Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Uparkaam
Onion Knight
Spurgun
Serious_Much
8 posters

Review my review of Okami

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Review my review of Okami Empty Review my review of Okami

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:03 pm

As I promised you guys, my review of Okami HD. Please tell me what you think and give me some advice on what to cut down. Tell me what you think guys happy

Inspiring, beautiful and peerless. Capcom's innovative rerelease breaks the mould of modern gaming.

In the modern world of gaming there's little that is ever unique. The popularity of samey games churned out each year worsens this enforcement of the 'typical' game in any genre, and knock offs aplenty always seem to make their way to the shelves. However Okami is something that can truly be called it's own, and while it will never reach the dizzying commercial heights of other games, it's innovative outlook is something that can and should be influential. Okami being rereleased was probably somewhat of a shock to most fans of the game. While being critically successful, it had disappointing sales of 600,000 for the PS2 and Wii versions, and remains the least commercially successful game to win a game of the year award. You could argue why bother? However, no matter the sales previously, it deserves releasing. It single handedly brings back the joys of the great action-adventure games of the 90s and every part oozes innovation and beauty.

You play as Amaterasu- the game's depiction of the sun goddess in the form of a white wolf, who has power over nature. This begins as a weaker power, having measly restoration and cutting abilities but the progression of your character goes on, absorbing other godly abilities from celestial gods inspired by the animals of the zodiac. Your character grows from weakling mutt to all-powerful god with control over tornadoes, fire, and pretty much everything in between. The way you develop is representative of your character's role, receiving experience from doing things that help nature. Restoring trees and areas to their natural state, defeating certain evil oni and even feeding animals. You are rewarded for restoring nature and this is central to the game’s concept.

The whole game itself is centered around this single idea and the method you use to have power over nature- the celestial brush. You draw symbols and bombs, fire and waterspouts all appear. This even extends into the combat where you can use the brush to sprout trees or even slow time to defeat your foes in addition to the weapons you use. Each enemy is different and has weaknesses you utilise to defeat them and the epic boss battles you encounter also follow a similar trend. The combat overall is well thought out, fast paced and falls in well with the games concept, though the transition of battles from real to the spiritual world- an enclosed space while causing dodging and use of the brush to become more important, it can also have a detrimental effect halt the flow of gameplay.

The nature concept does not merely stop there. The calligraphy inspired idea extends into the incredible art style of the game and takes on a cel-shaded cartoon style. The whole world looks like it's a masterpiece painted on canvas with detail and colour everywhere. On occasion you restore entire areas from darkness to their original beauty, and the transformation is one of the visual highlights of the game, the spreading natural power really draws the player in and makes you appreciate the graphical design all the more as you run around the open world eradicating darkness and helping the population of the land. The HD remastering is incredible to behold and even looks better than any number of mediocre high budget games released each year.

The story is well thought out and the characters are well created, though the sidekick Issun, much like the infamous Navi from Ocarina of Time can move from helpful friend and comic relief into annoyance rapidly. Other characters also have interesting stories and interactions with the protagonist and create a flushed out world. The sound is also a great touch with all the effects of flame and rushing water mixed in with a Japanese influenced music backing that builds up the immersing experience and fits with the relaxed travel of the world to the dramatic cutscenes, though admittedly the music is the most westernised aspect of the game and perhaps allowing the japanese aspect to have an even greater effect would improve the sound.

Overall, this game in stark contrast to its commercial record is completely unmissable. Every aspect of the game fits together like the puzzles you encounter throughout and builds what is a stunning and inspiring work. It's genuinely a great shame that so many will miss out on this because it's so different and relatively unknown. The worst criticism I can level at it other than tedious nitpicking is the sad fact I don't get a disc. Go on PSN and buy Okami right now, it'll be among the best 16 pounds you'll ever spend.

Last edited by Serious_Much on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 8 times in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Review my review of Okami Empty Re: Review my review of Okami

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Oh and the tagline is gonna be- Inspiring, Beautiful and peerless. Capcom's innovative rerelease that breaks the mould of modern gaming.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm

...guess noones bothered huh? least i got the off topic upvote of approval silly

I need tolvo on here, he would definitely not be afraid to be ruthless with it..

I'll stop talking to myself now and just be honest- bump
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Never played the game, don't know anything about reviews.

