Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
Yarxov
ZikoLogiKa NL
dancash1808
Azran
Gk Mr Bane
Servant of Priscilla
Dr. Demento
ViralEnsign_
skeletons_everywhere
ARSP
Rarity
NPCWhiteMage
Quarik
FruitPunchNinja
Tolvo
GkMrBane
Serious_Much
User
Spurgun
Reaperfan
berkut
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Baal-Avatar
SunlightCrusader
DoughGuy
Wade_Wilson
billy_bayonet
DARKXLORD
Digitalyzed
LordRevan
34 posters

Brony Thread

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Brony Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Brony Thread

Post by Reaperfan Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Iron Will - the missing link?

For a Minotaur to exist in Equestria must mean that humans in some way exist in that sphere, right? It's clear bulls must exist given the preponderance of 4-legged hoofed mammals on the loose but wouldn't a bull/man hybrid point to there being humans prowling the landscape somewhere?

If you notice closely, Iron Will is actually half Bull, half Goat. Cows and bulls have been shown to exist in FiM's Equestria, as have Goats, so it makes a bit of sense. I'll leave the speculation of how a half-bull half-goat came into being to the fan fics though happy
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Reaperfan wrote:I'll leave the speculation of how a half-bull half-goat came into being to the fan fics though happy

Cool info Reaper, I just thought he was a clear nod to Ancient Greek mythology. But, of course, the fanfic "writers" will probably do a far better job of fleshing out this mystery than we here at the thread.

The Liger has been found out, so why not the Gull? lol!
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am

Well im a fan of MLP however I will wait till season 3 arrives on netflix to watch it.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:00 pm

GkMrBane wrote:Well im a fan of MLP however I will wait till season 3 arrives on netflix to watch it.

To watch season 3 or to watch Friendship is Magic? Because if it's season 3 there's a handy site called youtube where the episodes are usually uploaded the day of being shown without having to wait months happy
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:11 pm

You know, I'd watch MLP on the tele, except it airs at 8 AM. Even if it wasn't on Saturdays, I wouldn't watch it that early.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:50 pm

This fandom is just insane... silly

Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Yes. Just yes.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 am

Wade- Finally got around to reading some of your fics.

Attempt at review incoming: It seemed to me that everything happened a bit too quickly. Anon seemed like best buds with the Six after a single chapter, everyone (especially Celestia) seemed way too familiar with him after so little time spent chillin' together, and the problems with Discord and Celestia escalated almost instantly. Otherwise, apart from a few typos, 'twas pretty good. I'd like to see Anon fleshed out a bit more, but I guess you've only written a few chapters so far...
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:20 am

He says there's a lot more incoming, and, yes, it move real fast but if you watch the MLP: FiM episodes everything moves super fast there, I guess he just wanted to get into the action quickly.

Haven't read Chap. 6 yet (really need to) but I figure that now that Discord/Anon and the Mane 6/Celestia have split there will be more time for characterization.

Plus, RD's got such a heavy crush on Anon, that I don't doubt she'll do something brash and untoward against the will of the group any time now. lol
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 pm

So, I wondered what was so great about this series, and watched the first three episodes (up to Ticket Master).

I must say, the first two don't do justice to the series; it's actually nice and funny.

I... I... can't wait to watch a few more.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:This fandom is just insane... silly

Dear god rip off anything you want, just leave my culture alone :|
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Azran wrote:So, I wondered what was so great about this series, and watched the first three episodes (up to Ticket Master).

I must say, the first two don't do justice to the series; it's actually nice and funny.

I... I... can't wait to watch a few more.

Spoiler:
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Oh no the wiles of MLP have snared another one winking silly your taking over the forum one person ata time guys!
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 pm

reaper is taking them onto his hoof.

Quick, we need to remove this plague... Jimmy!? Get the skeleton boys!

:bas:
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 pm

I never really expected Twilight Sparkle (must avoid typing Sparkly Twinkly) to be the main character. It makes sense now, I guess.

I'm not an english native speaker, but I'm really digging the voices in this series.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Azran wrote:I never really expected Twilight Sparkle (must avoid typing Sparkly Twinkly) to be the main character. It makes sense now, I guess.

I'm not an english native speaker, but I'm really digging the voices in this series.

Twilight stops being the main character come season 2, and it expands to where all of the Mane 6 are main characters (hence the title, Mane 6 winking).

And honestly, the first thing that drew me in was the animation quality. Incredibly smooth and yet energetic, making it interesting to look at as well as flowing very easily happy
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Yeah, I love the animation quality. And I also love all the ways they find to erase the "human" part of some sayings. (Everypony, barehoofed, etc.)

