Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Bloodios
ICEFANG
skarekrow13
DoughGuy
Seignar
9 posters

Backstep - The answer to all your poise or weight problems?

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Backstep - The answer to all your poise or weight problems? Empty Backstep - The answer to all your poise or weight problems?

Post by Seignar Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:29 pm

So the backstep (Neutral Roll) has a couple of properties you may know of (If you know where to look). In case you don't know, they are:

1) It is not treated as a roll and so cannot be used with thorn armor. It is however, affected in the same manner as rolls.
    2) It has start-up invincibility frames (Too many fighting games); you're immune to all damage the first frames when you press the button.
    3) You have a ton of poise during the time you are performing the backstep
    4) A follow-up normal attack will result in a running attack equivalent
    5) The distance which you move from a backstep is NOT affected by your equip burden, but it IS affected slightly by having the DWGR
    6) In any case, the backstep travels less distance than any of the other rolls, and the recovery time of the heavy backstep is faster than the recovery of the heavy roll , but all the other weight classes have equal recovery with their own weight rolls.

So where am I going with this? Well, knowing all this, do you suppose that the backstep is an underused ability that has a good use?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Backstep - The answer to all your poise or weight problems? Empty Re: Backstep - The answer to all your poise or weight problems?

Post by DoughGuy Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:30 pm

The hard part is ever hitting the damn roll button without holding a direction at the same time.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Backstep - The answer to all your poise or weight problems? Empty Re: Backstep - The answer to all your poise or weight problems?

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 pm

I've been toying with it. The sudden burst attack is awesome. The I frames can be tricky
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:52 pm

I use it quite often, but have to be careful when using it with a Halberd.
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:11 pm

I often bait in the attacker and use the backstep and light attack combo with the Great Scythe. I find it highly efficient to say the least.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 pm

I'll assume you all are talking about this in the pvp-sense, despite our not being in the pvp section. So I think the backstep-attack is awesome against lesser to medium players, but with better players I think you have to be super careful with your timing since you can see it coming a mile away and they've probably developed counters (including the dreaded parry/rip).
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:47 am

It may have some uses, but not many. And using a running attack after neutral rolling it's foolish. You would get BSed very easily.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:46 am

The backstep is way under used. In most situation it's much more useful then a backwards roll. It also makes Med rolling really capable in PvP. Just don't be an idiot and follow up every backstep with an attack
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 am

For me, I'm not just using the Great Scythe the entire time. I would switch to the Dragonslayer Spear, throw out a few jabs with the shield on, then circle around and pretend to aim for a backstab, all for the purpose of putting the pressure on the opponent and bait for an attack, then immediately switch to the (Lightning) Great Scythe and pull out the dash attacks and running attacks when the opponent does a bad roll. From time to time, I would also throw in a couple of feints to disrupt the flow (backstep only.) So yeah, the backstep is rather effective, but only when it is hidden well among other moves. By the way, this strategy only applies for 1-on-1 and the opponent will more than likely to catch on to it when the fight drags out long enough.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 am

Stop giving away all my fighting secrets. :x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm