Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Carphil
JoeBroski09
Argetlam350
ROOSTER330
ParasiticEve
9 posters

Just got a Drake Sword

ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Just got a Drake Sword Empty Just got a Drake Sword

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:15 am

I followed a vid saying that the Drake Sword is a must get for new players. I spent a large sum of my souls to get it and it is not good at all.... I really prefer my Battle Axe +5 over it. Like it's not fun to just run in and one hit everything I come across right now. And in one vid I read it's useless later on :\
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Just got a Drake Sword Empty Re: Just got a Drake Sword

Post by ROOSTER330 Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 am

You got it. It will only upgrade so far, so other weapons will surpass it in time. I never use it myself, but keep it around just in case you run into a problem area later, at least while its still uzeful. Waisted souls sucks, but all experience is good
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:28 am

The Drake Sword is good for the new players who find finding enemies a challenge. But unlike most weapons in game, its stats and damage it does to enemies remains the same no matter what level you really are so as you progress through the game it becomes basically useless compared to all the other weapons that do follow your stats. For me, I've tested the Drake Sword and feel that it's maybe good up until you hit Quelaag and then it starts to become useless.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:29 am

Nice avatar, Eve big grin

Anyway, any weapon +5 is better than that sword, without a doubt. But the sword is a nice easy way to get to Andre if you just want to be able to kill stuff easy right before you can upgrade your weapon. It's really only usable between the time you see the dragon and the time you see Andre. I haven't gotten it in a while. I just parry/repost with my horrible starter weapon, which is slow, but it gets the job done.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:32 am

Is good until queelag, and maybe until Ornstein and Smough if upgraded at least to +3, but then, there is nothing more to say. Its useless.
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 am

Maybe its comfort level, I went to fight that rock guy in the burg with that sword and got killed several times, one time almost before getting my stain with a few dozen humanities in it. I switch to my axe and use the electric resin on it and I kill him. My axe wasn't as good at first but is better after getting it to +5
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 am

Yep. Like I said, almost ANY weapon +5 is better than the drake sword. It's ONLY good if you use it before you can upgrade your weapon.
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 am

I got mine far after getting decent gear. I have a black knight halberd from the forest. I saw Epicnamebro kill one boss using it so im going to get my stats up to use it and try to mod it.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 am

ParasiticEve wrote:I got mine far after getting decent gear. I have a black knight halberd from the forest. I saw Epicnamebro kill one boss using it so im going to get my stats up to use it and try to mod it.

No problem, but be aware that those weapons require heavy stats investment, and first of all, you are going to need Vitality and Endurence to survive the first levels. Once you have at least 25 of Vit and 20 End, you can start to invest in another stat for weapons. The BK halberd is a good weapon, but, like the drake sword, it rely on base damage and cannot be enchanted (i.e. lightning resin), you can upgrade it with Twinkling titanite
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:41 am

Im playing the game now farming to level up more now.

Im level 48 with 20 vitality, 9 Attunement, 25 Endurance, 25 Strength, 22 Dexterity, 11 Resistance, 9 Intelligence, 9 Faith.

They let me use it when I two hand it but then I can't block with my shield
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:57 am

ParasiticEve wrote:Im playing the game now farming to level up more now.

Im level 48 with 20 vitality, 9 Attunement, 25 Endurance, 25 Strength, 22 Dexterity, 11 Resistance, 9 Intelligence, 9 Faith.

They let me use it when I two hand it but then I can't block with my shield

well you can block with the weapon itself, its just not so effective, upgrade your vitality to 25 or 30, and then start to upgrade your STR until you have necessary stat to one hand it
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:17 am

The drake sword can be fun if you want to do a challenge run; I like using it on dragon characters especially.
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:25 am

I just think it's too strong of a weapon in the game for people starting early on. Like a handicap kind of. And plus by the time I got it I had somewhat better stuff already.

