Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Extertionist
Carphil
User
befowler
Azran
White Knight Wulf
Xacktastic
Forum Pirate
TehInfamousAmos
Uparkaam
DoughGuy
SunlightCrusader
Reaperfan
ViralEnsign_
18 posters

Magic the Gathering Officiated Thread, Welcome ye Plainswalkers

ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Magic the Gathering Officiated Thread, Welcome ye Plainswalkers Empty Magic the Gathering Officiated Thread, Welcome ye Plainswalkers

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:39 am

Here we are for all those in the Covenants section who love MTG, especially WolfofPhyrexia, to share and discuss decks, lore, and all the rest.

My MTG history is long and full of disaster, disappointment, and mildly good tournament placings.

I've run pretty much everydeck you can imagine from Suicide Black to a Black Green Overgrowth (mmm Saprolings)

Also continuing the dicussion from the Covenants section. How exactly did Phyriexia win the conflict between Mirrodin and itself?
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Magic the Gathering Officiated Thread, Welcome ye Plainswalkers Empty Re: Magic the Gathering Officiated Thread, Welcome ye Plainswalkers

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 am

It was only a matter of time, I guess winking

I gave up on Magic shortly after my friends were trying to get me into it. They just happened to have chosen the unfortunate time to try and introduce me back when Jace the Mindsculptor was roflstomping anybody who didn't know what they were doing, and it kinda killed the game for me sad
    However, I hear that particular Jace is now banned and have been looking for an excuse to try and give the game another shot, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anybody drops some sort of inspiration for me winking
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Magic the Gathering Officiated Thread, Welcome ye Plainswalkers Empty Re: Magic the Gathering Officiated Thread, Welcome ye Plainswalkers

Post by SunlightCrusader Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 am

Ahem so Wolf whenever you rear your head the planeswalkers were not that good you say? Ever heard of Red Deck Wins? It uses Koth. There are various decks based on Venser, most of them modern I believe. Elspeth does kind of suck though. The Hellkite is one of many devastating artifacts we have and do tell how you "stop" the swords. Also if you read the lore Melira not only is immune to phyrexian oil but can cure it in others.

Try it again Reaper there currently isn't anything like Jace the Mindsculptor to worry about.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:25 am

Man I wish my friends were still into this. I had a kick *** golgari deck back in the day, and I recently tried to make a werewolf deck but with only a single weekly tournament to play I dont really have motivation.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:56 pm

SunlightCrusader wrote:Ahem so Wolf whenever you rear your head the planeswalkers were not that good you say? Ever heard of Red Deck Wins? It uses Koth. There are various decks based on Venser, most of them modern I believe. Elspeth does kind of suck though. The Hellkite is one of many devastating artifacts we have and do tell how you "stop" the swords. Also if you read the lore Melira not only is immune to phyrexian oil but can cure it in others.

Try it again Reaper there currently isn't anything like Jace the Mindsculptor to worry about.

I hate plainswalkers. It ruins the creatiure dynamic. Mostd decks I play against try to use them on me and suffer for it. But even so I found that decks that dont use them as a crutch are by far in large better than others.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:58 pm

is there a MTG online playable version wherein you can build your decks from all of the series.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Well, there's always TappedOut.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Aye I based one of my booster draft decks off this archetype.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Viral I play a white human aggro; I have 2 copies of Gideon Jura (my avatar) in that deck. Gideon serves as a late game gamechanger due to his ability to a) Destroy a creature b) Force my opponent to attack leaving them open c) Become an invincible 6/6 Human Soldier until end of turn. No decent decks rely on planeswalkers to win a game for them, only to grant them greater control over the flow of the game.

By the way Viral it is spelled planeswalker not plainswalker. lol!
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:35 pm

I never played MTG, I was that Warhammer kid - or well... lets not mention other games xD
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm

I hate infect so much
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Infect is annoying but it can be delt with. Melira can literally bring an infect deck to a stop. Also a fast enough deck with some protection for its creatures seems to often work as well.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:19 pm

My bad then Sun.

I agree its a flow thing. But I still dislike using them. I have a copy of Soren to use for my Suicide Black. Its okay to use in friendly games as my mates an I chose one planeswalker each and made decks around them (we have one player for each avatar, and limits for only one a deck).
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah I pretty much only use Gideon, though if I could make a good deck to fit Venser I would. I currently don't have the cards or motivation for that though.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:44 pm

I love the trun 2 wik decks. Gte out a creature costing 0 mana, bounce it replay it, play another 2. get an artifact from you rdeck with annihilate 1. They lose. My friends speed infect deck lost like that, it was funny.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:17 pm

I play red ano/or white and/or blue most of the time, no meleria for me. Black standard having like 5 separate destroy target creature cards is also really ****** irritating. I don't think I've met a blue black standard deck my battle cry can handle.
    Xacktastic
    Xacktastic
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xacktastic Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I have like a 5000 card collection and about 30 decks, but I don;t play any more. Stopped collecting when Planeswalkers came out because I hate them so much.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Compared to some of the combos released recently, most planeswalkers are fairly tame. Just bait really, a kill this so I can build card, just dangerous enough to warrant you killing it as soon as it drops.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:43 pm

^This. Gideon Jura is specifically designed to force your opp to leave himself exposed for an attack. And if Gideon survives somehow even better as he will add 6 damage to your total but most likely he is dead. Planeswalkers truly are more like decoys most of the time as they typically die very fast. Recent stuff though is just disgusting and I don't mean the planeswalkers.:|
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Sun the swords can be destroyed along with hellkite, melira can be doombladed or any number of kill/exile cards elesh norn or sheoldred take care of her rather well, venser can be dealt with and he is one of the stronger ones i forgot he was released because i dnt see much of him where i play. koth can be dealt with as well as long as you play smart. and Gideon isnt invincible wen hes a 6/6 he can still be killed. and in regards to the devastating artifacts phyrexia has plenty as well. and sorry for derailing the gravesworn thread viral

Last edited by Wolfof Phyrexia on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 am

Hmm I'm pretty sure our little debate will keep going back and forth for I can find myriad ways to deal with the stuff you named...

A draw then. Sound good to you?
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:10 am

yea sounds good to me friend im sure we could keep at this but it gets boring after a while. so you run a white aggro deck sun? ive been useing a Blackwhite defense deck and it works fairly well. any card suggestions for it?
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:25 am

Uh do you have a list on tapped out or anything? Defense could mean many things.
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 am

no its basically put out a lot of small creatures and stall until i get the big stuff out. my cards are 2 phy. crusaders, 2 spectral riders, 4 preist of norn, 4 lost leonin, 1 black sun, and 1 white suns zenith,1 elesh norn and 1 sheoldred, 3 doomblades, 3 virulent wounds, 3 divine offerings, 2 norns annex, 2 timely reinforcements, 1 skithiryx. 1 honor of the pure, 1 mikaeus the unhallowed, 1 DoJ,1 lingering souls, 1 archangels light, 1 grimore of the dead, 1 lifes finale, 2 unburial rites, 2 royal assassins, and 1 curse of deaths hold, and the rest are lands. its a 65 card deck
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:25 am

I still say there was not archetype better than the Suidcide black. First turn I could have a 5/5 creature out and attacking, then by making use of Isochron Scpeter and one of the man black destroy creature cards I could be trashing any summon they made for 2 colourless.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am