Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
XachAttack
Seignar
Carphil
Cabjoy
Ghadis_God
User
Spurgun
PwnasauresRex
Back Lot Basher
13 posters

What exactly is a "Quality" build?

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What exactly is a "Quality" build? Empty What exactly is a "Quality" build?

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Is it just a build centered around the use of weapons that have mid-range scaling (C) for both strength and dex? Has anyone ever made one they liked?
    PwnasauresRex
    PwnasauresRex
    Addicted
    Addicted

What exactly is a "Quality" build? Empty Re: What exactly is a "Quality" build?

Post by PwnasauresRex Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:12 pm

a quality build uses weapons with both similar dex/str scaling.

i dont really like quality builds myself
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:15 pm

A quality build is a build that has high str and dex, 27/40, 28/40 and 40/40 are the most used ones.
    You don't have to use weapons that scale with both str and dex, since you can use most of the weapons in the game, but a quality build gets the most out of those weapons.

EDIT. And the term "quality" comes from DeS, where there was a upgrade path with that name that increased scaling in both str and dex.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 pm

There are very few weapons that are usually Dex/Str that goes higher than C. Most are C or D, sadly enough.

Usually upgrading those such as Straight Swords increase it to at least B when maxed... sometimes.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Two C's are generally worth more than one B scaling. Just compare the BSS's damage with base Str and 40 dex, and the SLSS at 40/40. It lets you use weapons that either have high requirements or balanced scaling, like the Claymore, Greatsword, Halberd, or Murakumo. It also makes weapons like Black Knight weapons shine, as well as Dex weapons that have mild Str scaling. Also, quality builds get a ton of versatility. You could have a heavy weapon in the first slot and a lighter one in the second without having to make one elemental. I'm a big fan of them because I love to play around with different weapon setups and options.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:Two C's are generally worth more than one B scaling. Just compare the BSS's damage with base Str and 40 dex, and the SLSS at 40/40. It lets you use weapons that either have high requirements or balanced scaling, like the Claymore, Greatsword, Halberd, or Murakumo. It also makes weapons like Black Knight weapons shine, as well as Dex weapons that have mild Str scaling. Also, quality builds get a ton of versatility. You could have a heavy weapon in the first slot and a lighter one in the second without having to make one elemental. I'm a big fan of them because I love to play around with different weapon setups and options.

+1

My most recent build is the first quality build I've ever made, and I absolutely love it. I'm the type who gets bored of being restricted to only a few weapons. This way, you can have a ton of weapon setups! I personally love having a backup Hand Axe +15 on the side, and this way you can use something quality scaling or dex scaling as a main weapon. Also my composite bow on my quality build has an AR of high 400's. It's absolutely amazing!
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Its perfect for the Roullete duels. Need any more reasons?
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Quality builds are any build that focuses on a mixture of Str and Dex, usually 27/40, in order to maximize weapon potential and versitality. The term quality comes from Demon Souls upgrade path that converted and distributed scaling among the Str and Dex stat.

Quality builds usually sacrifice Vit due to the points required to max the 2 stats, but they have the most consistent damage outputs, capable of utilizing any and all weapons to their max potential. Due to this, quality builds have a unique arsenal of bows and Curved Swords, in addition to the arsenals of Str and Dex builds, allowing for complete adaptability in any situation.

The quality build suffers from losses to either vit or end (depending on the build) and is the only build that has a difficult time incorporating magic as an asset. Nonetheless, the quality build is feared for its overall power and versatilkty, but mocked for its frailty.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Not exaclty a glass canon http://mmdks.com/ges

Edit: Improved version. One of my favorites builds http://mmdks.com/get
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Seignar wrote:Quality builds are any build that focuses on a mixture of Str and Dex, usually 27/40, in order to maximize weapon potential and versitality. The term quality comes from Demon Souls upgrade path that converted and distributed scaling among the Str and Dex stat.

Quality builds usually sacrifice Vit due to the points required to max the 2 stats, but they have the most consistent damage outputs, capable of utilizing any and all weapons to their max potential. Due to this, quality builds have a unique arsenal of bows and Curved Swords, in addition to the arsenals of Str and Dex builds, allowing for complete adaptability in any situation.

The quality build suffers from losses to either vit or end (depending on the build) and is the only build that has a difficult time incorporating magic as an asset. Nonetheless, the quality build is feared for its overall power and versatilkty, but mocked for its frailty.

This is an excellent way to describe quality builds, +1 for you dude \o/!
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:01 am

Huh, I went 32/32 for my Claymore, didn't realize I was making a Quality Build.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:15 am

Seignar wrote:

Depends on your SL Siegnar. I have a 125 Q build with 50 Vit and 40 End, as well as 40/40 Str/dex. It's one of the most solid, reliable builds I use in terms of survivability and stamina.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 am

Ghadis_God wrote:
    Seignar wrote:

Depends on your SL Siegnar. I have a 125 Q build with 50 Vit and 40 End, as well as 40/40 Str/dex. It's one of the most solid, reliable builds I use in terms of survivability and stamina.

I've got the same, but with 40 Vit and 50 End. Good times indeed.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 am

Quality builds are the perfect excuse for ranting about buffs lol. I myself have to sacrifice my buff when fighting one of these builds.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 pm

WyrmHero wrote:Quality builds are the perfect excuse for ranting about buffs lol. I myself have to sacrifice my buff when fighting one of these builds.

huh?
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 pm

This thread makes me miss boletaria. The upgrade system in that was way better, in my opinion.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 pm

passivefamiliar wrote:This thread makes me miss boletaria. The upgrade system in that was way better, in my opinion.

I was browsing the Xbox Dark Souls forum recently, and someone was complaining about how the upgrade system in Dark wasn't very clear. They should have played DeS....talk about cryptic. Remember how certain weapons had branching paths at odd numbers like +7, and if you went over, you kind of missed your chance to go that route? You could always strip the weapon, but nobody ever wanted to do that because some materials were so hard to find.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 am

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    passivefamiliar wrote:This thread makes me miss boletaria. The upgrade system in that was way better, in my opinion.

I was browsing the Xbox Dark Souls forum recently, and someone was complaining about how the upgrade system in Dark wasn't very clear. They should have played DeS....talk about cryptic. Remember how certain weapons had branching paths at odd numbers like +7, and if you went over, you kind of missed your chance to go that route? You could always strip the weapon, but nobody ever wanted to do that because some materials were so hard to find.

That, and there's only one meltsone in the entire game! Unless there's more that I haven't found o.O.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 am

You could always farm meltstones off flaming lizards. Their drop rate is somewhere equivalent to pure bladestone. Have fun!
    But continuing a bit off-topic, I really hated upgrade paths in Demon Souls. So costy, hard and a good amount were less than useful except for gimmicky invasions or hosting (Fatal Estoc + Hidden Soul; not many have experienced it, but oh boy, it's like fighting a ghost)

On topic, I do remember having a Q build with no drawbacks at SL120, but usually anywhere lower comes with a price. Even at SL120, many quality builds have difficult times adding in any high-level magic. So Q builds are the ultimate build optimized for melee in any situation, having arsenals going from spears to bows to axes to halberds to swords; most of the time having higher than average AR due to minor scalings like E.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 am

Seignar wrote:You could always farm meltstones off flaming lizards. Their drop rate is somewhere equivalent to pure bladestone. Have fun!

Lol, screw that XD. Interesting though, I never knew they dropped those o-o.

Quality builds are really fun, my main build is a quality. A pretty annoying part about it though..is finding all the materials to upgrade all of your weapons >_>.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:25 am