Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
BLA1NE
reim0027
Sir_Dorito
Rifter7
WyrmHero
9 posters

Undecided between fast roll or mid roll

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Undecided between fast roll or mid roll Empty Undecided between fast roll or mid roll

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 pm

I've been thinking about this monster for using it at the arena and the forest/invasions. Hornet Ring for OHKO counter bs. For dueling should use Wolf Ring/DWGR/RTSR. The thing is that the low poise will interrupt my pivot bs attempts and no poise bs. The tank version gets as high as 62 poise with HR, but is that enough for a medium roll? I would say no, because medium roll walking speed is too slow to be able to poise bs a spear/katana/falchion R1 spammer. But if I go fast roll, I can't poise bs him either. Suggestions???

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=401893189484484442

Last edited by WyrmHero on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Undecided between fast roll or mid roll Empty Re: Undecided between fast roll or mid roll

Post by Rifter7 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 pm

get a fast roll.

i dont think you need a hornet ring tho.. that thing should put most people close to death with a backstab at sl 100.. wakeup hit should finish it.
    Sir_Dorito
    Sir_Dorito

Undecided between fast roll or mid roll Empty Re: Undecided between fast roll or mid roll

Post by Sir_Dorito Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 pm

I find having some mobility is good.
    I mean..If you fast roll then you can get around quicker, but you're more open to being stunned locked since you have to have lighter armor.
    Its all personal opinion, I prefer to go light roll and use a Iaito with no shield.

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 am

Rifter7 wrote:get a fast roll.

i dont think you need a hornet ring tho.. that thing should put most people close to death with a backstab at sl 100.. wakeup hit should finish it.

I just wanna make sure my opponent dies in one hit. In the arena it's very important because there are too many bs fishers, and ganking well to take care of phantoms/host quickly. If not going hornet ring I could go medium roll tank without worrying about bs.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 am

I vastly prefer the fast roll. But, then I like to move faster, roll BS when I get the chance, and am used to it from DeS.

The mid roll just doesn't sit well with me.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 am

Since I don't roll bs, I don't have a problem with medium roll. I just stack poise and well you know the rest reim. silly
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am

LOL. True.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 am

Also the DGM's moveset is good for medium roll since you basically want to stunlock your opponent, no rolls needed. The roll R1 thrust is great with fast roll but since it weights so much poise can be a problem. I would use it with 40 poise since most people don't rock 77 poise anymore so the first hit is a guaranteed stagger.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 am

Well, if you're not above OHK bsing, then I don't see why you'd be above chain-stabbing. Swap Hornet's for Wolf's, get yourself some poise so you can do your poise-bs, and chain-bs those who survive.

DO NOT quote me on this! I never said this. silly

I rarely ever bs, but when I get bsed first and judge that it was a cheap bs, then I'll chain them to death (you know, to say: HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?!). Or if I really didn't like the way they fought; or they bored me; or they annoyed me! But it's rare. And I'll usually send them a message apologizing after.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:48 am

BLA1NE wrote:Well, if you're not above OHK bsing, then I don't see why you'd be above chain-stabbing. Swap Hornet's for Wolf's, get yourself some poise so you can do your poise-bs, and chain-bs those who survive.

DO NOT quote me on this! I never said this. silly

I rarely ever bs, but when I get bsed first and judge that it was a cheap bs, then I'll chain them to death (you know, to say: HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?!). Or if I really didn't like the way they fought; or they bored me; or they annoyed me! But it's rare. And I'll usually send them a message apologizing after.

I don't use chain bs except if they heal too much or it's glitcher/hacker. I do use counter bs a lot, and I like punishing overaggressive players with a pivot bs. Since I don't use parry either, poise bs is very useful for spear/curved sword spammers. I did a poise bs against a guy who spammed his spear 2 times, I had 93 poise, but since my walking speed is slower, I don't trust poise bsing with medium roll.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am

Get a good shield if you want med roll, also the black sorcerer gloves are the best for res weight ratio.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:32 am

why only 62 poise for mid roll? i got it up to 82, its just ugly is all

and with the dgm the hornet ring is rather unessesary (spelling fail i know)...
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:why only 62 poise for mid roll? i got it up to 82, its just ugly is all

and with the dgm the hornet ring is rather unessesary (spelling fail i know)...

In that case I would rather have 93, anything between 62 and 93 is pointless (at least for me). I don't use 77 poise since I know how to toggle escape. To have 93 I would need much more End, less HP. 62 poise is risky with medium roll, especially vs spears.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 am

Fast roll. Always fast roll.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:45 am

RantFromRant wrote:Get a good shield if you want med roll, also the black sorcerer gloves are the best for res weight ratio.

DGM + shield aren't a good couple unless one has awesome parrying skills like you rant lol.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm one of the (few?) fans of midroll, it is effective against all spells including DM as well as all boss fights, and some weapon roll attacks can't be pulled off with fast/DWGR roll because you need to exploit the slower roll recovery. It also baits a lot of people to their death because for whatever reason the sight of someone midrolling makes folks assume they are easy pickings and they get sloppy.

But probably the best thing about making some dedicated midroll or fatroll builds is that once you get good with them, when you go back to fast roll it is a joke, like suddenly running without 50 lbs strapped to your back. It's actually boring it is so easy.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:14 pm

if someone baits or forces a roll you have less invulnerability frames and a longer period before you can react. it leaves you more vulnerable to spell cancels like wotg, dark bead and gcf and exposed to weapons like katanas, spears, halberds and curved swords that can safely poke and sometimes stagger you coming out of the roll..

even ignoring those things i've said above- the risk of being pulled into a backstab out of the roll increases heavily compared to where a fast or flip roll is relatively safe in comparison.

yeah, you can make it work... but it's a big risk to be taking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:43 am