Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Deathsitexxi
Knight Alundil
Tolvo
BIG TIME MASTER
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
raecor14
vatar5
Mr. Tart
Digitalyzed
User
mugenis4real
15 posters

You Ever Get To That Dark Place?

GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

You Ever Get To That Dark Place? - Page 2 Empty Re: You Ever Get To That Dark Place?

Post by GrinTwist Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 am

To be honest what really hurt were the deaths of my friends. I never cared for the ones that never wanted to hang out with me. But when one of my closer friends died of a car crash and one of my other friends committing suicide a year and a half later I'm almost completely alone.

Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

You Ever Get To That Dark Place? - Page 2 Empty Re: You Ever Get To That Dark Place?

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 am

I feel bad for you. But honestly, i sometimes wish i had friends that died. Most people just avoid me, so i've pretty much always been backstabbed. I know it doesn't sound good, but the thought itself is just so much better.

Even then, i do feel bad for you, although i doubt that is of any help.

Edit: I know it sounds bad, and obviously it is. But allow me to explain myself. I've never been wanted by anyone, so the thought of someone actually dying with the desire of being my friend, would probably be the best feeling i'd ever have experienced.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 am

I can feel you there Tart.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks. I'm really just posting because I really don't have anyone to turn to anywhere else. I didn't actually expect advice I just thought I would feel better if I just let it out.

I've learned how to let go also my family taught me that the hard way. So when my friend died in that car accident it took a while but I was able to get rid of the pain that I had felt because of that loss.

It's the suicide that got to me though. It still sometimes does, because I don't know if it was my fault or not. I was close with them and knew that they had been diagnosed with depression. It just hurts me that they might have thought that I hadn't cared enough and it makes me feel like I should have done something for them.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:52 am

Funny you mention "letting it out."

There's a thread for that. winking

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t4319-the-let-it-out-thread

But don't be ridiculous there's no way that suicide could have been your fault. I can't even fathom that.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 am

You shouldn't think like that though. I know i'm not one to speak, but i was suicidal for quite some time because of the way people treated me. The thoughts of killing myself ran through my head all the time. And i knew there was people that cared for me, but all the hatred i recieved, it was just too much, so i just couldn't concentrate on the happy thoughts. It will of course always be a mistery, but you were his friend, as a friend, of course you will make mistakes, and you will argue. But remember, you were his FRIEND, and that says something.

On another note, i understand the case of having a hard time getting rid of the pain, to move forward. Please, do not take offense to the example i'll be using, but a couple of years ago now, my cat died from an epileptic attack. She was 20 years old, and she had been with my since the day i was born. I considered the cat my best friend throughout my whole life, still haven't gotten over her.

Like i said though, i apologize if you took offense to me comparing your friend with my cat, my point is though, you're not alone, and even though it may not be the best of help, just keep in mind, he died being your friend, and you his.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 am

By the way, I was wondering if anyone read the quote I posted. I thought it was a pretty interesting look at depression.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 am

No, I didn't catch it. :|

EDIT: Found it. And yeah, it really hits the nail on the head. The suggestion that if you haven't fought in war you haven't felt real depression is shockingly ignorant.

Last edited by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:04 am

Tolvo wrote:“We exist in a culture that, despite all the scientific knowledge we have on the subject, tries to suppress discussions of depression. A lot of people simply do not want to talk about it, even though more than 38,000 people committed suicide in the United States in 2010. As you are reading this right now, someone, somewhere in the US is probably in the process of killing him- or herself.

“Unfortunately, many people who suffer from depression feel as if they cannot speak about it. In my past, there have been instances in which my superiors explicitly told me not to talk about my mental illness at work or even tweet about it. But it goes beyond the workplace, too. A Vietnam veteran once brushed off my depression, telling me that since I’ve not had to fight in a war, I have never had anything remotely resembling a truly bad day.

