Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
DamageCK
Unforseen
billy_bayonet
CPAOI
8 posters

First Build Attempt: Vinheim Sentinel

CPAOI

First Build Attempt: Vinheim Sentinel Empty First Build Attempt: Vinheim Sentinel

Post by CPAOI Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi all, relatively new member here this is only my second
    topic. This is my first “real” attempt
    at a build for SL 120 PvP. I understand
    that it is not completely “maxed” and that some small sacrifices were made for
    aesthetic purposes. However, I am
    posting this for feedback on potential tweaks and overall PvP viability. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Name

Vinheim Sentinel

Starting Class

Sorcerer

Backstory Concept

The Vinheim Sentinel
    is a captain of the elite guard of the Vinheim Dragon School. His primary charge is the protection of the college
    leadership, although he makes a highly effective field agent as well. He is primarily a sorcerer of prodigious
    power but is also an accomplished duelist and archer, making him a highly adaptive
    combatant capable of completing a wide array of missions at the behest of the college
    leadership. The Sentinel dons Logan’s
    Big Hat in memory of the fallen Vinheim legend.

Stats @ SL 120

Vit: 34
    Att: 19
    End: 30
    Str: 10
    Dex: 40
    Res: 8
    Fth: 8
    Int: 50

Weaponry

Main Hand:
    Velka’s Rapier +5/Ricard’s Rapier +15, Magic Black Bow of Pharis +10 (Moonlight
    Arrows)
    Off Hand: Crystal
    Grass Crest Shield +5, Logan’s Catalyst

Armor

Head: Big
    Hat +5
    Chest: Black
    Iron Armor +5
    Hands: Steel
    Gauntlets +10
    Legs: Elite
    Knight Leggings +10

Rings

Dark Wood
    Grain Ring
    Ring of
    Favor and Protection

Combat
    Concept

I designed
    this build with the aim of producing a powerful caster that doubles as a nimble
    melee combatant and sniper.

INT is set
    at 50 to unlock White Dragon Breath and seriously boost the power of Homing
    Crystal Soul Mass and Crystal Magic Weapon.
    The high INT also produces a solid damage result for the Magic Black Bow
    of Pharis +10 with Moonlight Arrows, which can punish heavily armored enemies
    at range (even through shields as they tend not to black magic damage very
    well).

DEX is set
    high to boost damage scaling with Velka’s Rapier and the Black Bow in addition
    to improving spell cast times to minimize exposure to damage. Ricard’s Rapier +15 also takes great
    advantage of high dexterity, and would be employed in PvP and boss fights
    buffed with CMW for extremely high, rapid damage output. Velka’s, on the other hand, would be used in
    most PvE situations as it scales well with the build’s stats and opens up an
    attunement slot for a utility spell (Hush, Fall Control, etc.)

Low VIT and
    END scores make this build reliant on the RoFP for equip weight and
    durability. The mix of heavy and medium
    armor this build wears provides 54 poise, which is high enough to prevent
    stunlock from two-handed light and medium weapons as well as one-handed heavy
    weapons. The Grass Crest Shield should
    mitigate stamina shortages somewhat. The
    Dark Wood Grain Ring keeps the build nimble and mobile at 50% equip load, which
    is essential for a build with low VIT.

Summary

This build,
    I imagine, can go toe-to-toe with other casters and archers at range. It is capable of effective kiting slow-moving
    tanks as well. In close quarters, a
    CMW-enhanced Ricard’s +15 or a +5 Velka’s mixed with good poise and high
    mobility make this build a nimble and high damaging (if somewhat fragile)
    duelist. The best approach would be to
    stay out of range as long as possible, harassing an opponent with potent magic
    and shield-piercing Moonlight Arrows to chip away at health, before engaging at
    melee range and using the Rapier’s speed and high (when buffed) damage to
    finish the fight quickly

I have yet
    to attain this level or all of the necessary gear so my conjecture here is
    exactly that: conjecture. Experienced
    PvPers please comment on any major weaknesses I have failed to notice here and
    potential PvP viability. The only piece
    of the puzzle I am unwilling to budge on is the inclusion of the Big Hat in the
    armor set, or the inclusion of any Giant armor as I hate its look. Looking forward to your commentary!
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

First Build Attempt: Vinheim Sentinel Empty Re: First Build Attempt: Vinheim Sentinel

