Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Hydreigon11
RANT
Serious_Much
dancash1808
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Marino.
10 posters

Getting into Doctor Who

Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Getting into Doctor Who  - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting into Doctor Who

Post by Marino. Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 am

Pardon ?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 am

It's an American expression, means **** out of luck.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 am

I know it's on Netflix with subtitles, if you happen to have a subscription for that. And since you are just starting out, you are actually at the worst part of the reboot (in my opinion and those I know). The first few episodes have some points you have to just struggle through, but about halfway through the season I was pretty hooked. Just, whatever you do, don't blink.

As for the old stuff, I tried watching one of the movies and just couldn't stand it. I know the technological limits of the day were horrible compared to today, but they have such long "filler" clips at time with no music, and the dialogue seems almost monotone. It really lacks the "emotion" that the reboot dialogue contains.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 am

Serious_Much wrote:I was just glad at that point, i got really fed up of david tennant, he got really stale after the 2nd series with him and I just got bored of him. Matt Smith was what brought me back, and i'm glad I came back to it now its progressing as a show.

Too much confusion, I need a clear and simple answer silly

David Tennant looked very charismatic to me so was I thinking in watching that season... but I'm really confused, according to Wikipedia, Dr Who can regenerate itself when close to death, and they do that everytime they want to change protagonist, every new actor is in fact a new incarnation of the Doctor. But... I don't understand... is this show split in seasons? In Doctors? Or each doctor can have more than 1 season? It's too much.

What about... just watching from the start of the last doctor, matt smith? Is that good? Will I "get" the story? And in which season does that Doctor starts?
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:34 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:I was just glad at that point, i got really fed up of david tennant, he got really stale after the 2nd series with him and I just got bored of him. Matt Smith was what brought me back, and i'm glad I came back to it now its progressing as a show.

David Tennant looked very charismatic to me so was I thinking in watching that season... but I'm really confused, according to Wikipedia, Dr Who can regenerate itself when close to death, and they do that everytime they want to change protagonist, every new actor is in fact a new incarnation of the Doctor. But... I don't understand... is this show split in seasons? In Doctors? Or each doctor can have more than 1 season? It's too much.

What about... just watching from the start of the last doctor, matt smith? Is that good? Will I "get" the story? And in which season does that Doctor starts?

The show is divided into seasons (for ease of production, as well as for creating "arcs" in the story), and each incarnation of the doctor typically lasts for a few seasons. I believe David Tennant did 3 seasons, and Matt Smith is on his third.

I personally would advise starting from season 1 episode 1, as it would help you get used to what you have to look for to "get" the show; helps you understand the basic premise and some back story, etc. While you could get away with starting with Matt Smith (few characters are reused from earlier doctors) there would be times where you would have no idea what was going on.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 am

Shkar wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

The show is divided into seasons (for ease of production, as well as for creating "arcs" in the story), and each incarnation of the doctor typically lasts for a few seasons. I believe David Tennant did 3 seasons, and Matt Smith is on his third.

I personally would advise starting from season 1 episode 1, as it would help you get used to what you have to look for to "get" the show; helps you understand the basic premise and some back story, etc. While you could get away with starting with Matt Smith (few characters are reused from earlier doctors) there would be times where you would have no idea what was going on.

I can't start from a 1963 season... it would be hard to find to download and it would take me too much time to reach the modern seasons...

I think I will take the risk and start with Matt.

Also all this time thingy is too confusing, you know, I'm used to the Doc Brown explanation of time, you know, time is linear, if you travel back in time and change something an alternative line of time is created, much simpler.

I think this is appropriate:

Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:44 am

Sorry, I meant episode one of the first season of the revival. I will easily admit that the show is one of my favorites, and I don't like the old series. I think the descriptions of the plots sound great, but the actual show is too boring for me.

As for the time part, I think they purposely have no strict rules set so that they can have more freedom in plot choices. There are several points that the show creates plot holes within it's own rules, but that's not important.

I believe the main theory behind their system of time traveling is that the Doctor travels through his PERSONAL timeline. There are several occasions where he lands in a place and time, only for it to be completely different from what it was when he learned of it. As in, the future had a different history recorded than what actually happened. So, to put it in an easy to think of way, he is travelling through his life and changing "history", which is actually paving the way for the history he learned early in life.

As an example, imagine traveling back to biblical times and seeing Moses about to fail at saving the Jews until you helped him save them. the universe had already "told you" that's how it needed to happen, and you were actually the one who made it so.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:04 am

Shkar wrote:Just, whatever you do, don't blink.
    I have nightmares about statues now. Its a completely irrational fear. Even manakins in stores make me nervous.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Shkar wrote:Just, whatever you do, don't blink.
    I have nightmares about statues now. Its a completely irrational fear. Even manakins in stores make me nervous.

It's completely rational. They're the only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. But they are still psychopaths.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:30 pm