Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
RANT
oakshott
6 posters

beating parry timing: buckler, target shield etc.-----blocking -> parry against straight swords

oakshott

beating parry timing: buckler, target shield etc.-----blocking -> parry against straight swords Empty beating parry timing: buckler, target shield etc.-----blocking -> parry against straight swords

Post by oakshott Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 pm

im aware that straight swords cannot, or rarely, be parried from medium shields if the first strike lands on a shield that is blocking then immediatly parries. what i would like to know is it possible to does this with a parrying dagger animation, or target shield, buckler etc. without getting parried making it too risky to beat down on parry shields because of the longer parry window thnx happy

by the way couldn't think of a better topic title
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

beating parry timing: buckler, target shield etc.-----blocking -> parry against straight swords Empty Re: beating parry timing: buckler, target shield etc.-----blocking -> parry against straight swords

Post by RANT Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:56 pm

the best way to not get parried is to not spam r1, if you spam r1 you will either get parried or youre gonna run out of stamina and youre screwed when they attack you after you run out of stamina. you could also unlock and make sure to attack their sides instead of just straight on and never get too close because you will get parried even if youre unlocked.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

beating parry timing: buckler, target shield etc.-----blocking -> parry against straight swords Empty Re: beating parry timing: buckler, target shield etc.-----blocking -> parry against straight swords

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 pm

oakshott wrote:im aware that straight swords cannot, or rarely, be parried from medium shields if the first strike lands on a shield that is blocking then immediately parries

false.

Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:12 pm

RantFromRant wrote:the best way to not get parried is to not spam r1, if you spam r1 you will either get parried or youre gonna run out of stamina and youre screwed when they attack you after you run out of stamina. you could also unlock and make sure to attack their sides instead of just straight on and never get too close because you will get parried even if youre unlocked.

some times i like to spam R1 of my chaos blade into some one who wants to parry, and slightly delay the swings, with the bleed build up it freaks them out. because they only have so many swings they can take before dead.

i wont do this to you though, you are to pro.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Glute says you can apparently block the first hit and then parry, but I was not aware that was possible with straight swords. For all weapons smaller than greatswords and halberds I just take the first hit then parry. If you're trying to get setup parries to avoid damage however, you might be in luck according to Glute.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Therewas a yYouTube video disproving the myth that you can't set up parry small curved blades and those swing much faster then straight swords.

And I've set up the bss before the timing isn't as forgiving as great sword set ups though.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Glutebrah wrote:Therewas a yYouTube video disproving the myth that you can't set up parry small curved blades and those swing much faster then straight swords.

And I've set up the bss before the timing isn't as forgiving as great sword set ups though.

That might make me start using a shield. I'll definitely try it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah I forgot about delaying your next attack, even if they have a special parry they won't parry you since the parry window is not THAT big.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:34 pm

I could be wrong and many disagree with what I am going to say, but i don'thin there is a difference in when the parry window is between small and medium shields. I believe they parry a the same time, thesmall shields just recover faster .

I have never seen any testing to prove the heater shield parries faster then the grass shield. I swap between the shields and. Notice no difference. Between set up times
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I also only think it's the recovery time. It's really obvious when switching to the Dark Hand ot bare hand.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure he heater parries faster and recovers faster, from what I've sen all this time the pArry window is the same. Since I only use fast parry shields and whenever I switch to a reg parry shield I can't parry for t he life of me lol.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 pm

I expected to suck going to a heater shield. But seems the same to me. We should run tests with the fastest swinging weapons.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 pm

I know for sure you can parry them with. Reg shield since I've seen it a lot in the Forest but if you wanna see for yourself we can practice tonight.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:01 pm

I know my timing won't be the same every time but I just want to see if I get. More partials with a medium since it might be slower
    oakshott

Post by oakshott Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:27 pm

wow not one answer to my question. allow me to rephrase

if the 1st strike from a straight sword normal attack is blocked by a buckler or target shield then followed up with successive normal attacks can it be parried when the parry is made as soon as possible after the block and parry spammed afterwards untill it is succesfully parried or will it get away with it like on medium shields
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm

oakshott wrote:wow not one answer to my question. allow me to rephrase

if the 1st strike from a straight sword normal attack is blocked by a buckler or target shield then followed up with successive normal attacks can it be parried when the parry is made as soon as possible after the block and parry spammed afterwards untill it is succesfully parried or will it get away with it like on medium shields

I tried. I thought it was not possible, but it might be.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 pm

I've never had my katana or curved sword setup parried. I've pulled off a setup parry against a kat, but it was the third or fourth hit.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm

found the video, he parries the falchon 1 handed and 2 handed. now it isnt exactly a blocking parry set up, as he tanks the first hit, but he doesn't actually parry till after he was hit, there for you can easily do the block also.

Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Now that's not true glute, there is a delay that makes you flinch a tiny bit when blocking, that throws off the timing and makes it impossible to parry.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:Now that's not true glute, there is a delay that makes you flinch a tiny bit when blocking, that throws off the timing and makes it impossible to parry.

Rant is my witness i just parried Blocking set up parries of the Broadsword 2h R1 attack with my grass shield like 8x in a row.

however i am having trouble to land a parry on the 1 handed attack, with both the heater and grass shield.

but the 2handed attacks i can def set up parry the 2nd and 3rd swing, did them both multiple times.

EDIT: you are correct though about the delay i never noticed that before, so that explains why i never was able to set up parry a falchon. but as for straight swords, you can, at least the 2h R1s, Rant pulled off a parry on 1 handed swing once, but that was it.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Depends on the connection. If you can't do it with a medium shield, though, you sure as **** won't be able to do it with something that has lower stability.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:30 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:Depends on the connection. If you can't do it with a medium shield, though, you sure as **** won't be able to do it with something that has lower stability.

why would you not be able to do it with a shield with crappy stability? it doesnt matter, all you need is take one hit then parry.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:41 am

Because the lower your stability is, the higher your hitstun. Try doing set-up parries with a Dark Hand some time, you'll see what I mean.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 am

dark hand is different, anything pushes you back if yo block with it. i have set up parried a falchions with a east west shield in the forest.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 am

Then I am sure you could do it with any shield that has better stability.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:15 pm