Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Deathsitexxi
Tolvo
BIG TIME MASTER
7 posters

Assassins Creed III

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Assassins Creed III Empty Assassins Creed III

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:21 pm

I just wasted fifty bucks.

I hadn't played the series and bought it on a whim. In short, its typical mainstream garbage. Gameplay can be summed up as:

Loading screen - lengthy cinematic - walk from here to here - loading screen - cinematic- walk here, press this button - cinematic- loading screen - cinematic- walk here, climb this, press this button - cinematic - repeat, repeat, repeat

I stopped playing after two hours because I was falling asleep, and I'm not even tired. The only thing done well is the graphics. The controls are bizarre and I don't feel in control of anything. Instead of gameplay they have substitued an "interactive story", which boils down to you pressing a button you are told to press and then watch your character do wild ****. It just isn't any fun. And the story isn't interesting. It is set in a realistic environment but everything that is happening is just ridiculous.

I'm so turned off by the "end of the world and only you can stop it" cookie cutter plot. Why does everything have to be so over the top? Isn't the very notion of assassination pretty dramatic on its own? Why can't I just get a simple assassin story? Hell, I don't even need a story. Just give me a paragraph explaining that I'm an assassin and I have to murder subject "x" for reason "y" and let me play a damn game. Let ME be an assassin, and stop watching one who is acting loosely based on my controls.

Before I totally rule it out I will play a little further into it, but you know it's hard to overcome a bad first impression...

Last edited by BIG TIME MASTER on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Assassins Creed III Empty Re: Assassins Creed III

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:22 pm

I know how you feel, I was considering buying this one. I really disliked the other games of the series but this world looked a lot more open with a lot more of an impact you can make, buying businesses going across the sea and what not. So I watched the start of a playthrough...After seeing it has more cutscenes than MGS4 with less freedom, I knew I wouldn't be getting it.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:26 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I just wasted fifty bucks.

I hadn't played the series and bought it on a whim. In short, its typical mainstream garbage. Gameplay can be summed up as:

Loading screen - lengthy cinematic - walk from here to here - loading screen - cinematic- walk here, press this button - cinematic- loading screen - cinematic- walk here, climb this, press this button - cinematic - repeat, repeat, repeat

I stopped playing after two hours because I was falling asleep, and I'm not even tired. The only thing done well is the graphics. The controls are bizarre and I don't feel in control of anything. Instead of gameplay they have substitued an "interactive story", which boils down to you pressing a button you are told to press and then watch your character do wild ****. It just isn't any fun. And the story isn't interesting. It is set in a realistic environment but everything that is happening is just ridiculous.

I'm so turned off by the "end of the world and only you can stop it" cookie cutter plot. Why does everything have to be so over the top? Isn't the vary notion of assassination pretty dramatic on its own? Why can't I just get a simple assassin story? Hell, I don't even need a story. Just give me a paragraph explaining that I'm an assassin and I have to murder subject "x" for reason "y" and let me play a damn game. Let ME be an assassin, and stop watching one who is acting loosely based on my controls.

Before I totally rule it out I will play a little further into it, but you know it's hard to overcome a bad first impression...

AC3 is much slower starting than the previous games. Not until you get access to the full open world will you see what the fuss is about. The beginning of this game is quite frustrating compared to the others too, they keep you on a tight leash. Do give it some time the best parts of the game are not the missions but the roaming around and exploring, the hunting, opening up the map, collection bits =). Ubi has made this one seems to much like a cash cow though I'll give you that... with all the season pass/extra content bull....Hopefully it gets better for you but remember.... if you got it at gamestop and you have the receipt they will take it back if it's been less than 7 days =)
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 pm

I spent the first hour of the game saying over and over, "Can I just play the game?"

I used to think highly of Ubisoft but they are really turning me off now, mostly because of the botching of Ghost Recon, but this ain't helping.

The shame is that I really want to like the game. Freerunning, an open and highly detailed environment, super slick graphics, cool weapons, and a historic setting. All the ingredients are there for a badass casserole, but Ubisoft has just forgotten how to cook it seems.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:32 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I spent the first hour of the game saying over and over, "Can I just play the game?"

I used to think highly of Ubisoft but they are really turning me off now, mostly because of the botching of Ghost Recon, but this ain't helping.

The shame is that I really want to like the game. Freerunning, an open and highly detailed environment, super slick graphics, cool weapons, and a historic setting. All the ingredients are there for a badass casserole, but Ubisoft has just forgotten how to cook it seems.