I don't think you want me to review you silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 pm

YAYY A FRIEND big grin

i guess i just wanna know if it's interesting, you don't have to get all technical on me, i don't like being too technical either silly
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Well one comment I can make is that I for one am thankful you didn't drag out endless comparisons to other games, boy oh boy do 'gaming journalists' love doing this no matter what genre to create fan conflict and hence increased views and advertisement revenue to their sites.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:07 pm

To be fair I don't think there's too many like it, though I could have said its like zelda.. except you play as a wolf.. but yeah i guess i didn't really like the way that sounded.

I'm slowly editing it as i go along. It's down to 847 but I honestly had run out of things i feel i can cut down on :x

I feel like I maybe skipped over the story a bit, but I think really that it's more important to advertise what makes the game interesting and different like the celestial brush and the arty world. do you guys agree?
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Hence the 'drag out'. It was analytical comparison to a similar mechanic in another game, which is what is needed in a game review. It gives the reader a point of reference.
    What I meant was : http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/09/24/top-five-reasons-dark-souls-will-eat-skyrims-face
    This is one of their senior reviewers apparently, when they can't get the monkey and the typewriter in.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Oh yeah fair enough, and i've read that article.. I kinda agree and makes me laugh.. though i suppose their point on the DLC is moot now, even though it's creation was fan caused.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:35 pm

I wanna get this uploaded tonight, so would really appreciate your feed back sooner rather than later silly
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:07 pm

I don't know anything about the game nor reviews, so I can't really review this...

But I guess this is okay. Not bad.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:22 pm

I bought the ps3 HD version of it ever since you, Serious, mentioned that it was out on PSN.

I played the Wii version many times before. I even 100 percented it.

Thanks Serious for letting me know that this game came out when it did. I would've never known.

Personally I like the ps3 version better than the Wii version. It's much smoother.

I also 100 percented Okami HD already.

Great wonderful amazing game!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Probably don't need the slam on CoD. Could immediately alienate a large chunk of your potential audience and make it less likely they would read the information on Okami. Can make your point without singling out any particular game. Otherwise good job
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I think it's concise and well framed. Very to the point. I agree with Skare's advice to not single out CoD.

Also this sentence tripped me up:

is something i think can sometimes feel like it's hurting the flow of
    gameplay, but adds the extra dimension of fighting in limited space,
    making dodging and use of brush techniques all the more valuable.

It is very ambiguous and on the fence. I would say reduce some of the words to make that sentence more decisive. It's mostly that first part, beginning with is and ending with gameplay.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:31 pm

True, I just like putting in the odd slamming line, but I could change that to a more general phrase.

Thanks E, didn't realise before and yeah that makes no sense at all, ill give that a look over happy
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm

I was also going to suggest removing the CoD-slamming! Not only because it might put off a large chunk of your readership right off the bat, but also because it's entirely subjective, and the topic of an entirely different discussion.

My main criticism is that I find the way you structured your review isn't very intuitive. Maybe it's just me, but as I was reading it I couldn't immediately discern a clear idea from each paragraph. As a result, I didn't really retain any of the information you presented. I know it might be more boring, or creatively stifling, but if you wrote it more generically, it might be for the best in the end. Say, have a paragraph for visuals (graphics, art style, presentation), one for gameplay, one for story, one for audio, etc. Then you could save yourself a paragraph for overall impression, pros and cons, and the conclusion to wrap it up. Could take away some of your flow as you're writing it, but could be equally beneficial to your readers--so better for you, in the end!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 pm

The thing is though blaine, yeah it would help the readers perhaps get a better idea of the game, though i think what i've done is pretty clear already, but the most important thing is i don't wanna make it boring because of who i'm writing it for.

The people i'm writing for ain't like you guys, they're casual gamers who just buy the big releases at most. Hell they will probably take one look at the the game and dismiss it as 'too geeky' as a couple of my mates at uni have. I have to make the review interesting, otherwise people won't read it, and won't buy the game. I get where you're coming from, but i think the flowing as oppose to regimented style i've done it in is probably better.

Thanks for the input though, it's something i'll definitely try out when doing a review that i wish to be more technical and analytic.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:12 pm

You know your audience better than I do. As long as you're writing it for them, it's good.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 pm

thanks everyone for the feedback, made changes according to what you all said and i've just submitted it after glossing it up with some pictures and a video. Hopefully will get a quick ok and publish happy
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Send royalties this way please. Paypal is fine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 3:39 pm