Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+42
PlasticandRage
BeeSeaEss
NinesVoerman
DMC
Avenger649
Sloth9230
OrnsteinBro
TheMeInTeam
SlakeMoth
Sentiel
billy_bayonet
Ghadis_God
Glutebrah
BIG TIME MASTER
jankenneth_10
VinheimProfessor
defacto
Tomhet
Odinbear
reim0027
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Reaperfan
steveswede
Seignar
aceluby
Forum Pirate
MasterofShadows
Back Lot Basher
Rynn
Isirith
Emergence
Everynevers
Trym
Juutas
Nybbles
The Letter X
XachAttack
Jester's Tears
RANT
callipygias
Sciarry
Gazman0169
46 posters

So what do you think the number one thing wrecking Dark Souls is?

Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

So what do you think the number one thing wrecking Dark Souls is? - Page 5 Empty Re: So what do you think the number one thing wrecking Dark Souls is?

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Its not a fear of change, its not fixing what isn't broke. Tweak something to much hunting for perfection and you ruin it. Crafting 101 (carpentry in this case) It can usually be fixed, but that costs time and money

Yes but just because something isn't broken doesn't mean there's no room for improvements. And that's not accounting for stagnation.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

So what do you think the number one thing wrecking Dark Souls is? - Page 5 Empty Re: So what do you think the number one thing wrecking Dark Souls is?

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:46 pm

As I said, its not a fear of change. Change is necessary, but unnecessary changes often end very badly. Its not unreasonable to want to see a series avoid the mistakes of its fellows or the changing of a feature one likes as is.

Overcaution is just as bad, I was just explaining that too much change is just as bad as not enough.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:51 pm

And that's reasonable. Hell, I was pissed off when I first saw what they did with the next DMC game. However, I'm referring to all the recent threads that have been created where people go on and on about how the series is ruined, or how the sequel will suck and all they have to go on is one cutscene trailer and an interview. There's already people talking about petitions and such.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 am

As exceedingly good as Dark Souls is, no game's perfect or above some constructive criticism.

I think the lag is unfortunate. Learning to compensate for it is fine but reducing/eliminating it would be better. No easy solution though, granted.

I think backstabs are a bit too easy to pull off. Too much focus on backstabs in general for my liking.

I'd prefer is poise was related to your strength stat and perhaps also the weight of your weapon rather than armour. It would just make more sense to me that way. Armour should have a weight and stamina penalty (as it does) but medium to heavy armour should be even more effective to make them still viable despite the irrelevance to poise.

Before people jump on me - it's just an idea and I fully appreciate the balance of the game is far more important than notions such as these.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 am

Wow, I go away for a couple of days, and come back to find you've all helped to make this my most successful thread to date! :face:

I guess I'll have to p-off more often! lol

Seriously though, thanks to you all for your input. cheers
    NinesVoerman

Post by NinesVoerman Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Near impossible invaders.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

A final word from me (unless someone comes along after and posts something so outlandish that it has to be responed to big grin )...

I personally do not think that anything has 'wrecked' Dark Souls, and as I explained earlier was simply using the word to mirror a recent rise in Threads complaining about one thing or the other, where the term was seemingly being used over and over again.

I do however believe that constant moaning about one thing or the other has lead to a whole wealth of unneccessary changes being made, either as a result of the Game Developer or the Game Publisher monitoring forums such as our (unlikely, but in my mind still plausible), or having being petitioned to do so by a highly vocal section of the games playing public (the most likely explaination). Now it could be that I am totally wrong in all this, and that the reality of the situation was that these changes were made without any outside influence whatsoever, but given that most if not all of the more prominant changes would appear to have come on the back of month after month of almost constant complaining on forums such as this one I find it too much of a coincidence for my liking. If I am right in all this (which doesn't happen very often I grant you big grin ) then the next casualty will undoubtedly be Dark magic, which for me will be a great shame, as despite what many have said and hinted towards here it is by no stretch of the imagination insurmountable, and perhaps more worryingly this could lead to the flood gates being opened whereby other 'supposedly' over-powered elements in the game are nerfed, or God forebid we see the situation where the upcoming Dark Souls 2 is so badly dumbed down that it barely resembles a Souls game all together.

I absolutely love Dark Souls, as I absolutely loved Demon's Souls before, and so I (like many others no doubt) have extremely high hopes for Dark Souls 2. If it continues in the vein of it's two illustrious predecessors then I know that it will be a great game, but I hope to God that the 'Powers that be' realise that when it comes to post-release patching less is undoubtedly more.
    NinesVoerman

Post by NinesVoerman Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm

I don't think anything ruins it but it isn't fair when someone who can one hit me invades my game.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Why? I would argue that if they did so without glitching or modding then it was fair, and that in that moment they were simply better than you.

