Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Shkar
BindMind
WyrmHero
7 posters

My first attempt to make a pure mage

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

My first attempt to make a pure mage  Empty My first attempt to make a pure mage

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 am

I'm going to make my favorite class of every RPG, the magician, DkS style.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3818629373852793

What do you suggest? More Vit, more End or more Att?

Edit: Some lore of the build. Lemina was a student of the Royal Magicians Academy. Only a few with enough wealth, royal status and intelligence can enter the academy. This college specializes in studying the connection of the soul and the crystals. Lemina wants to find the secret of the connection, that no one in the academy is able to find yet and she thinks that the powerful catalyst that is told in legends, the Tin Crystallization Catalyst, is the key of the connection between soul and crystal. She begins her quest to the Dukes Archives, to kill the mad Logan and retrieve the legendary catalyst.

Last edited by WyrmHero on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    BindMind
    BindMind
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

My first attempt to make a pure mage  Empty Re: My first attempt to make a pure mage

Post by BindMind Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:49 am

Personally I would shave off some VIT, so you can get that END up to 20 or 25. Then I would use Velka's Rapier as a backup for some intense damage-- especially on crits.

Otherwise, very good build. Just be sure to replace that Ricard's Rapier with Velka's Rapier, so you can take advantage of that fantastic DEX/INT you have going there.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

My first attempt to make a pure mage  Empty Re: My first attempt to make a pure mage

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:04 am

I'm using Ricard's with CMW.
    BindMind
    BindMind
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BindMind Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:16 am

WyrmHero wrote:I'm using Ricard's with CMW.

I'm not a fan of CMW, specifically because you can just run away from it until it depletes, but to each his own.

Good build. I'd still shave off points from VIT and put that into END for better armor and stamina, but that's just my personal opinion.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:20 am

I know you know what you are doing and are experienced with low poise builds, but I will say it again.

A single piece of thorns gear, and they can interrupt your spells/attacks just by rolling at you. Be cautious.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:27 am

I feel an enchanted rapier is more practical than using CMW. That's just me though.
    BindMind
    BindMind
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BindMind Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:29 am

mugenis4real wrote:I feel an enchanted rapier is more practical than using CMW. That's just me though.

With all that dex, he may as well use Velka's Rapier, and take advantage of all that scaling.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:30 am

^Good point
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:36 am

The unbuffed rapier will do more damage than the enchanted one. This is because the unbuffed one has pure physical damage, while the enchanted has physical and magical. I have to test Velka's, but I think it'll do slightly more damage because it has about 100 more AR. But CMW + Ricards pokes hurt so much that I feel the pain of my opponent. Also I added some lore for the build.
    BindMind
    BindMind
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BindMind Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:41 am

WyrmHero wrote:The unbuffed rapier will do more damage than the enchanted one. This is because the unbuffed one has pure physical damage, while the enchanted has physical and magical. I have to test Velka's, but I think it'll do slightly more damage because it has about 100 more AR. But CMW + Ricards pokes hurt so much that I feel the pain of my opponent. Also I added some lore for the build.

That's all fine and dandy, but anyone with half a mind will just run from the buff... Then what?

You'll definitely do more damage that way, so if you can kill 'em quick, then go for it.
    Jovias-86
    Jovias-86
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jovias-86 Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:45 am

Wyrm get it ready soon... We will have a nice rapier duel then... winking

Honestly Wyrm, I kw she is a magician and all, but thn you will have to run around 3 times to get 3 CSS... May b keep the ATT down to 16 or 19.
    Add more Vit or INT winking
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 am

Well the build isn't supposed to rely on melee, hence the 45 Dex for max cast speed. I hope it's really fast. Also getting 4 CSS will be a pain......
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:48 am

@Jovi you ninja'd me. I hate NG+, and with those robes the mobs will **** me.

Edit: Will violate me. Didn't knkw **** was censored.

Last edited by WyrmHero on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jovias-86
    Jovias-86
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jovias-86 Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:50 am

Yeah... See you tonight with it thn happy
    INT v/s FTH duels winking only ricards!
    BindMind
    BindMind
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BindMind Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:53 am

WyrmHero wrote:Well the build isn't supposed to rely on melee, hence the 45 Dex for max cast speed. I hope it's really fast. Also getting 4 CSS will be a pain......

It's also a waste of time. You're better off varying the types of spells. I know it's seldom mentioned but great soul arrow has a VERY fast cast time at 45 dex, and it can be used to throw your opponent off guard. It also has a lot of uses. I highly recommend using it. You can also double-up on crystal soul mass.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 am

Honestly, I'd ditch CMW. With a 0 poise build, you do not want to melee. Tried it on my mage and it blew. You'll get your casts interrupted constantly, and katana users will poop on you. Wolf ring and Bellowing ring is a good setup for 40 poise, or switch Bellowing for DWGR so you can add whatever armor brings you up to the next breakpoint.

Do not underestimate Logan's catalyst. It still does tons of damage and doesn't half your casts. That way you wouldn't have to attune so many soul spears. And, dude... you NEED Chameleon. Cham to Soul Spear connects A LOT.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 am

Additionally, if you use Logan's catalyst you can get by with 5 or even 4 att slots, which would let you put more in endurance.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 am

I read the words "pure mage" and hoped it wouldn't just end up being another Dex/Int buffing hybrid build...something more like a mage that uses spells as a main offense instead of weapons.

Yes I know it's not great, but I threw it together in less than 10 minutes so cut me some slack winking
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:03 am

Reaperfan wrote:I read the words "pure mage" and hoped it wouldn't just end up being another Dex/Int buffing hybrid build...something more like a mage that uses spells as a main offense instead of weapons.

Where's the dexterity? Casting speeeeeeeeed
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:04 am

mugenis4real wrote:Where's the dexterity? Casting speeeeeeeeed

Only necessary on pyromancy imo. For sorceries at max reduction it only cuts it by maybe a tenth of a second.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:06 am

@Reaper I realize pure mages casting speed is very slow for PvP. My Str/Int (8 Dex) CSS rarely connects.

@Blindmind It has Great Soul Arrow, I know it's very effective.

@Damage I'll consider the poise, you do have a point.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:07 am

My mage only has 16 dex. Still stomps.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:08 am

WyrmHero wrote:@Reaper I realize pure mages casting speed is very slow for PvP. My Str/Int (8 Dex) CSS rarely connects.

Unless I'm mistaken, Dex doesn't increase the rate at which the spell actually travels, only the casting animation :|
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 am

Learn to manually aim SS. Helps a bunch. If you're looking for a solid caster build that can melee if necessary, go back and look over my "Sick Mage Build" post and tweak it to your liking. And not using the MLGS, or at least the ability to, is a bummer in my opinion.

Couple things I've changed since I posted the build originally is went with Chameleon, CSS, HMCS, and WoGx2 instead of CSSx2. Also went with Wolf ring and DWGR so I could get up to GS breakpoint while having MLGS and a medium shield equiped for melee situations. It's working out really, really well.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 am

Faster animation means more probability to connect one, right? My 40 Dex Priscy had CSS and it did cast her spells faster. Great Soul Arrow usually connect for about 200 damage each. And you are right the traveling speed is still slow.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm