Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Saturday-Saint
Ghadis_God
Vorcan
7 posters

Question about pvp

Vorcan
    Casual
    Casual

Question about pvp Empty Question about pvp

Post by Vorcan Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:49 am

Hello

I've done some pvp, but lately I've been noticing something odd.
    Just now I was summoned to someone else's world, this person got invaded and I tried to protect him.

I was doing more damage than my master, when hitting the invader it slowly drained his life, he was a lot stronger than me.
    But then after I die, I see my master backstab the guy for 600 damage, which nearly killed him.

Now, I KNOW I was capable of doing that damage, heck I was almost hitting 200 a hit, but when I was hitting the guy. His HP went down so freaking slow.

What is going on here? Am I missing some really important aspect of pvp? I am genuinely confused as to why I feel so weak sometimes when I should be able to deal with what's in front of me.
    This has happened a few times before, and it's really starting to annoy me somehow =.=

If anyone could shed some light on this, thank you very much!

~Vorcan~
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Question about pvp Empty Re: Question about pvp

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:16 am

You shouldn't always trust the enemy life bar, it can be a bit deceptive. If you want more damage, upgrade your weapons as far as they can go, and if they scale with a stat, level up and increase that stat.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:19 am

His BS probably almost killed him because his health had been whittled down from fighting up until that point.
    Vorcan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Vorcan Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:25 am

That's a bit of an issue, it would be fine if there was no hp bar to speak of. But now it's just false information D:
    Guess it's like lag or something?
    btw, he healed before the backstab. My master could use a backstab because the invader was using a humanity at the time.

P.S: *** backstab seekers! seriously, effing annoying as..
    Vorcan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Vorcan Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 am

Another funny thing, how does one backstab me in the front? >.>
    Somehow, I got back-stabbed and kicked away, towards where my back WAS.
    That means he HAD to have attacked me from my front otherwise I wouldn't be kicked directly to where I was coming from.

Backstabbing really ruins the game for me...It's fun and all, playing dark souls. But backstabbing is becoming ridiculous to the point where it's a viable method of attack. Instead of something to be used when appropriate. Aka: When your opponent shows his back to you.

Laggy gameplay at times, combined with people who horribly abuse backstabbing makes dark souls more of a vein popper than the hardcore gameplay it's known for does.

~Vorcan~
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 am

Always keep in mind that lag is a constant issue in pvp of any kind. If you're backstabbed then that means they got you on their screen, no matter where you go. It's also the exact same for anyone you backstab, no matter how clear it looks to your screen.

So you need to plan your moves and watch theirs carefully so you don't get an extra breathing hole.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:15 am

Here you go. These should explain most things about backstabs to you.

Vorcan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Vorcan Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 am

Thanks for the information, I can use some of this.
    For those videos I have one slight problem.
    My character isn't designed to be fast and nimble...
    And I actually don't want my character to be rolling or flipping around all fast like because I am a shield wall type character. I like the role playing aspect and I'd like the chance to stick with that. In which case, most of these things shown in the video are a death sentence for me to do.

The only times I managed to survive rolling was when the opponent chose to back down a bit in order to time another assault. Any other time I got backstabbed.
    Also, since I am using large shields, I can't use parry.

~Vorcan~

P.S: Anyone up for helping me practice fighting against backstab seeking?
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 am

If you don't want, or can't do the stuff in the video, it will at least show you how others do it, so you can fight against it.

Your best option at fighting backstab fishers is to back away from them and when they circle you for a backstab, do a few steps back and circle them in same direction, resulting in you, getting behind their back and backstabbing them instead. It will work on most guys you meet.
    XDHappyDX
    XDHappyDX

Post by XDHappyDX Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 am

alternitevely you could back up against a tree or wall. If you have high poise and defence then you will easily tank them out.

Poise-A mechanic of the game wich dictates when an enemy attack makes you stagger.
    Factors include- Enemys weapon, your armor.
    There are two ways to increase poise heavier armor and wolf ring
    Your weapon also contributes to a phenomenon called hyper armor for more information contact a vet.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:56 am

XDHappyDX wrote:alternitevely you could back up against a tree or wall. If you have high poise and defence then you will easily tank them out.

