Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Serious_Much
BartholomewWenceslas
Knight Alundil
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
dancash1808
The Wandering Knight
aceluby
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
PlasticandRage
Servant of Priscilla
Onion Knight
skarekrow13
RANT
Elite Knight
19 posters

Final Fantasy

Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Final Fantasy Empty Final Fantasy

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:54 am

This is a game series I'm rather passionate about (can't say I'm passionate about the Souls series because I have yet to play Demon's Souls).

My favorite, even though it isn't the most liked by the general populace, is XII. There was just something about it: Ivalice looked so gorgeous, and the license system allowed for some real customization. The combat system was just amazing to me as well. It was just all-around a great game.

My least favorite would have to be XIII. At first, I was kind of into it. It was new, it was Final Fantasy. But the further I got into it, the less I enjoyed it. Then I got stuck near the end, unable to get past this incredibly powerful mini-boss because I hadn't grinded for ages, and I had no desire to replay it. The combat system was pretty pissy too, so that I didn't like.

Anyone else out there an FF nut?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Final Fantasy Empty Re: Final Fantasy

Post by RANT Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 am

i liked xii a lot,basch shouldve been the main character though, those damn annoying kids kinda ruine the game, the gameplay made up for it and damn fighting Yiazmat was epic. the ones i didnt like were viii, the story was good but the gameplay sucked(specially the magic system) and i dont know why everyone loves x so much, i though it was meh and wtf was up woth those sequels? who thought that was a good idea? xii didnt even feeel like a ff game, it was....meh. my favourite has to be ix, i think it was perfect, i loved how they went with the old classic feel of it plus it had an amazing story and gamplay too.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 am

I am. I really liked XII too. I was also a huge fan of Vagrant Story which had a lot of the same team (art work, etc.). XIII was terrible and I've had no desire to play XIII-2

Eight might by my favorite but I also really enjoyed Nine. For pure character and story line (gameplay is too repetitive to be great), my favorite is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on the PSP. I've never been huge on Cloud Strife since the entire game ends up telling you he just copied some other guy. And he seems a little moody and whiny for me to really love the character.

Zack Fair is a lot more fleshed out. There's character progression throughout the game. The love story is more believable. All in all, even though I knew the outcome for him....I was still sad
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am

Bosch was my favorite as well. How he was introduced (to Vaan, anyway) was very awesome to me. Also, IV is one of the most amazing titles I've had the pleasure of playing. I'm currently playing the first (part of the Dawn of Souls release), and it has been satisfying, although a lot like Dark Souls in terms of not having a clear direction to follow all the time. I'm also playing Tactics Advance, which is a lot better than I expected, but not as good as the PlayStation original.

VII Isn't the best to me. Everyone in that one, other than Barret, are kinda whiny or just....ugh. I did enjoy VIII, although I'm sure I didn't even get halfway through it (I played it on my friend's PS3, then he sold it. D:)

EDIT: I wish I could find a PS2 emulator so I can play XII again...
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:22 am

i still have have my ps2 AND my very first ps1 which im really surprised it still works, i pop in ff9 every once in a while to play some tetra master.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am

You lucky Soul you.

I found a GBA, NES, and SNES emulator, as well as one for the N64 to play Hexen on. I just wish I could find a decent PS2 emulator. I'm really craving some XII now. :b
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 am

it should be released on the ps2 sectio of the ps store soon. i think.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am

I have a 360. :/
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:53 am

ohhhhh......i guess keep looking for a good ps2 emulator then. you could always get a ps3.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 pm

I haven't the money or a job in which to acquire money. I shall continue my quest of plunder, I suppose.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:08 pm

I love (and have) all the games in the series. If I had to choose it would have to be IV , VI, VII and IX for my favourites. Final Fantasy Cactaur1
    Spoiler:
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Even XIII and XIV?

