Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Garl_Vinland
KingSeekerCow
steveswede
densetsushun
CappuccinoJak
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
PlasticandRage
BIG TIME MASTER
BLA1NE
RANT
Wade_Wilson
Elite Knight
Mr. Tart
17 posters

Dead Space 3

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Dead Space 3 - Page 11 Empty Re: Dead Space 3

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't even think it's all that entertaining to fight the unitologists. It is fun hiding and watching them get slaughtered though. The one's you come across in that lowered area in the supply depot, that get attacked by feeders are pretty great. I love the feeders. I think they're my favorite enemy. So creepy. Especially the advanced ones. Seeing those glowing eyes patrolling from across a dark room creeps me out every time I see it. I had a scare with some just last night. I'm in the geology labs looking for Rosetta parts now, and I got to that room with the spray painted "Zoo, don't feed the animals" sign. I opened the door and crouched, and was trying to figure out a spot to run to in order to create a bottle neck once I went in, and there were feeders patrolling. This is what I normally do when I enter a room that looks like it's going to have some enemy waves. Normally the feeders will come right near you in the door, and then just continue on their patrol, but this time after a couple of loops, one of them kept coming. It walked right into the room I was in and backed me against a wall. The door closed behind it and everything. It literally backed me sneaking all the way into the previous room, and I had to reveal myself to shoot it and the whole wave came in through the vents of the smaller hallway room.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 am

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:50 am

I wonder if it'll be new missions or a stand alone like the one for DS2? I kinda hope it's new missions added to the campaign instead this time. Stand alones are all well and good, but I kinda feel more like I'm actually accomplishing something when it's added to the campaign, as opposed to just feeling like I'm desperately grasping for the experience to continue.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:52 am

It must be, unless they're aiming for the "both Isaac and Carver survived, and landed on some similar area to the previous one, fighting even more necromorphs for some crazy reason". I really can't see how it would be a stand alone, seeing as both Isaac and Carver are in it. Just wouldn't make any sense.

Also, have you finished off the campaign yet? Wouldn't want to go into too much detail and spoil everything for you.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:05 am

Not quite. I'm getting close though. I think I'm on chapter 15 now? I'm just about finished collecting Rosetta parts. I'm actually playing right now, but I've been in the crafting arena for the last hour trying to figure out what to do with my last parts. I can't seem to find a combination that I like with what I have that doesn't somehow emulate something else I've got.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:07 am

Haha, okay. Well, good luck with that then.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 am

I'm kind of unhappy that the only Line Guns you can get are either the default tip or unique tips. I really think I want to get rid of my Bouncing Bolas for a Line Gun, but I just can't justify ditching my MK-V part and knowing that I can't get another one because the Line Gun doesn't have one.

Man, I'm really impressed at how long this game is. Not that the others were short, because I don't remember feeling that way at all, but damn I remember leaving space for Tau Volantis and thinking that the game must be almost over, because I'd already been playing so long. Adding all the different ships, then different compounds and areas of the planet, and having you actually traverse pretty much all of it really makes the game feel gigantic. I'm really pleased with those aspects of it.

Well all that time in the crafting arena this evening really payed off. I made a new weapon that I'm debating swapping in for one of the weapons I've been using for probably the last 6 or 7 chapters. It's a Force Gun with an underbarrel MK-V timed Line Gun mine, safety guard, and MK-V stasis coating. It just got me through the final area of the Disposal Service optional mission. The area where you have to call down the slow cargo lift, and while you're waiting you get swarmed by waves of feeders, advanced slashers, and twitchers, and there are no corners or bottlenecks without vents. Also coincidentally was the area of my first in-game death. It's a pretty awesome weapon. I took some upgrades from other weapons that I'm not really using and upgraded the Force Gun to actually do some fair damage, at least enough to one shot the feeders, and upgraded its rate of fire until I could just keep tapping the trigger. I was throwing out mines, then blasting away with the Force Gun, which was throwing enemies backwards towards the mine and stasis slowing them, so they couldn't avoid the explosions. Worked really well.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:24 am

Damn. That whole scene after putting Rosetta together is harsh.

Spoiler:
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:25 am

PlasticandRage wrote:Damn. That whole scene after putting Rosetta together is harsh.

Spoiler:
    They've effectively made Ellie nothing more than a convenient plot device for Isaac sad
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Well what was she in 2? I don't see how she's really changed other than that they dated, which I don't find strange at all. You have intense experiences with someone you generally make those connections.

You ran around trying to protect her in 2 also.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:58 pm

I didn't understand peoples complaints about how she was turned into a typical damsel in distress in 3. She was anything but that. She was out alone in space doing research, and then she was the one that talked Isaac and that douschebag into going to the marker homeworld. What more did people want from her? I thought she was unrealistic enough to begin with. I'm tired of all these action heroines, it's filling a lot of young womens heads with unrealistic notions.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:19 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I didn't understand peoples complaints about how she was turned into a typical damsel in distress in 3. She was anything but that. She was out alone in space doing research, and then she was the one that talked Isaac and that douschebag into going to the marker homeworld. What more did people want from her? I thought she was unrealistic enough to begin with. I'm tired of all these action heroines, it's filling a lot of young womens heads with unrealistic notions.