(Wow that didn't take long! :roll: )
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:30 pm

NinesVoerman wrote:I don't think anything ruins it but it isn't fair when someone who can one hit me invades my game.
    If you're at max level, I could kill you in one hit with a sl 80. Thats not really a logical point.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Pretty sure Nines is referring to low lvl op invaders. Obviously we all agree it isn't fair, but it is a fact of Dark Souls that isn't changing. If you go human with a new character in the Burg or Parish, summon phantoms asap.
    NinesVoerman

Post by NinesVoerman Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Im talking from the perspective of a very low level player. When someone has extremely powerful gear and they kill me with one hit. It isn't fair.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Again, why? If they've become OP without glitching or modding then fairness shouldn't come into it, as it's a part of the games dynamic as there is nothing in place to stop them. Furthermore, I would argue that they have earned the right to low-level invade as hard as they can, as being low-level they would of had to have possessed some skill to play the game through to the end to begin with, and so they should be free to use whatever equipment they have as they see fit.

Fairness in a Souls game I never thought I would see the day! lol
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:56 pm

i am making a griefer(shame on me) who is going to be level 10, 16 str and 10 dex, black knight shield, lightning claymore and full giants, come at me bro, but I WILL become a darkwraith, so I have to beat the four kings T_T good luck too me, that is one of the hardest part, beating the four kings to become a griefer because you are only like lvl 10-30! So if you beat the four kings and s*** and get all those equips, by all means go ahead and grief me, i love the challenge of killing someone in full smoughs!
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Gazman0169 wrote:Again, why? If they've become OP without glitching or modding then fairness shouldn't come into it, as it's a part of the games dynamic as there is nothing in place to stop them. Furthermore, I would argue that they have earned the right to low-level invade as hard as they can, as being low-level they would of had to have possessed some skill to play the game through to the end to begin with, and so they should be free to use whatever equipment they have as they see fit.

It's not so much that that it's unfair, it's that they're doing it just to be d!cks.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:
    Gazman0169 wrote:Again, why? If they've become OP without glitching or modding then fairness shouldn't come into it, as it's a part of the games dynamic as there is nothing in place to stop them. Furthermore, I would argue that they have earned the right to low-level invade as hard as they can, as being low-level they would of had to have possessed some skill to play the game through to the end to begin with, and so they should be free to use whatever equipment they have as they see fit.

It's not so much that that it's unfair, it's that they're doing it just to be d!cks.

It ain't easy bein a Darkwraith.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:05 pm

NinesVoerman wrote:Im talking from the perspective of a very low level player. When someone has extremely powerful gear and they kill me with one hit. It isn't fair.
    Sounds like you're playing at a level you're not yet ready for then. Raise your hp.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:

I disagree, if they've got to where they are without glitching or modding then they are in fact showing the true spirit of the game, whereby being an Invader they are supposed to prey on the weak, be totally ruthless, and show no mercy. We may not like it, but that's the way it is. twisted
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Pack animals, like wolves, living in the wild hunt the weak prey, and they kill the weak members of their own pack to ensure their survival.

In nature and in DKS, it pays to be a winner! At least in this case it is only a game, now stop whining!
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:18 pm

BeeSeaEss wrote:i am making a griefer(shame on me) who is going to be level 10, 16 str and 10 dex, black knight shield, lightning claymore and full giants, come at me bro, but I WILL become a darkwraith, so I have to beat the four kings T_T good luck too me, that is one of the hardest part, beating the four kings to become a griefer because you are only like lvl 10-30! So if you beat the four kings and s*** and get all those equips, by all means go ahead and grief me, i love the challenge of killing someone in full smoughs!
    Nothing wrong with low-lvl invading, but if you're gonna do it in the Burg or Parish that's where it gets pathetic. The only chance a host could possibly have is to get an op phantom. Griefing the Burg is little different from hacking infinite health; you'll never lose, even though many of the players may be better than you.

And btw, beating the 4 Kings in NG at a low lvl doesn't mean jack. 9 out of 10 Burg griefers spam Great Combustion, and the Kings are cake with GC. Even without pyro they're easy in NG for experienced players.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Gazman0169 wrote:
    Sloth9230 wrote:

I disagree, if they've got to where they are without glitching or modding then they are in fact showing the true spirit of the game, whereby being an Invader they are supposed to prey on the weak, be totally ruthless, and show no mercy. We may not like it, but that's the way it is. twisted

No they're ruining other peoples experience because they have nothing better to do, they could just as easily play against someone their one skill level. There is such a thing as taking the role playing thing too far.

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Who are you to presume the motives of others?
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 pm

You're going to tell me I'm wrong?

Fine then tell me, what motive they could have for griefing? Go on, I'd love to hear it.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Before this gets out of hand, are you all talking about the same thing: Burg griefing? I find it hard to believe anyone would defend that.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:42 pm

callipygias wrote:Before this gets out of hand, are you all talking about the same thing: Burg griefing? I find it hard to believe anyone would defend that.

I am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:39 pm