I didn't like the former, and the latter I've heard many awful things about...
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Eh XIII was ok , I just regard XIII and XIII-2 as the same game, XIII-2 was a huge improvement. XIV is good now that they've fixed it. They're relaunching it again , so wait and see what it's like in the new year , when the newer reviews are coming in.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 pm

I've wanted to play XIV. It drew me in with the teaser trailers. The idea of really questing got me invested. Of course, I'll need to find myself a job once they re-launch it, so I can buy and keep up my membership.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQb_t5zkfoY&feature=g-all-u
    Here is what the relaunch is looking like. (alpha footage)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUsz_GWxA0&list=EL85uhWAEzMzE&index=9&feature=plpp_video
    This is a very good let's play series which got me into the original version.
    Servant of Priscilla
    Servant of Priscilla
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Servant of Priscilla Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:For pure character and story line (gameplay is too repetitive to be great), my favorite is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on the PSP. I've never been huge on Cloud Strife since the entire game ends up telling you he just copied some other guy. And he seems a little moody and whiny for me to really love the character.

Zack Fair is a lot more fleshed out. There's character progression throughout the game. The love story is more believable. All in all, even though I knew the outcome for him....I was still sad
    Agreed that Cloud was a bit whiny, also I loved crisis core. I played it many times. I still cry every time when I see him leave for the last time and aerith is all alone 😢. My favorite was VII, although X and X-2 are in close seconds for me. Also onion Knight I'm stealing your cloud and Auron mini-gifs. :p
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Add my name to that list. I loved 12, and absolutely hated 13. I spent $50 a couple weeks after it came out, played it for about 2 weeks, then traded it straight up for a $15 used copy of Oblivion. Don't regret that trade at all. So much of what I love about the series was absent from 13. At least as far as I got into it. I kept waiting for it to get better and it just didn't seem like it was happening. Usually what impresses me so much about them is how huge and immersing the worlds are. Spira for example was like a living world. Had it's own religion that had so much depth, characters that felt like they were really living in that world, landmarks like Mount Gagazet that were really meant to feel like these great sacred foreboding places. 12 had that too. The world felt really alive. I really loved finding/fighting all the zodiac demons from FFTactics too. So many fun, impossibly difficult optional bosses. I love that stuff. 13 didn't seem to have any of it.

I think if I had to name a favorite though it would be 3/6, because it's the one I started with. Also one of the first games that really got me into RPG's, along with Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. Those games will always hold a special place for me. I totally still replay all of them every couple of years too. In fact I'm due.

Actually FFTactics is right up there for me too. I've probably played that one from beginning to end more than any other one. I've actually been considering buying a used Psp recently just to play the new version with the new jobs and special characters. That along with Valkyria Chronicles 2. Though I haven't decided whether or not I'm actually going to do it yet.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Servant of Priscilla wrote:
    skarekrow13 wrote:For pure character and story line (gameplay is too repetitive to be great), my favorite is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on the PSP. I've never been huge on Cloud Strife since the entire game ends up telling you he just copied some other guy. And he seems a little moody and whiny for me to really love the character.

Agreed that Cloud was a bit whiny, also I loved crisis core. I played it many times. I still cry every time when I see him leave for the last time and aerith is all alone 😢. My favorite was VII, although X and X-2 are in close seconds for me. Also onion Knight I'm stealing your cloud and Auron mini-gifs. :p
    Feel free haha! I have many more where they came from. silly
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm sold on the FFXIV re-launch. Looks like I need to find a job pretty soon. Haha.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm

I, VI, VII,VIII, IX, XII, these are my favorites, and ps3 has donwloadable versions of 8 and 9
    Servant of Priscilla
    Servant of Priscilla
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Servant of Priscilla Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Onion Knight wrote:

Sir do you happen to have Paine, Rikku, and Yuna from X-2?? I would love you forever big grin
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Onion Knight wrote:

Sir do you happen to have Paine, Rikku, and Yuna from X-2?? I would love you forever big grin
    Final Fantasy Yuna_1
    Final Fantasy Rikku_1
    Final Fantasy Paine_5
    I think the last one is Paine ... I haven't played X-2 in years. hahaha
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Elite Knight wrote:I'm sold on the FFXIV re-launch. Looks like I need to find a job pretty soon. Haha.
    Hope to see you there at launch! winking
    Servant of Priscilla
    Servant of Priscilla
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Servant of Priscilla Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Onion Knight wrote:
    Onion Knight wrote:

Final Fantasy Yuna_1
    Final Fantasy Rikku_1
    Final Fantasy Paine_5
    I think the last one is Paine ... I haven't played X-2 in years. hahaha
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Servant of Priscilla
    Servant of Priscilla
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Servant of Priscilla Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Alright I've calmed down now. But thanks a lot for the mini-gifs big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 10:53 pm