Also can anyone tell me the best time to go to the catacombs? And what weapons best work there?
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 am

Catacombs. Welp, a divine weapon. So grab whatever weapon you want, kill the Butterfly, and grab the divine ember. Make the weapon divine +5, and go down in the catacombs. I'd recommend a 1hko weapon. I usually two hand a greatsword or a zwei. It usually will 1hko the skeletons, and that just makes things easier in general considering they're pretty fast. Either that or use combustion, but they won't die predominantly until you kill the necromancer in each area.

Oh, and the BKH is a beast and fun weapon to use, but like Carphil said, you need endurance and vitality first. Those BK weapons are usually for 2h early on. Or for people who want to farm a lot. If you don't want to level a lot, then it's for veterans who don't put stats into vitality anyway. Like ENB and Vagetta. But if you're ok with farmin', go ahead. Whatever you want to do in the game happy

PS: how do you have -1 when your OP was voted positive? I'm so confused haha!
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 am

So like a divine claymore will do the job there? And I actually followed Vagetas guide when I started, the one how to get strong before taurus demon. I just did some things a little differently though. I don't have any pyro, spells, or healing yet either. I was focused on getting my stats high to use gear early on.

I think that's negative from a while back, I read the forums a lot and saw one post that I really didn't like and replied to it. My best guess people clicked dislike on it.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 am

Huh. Weird. Well, is this your first time playing DkS? I'd recommend not looking at any more guides, but, I guess you've probably seen a whole LP through the entire game? Oh well, whatever works for ya. big grin Each to their own.

And yeah. Divine claymore should be fine, if you're willing to waste the claymore, since anything divine is worthless after you've actually gone through the catacombs, since once you kill all the necromancers, they won't respawn ANYWAY, and the skeletons at Nito just keep dying from Nito, so it's pretty much a waste to focus on them if they're just gonna die and respawn from HIM. I've never once tried to kill them with a Divine. I didn't know they'd be in there the first time I played through, and then Nito just killed them all anyway. So it allll worked out big grin

Aaaanyway, what did I just say?
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 am

I watched a ton of playrun vids of this game and on top of those watch my older brother play this game when im not on the PS3.

Which weapon would you make Divine?? You saying waste the claymore makes me think I should save it for something else.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:08 am

Claymore's a favorite weapon by a lot of people since it has a thrust and a slash. It's all about the moveset.

I'd personally go with something you'll never use ever again but has high damage. Like a normal Greatsword. Or a weapon you can buy multiple times.... like a normal greatsword.
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:20 am

I use a bastard sword for divine alot, it can be bought from Andre the blacksmith for 3000 souls and you can always buy another one after making one divine. Just a suggestion.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:21 am

That's a good one, too.
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:27 am

Okay ill use the bastard sword then... my brother has an occult weapon (he's playing now) whats the difference?
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:30 am

Occult does more damage against humans, but it reduces scaling, and adds Faith scaling, but it doesn't usually compare with lightning or fire. Actually, I don't ever think it does compare sad Idk for sure, but Occult doesn't kill the skeletons permanently in the Catacombs like a divine.

A lot of people are lazy and reverse upgrade the Occult club to divine for a weak divine weapon just to kill the skeletons permanently. This is usually for people without the resources to upgrade another weapon to Divine, since in the long run, it'll take you longer with that weak club.
    ParasiticEve
    ParasiticEve
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ParasiticEve Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:38 am

Well I have several weapons to choose from I just been stocking up items since I pick up every shiny I come across. My brother seems to be getting better loot in Anor Londo, I haven't even reached there yet. I actually don't know where I plan to go yet.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:41 am

Anor Londo has OK loot, but personally, all I need is a halberd and a greatsword. And I'm happy big grin So, really, grab something fun to use like the Server, and go down and upgrade it to fire (It has a crazy nice fire upgrade path) or something cool and abstract like that. Make the game yours and play it through. Really. Lordran is your oyster.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:44 am

And then Rooster deletes his post hahaha! big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:25 am