I kinda feel the same way. I don't really have a problem with her arc.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:33 pm

In DS2 Ellie was a survivor, she just wanted to get the hell off Titan Station(like everyone else). You don't even meet her until halfway through the game, and she takes part in the plot.

In DS3, you know from the get go that she left Isaac and he's mourning, so she starts off as an object of affection for Isaac. Immediately after you're told by Norton that Ellie's lost and needs your help, thus being thrust into the Damsel role. After saving her you learn that she's dating Norton, thus she changes into the object of desire between two male leads. Towards the end she seems to revert back into the role of damsel. It's not that she isn't still the person to tell everyone that the mission takes priority, but anyone could've done that. If we look at it from Isaac's perspective, he's done with the necro/marker bull and Ellie's the only reason why he was on Tau Volantis.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 pm

That's not necessarily true. In the beginning Ellie's on that mission, yeah, but Isaac doesn't originally go just because she's there. Yeah, he does go for that reason, but he also goes because Norton and Carver break into his house and hold him at gunpoint, then it becomes clear that the unitologists had overthrown Earth Gov, and one of their sole motivations had become killing Isaac. He wouldn't have been safe without going somewhere, and that somewhere might as well have been where Ellie, someone he loved, needed help that he particularly was suited to give. Then once they get to Tau Volantis orbit, and Isaac is still kinda there just to save Ellie, he finds that captain's room on the Roanoke and the Marker starts speaking to him again, drawing him back in. Ellie being there is just coincidental after that. I think Isaac would have stayed regardless. There are a lot of times that he's more driven than anybody else there.

You also have to take into consideration that his WHOLE motivation in the first game was to save another woman, Nicole, his girlfriend. Then a big part of the second one is him trying to get over the memory of her, that the Marker possession is kinda using to screw with him. Isaac's personality right from the beginning has been to save the girl and be motivated by love.

Taking all that into consideration, I don't see how his love interest plot is any different from the one in the first one. In both games he's motivated to save a woman, and, in classic survival horror fashion, they die violently in the process. Sure, he gets dragged into all kinds of other, more important crap in the meantime, but that's exactly what happens in the third one too.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Agreed^

She was not a damsel in distress. She was a totally independent female. A real hero of modern feminism. So Isaac likes her and tries to protect her? That doesn't make her an object.

It seems like any time a female isn't in the exact opposite role of her traditional one people are up in arms. A woman who isn't kicking butt left and right, who isn't smarter and more reasoning than all of her male counterparts? Outrageous! Women can do anything a man can do, and depicting anything less is sexism!

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:11 pm

It's not about her being in a lesser role, I take no qualms with that other woman on the team. It's that she's fought over by Isaac and Norton, that most of her interactions serve to further Isaac's character development. She could've had a much lesser role for all I cared if she wasn't put in that position.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Well, I'm not going to delve into an argument, I didn't really like anything about the story or characters anyhow. It was too bad, because the game was really fun and would have had a lot of replayability if it didn't keep ramming the shoddy story down my throat.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 pm

The story definitely could've been done better, but it's not bad enough to detract from how enjoyable they are.

Edit: Oh, and I definitely detest not being able to skip cutscenes. I hate modern games that do that, older games can be forgiven.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:08 pm

I really don't understand your issues with the plot. It hasn't been bothering me at all. I'm actually excited to start co-oping so I can find out more about Carver. I really like him as a character so far. He's brutal.

I think the whole back story of the military installation is awesome too. All the old derelict ships, 200 years old and rotting, and the stations on the planet. The idea that an order came down, and that General had his loyal soldiers kill everyone, and then themselves I think creates a really haunting atmosphere. I found the debris field especially haunting.

In fact the only thing I've really found disappointing so far is that once you hit Tau Volantis there's no more zero-g areas. I love the zero-g gameplay
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:18 am

The story is fine until the end. The characters left me cold the whole way through.

I can deal with that no problem, until that second playthrough where I want to really get into the game but I still have to stop way to often to watch a cutscene that I don't enjoy.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:11 am

Spoiler:
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 am

I just didn't like how big and grand things got at the end. Dead Space went from a small, personal story about regular people solving problems in an intense situation, to your typical end of the world only one man can save us from ultimate alien destruction nonsense. The final levels were just absurd looking. I felt like I was playing a 3D Contra, which would be awesome but is definitely not in sync with the rest of the game.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:13 am

Isaac's universe did get so much smaller, yeah. At least they didn't make it an epic post-apocalyptic war between survivors and necros silly
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Well if the last few levels are what's bothering you both, then I guess that makes sense why I don't understand what you mean yet. I think I'm about to be there though. I'm chasing Danik right now.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I think BTM is referring to how Isaac's(or rather, Dead Space's) story grew from the Ishimura, a defunct and isolated planet cracker, to this huge fight against the necromorphs in general.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:15 pm