Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Carphil
Dante_000
ICEFANG
Ghadis_God
callipygias
Rynn
Anonymous Proxy
IV_Mark_VI
leopard2lx
13 posters

Is Greatsword of Artorias Worth it?

leopard2lx

Is Greatsword of Artorias Worth it? Empty Is Greatsword of Artorias Worth it?

Post by leopard2lx Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm currently Level 150 cleric with strong Endurance/Strentgh/Faith build.
    I usually use Black Knight Greataxe (618 damage) or Fire Zweihander (728 damage).

I was thinking about trying to use the Greatsword of Artorias but I would need to put 12 points into Intelligence to be able to use it which it quite a bit.

Would that be worth it? Would it do any decent damage?
    I don't do PvP so this is ONLY for PvE.

I also know that Greatsword of Artorias scales nicely with intelligence which I won't use past the 20 points I need to use the sword.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Is Greatsword of Artorias Worth it? Empty Re: Is Greatsword of Artorias Worth it?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:46 pm

It's best at 40 int/40 faith and then the physical stats I think.

What are you current stats at lvl 150? 12 levels is tough on PvE...
    leopard2lx

Is Greatsword of Artorias Worth it? Empty Re: Is Greatsword of Artorias Worth it?

Post by leopard2lx Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:02 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:It's best at 40 int/40 faith and then the physical stats I think.

What are you current stats at lvl 150? 12 levels is tough on PvE...

Stats:
    40 Vit
    50 Str
    50 End
    45 Faith
    18 Dex
    8 Int
    Anonymous Proxy
    Anonymous Proxy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Anonymous Proxy Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:08 pm

<___< If you're Dex and Int aren't even 40 yet, wtf are you going to do with the GSOA? Bounce it around?

That weapon is pure amazing in PVP. Pre-Patch as of right now, it can stun lock and destroy. I'd say it's on par with the MLGS if you're 40/40/40/40 or 30/30/30/30.

=O
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Not worth it. Use Grant in the meantime; if you want to lvl up int go for it. lvlling up a dex weapon and using it with Sunlight blade will wreck face more than the greatsword, but up to you.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:33 pm

The GSoA has 140 for it's divine stat. So vs Skeletons and other catacomb enemies, it's litterally the strongest weapon in the game.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 pm

How does that stat work? Is it a multiplier (like does 140% damage)?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:41 pm

it's a multiplier. 100 is 100% damage, 140 is 140%.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm

leopard2lx wrote:I don't do PvP so this is ONLY for PvE.
    The forumers are strongly PvP-minded, so take all this into consideration. This was one of my favorite swords when I started. I boosted my int just to use both the Artorias swords, and at the time I had no interest in PvP, so I just leveled and leveled and leveled up.

If you're planning on capping your level at some point then I guess it probably isn't worth it, as it won't out-damage your other weaps, but the only real reason you'd want to cap is if you want to keep this character PvP-viable in the future, in case you become interested. If that's the case SL 200 would be a good idea for him.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:58 pm

No, I took that he was only doing PvE into account. Grants does a ton of damage with his current stats.

WIth a lowish dex/int, Greatsword of Artorias isn't worth it. Sure, use whatever you want, but most people see that this thing levels with 4 stats and think WHOA! AWESOME! MEGADAMAGE! and... this isn't the case, not until your stats are much higher from what I've read. Haven't tested the values myself, but you can with Mugen's.

So use that tool and test it out.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Grant AR: 728
    Greatsword of Artorias AR: 562 (with 20 int)
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Unless you have 40 in all of your scaling stats, it isn't viable in PvP. However, it's a great weapon for PvE if you intend to level everything up eventually.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

I agree in general, but I guess my point is that in PvE you don't always need a 700 attack rating. Sometimes just a badass looking sword is what the situation calls for.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Totally agree with that.

So's Grant big grin

And levelling up from 150 to 200+... that's a lot of souls. Enough to easily level up the Greatsword and Grant.
    leopard2lx

Post by leopard2lx Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:38 pm

I've used Grant a few times and I just don't like it.
    Sometimes it does less damage than the Fire Zweihander or Black Knight GreatAxe and it's too slow. Sure the Zweihander is slow too BUT it has a stun/stagger effect which almost always buys you time to get another strong shot in or pull back or whatever.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Its worthless, even at max stats, you'd be better off using a +15 weapon with a buff in PvE and PvP (and I know you said just PvE). Its stats are terrible, 720 AR at MAX stats, which would take freaking forever legitimately isn't impressive, even less so that its split. Its a terrible weapon and I'm amazed anyone likes it. It has terrible damage, spreads your stats out in a bad way, and has a terrible moveset. It swings slightly faster and is longer, whop da do. Use a +15 Claymore, that will be better overall, and if you buff it, then you're in serious pain train. PvE, the GSoA will out damage it, but in NG+++ it will stop being as powerful, not to mention, unlikely to be at the power level that can compare at anything less than 99/99/99/99.
    Dante_000
    Dante_000
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dante_000 Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:22 am

Grants two handed R2 attack can easily do 1.5k - 2k damage with the right stat investments. So at your current stats use Grant, since it scales best with Faith & Strength.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm

callipygias wrote:
    If you're planning on capping your level at some point then I guess it probably isn't worth it, as it won't out-damage your other weaps, but the only real reason you'd want to cap is if you want to keep this character PvP-viable in the future, in case you become interested. If that's the case SL 200 would be a good idea for him.
    Awesome answer! This sword is not meant for capping, its all about fun and not stats.

ICEFANG wrote:Its worthless, even at max stats, you'd be better off using a +15 weapon with a buff in PvE and PvP (and I know you said just PvE). Its stats are terrible, 720 AR at MAX stats, which would take freaking forever legitimately isn't impressive, even less so that its split. Its a terrible weapon and I'm amazed anyone likes it.

Its atractive as a beautiful woman and it swings beatifully in a black-blue tone. Do you need anything else in a weapon? big grin
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

A holy weapon of a paladin that makes explosions around you? That's what you need.
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 am

The problem with the Grant is that it deals a huge amount of divine damage, so even at 740 it's nowhere near as efficient as the BKGA.

IMHO the True GSOA becomes a decent weapon only if you have at least 40 of everything it scales with.

So yeah, many Faith-related weapons suck if you ask me. Even an Occult +5 weapon will be useful only against certain enemies.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:A holy weapon of a paladin that makes explosions around you? That's what you need.

I like the way this guy thinks!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 am

The Greatsword of Artorias is genuinely better then every other greatsword due to it's range. This permits one to hit at least twice, garentee'd, even with the reduced attack speed on the DLC
    Alara78
    Alara78
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Alara78 Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:59 am

Short answer: no

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Aww Rynn. Backup Grant! It's an awesome weapon. Would a character named after Leeroy Jenkins use anything second rate? No. He grabs the biggest weapon he can, and he charges. Like any self-respecting berserker would do.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:43 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Aww Rynn. Backup Grant! It's an awesome weapon. Would a character named after Leeroy Jenkins use anything second rate? No. He grabs the biggest weapon he can, and he charges. Like any self-respecting berserker would do.

He's a paladin.
    And the one who loves chicken the most.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:43 am