Poise-A mechanic of the game wich dictates when an enemy attack makes you stagger.
    Factors include- Enemys weapon, your armor.
    There are two ways to increase poise heavier armor and wolf ring
    Your weapon also contributes to a phenomenon called hyper armor for more information contact a vet.
    I remember one guy in full Giant's backing into a corner in Burg and chugging one DB afer another (yes it was pre-patch), thinking he's invulnerable. He bled out like a pig to my Chaos Blade.

I'm trying to say, that backing to a wall, or a corner will prevent backstab, but will hinder your fighting options and you will be easier to defeat using non-backstab methods. Not to mention it's not always possible to get something behind you back.
    XDHappyDX
    XDHappyDX

Post by XDHappyDX Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 am

Meh better then people always complaining about Bs's emright? The options there but its not a flawless plan lol. Btw do you rekon a zwei would be any good being backed up in the corner? you could stun them pretty darn good if you knew what you were doing.
    kettpower
    kettpower
    Regular
    Regular

Post by kettpower Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 am

one reason our master was doing so much damage with the bs was because he probably used the hornet ring, which further boosts all critical damage.
    definitely check out the recommended vids, they can give you a lot of insight into the game mechanics. there are a lot of useful pvp vids on you tube, i also suggest to check out jblackmels channel.
    if you are using a heavy shield and a slow moving char, i would suggest that you try a spear with a very long reach, like the demon spear, dragon slayer spear, or pike. these weapons can be really annoying to fight against. i don't encourage "turtling", but it may be a point to start from, until you get more experienced, self confident and used to the online game mechanics.
    don't worry if your not doing so well at pvp at the beginning - no one does... it's something completely different than pve and the lag can be a really annoying sometimes.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:46 am

XDHappyDX wrote:Meh better then people always complaining about Bs's emright? The options there but its not a flawless plan lol. Btw do you rekon a zwei would be any good being backed up in the corner? you could stun them pretty darn good if you knew what you were doing.
    Zwei is very easy to parry and to evade and punish.
    Also, you have to consider a scenario in which your opponent has a ranged attack, like spells for example.
    XDHappyDX
    XDHappyDX

Post by XDHappyDX Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 am

Ahh yes in that case havels gear is a godsend but if by chance he comes a cross a skilled marksmen such as a certain person that likes to intimidate and humiliate with the bow then perhaps getting a light build would be wise. Also about the zwei being parried you have to take into account dead angles you cant parry thoughs lol ^_^ if he learns he will be formidable against most players.
    Vorcan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Vorcan Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm

kettpower wrote:one reason our master was doing so much damage with the bs was because he probably used the hornet ring, which further boosts all critical damage.
    definitely check out the recommended vids, they can give you a lot of insight into the game mechanics. there are a lot of useful pvp vids on you tube, i also suggest to check out jblackmels channel.
    if you are using a heavy shield and a slow moving char, i would suggest that you try a spear with a very long reach, like the demon spear, dragon slayer spear, or pike. these weapons can be really annoying to fight against. i don't encourage "turtling", but it may be a point to start from, until you get more experienced, self confident and used to the online game mechanics.
    don't worry if your not doing so well at pvp at the beginning - no one does... it's something completely different than pve and the lag can be a really annoying sometimes.

I don't turtle in the way of using that as my sole method of dealing with things. I use pretty much all my fighting capabilities,..
    If I get hit, I wan't it to be because I missed and created an opening for him to strike, not fishing or cheap tactics.

Also, it wouldn't matter what rings he had on, I could see how much damage he did, it was 6xx.
    Seeing the invader's HP bar drain down to almost nothing where as I did around 200 a hit and for some reason it only made little slivers of health go down.

~Vorcan~

Last edited by Vorcan on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Vorcan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Vorcan Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:08 pm

XDHappyDX wrote:Ahh yes in that case havels gear is a godsend but if by chance he comes a cross a skilled marksmen such as a certain person that likes to intimidate and humiliate with the bow then perhaps getting a light build would be wise. Also about the zwei being parried you have to take into account dead angles you cant parry thoughs lol ^_^ if he learns he will be formidable against most players.

I do not think you understand why I play dark souls...

My character is a heavyweight tank, within this "roleplay" my character also became a sunbro. I am not going to break this because of some silly douchebags who take the game either too seriously or have little respect for another human being. Btw, I am using full Havel armor, Black tower shield and Sword of arturias+5 right now.

~Vorcan~

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:34 am