Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
densetsushun
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
alchemydesign
skarekrow13
RePaused
Hue
DoughGuy
Tolvo
12 posters

Yo Gabba Oscar

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Yo Gabba Oscar Empty Yo Gabba Oscar

Post by Tolvo Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:07 am

So, I can of course think of a practical reason for this. Since, it's a way to make it so the item drop cannot be missed by quitting out and reloading, or somehow dying.

Why does Oscar drop down that dead body? "So you can take the key off its body."

Why didn't he just drop the key? Why does he have to drop a body, to startle you? He couldn't be asked to check it for a key? Why did that body have the key to your cell? Is there a lore reason for this at all, or is this just one of those things that is simply there? Why couldn't they have programmed a key to drop, rather than using the common dead body tactic seen elsewhere in game?

Is Oscar a lazy *******, is he just insane, was it just a weird design choice, or could there be something deeper to it?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Yo Gabba Oscar Empty Re: Yo Gabba Oscar

Post by DoughGuy Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 am

Well for starters I feel carrying a body id much more than carrying a key so you can't really call him lazy. Secondly I would be inclined to say design reasons, but since its Miyazaki I long ago took the view if he did it for design reasons then he made sure it meant something with those design reasons. Its always been odd to me that you can see the glow on the body in the cutscene. Perhaps its a time based thing. The body doesn't have the key in Oscar's time/world but he knows it will in yours. So he drops you the body then you see the glow time rift indicating a time based item (which explains every other corpse item in the game) that could then pick up. By removing the item the glowing time rift disappears as it is now settle.d
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:35 am

Well one thing to consider is how much cut content there is revolving around Oscar, I feel like perhaps that whole start was completely different. But due to the cuts and perhaps time constraints they rushed his early interaction with the player.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:37 am

Mmmm that could be true too. Who knows how this all could have tied in to him being your rival in the end. "I killed for you man! I dropped you a dead body to show how much I would do for you and you turn against me man!"
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:39 am

Plus I always found it a bit odd about him falling and getting injured, or getting injured and falling. You can infer how he came to be in his dying state, but I'm really surprised there isn't a noise or even just an animation of him falling to his position or anything. Kind of like they scraped it together. Of course, it is still good quality but things around Oscar just always seem a bit weird. The way his hollow form is treated is quite odd too, since he seems to be more like the player. Death, come back hollow. The others seem to more so turn hollow without dying, to our knowledge. His though is directly involved in his death. Though simply being a failure could still be the cause.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:45 am

Tolvo wrote:Plus I always found it a bit odd about him falling and getting injured, or getting injured and falling. You can infer how he came to be in his dying state, but I'm really surprised there isn't a noise or even just an animation of him falling to his position or anything. Kind of like they scraped it together. Of course, it is still good quality but things around Oscar just always seem a bit weird. The way his hollow form is treated is quite odd too, since he seems to be more like the player. Death, come back hollow. The others seem to more so turn hollow without dying, to our knowledge. His though is directly involved in his death. Though simply being a failure could still be the cause.

Maybe that's because they're both contenders to chosen-undeadship?
    RePaused
    RePaused
    Casual
    Casual

Post by RePaused Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Maybe the player went hollow before the game started, wounded Oscar and Oscar locked him up? Then he gave the player the key to the cell, seeing if he had gained his senses.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Are we sure Oscar knows the key is there? Maybe a happy coincidence. Also, isthefallreally whatgot him or was he already injured and leapt down to rest in peace?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:52 pm

He looks perfectly fine when you see him drop the body so I think it has to be the fall.
    And why would he drop you a body if he thought it was empty? Oscar the troll lol
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 am

I always thought he looked a little tired. Hard to tell with a visor I suppose. Or one last burst of energy.

Why drop a body? Because some bodies come back. As we all know, that cell is the default spawn point should one fall off the map and the game loses your spawn data. Clearly Oscar wants this fiend to no longer spawn at a more convenient location. big grin
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 am

I kinda agree with Skare...I don't think he knew it had a key, I think he was fighting it and either kicked it in the hole or didn't want it coming back to where he was, I don't think he even knows you are in the cell until he looks in it. He stares kinda long as if deciding whether or not to jump in himself.

As to why he is where he is, when you enter the boss room you can look up and see the Big Pilgrim boss, I think that Oscar clearly had a run in with him and ran into the room where you find him and the Big Pilgrim collapses his entrance after him. When he sees that he cannot escape he gives up and begins to hollow, which I find interesting as he's the only NPC that I can think of that consciously knows he is going to hollow, the others seem to simply do it without warning to them.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 am

For truth, when I first played the game and I saw that knight throw a body down in my cell I took him for a prison guard of sorts who was just tasked with locking up the prisoners.

When he gave me my Estus Flasks I didn't put 2 and 2 together and I thought it was some other guy. Only in my return to the Asylum, whereupon his Hollow form attacks me, did I realize how dumb I'd been.

As for why he does it, I dunno. Maybe he's afraid you might be asleep and wouldn't notice a key falling down, whereas a body tends to make one take notice.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 am

I tried to ask him these questions yesterday, but he gave me his shield instead.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 am

DoughGuy wrote:Well for starters I feel carrying a body id much more than carrying a key so you can't really call him lazy. Secondly I would be inclined to say design reasons, but since its Miyazaki I long ago took the view if he did it for design reasons then he made sure it meant something with those design reasons. Its always been odd to me that you can see the glow on the body in the cutscene. Perhaps its a time based thing. The body doesn't have the key in Oscar's time/world but he knows it will in yours. So he drops you the body then you see the glow time rift indicating a time based item (which explains every other corpse item in the game) that could then pick up. By removing the item the glowing time rift disappears as it is now settle.d

Mind Blown.
    FlamingHarlekin
    FlamingHarlekin
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FlamingHarlekin Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:52 am

Maybe its just to show you that bodys can ..obtain? optain? (not sure) items, to show that bodys don't glow for nothing. I dunno, just a stupid guess. Yo Gabba Oscar 3596227959 A tutorial thing without telling you that its really a tutorial thingy Yo Gabba Oscar 3596227959 if there is more behind it, i wouldn't know
    EarthScraper
    EarthScraper
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by EarthScraper Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Oscar had cut dialogue that you can find on YouTube somewhere, and one of his lines varies depending on your choice with Frampt or Kaathe, he will state that he is the chosen undead/dark lord, and attempt to kill you, but what is really cool is that he was meant to live, and help you out again in the forest somewhere. so it's a shame they cut him out. he would have been really cool team mate
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:28 pm

I always thought that Oscar had come to the Asylum with others, and dropped the body like he was just removing the carcass, to fool the others, but stored the key in it secretly. Then when he fell, the others left him to die.

I know it's far-off, but it'd be p. cool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:06 pm