“I have, at times, felt like I had no chance to speak out about what was going on in my head, and so it came as little surprise that when I finally admitted to my mother this year that I had been suicidal for a large chunk of my life, she was completely caught off guard. The problem was not that she didn’t pay attention. The problem was that I learned to hide my condition from most people very well.

“But hiding doesn’t solve anything; rather, it creates more issues. As anyone who has dealt with depression can attest, being alone in your own head when a bad spell hits is the worst feeling in the world. Sufferers have to know they can share their feelings with others, but we do a bad job of letting them do that.”

-Phils Owens on the suicide of game journalist Matt Hughes.

I suggest you find people to be open about yourself with, even if they are just people online. I deal with extreme depression on a daily basis and it honestly helps to have anyone to talk with. Don't ever feel alone man and keep working towards whatever your goals are despite what others say.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:19 am

@Tart It's understandable you obviously had emotional ties to that cat maybe not as strong of emotional ties or maybe they were equivalent who knows? I'm glad you are at least giving advice unlike others that would just walk away.

I'm also not easy to offend so don't worry about the example.

@Pendant I think it will just take longer for me to let go of the idea that of their death. I've been able to let go of a lot in my life so maybe in time I will be able to let go of the idea that I was responsible for their death.

@Tolvo Yeah that quote sums up everything that I could say on the issue of depression and more. Thanks for posting it.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:28 am

Glad you didn't. However, most people consider friendship between man and animal less worthy than one between human and human. Trust me, google something about the subject and you'll find people speaking about it all the time.

''It's just an animal!''

Back on subject, you may never lose the thoughts of feeling guilty. That's part of it sadly, but the importance is that you know you were a friend of his, and you need to cherish the memories you had. Try to look at things through his eyes. I can't say what he thinks, but i doubt he would be happy with you feeling and thinking the way you do. Because at the end of the day, you were friends, and that is all that matters.

Oh, and technically he's not dead. He lives through your memories.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 am

Just read this thread and anyone who's followed my off topic ramblings knows of at least a few of my darker times. If you would humor me a quote from a song I've heard a lot of recently:

"You never know what's around the bend.
    A big adventure or a brand new friend.
    When you're curious.
    Like Curious George!
    SWING! "

OK that seems silly and maybe wholly inappropriate perhaps. But honestly, this is a perfect song capturing the approach that's gotten me through those dark times. There's a bend right up ahead. Maybe it's more #&$@. But maybe it's not. Only those curious enough to look will ever find out
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 am

Honestly I think is is sad that good people like yourselves should be made to or have to feel that way....so do what I do when Im kinds down....

wait for a sunny day, fling all the doors and windows open, crack open a six pack and play games and attempt to get a tan all day long.... ah weekends are made of stuff like that!
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:41 am

Here I thought I was going through this alone and it seems so many of you have/are suffered/suffering similarly. Now I know why there's a "Let It Out Thread". 😢
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:46 am

Since that is the case i suggest we build up an army.

Fight the oppression! Hurrah
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:48 am

I think we should fight the Depression instead.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 am

Fight the Depression SMASH THE SYSTEM! ANARCHY FOR EVER....

well I think I summed it up right there....silly
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:50 am

Even better, both.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:55 am

Well you guys fight the depression, I'll absorb it. So there is less for you guys to deal with.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:58 am

Awww come now Tolvo its more fun if you join us!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:01 am

With diagnosed Chronic Depression, it's a bit hard to fight it. I'm better off just learning to live with it.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:04 am

Tolvo wrote:With diagnosed Chronic Depression, it's a bit hard to fight it. I'm better off just learning to live with it.

Your actually diagnosed? How did you first find out?
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 am

In a slightly related note, just finished "The Psychopath Test" by the guy that wrote the Men Who Stare at Goats (Totally forgot his name sorry), and it's a really good window into the world of psychology, which even explains to those with little knowledge on it a lot of facts behind mentality, and even better, methods of spotting a psychopath.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:07 am

I'd rather not get into that, the sort of stuff just shouldn't be on the forum.
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 am

Maybe not, but the book is pretty well written, and I was merely suggesting the read.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 am