Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
FinPeku
RANT
ChizFreak
kazumoshi
lextune
Rifter7
Ghadis_God
The Letter X
WyrmHero
13 posters

A competitive arena Str build

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

A competitive arena Str build - Page 2 Empty Re: A competitive arena Str build

Post by WyrmHero Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm getting 412 AR of the Demon's Spear vs 430 AR of a lightning Pike. I thought DS was way weaker but forgot E weapons' nerf. twisted
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Demon's Spear is useful no matter what stats you have, whether as a weak range weapon for an ele build or a DSS outdamaging monster at 40/40. I'm surprised more people never took advantage of it beforehand, it only seems to have come into vogue after the patch.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 pm

FinPeku wrote:Something that is not a backstab fish build: http://mmdks.com/wxy

Poise to tank three katana hits, Nice HP, heals (like a true arena bro) and Armor of Thorns hopefully cancels some roll bs attempts. Can menu swap to pike +rtsr.

one of the things that really pisses me off is that as soon as people see me with a str weapon they do nothing but try to roll bs me or fish for a backstabs which leaves me with two choices, either fish or counter bs which is fun but it gets boring when your opponent is doing NOTHING but wait for you to attack so he can bs you, it gets boring pretty quick.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm

What is this garbage build? You know it's bad WyrmHero. I am disappoint.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am

You try to make a decent Str build, it's actually really hard. A lot of people are also comfortable with low to no poise, it's a world of tradeoffs.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 am

LunarFog wrote:What is this garbage build? You know it's bad WyrmHero. I am disappoint.

How would you make it? I'm all ears to suggestions.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am

RantFromRant wrote:one of the things that really pisses me off is that as soon as people see me with a str weapon they do nothing but try to roll bs me or fish for a backstabs which leaves me with two choices, either fish or counter bs which is fun but it gets boring when your opponent is doing NOTHING but wait for you to attack so he can bs you, it gets boring pretty quick.
    It is really depressing. I usually try to stunlock them by unlocking. Unfortunately it works only if they screw up their roll bs timing. Damn... Imagine if handaxe had A or even B scaling with str. That would be so good backup weapon for str builds.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:48 am

FinPeku wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:one of the things that really pisses me off is that as soon as people see me with a str weapon they do nothing but try to roll bs me or fish for a backstabs which leaves me with two choices, either fish or counter bs which is fun but it gets boring when your opponent is doing NOTHING but wait for you to attack so he can bs you, it gets boring pretty quick.
    It is really depressing. I usually try to stunlock them by unlocking. Unfortunately it works only if they screw up their roll bs timing. Damn... Imagine if handaxe had A or even B scaling with str. That would be so good backup weapon for str builds.

The same is happening to me as I test the build. I think I'm going back to Iaito and the scythes.
    kazumoshi
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:51 am

FinPeku wrote:

When this starts to happen I switch to total turtle mode. Most of the time the people that roll bs have little in the way of patience.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 am

kazumoshi wrote:
    FinPeku wrote:

When this starts to happen I switch to total turtle mode. Most of the time the people that roll bs have little in the way of patience.

that is very true, most of them get very impatient and end up making mistakes since that's the only 'strategy' they have.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:55 am

WyrmHero wrote:
    FinPeku wrote:

The same is happening to me as I test the build. I think I'm going back to Iaito and the scythes.

i guess its just me and pirate now then.
    kazumoshi
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 am

RantFromRant wrote:
    WyrmHero wrote:
    FinPeku wrote:

Don't mind me, just mid rolling along sad
    http://mmdks.com/x57
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:53 am

RantFromRant wrote:
    WyrmHero wrote:
    FinPeku wrote:

Nonono I still LOVE Str weapons!!!!
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 am

LunarFog wrote:What is this garbage build? You know it's bad WyrmHero. I am disappoint.
    Classy response, Lunar.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 am

I'm getting more into Str too rant, just rolled a new build that uses clubs, kind of a viking look. Very powerful in invasions and the aesthetic is awesome.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 am

Don't mind me, just mid rolling along sad
    http://mmdks.com/x57

looks good, use the silver shield instead though.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 am

Ghadis_God wrote:I'm getting more into Str too rant, just rolled a new build that uses clubs, kind of a viking look. Very powerful in invasions and the aesthetic is awesome.

nice, my new buid is a dragon that med rolls with 62 poise sometimes. i like it a lot, he only uses the demon weapons.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 pm

You know strength builds aren't my specialty, but I know that you can never use anything like a great ax with 0 poise. I would aim for <50% weight to buff up poise and defense.

