decades and three generations of that family.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 7:13 am

I roleplay with my gf sometimes with a random world filled with random characters. We both like to write, and it stimulates our minds normally.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed May 02, 2012 7:15 am

ChaosServantSpectre wrote:I roleplay with my gf sometimes with a random world filled with random characters. We both like to write, and it stimulates our minds normally.

Lol... Roleplay.......Stimulates......:oops:

God I'm such a child.
    Chaos Spectre
    Chaos Spectre
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Chaos Spectre Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 am

Lol. I think I'm going to write up my characters story after a four hour nap
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 7:20 am

I had a really cool idea for a steampunk world. i;ve kind of become obssessed with steampunk recently.

here are the links Chaos
    https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t4761-my-own-character
    https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t4790-character-lore

ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am

I'll throw down mine just for a reference-

The world is vast yet desolate place where humanity has flocked together around a few hubs of life. The Grand Cities (the City of Gears, Clocks, Bells, Rails, Steam, Skyward, etc) where the people live in relative peace. However the tenuous balance between the cities means that the life of a soldier anything but peaceful and expansive wars are constantly being raged around the world.

This is an age of technology, cars, trains, planes, and Sand Crawlers exist to expediate the journies between the cities, many of which are constantly moving, all giving travellers the comforts of everyday life. Electria, the source of all life, is ever present in these technologies and the demand for such sources of power are high.

The story took place where the City of Gears called upon its best and brightest to track down and secure a massive source of Electria crystal in far off and unknown lands. In place of thier armies, engaged with the forces of the City of Rails military, they send Piers Montgommery, a veteran explorer of many a year, master of the blade, rich, dashing and powerhungry, Elizabeth Wiesman, Montgommery's lovely assistant, ambitious, seeking to make her own legend, pilot, mechanic, and adventurer, Elizabeth sets out with Montgommery knowing full well what he wants from her and determined not to let him win out in the end. Kries Czherny, as commoner who signed on as a soldier for the City of Gears in an attempt to earn enough money to pay off the debts he owes to an unscrupulous money lender who kidnapped his sister. Now he seeks to collect the source of Electria and sell it off to the highest bidder, a consumate master of rifles and machine guns due to his time in the Irregulars (the Cities Suicide unit) he bring to the table massive fire power and unyielding determination. Finally Sherrif Walter Gerhardt completes the team, an old soul with many years of Law Enforcement Experience behind him, he desires to bring back the Electria so the people of the city can prosper.

With all four of the team scheming and ploting who will end up with the prize?

See later for the thrilling conclusion and the beginning of Kries and Elizabeths journeys throughout this strange and mysterous world. Next time, introducing the Contractors of Arte , Skill, and Might! As well as Kries "last stand" at The Noose!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 am

Mine was along the line of - very close to our world in technology but all using steam powered stuff. Extremely small steam engines that are hyper efficient allowing the creation of machine guns using steam power and enhancer suits that boost a users strength. However this has been built from the ruins of the previouys world, and remnants of technology like our world liters this one. Blackpowder weapons, petrol fueled cars and the like are rare and signs of prestige. As one man travels the world seeking new treasures he has a falling out with a mafia like gang that runs a city. On the run he must use the old worlds technology to stay alive, all the while escaping bounty hunters sent after him by other collectors wh ohave learnt of his colection.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am