Long Sword Description
The Longsword is described as having
- a two edged blade with a handle largely enough to be wielded two handed
- The Length of the blade is usually between 40-48 inches long
- It usually weighs between five to eight pounds
A Brief History
The Medieval Longsword also known as a bastard and the Hand and a half swords were used largely around 1350 and their use ended around 1550. Longswords were almost exclusively by knights up until the 15th century when they were used by unarmored soldiers and Mercenaries. Despite being a seemingly simple weapon Longswords took years to master. The Page would start practice at the age of 7 and wouldn't be finished until the age of twenty-one when he became an actual knight.
Longsword Training and Techniques
Most Pages trained in an area called the Pell. The pell was essentially a tree trunk that the page with a wooden sword(that was more than twice the weight of a normal longsword to ensure muscle growth) would strike over and over again to master sword and shield techniques. (Which the Knight Class probrably did before he/she became an undead) Many of the Techniques the Page would learn with this sword included (I will not go into detail as to how they are done if you want to know I will put my sources at the bottom)
- The Passing Step- which is a simple step forward or stepbackward
- The Four Guards- Which are essentially for Stance used to guard attacks
- The Strike- A two-handed strike used to injure or kill the opponent it get's it's power by leveraging the hilt of the sword
- The Thrust- Which is a stab normally used to penetrate armor to strike a killing blow.
- The Slice- Which is used to injure the opponent so that they cannot continue to wield a sword. Allowing you to finish them off.
- The Halfsword- Which is when you grab half of the Blade and thrust it. Excellent Technique for penetrating Armor
The Ingame model of the Long Sword is likely based upon the German longsword
In Game Review
The longsword is avaible at the start for the warrior class or purchasable from Andre of Astora for 1,000 souls. It is of the Straight Sword Class of weapon. The Long Sword has a standard 80 damage with the common 100 Critical bonus. It is enchantable and can be upgraded towards any upgrade path in the game. It has light weight with 3.0 and a decent 200 durability. This weapon may overall be standard but it does have on advantage it's moveset. The longsword's Move set allows one to adjust and adapt to just about any situation. Swing for those pesky hollows and thrust for times when you are trapped in a hallway. Thanks to it's low stat requirement it can be an excellent backup weapon for sorcerors who don't want ot put too much points into strength or dex to have a decent weapon. The Longsword if upgraded and used correctly can take you throughout the entire game if you are skilled enough. For these reasons I am giving the weapon a 7 out of 10. The only reason why it isn't higher is because only vets can use this weapon longterm.
Last edited by ARSP on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixed pound)