I'm not sure if a crystal crossbow would be better than an Avelyn too.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Please. With str weapons, it's all about fat roll and tankiness.

http://mmdks.com/xdj

Menu-swap DGM for DGA.
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm pretty sure we have all heard my mini-rants about STR weapons and or mid roll. So ill tell you what i'd do. Go for a mid roll, and stack poise up to 53. Keep as many weapons as possible on you so you can switch in the middle of a battle (Try to put weapons that fit together next to each other say you are using the Greatsword, keep a Claymore under it so you can quick swap the change of pace really throws people off) And best bet for handling Dex users is when you sense they are coming in for a running R1 (Every dex user loves these) either parry (But not in your case seeing as you don't have a shield) or tank the hit and exchange for 400-600. And if you happen to come across a Turtle, dead angle him. (Very VERY easy with str weapons) I hope my advice helps.

(Edit) http://mmdks.com/xdr <-- That's my normal get go if you get rid of spells. So yeah, thats what i'd go with. (Also if you haven't used a MID roll before your gonna get screwed up the butt for a while, but you will get used to it after a little bit. And then you will love the mid roll with all your heart and soul)
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Again, mid rolling with the axe doesn't work. The thing can't stunlock anymore, so it's a hit and dodge fighting style. The axe roll R1 swipe is amazing, and needs a fast roll because it gets roll bsed constantly. I do mid roll in some of my builds, but they have high poise (91) for dealing with spears. When I'm mid rolling, I keep the rolls to a minimum and go for tanking hits and stunlock instead.
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 pm

I happen to have some success with Axes and mid rolling. However it is hard to pull off the rolling R1 against any half decent player. But i mainly just look for trade offs when using axes, considering the damage they do it tends to work out well. (But not all the time) Oh and 91 poise? man that's pretty high xD i tend to stay at 53 cause i like to stay on my toes. I wish you luck with this. And also it sucks that stunlocking was reduced. I think you should ATLEAST be able to get 2 hits in, and then i don't care if they break out but how it currently works is you hit someone they stagger and roll and boom back to how things were
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

DemonOfFate wrote:I happen to have some success with Axes and mid rolling. However it is hard to pull off the rolling R1 against any half decent player. But i mainly just look for trade offs when using axes, considering the damage they do it tends to work out well. (But not all the time) Oh and 91 poise? man that's pretty high xD i tend to stay at 53 cause i like to stay on my toes. I wish you luck with this. And also it sucks that stunlocking was reduced. I think you should ATLEAST be able to get 2 hits in, and then i don't care if they break out but how it currently works is you hit someone they stagger and roll and boom back to how things were

Yeah 91 poise.It's funny when I fight vs a Gold Tracer, they try to stunlock me with the R1 spam and they get stunlocked instead because I always win the spammage battle. But for that I need weapons that can stunlock, such as DGM, MLGS(1HR1) and or even a Reinforced Club.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Why roll at all? You have an ax with 700 attack and great magic weapon. Go for trading blows. Mid rolling should be fast enough to get some space between you and a bs fisher, and the one handed R2 is a great anti-bs move.

If you're REALLY concerned with bs fishing, you can sacrifice some points from health or endurance and boost faith up to 18 so you can cast Tranquil Walk of Peace. Or even just sacrifice 2 points from anything to boost attunement so you can cast Force. It doesn't do damage, but it gets them away from your apparently sensitive back area.
    kazumoshi
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 pm

LunarFog wrote:You know strength builds aren't my specialty, but I know that you can never use anything like a great ax with 0 poise. I would aim for <50% weight to buff up poise and defense.

I'm not sure if a crystal crossbow would be better than an Avelyn too.

Avelyn, when it hits, is a formidable weapon, but the wiff on that thing is horrendous and puts you in serious danger of a backstab.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:40 am