Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
ComaPrison
Slarg232
Wintercatalyst
ViralEnsign_
hageshisa
Juutas
tofucactaur
Seignar
MasterofShadows
DemonOfFate
Forum Pirate
LunarFog
Argetlam350
17 posters

Meaning Behind Accessibility

Wintercatalyst
    Wintercatalyst

Meaning Behind Accessibility - Page 2 Empty Re: Meaning Behind Accessibility

Post by Wintercatalyst Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:55 pm

I personally think it is better that they want to show further game mechanics like poise and such because I had played demon's souls first and assumed that pretty much the gameplay was the same and only found out about many added things via videos and the wiki. the tutorial only taught you the very basics of fighting, more the offensive side and magic if you picked a magic class. That would definitely improve the game while leaving challenge open, it will just provide more knowledge on how to overcome them. Of course veteran players will need not worry about this, but newcomers who might want to try the game will feel as if there are more options to play like as the game already shows them.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:10 pm

I came here to argue, but Forum Pirate has everything I wanted to say and more. Keep on keeping on, dude.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:10 am

Though this entire conversation essentialy moved to a different thread, I will reiterate for you winter.

The knowledge beyond the basic mechanics (which are explained) are not ment to be taught. Just as RE 4 teaches you how to fire, but not where to shoot, dks expects uou to figure it out. It doesn't care if you succeed. Thus the burden falls to the player. That is part of the Soul series experience I don't want to go away. It helps define the bleak and hostile tone of the game.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:12 am

For every single enemy and boss, the vulnerable part(s) should be glowing a ton so that casuals know where to hit without having to figure it out for themselves. Problem solved! Dark Souls 2 is going to be awesome with features like that!
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:08 am

We understand, Coma. I don't think the amount of sarcasm you have is really worth it; they aren't going to make it that bad.....
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:42 am

Slarg232 wrote:We understand, Coma. I don't think the amount of sarcasm you have is really worth it; they aren't going to make it that bad.....

I can't help it. I've been playing too much sarcastaball lately.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:51 am

I think its safe to say that the mechanics will be better explained in this game. Perhaps its time to move on from making an issue about it, and focus more on discussing good or bad ways to implement the system?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:06 am

To me half the initial difficulty of souls is not knowing what's going on. Having to figure everything out for yourself is a part of the game. I feel if things are explained too much the the game will be a bit simple really..

Though then again I'd they do that and then ramp up the difficulty of enemies and bosses I won't complain happy
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:14 am

I still have no problem with having game mechanics explained clearly, without me having to discover them. Personally, I think most of the gaming community would prefer actually working on discovering things like lore, secret items/passages, special weapons. The whole "hostile" thing is perfectly fine, as long as its the game that feels hostile to the player, and not the developers themselves.

But yeah, I hope they make the game harder, regardless.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:31 am

I think as long as the lore, secrets, and the like are not as "accessible" as game controls we should be fine.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:11 am

I think a great way to explain in game mechanics or even some lore could be like the way Mass Effect made use of the codex system, and if From put a Souls style twist to that system (dark and subtle, still somewhat cryptic) I think it would be perfect for DkSII. It's out of the way; not forced upon the player. You could go the whole game without even using it.
    Also, when I mentioned using it for lore I meant only for further explanation on what you discover in-game, so you dont have to use it, it would only be an option.
    What do you guys think?
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:27 am

Well I'm glad that they won't be making any drastic changes. Although I will agree with Forum Pirate on the understanding how to play after being introduced to the basics.

I'm somewhat sad with the idea that the covenant system should be easier to access. I'm a huge easter egg fan, so I love looking around hidden areas looking for things that are optional to pick up. So my first reaction to seeing Kaathe and joining the Darkmoons made me look like a 4 year old being introduced to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. It was hilarious. I'm just hoping I can still get that same thing but from something different in the game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:31 pm