On a random note, I find funny any kind of cartoon were the thought of a nobiliary caste is shown as positive.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes, the caste system is pretty weak.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Azran wrote:Yeah, I love the animation quality. And I also love all the ways they find to erase the "human" part of some sayings. (Everypony, barehoofed, etc.)

On a random note, I find funny any kind of cartoon were the thought of a nobiliary caste is shown as positive.

Just be careful not to start using ponified speech regularly lol!

And care to explain the second bit? I don't seem to follow what you mean :|
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 pm

He means like that an Africanized zebra has to live out in the jungle while the white, blue-blooded Alicorn queen rules over all creation form the within the palace walls.

Mules and other lower animals can also talk and make a living the world of Equestria but are clearly portrayed as less attractive and of lower status.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:He means like that an Africanized zebra has to live out in the jungle while the white, blue-blooded Alicorn queen rules over all creation form the within the palace walls.

Mules and other lower animals can also talk and make a living the world of Equestria but are clearly portrayed as less attractive and of lower status.

Incoming ethical debate about ponies?

Gonna disagree on alot of those points here winking
    First is that Zecora isn't forced to live in the Everfree Forest, she chooses to because it reminds her of her native homeland. Second, you imply that Celestia is a Queen, when in fact her designated title is Princess, and her role is more closely related to that of a god than a queen. And third, the other hoofed creatures are rarely portrayed as lower status, they just get less screentime.

Cows are shown to shop freely around Ponyville, there are two Donkeys living in Ponyville that are treated no different than the average citizen, Griffons go to flight school just like Pegasi, and the buffalo are shown to be incredibly cultured. Outside of a few mule jokes in season 1 (which were basically overridden as of Cranky Doodle and Matilda), the only species I can think of having been shown as "lower" than ponies is goats, and that's because they don't talk and follow Iron Will around as lackeys.

Your move happy
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:19 pm

But, for example, the buffalo's culture is only revealed until ponies (Pinkie Pie and RD, Dash in particular) take up their cause.

They are not taken regarded as cultured or as having an equal claim to the land by the settler ponies until such a time as ponies begin to champion their cause. And it takes the Chief having to taste some Applejack's Westernized eats to fully come around, because, y'know, the natives couldn't possibly have been eating well without pony intervention.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Holy Cow people, I'm just at the third episode of the first season. I just meant the portrayal of a royalty-led country as something with positive outcomes; it's a thing most fairy tales and some cartoons have.

Every political system has problems, but in a political system where one being of - supposedly - divine origin (as the Queen seems to be) rules as it sees fit, a lot of problems arise.

Either way, I did not meant to derail about the ethical problems of Equestria. It was just a thing I've noticed in quite a few shows.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 pm

She's got a sister too. Who supposedly was every bit as integral to the formation of the world.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:57 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:But, for example, the buffalo's culture is only revealed until ponies (Pinkie Pie and RD, Dash in particular) take up their cause.

They are not taken regarded as cultured or as having an equal claim to the land by the settler ponies until such a time as ponies begin to champion their cause. And it takes the Chief having to taste some Applejack's Westernized eats to fully come around, because, y'know, the natives couldn't possibly have been eating well without pony intervention.

Looking at only one of my points, eh?

The only reason the buffalo are ever considered "uncivilized" is because of the battle of perspectives being done in that episode. The uncivilized aspect comes when it's told through the settler ponies' perspective, which is intentionally made biased against the Buffalo for the purpose of the episode's lesson. The fact that this is false is only revealed through the interaction with Rainbow, Pinkie, and Spike because they are the characters whose perspectives the viewer sees the series from. What they learn, the audience learns. The Buffalo didn't magically become cultured once the ponies intervened, the intervention is merely the first thing that brought the audience's attention to their culture in contrast to what they'd already been told.

Also, the settler ponies didn't magically decide to understand the Buffalo because Rainbow and Pinkie decided to speak up for them. In fact, the Mane 6 became split, with some of them championing the Buffalo and some championing the settler ponies. Their intervention actually led to an escalation of the conflict as opposed to settling the matter between the two. This leads into your last point (which is really silly btw winking), about Chief Thunderhooves tasting the apple pie during the final conflict. He didn't suddenly change his mind out of desperation for adequate food, he did it because tasting it made him realize that the settler ponies had something to offer that he'd be willing to make a compromise over.

Just because the Buffalo have a more primitive lifestyle, doesn't make them less civilized or lower ranking than the ponies. Both sides were equally intolerant, with the Buffalo actually coming out slightly ahead in terms of their capacity for cultural understanding.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 am