Post by billy_bayonet Sun May 13, 2012 8:30 pm

nice build my freind, my only problem is casters tend to be very hit and miss if you get the element of suprise you can hit them but spells can be dodged with such ease, id focus more on the velka's i have a build that uses velkas and it a very deadly weapon in the right hands happy keep it up and may you have many victories
    CPAOI

First Build Attempt: Vinheim Sentinel Empty Re: First Build Attempt: Vinheim Sentinel

Post by CPAOI Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for the fast response! Would you advocate scaling back the investment in INT and pumping up VIT a little more?
    Unforseen
    Unforseen
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Unforseen Sun May 13, 2012 8:44 pm

You will rarely hit people with White Dragon Breath unless you learn how to effectively aim without lock-on. Luring them into rolling straight into your dragon breath would be fatal if you can manage it.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sun May 13, 2012 8:53 pm

With 50 intel, I strongly suggest the MLGS. It is AWESOME for intel builds.

And welcome to the forums, man.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun May 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Good build.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun May 13, 2012 9:11 pm

this should help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vDdAiTmXDY&feature=relmfu
    CPAOI

Post by CPAOI Mon May 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for the vid, provided some good insight into how to use WDB in PvP. I investigated the Moonlight Greatsword and it looks awesome. In addition it seems like an Enchanted Composite Bow (requires 16 STR like the Greatsword) out competes a similarly upgraded BBoP with Moonlight Arrows (at least at PvP range)

Unfortunately I have already invested enough points into DEX that I'm more or less committed to the Rapier Setup. I think it should still be viable though and the BBoP will be perfectly effective at range in PvE.

I've elected to drop INT ro 44, forfeiting WDB but giving me 6 more points to pump into VIT and improve melee durability.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Mon May 14, 2012 2:28 pm

rapiers are good just dont use your shield as a crutch youll find most people will go berserk if you turtle and youll end up stunlocked,
    CPAOI

Post by CPAOI Mon May 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Good tip. I wasn't planning on turtleing since I will primarily be using the Grass Cress Shield. That 5%of damage it lets through can be significant when blocking heavy weapons and its stability isn't great either. The shield is basically going to be a last line of defense if I'm cornered or can't dodge out, in addition to acting as a stamina regen booster.
    CPAOI

Post by CPAOI Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Sorry to keep bumping this/commenting on my own thread. This is the link to the finalized build, I added an extra point of STR to be able to use a Magic Composite Bow +10 in PvP for better magic damage with Moonlight Arrows and scaled down INT to boost VIT for melee.

http://tinyurl.com/bq7yhwo
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon May 14, 2012 4:13 pm

According to the calculator, you don't have enough strength to use Ricard's rapier. 16 strength? For a rapier? That can't be right...
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Mon May 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Ricard's only requires 7 i'm sure
    CPAOI

Post by CPAOI Mon May 14, 2012 4:44 pm

It is saying that I don't have enough strength to wield the Composite Bow. I'm fairly confident that the numbers they are using reflect the one-handed strength, but as we all know bows can only be used two-handed. Every minimum requirement listing I can find online for the bow lists it at 11. It's a little bit of an annoying oversight on the calculator as it won't display the bow's damage.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon May 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Thankfully you changed out the bow. The Longbows are great in PvE but anyone with half a brain will tear you to shreds if you pull out a Longbow in PvP, they just take too long to fire. Also don't overlooking the humble shortbow, requires less Str and scales better with Dex while firing just as fast as composite, you may do better with it and save yourself from upping Str.
    CPAOI

Post by CPAOI Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm considering a possible rebuild, or more accurately a tweak. I have been doing some reading about Rapier riposte damage. I tested tested it myself and it is indeed awesome, much higher than the crit rating would imply. As a result I'm considering a tweak that focuses more on this. The build is below. Quick note I swapped RoFP for the Hornet Ring (I know the fap ring is awesome, honestly I think it's a little cheesy) and the Grass Crest Shield for the Target Shield. I also decided to just main Velka's Rapier for PvP since if I'm going to be evading and swapping out for the bow at intervals recasting CMW on Ricard's Rapier is going to be a pain. Take a look and let me know how you think it compares to the first build, which I will repost as the second link for easy reference.

Tweaked Build

http://tinyurl.com/d99nxs4

Original Build

http://tinyurl.com/ceuwxuw

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 am