To get to the point where you can just free roam the open world and enjoy yourself is literally like 5 hours in lol. It's sad because that's going to be a huge turn off to people other than big fans of the series....
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Deathsitexxi wrote:
    AC3 is much slower starting than the previous games. Not until you get access to the full open world will you see what the fuss is about. The beginning of this game is quite frustrating compared to the others too, they keep you on a tight leash. Do give it some time the best parts of the game are not the missions but the roaming around and exploring, the hunting, opening up the map, collection bits =). Ubi has made this one seems to much like a cash cow though I'll give you that... with all the season pass/extra content bull....Hopefully it gets better for you but remember.... if you got it at gamestop and you have the receipt they will take it back if it's been less than 7 days =)

I figured that I hadn't really gotten to the meat of the game yet, so I am willing to put more time into it.

What is really bothering me is the horrible firearms controls. You have to highlight an enemy by generally pointing the camera in his direction and then you just press y and he magically dies. You dont actually aim at all. Your character just raises the gun for a split second and blam! bad guy is dead.

Then the melee fighting is just smashing x over and over and then holding b when an enemy has an icon appear above his head. So if you can press B when you see a red triangle, you are essentially invunerable. I got bored after a few minutes in Boston because I skipped a cutscene and didn't know what the hell I was supposed to be doing, so I started killing some redcoats. I just started playing the game and I ended up killing almost every limey in town, but it wasn't any fun!
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Five hours??? Sheesh, I don't know if I can watch five hours of a lame wanna-be movie to get to an actual game.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 pm

You should never go for AC for combat Big. It's notorious easy. It's a game about feeling empowered and being an unstoppable warrior when it comes to combat.

Perhaps if they add an option to remove the first five hours of content I'll play it. Because it looks like a fun world to explore.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    Deathsitexxi wrote:

I figured that I hadn't really gotten to the meat of the game yet, so I am willing to put more time into it.

What is really bothering me is the horrible firearms controls. You have to highlight an enemy by generally pointing the camera in his direction and then you just press y and he magically dies. You dont actually aim at all. Your character just raises the gun for a split second and blam! bad guy is dead.

Then the melee fighting is just smashing x over and over and then holding b when an enemy has an icon appear above his head. So if you can press be when you see a red triangle, you are essentially invunerable. I got bored after a few minutes in Boston because I skipped a cutscene and didn't know what the hell I was supposed to be doing, so I started killing some redcoats. I just started playing the game and I ended up killing almost every limey in town, but it wasn't any fun!

The combat has always been a weaker portion of the series and yes the auto aim thing the put into this one is quite annoying... The game picks who you will fight basically lol. But even that isn't the meat of the game. Stalking the rooftops/treetops is where it's at, those hidden kills are where you will feel you have the most control. This game defiantly shows the blemishes of the series but there is some great times to be had once you open it up =). Either way I hope your experience with it gets better, I've been a huge fan since the first game and love MGS, but even I was annoyed with the 5 hour long intro.... lol
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:40 pm

I'll let you know how I feel after I finish it, or if I can't. The main reason I bought it was because I thought a realistic portrayal of colonial america might be cool.

The environment is definetly well done, no doubt about that. I hope later I get to explore the wilderness and cause some mayhem with a tomahawk. If I can do that I will at least not be totally regretful of the fifty bucks.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I'll let you know how I feel after I finish it, or if I can't. The main reason I bought it was because I thought a realistic portrayal of colonial america might be cool.

The environment is definetly well done, no doubt about that. I hope later I get to explore the wilderness and cause some mayhem with a tomahawk. If I can do that I will at least not be totally regretful of the fifty bucks.

You will get your moneys worth if that's what you're looking for =) Air assassinate some rabbits and the pain from the 5 hr intro starts to fade lol
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 pm

AC is not a game you should go for if you want historical accuracy...I'd say no game is really.

It is a very good looking game though and the environments I feel are really well done.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Tolvo wrote:AC is not a game you should go for if you want historical accuracy...I'd say no game is really.

It is a very good looking game though and the environments I feel are really well done.

That's very true Tolvo.. and did you see this? I loled http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/03/assassins-creed-iii-dlc-george-washington-is-king
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:49 pm

How would he even become a King? George was a great speaker and all but I assume someone else will be leading his men into battle because George isn't so great and...My brain is broken.

This is "Let's have Starkiller kill off Luke and Obi-Wan Kenobi in our DLC!" all over again.

I know this is just a joke DLC, but still. Considering how the Knight Templar and Assassin are enemy in the series, they really shouldn't be saying "This one is too crazy to have happen."

I need to go lay down.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Tolvo wrote:How would he even become a King? George was a great speaker and all but I assume someone else will be leading his men into battle because George isn't so great and...My brain is broken.

