Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
ZikoLogiKa NL
Serious_Much
DoughGuy
Forum Pirate
8 posters

Buying new games

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Buying new games Empty Buying new games

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 am

How do you guys do it?

Personally, I follow specific companies, and then buy individual games by other companies. So I buy nearly everything bethesda and obsidian make, but only care about the souls series by From or saints row from volition.

Also, in store, virtual, or mail order, given a choice?

I go in store usually, but I'm straight unwilling to hand some games to a clerk at the store. Dead or alive is a good example, I ordered that from amazon, nice and anonymous.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Buying new games Empty Re: Buying new games

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 am

Walk into a store, read the back, decide whther I like it or not, buy it or walk out. Purely decided on how good the back cover is.
    Exceptions for games like SKyrim/Dragons Dogma that get really talked up. I always buy those.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 am

I generally look around online at the reviews a game gets, then order it off amazon since it's cheaper usually and easier..

Also, it's been a few years since I've bought a recent game new from a shop, they're too overpriced so always preowned too.
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 pm

After being dissapointed many times as a kid when I got home with a new game, only to find out that it sucks , I have started to watch gametrailers & videoreviews carefully before even thinking about buying a new game.

I have always been picky in my gaming-choices and if the general setting of a game doesn't suit me , I won't even buy it for the great gameplay it might have.

For example I love the older Mortal Kombat's and MK2011 , but I can't get myself to play Dead or Alive or Tekken for instance.

As a kid I loved Diablo 1 and 2 for the gameplay , style , lore & setting and been looking for such a game on consoles ever since , tried Baldur's Gate and everything , but meeh ,

and then , FINALLY, this game called DARK SOULS arrived !! twisted

I usually buy & pre-order all games online because the prices in stores are much higher here in The Netherlands
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 pm

I follow companies that make rpgs and keep myself informed on major releases by others (I completely ignore shooters at this point; Halo Reach was the last unless something special comes along). I preorder only games from companies I have faith in (Bethesda, Bioware, etc). For all others I wait until after release to read reviews and ask my friends about it. I always buy hard copies though; I don't do xbl's games on demand.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Stare at the trailer for a long time, wonder if the game is worth my time, then go to the store.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:49 am

Watch critic/user reviews from Metascore. Then, watch a gameplay video and a trailer. If the game is from a studio I've never heard before, check what else have they made (exceptions apply; From made the mess called Armored Core V, and I still bought both Souls game) and then consider the price.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:47 pm

I check out GameCentral's review because they're usually 'on the money' when it comes to reviews. I also subscribe to GamesTM magazine and get a lot of info from them. I also download demo's whenever I can, as I think this is the best way to find out whether I am going to like a game or not.

As for buying games, we have a little independent game store in town called Voodoo Consoles which is very competitive when it comes to price, although I check the Amazon price too before I buy. We used to have a GameStation branch too until it closed when GAME went belly up. I really miss it because it was a great place to find second hand bargains. e.g. I got 'Twilight Princess on Game Cube for £30. The price online was anywhere between £60 and £90, so I reckon I got a pretty good deal. It was in perfect condition too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am