Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Carphil
PlasticandRage
aceluby
Ashran
skarekrow13
bunnywink
The Letter X
Forum Pirate
DoughGuy
raecor14
Tolvo
RANT
16 posters

Books you wanna see made into movies

Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Books you wanna see made into movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Books you wanna see made into movies

Post by Yarxov Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 am

Metro 2033
    Or The Fixer. that ones about a jewsih man being wrongfully imprisoned in turn of the 20th century Russia. Czar nicholas II wasnt the cuddliest of men.
    That stache though.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Books you wanna see made into movies - Page 2 Empty Re: Books you wanna see made into movies

Post by Ashran Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am

Reaperfan wrote:I know they're pretty simplistic books, but I'd kind of like to see the Artemis Fowl series on screen.

Same here.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Never watch The Langoliers. Your eyes might melt

Yeah, I've been down that road. Shame too. It's an awesome book. The film adaptation of Bag of Bones is really bad too. Despite Pierce Brosnan. Sleepwalkers is really bad too.

I'm kind of on the fence about the Stand. I remember enjoying it when I watched it back in the day, but I tried again once it was put up on Netflix, and there's a fairly high level of low budge cheese.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, I'm waiting for my Dark Tower movie. I just hope it's good. T.T
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:19 pm

I'd agree with all those analyses. Couldn't get into Bag of Bones. Stopped watching after 20 minutes or so. Something about couldn't hook me. Book was pretty sweet. Creepshow (which I referenced earlier) was written by King and is appropriate cheesy.

Good to great King adaptations:
    The Shining
    Carrie
    Christine
    Hearts in Atlantis
    The Green Mile
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Pet Sematary
    Children of the Corn
    It
    Maybe missing a few

Tommyknockers and Storm of the Century were ok but it's hard to do made for TV serials and get them awesome.

Two more that could be simply amazing would depend solely on the actors and director. No cheesy gimmicks or special effects to say "at least it was shocking" or overt villains here. Just storytelling at it's finest. Anyway, I would like to see screen adaptations of:

From a Buick 8- What should be an extremely short story about police in custody of a not so ordinary car should be a footnote in a Dark Tower Encyclopedia. The entire thing was riveting and would require a believable ensemble cast as the "villain" would be little more than a stage prop.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon- This would depend entirely on finding a superb child actress who can carry an entire film on her shoulders. Probably one of the best examples of realistic horror.

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Oh man. You don't like Creepshow? It's one of my favorites. Directed by George Romero. One of my favorite film makers. It's supposed to be campy and over the top, like old episodes of Tales from the Crypt.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 pm

I wrote that wrong perhaps. I was comparing Creepshow because you brought up that The Stand had some cheesy aspects. Creepshow does too but in a good, fun way. I love me some Creepshow. My wife and I used to argue over what movie the line "Thanks for the ride lady came from." I have repeatedly told her Creepshow 2 yet I STILL don't think she believes me even though we own the movie. Also in Creepshow 2 is The Raft which came directly from a short story and does it justice.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Yeah that line's definitely Creepshow 2. It's the one with the rich lady that runs over the homeless guy with her car. Any movie that can make Leslie Nielsen a believable villain is good in my book. And yeah, I'm familiar with both adaptations of the Raft. Outside the Body, and maybe the Langoleers, it may be my favorite King short story. The written version is absolutely brutal.

I liked the film adaptation of the Mist too. I went to see it with a bunch of my friends in the theater, and I was the only one who liked it. So I guess it's not very popular, but I stand by my perspective.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:36 pm

King doesn't do love scenes well but the one in The Raft is convincing. More importantly however, is the impact on the story. I think it provides some contrast to the horror that the group has been experiencing and lulls the reader into a sense of security that is quickly, and as you said, brutally broken. I think that scene would have intensified the movie version but for obvious ratings reasons it wasn't put in.

I grew up with Nielsen as a lovable goof detective as I'm sure you did as well. I just watched that part of Creepshow a week or two ago where he's the villain. He can give you chills. He's not only believable in the role but the way he acts is all too human. That character is nowhere near over the top and is so damn believable that, until the end scenes where they break reality to make it a comic book again, I would venture to say it's one of the more brilliant horror films I've come across.

The Mist was pretty good I thought. I think if I hadn't read the book I would have liked it more but that's one of the more messed up stories he's ever ever done and that's saying a lot. In written form that story is disturbing. In movie form it's good but it's hard to do the creatures justice. I was actually glad they changed the ending though. The book version was perfect but the way the movie ended was so absolutely not Hollywood I was hooked.

Let's see if I can think of any non Stephen King I would like to see as a movie. It's been a while since I was reading avidly though.

Wait...I have one. Death Rat by Mike Nelson. It's only fitting that a guy who had a career making fun of bad movies would write a book that could go on to become a bad movie (but probably cult hit)
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Yeah, he was definitely always Frank Drebin to me. He's one of those people like John Candy and Chris Farley, that the world just won't be as good without.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:45 pm