Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Maneater_Mildred
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
skarekrow13
Uparkaam
Rynn
dreamforger
10 posters

That feeling of achievement

dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

That feeling of achievement Empty That feeling of achievement

Post by dreamforger Wed May 02, 2012 1:55 pm

A few hours ago I finally defeated Ornstein and Smough, after a few days of trying different tactics, endless deaths, endless combinations of weapons and armour, and endless frustration. I found my own way of winning the fight, which feels even sweeter having achieved it alone, and I'm literally still grinning from that feeling of achievement. And I did it the hard way - Smough first, then Ornstein. I've never had this with any other game before, and it's incredible.

And even sadder is the fact that I'm not a teenager with the reflexes of a Ninja who could probably beat these guys while texting with their other hand, but a 43 year-old bloke with the reflexes of a drunken orangutang who tried Dark Souls because I wanted something different that is lacking from most other games out there. And I'm not bragging here - it's the elation of doing something difficult and knowing that you didn't actually do a bad job.

I know there are probably harder battles to come, but I just love this game. And thanks to the advice on other posts here with tips on how to win this fight - your positivity kept me going through this.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

That feeling of achievement Empty Re: That feeling of achievement

Post by Rynn Wed May 02, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm glad it worked for you! Good job and congradulations!
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks Rynn - it was a very long, slow, painful process happy .
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed May 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Might as well get the worst of it out of the way, so head back down to blighttown next! On the other side of the spider boss's chamber is the hardest area of the game.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Wed May 02, 2012 2:20 pm

You still have the Four Kings awaiting for you. A word of warning: They are not a nice bunch. I hate them with a passion.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Rynn wrote:Might as well get the worst of it out of the way, so head back down to blighttown next! On the other side of the spider boss's chamber is the hardest area of the game.
    Is that the Demon Ruins? I did poke my nose in there after Quelaag and it gave me the complete creeps, so I legged it, fast. I'm not sure that I'm up to that just yet. If it's that bad I need to level up a little bit first (currently level 43). Plus, I don't want my feeling of elation wiped away so soon happy . I've spent so much time in Anor Londo that I feel I know it's layout better than my own house, so I think I'll give those ruins a miss for now.

Uparkaam wrote:You still have the Four Kings awaiting for you. A word
    of warning: They are not a nice bunch. I hate them with a
    passion.
    A friend warned me of these before I even started the game. I have no idea who/what they are, but I'm already dreading facing them.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed May 02, 2012 3:16 pm

For me, O&S were the worst in any playthrough. Jerks.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Wed May 02, 2012 3:23 pm

I'd rather take on four Ornsteins than the Four Kings...

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. A lot, actually. Four Ornsteins would be a frikking butchery.

But I still hate the Four Kings. I really do.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Wed May 02, 2012 4:11 pm

I have to admit that Ornstein was probably the first character in any game I've played that I felt actual hatred towards, especially in the first phase. I found the whole fight easier with just one opponent, but having him dart about, charge, flank and god knows what else was just driving me insane. I think that's why I opted to save him for last - just to have the satisfaction of knowing I'd killed him while he was bigger. Psychologically, it meant a lot to me twisted.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed May 02, 2012 5:54 pm

congrats, being a "ninja fingered teen" i can still say that O&s are monsters to fight solo, only thing that got me through after my first few attempts was my fire reinforced club... note also no need to feel old playing this game, our house hold got dark souls for my dad originally, and he just turned 55. big grin

hope to read more when you reach the 4 kings, Seath, Bed of chaos, and Nito.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Congrats. I find O&S to be the hardest boss to solo in the whole game, so i take my hat off to you. Bow & +1

Best of luck with the rest of the game... Happy hunting.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Wed May 02, 2012 6:18 pm

I tried O&S solo a bunch, didn't have a hard time dropping Smough but once Ornstein got big he just wooped me. Wound up having to bring a phantom to get it done. So congrats to you sir.