This is "Let's have Starkiller kill off Luke and Obi-Wan Kenobi in our DLC!" all over again.

I know this is just a joke DLC, but still. Considering how the Knight Templar and Assassin are enemy in the series, they really shouldn't be saying "This one is too crazy to have happen."

I need to go lay down.

lol I totally hear you there. Back in the day they did ask him to be king before they asked him to become President and he refused saying something to the effect of "I won't allow you to trade one King George for the next". It wasn't until maybe 4-5 months ago that I learned that George Washington even refused to be paid to be the President, makes him even more badass in my eyes.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:55 pm

You know what I just realized? Big hasn't played the other games. Can you imagine how insane the plot would seem to him?
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Yeah, it's pretty out there.

I knew that they weren't straightforward and had some kind of sci-fi DNA Michael Crichton type twist, which I would be totally down for if it was intelligent. Instead it is some kind of super-race that precedes us knows the secrets of the end of the earth and some lame-o has to jump into his ancestors memories to solve the puzzle. It's just to farfetched for me to appreciate.

It's getting worse now, I had to take a break. The story has now introduced the mysterious Native American girl, who aside from having tan skin looks like an Italian chick, or at least distinctively white. She is also voiced awfully. It seems like they just grabbed a random girl from the studio and said, "You're going to voice a Native American from the 1700's," and didn't do any kind of cultural research. She talks like a modern white college girl would. It totally pulls me out of the story, not that I was really in in the first place. You can tell sometimes she tries to talk in the curt, direct way native americans do, but then she'll go and say a phrase that has only existed in the past decade.

Then I was breaking into a camp, though I'm not sure why, and all of a sudden I have failed the mission because I got out of eavesdropping range. I didn't know I was supposed to be eavesdropping!

So far the majority of the gameplay has been walking from one cutscene to the next, and I kid you not, most of the time the walking session last about one minute long. It's just a facade of gameplay from cutscene to the next. This is ridiculous! It's like watching a bad movie but you get to make the character walk from scene to scene.

There is one part where you are riding a stagecoach and your boys are patrolling along with you. Every once in awhile redcoats appear, and when they do it flashes LB on the screen. You press it and your boys kill them. Thats it. Thats the gameplay. On to another cutscene. This is so frustrating!

I haven't made one decision, I haven't made any action under my own initiative. I don't know who I am, what my goals are, or where I am going. I am just following green blips, pressing contexual buttons, and trying not to hate these awful characters.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Furthermore, one the box it shows a native american guy with a tomahawk and says you play a native american assassin. So far I am still a square jawed limey with a **** demeanor, who despite having the appearance of being 6 feet tall and weighing 200lbs, can scramble up snow covered buildings like a gecko.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:13 pm

I'll say this much Big. There is literally a part where someone will say, "Meet me by the hill near here." You get control of your character. And the hill is right next to where you were. WHY WASN'T IT JUST IN THE CUTSCENE! You take two steps, next cut scene. Literally. You don't have to walk across a small town or ride a horse a bit. You start next to a giant green blip which is the place that starts the next cut scene. It's not even going from scene to scene. That's just interupting the scene for no reason.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Yeah, I am just a little past that part! I was thinking of that when I made the last post. That was the shortest one, but most of the game so far has been the same deal.

It's such a shame that the biggest most expensive games out there are just so lame! All that money, all the people... Did not one person who played this in the demo's say, "This just isn't any good." I know I would have.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:25 pm

I think it could make for an entertaining film, but just technically speaking. It seems like a really bad game to me.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Really makes you appreciate DKS.....
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm

It really makes me appreciate a lot of things, Just Cause 2. Even Skyrim, while I have my qualms with Skyrim you do get to play it. AC3, looks like a movie less interactive than Heavy Rain.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Tolvo wrote:I think it could make for an entertaining film, but just technically speaking. It seems like a really bad game to me.

I guess it depends on what your threshhold for outrageous stories are. I'm not against fantasy or unrealism, hence I like DKS, but I can't stand a story set within the realm of reality and have it be so egregiously unrealistic.

I guess if the game had the air of a B-movie style to it, and it didn't take itself seriously at all, the action and plot might seem kind of funny and entertaining.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm

I put a lot of time into Skyrim and thought that I really enjoyed it. Once I picked up DKS, though, I can't go back. I tried one time, but I just couldn't like it anymore.

The only game I have enjoyed since DKS is Borderlands 2. I beat it twice but then put it away, not wanting to get sucked into the never ending search for loot. BL2 is downright fun to play and is pure game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 am