Now if you wanna pass that good feeling on go put you soul sign down by the bonfire before them and help others beat them. It's a great way to pay it forward and earn tons of souls so you can level up before your next nightmare lol.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Well done Dreamforger. I too finally managed to beat these two solo on my first playthrough after many attempts, so I know how it feels. I literally jumped up and danced round the room like a Michael Flatley clone. As for the dreaded Four Kings (please don't think I'm bragging here) but as I had managed to get to the fog gate I thought I might as well have a go. I did it on first try. Still don't know how but if it will help you I was equipped with Havel's Armour, Gravelord Sword, Grass Crest Shield, Havel's Ring & Cloranthy Ring.

I hadn't worked out any tactics but just kept hammering away at them one by one. I did know that you were supposed to beat them one at a time, so after I downed eached one I legged it to the next as quickly as possible before another one appeared. Good luck with the rest of the game but I warn you, it gets under your skin.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Wed May 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Just moved on to the Painted World of Ariamis.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:hope to read more when you reach the 4 kings, Seath, Bed of chaos, and Nito.
    You will, believe me.

Federally wrote:Now if you wanna pass that good feeling on go put you soul sign down by the bonfire before them and help others beat them. It's a great way to pay it forward and earn tons of souls so you can level up before your next nightmare lol.
    You want me to go through this again, lol? I don't think I could cope with that for a while, but I might well do that when I return to Anor Londo. I said "might". If I see Ornstein again too soon I might go a bit mental :x .

SlakeMoth wrote:I literally jumped up and danced round the room like a
    Michael Flatley clone.
    I did something very similar. I literally couldn't stop grinning for a couple of hours. Must have looked a right muppet when I walked the dog, grinning like some nutter.

SlakeMoth wrote:I warn you, it gets under your skin.
    This game got under my skin after half an hour. The only problem now is that everything I play from now on will have Dark Souls to live up to, and I can't see much coming close to it. Great work on the Four Kings, by the way. I'll now who to come to when I need help with those bad boys then big grin .
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed May 02, 2012 6:57 pm

To be honest I think I fluked it. Just getting to them in NG+ is a nightmare.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

I have to admit, I don't think I'm even going to try NG+. I'll just start a new normal game with a different class. Just finishing DS will be one of my greatest achievements (genuinely), but to play through on a harder difficulty? I admire anyone who even attempts it, I really do.
    Joel_Boof
    Joel_Boof

Post by Joel_Boof Thu May 03, 2012 12:16 am

Congrats on soloing Oreo and Smore happy I recently started a new build based off Ornstein actually and just today I beat them. I solo'd them also because i figured if I am going to be Ornstein I should kill him solo :roll: I got his armor and spear now and am farming souls atm by helping others beat them. As for the Four Kings....nevermind, I don't want a headache tonight..
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 am

You're a brave man, Joel Boof, helping others so soon after defeating them yourself. And thanks for reminding me about his spear - completely forgot about getting that.
    Bold berthold

Post by Bold berthold Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Mark my words. You will press on with ng+. It will be a breeze for many of the bosses and then will be very difficult. It will almost be new again. It keeps that sense of achievement going. No game I know touches the thrill of achievement you get from ds. I'm almost done wit ng++ and it took me a long time to get out of the burg on the first playthrough. It clearly has its hooks in you and that's a good thing.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Thu May 03, 2012 6:58 pm

I have a feeling that you may be right. I might have a bit of a break when I finish the first playthrough, but whatever happens I will definitely return to DS. It's eating up my life as it is.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Well I have just defeated the Four Kings, after several attempts. My first effort was pathetic - running backwards whilst trying to fire a crossbow at them :roll: (I told you it was pathetic). After a couple more attempts trying various armours and techniques, I realised I needed to down these guys quickly, so with thieves armour (at +9) and Quelaag's Furysword, I did exactly that. It was a bit close for comfort, but on to the next bit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm