Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
VaDoom
Acarnatia
Myztyrio
jakstermon12
8 posters

Divine weapon for Catacombs

jakstermon12

Divine weapon for Catacombs Empty Divine weapon for Catacombs

Post by jakstermon12 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm wondering what the best weapon to ascend to divine would be to fight through the catacombs. I can't do much in the ways of 2-h weapon. What would be the best weapon(bought or found) would be the best to ascend to divine. Plz help out soon. I wanna get the great scythe.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Divine weapon for Catacombs Empty Re: Divine weapon for Catacombs

Post by Myztyrio Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Well if you're all about 1-handing, you'll probably want to try the shield-and-spear combo.
    jakstermon12

Post by jakstermon12 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 pm

could a shield be ascended to divine as well? I can 2-h swords but Idk where to get most of them.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:00 pm

jakstermon12 wrote:could a shield be ascended to divine as well? I can 2-h swords but Idk where to get most of them.

Where are you at in the game? Which areas have you cleared? Ascending a shield to divine wouldn't do anything for you. ALWAYS ascend shields the normal path, as that gives them increased stability. Using any other path would only increase the damage it does on attacking.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 am

Why did I just get 3 negative reps for trying to help someone :pale:

People are really that mean..?
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:57 am

If you have 22 or higher Dex, you can just use a silver knight spear. It has the divine effect without relying on Faith at all and it upgrades with Twinkling titanite.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:08 am

I feel severely injusticed sad
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:06 am

Myztyrio wrote:I feel severely injusticed sad
    I don't know why, maybe you have some unknown enemies...
    You said something wrong : ascending a shield to other path than normal can increase elemental damage reduction.
    But I don't think that mistake is worth a downvote...
    Also, one can disagree about using a spear + shield, because it may not be worth the investment in titanite.

Anyway, you got my +1. And it's ok if it gets me a -1 in return big grin

To OP, if you have already done Anor Londo, you could use the occult club you (might have) found by killing the mimic in the dark room behind the illusionary wall (in a chimney), and turn it back to divine +5.
    It's probably not the best choice in term of efficacity depending on your build., but the investement is 0 and it's already +5. With it, without any faith, you can do a 3 hits combo to kill a skeleton.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 am

This is probably not good advice if you're new to the game but I usually run through the Catacombs, there's a shortcut after the first bridge you can take that puts you on a ledge where you can summon an NPC.

When you've beaten Pinwheel and obtained the Rite of Kindling, get 20 Estus and just go kill the Necromancers one by one, run past the skeletons until all Necromancers are dead.
    There are 6 of them I believe, the Wiki probably has their locations listed.
    Only the final one is a bit tricky with the BK nearby, but he doesn't respawn so kill the BK first.
    After that you won't need a Divine weapon anymore...

If the above isn't your style, on my first playthroughs I used a Reinforced club ascended to Divine to deal with the skeletons, it has good R2 attack and does decent damage so it should get you through there.

Downgrading the Occult club is also a viable option, saves you some materials and getting the Divine ember.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 am

jakstermon12 wrote:I'm wondering what the best weapon to ascend to divine would be to fight through the catacombs. I can't do much in the ways of 2-h weapon. What would be the best weapon(bought or found) would be the best to ascend to divine. Plz help out soon. I wanna get the great scythe.
    If you've been to Anor Londo, you can pick up a Occult Club there. Downgrade to to Divine +5.

Ah, sure ninja'd me on it. lol!

Anyway, using a blunt weapon is a good idea, because it shatters the skeletons upon R1 hit and sends them flying away on R2. That way you can attack them while they put themselves back to one piece.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 am

Can you actually do that? Anytime I've gone to downgrade a weapon I got already on an +11 upgrade path (crystal halberd, occult club, enchanted falchion) the game was not letting me downgrade it past what I found it at.
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:49 am

Acarnatia wrote:Can you actually do that? Anytime I've gone to downgrade a weapon I got already on an +11 upgrade path (crystal halberd, occult club, enchanted falchion) the game was not letting me downgrade it past what I found it at.
    You can 8)
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am

Acarnatia wrote:Can you actually do that? Anytime I've gone to downgrade a weapon I got already on an +11 upgrade path (crystal halberd, occult club, enchanted falchion) the game was not letting me downgrade it past what I found it at.
    Yes. All blackmisths can do it (Andre can do it only after you give him one Ember, doesn't matter which one). It will revert the weapon to the starting point of the previous upgrade level.

+15 weapon will become +10, that +10 will become +5.
    Occult weapon will get downgraded to +5 Divine.
    Enchanted weapon will become +5 Magic.
    etc etc

It works even on boss weapons, you can return them to their +10 version, before using boss soul.

However, this doesn't work for Crystal weapons.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:58 am

Myztyrio wrote:Why did I just get 3 negative reps for trying to help someone :pale:

People are really that mean..?

Yes. If you need proof then look at this thread. Bought the AOTB after Prepare to die edition

The origional poster bought the Prepare to Die Edition for the PS3 (Origional Game + DLC). Then he bought the DLC a 2nd time from the PS Store. Someone downvoted him for doing that.

Look at this one too. Forum Guidelines Apparently someone doesn't like the rules.

There are jerks here that abuse the voting system.

ON TOPIC: I would use the Astora Sword. It's in the Valley of Drakes and guarded by an undead dragon. The Dragon Crest Sheild is also there. It's good for blocking fire attacks.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Astora's sword does require some Faith investment I think, but if you can wield it it's a decent early game weapon.
    The Dragon Crest shield is also good for Quelaag, again decent early game equipment.

Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:05 pm

VaDoom wrote:
    Myztyrio wrote:I feel severely injusticed sad
    I don't know why, maybe you have some unknown enemies...
    You said something wrong : ascending a shield to other path than normal can increase elemental damage reduction.
    But I don't think that mistake is worth a downvote...
    Also, one can disagree about using a spear + shield, because it may not be worth the investment in titanite.

Anyway, you got my +1. And it's ok if it gets me a -1 in return big grin

To OP, if you have already done Anor Londo, you could use the occult club you (might have) found by killing the mimic in the dark room behind the illusionary wall (in a chimney), and turn it back to divine +5.
    It's probably not the best choice in term of efficacity depending on your build., but the investement is 0 and it's already +5. With it, without any faith, you can do a 3 hits combo to kill a skeleton.

Nono, what I said was correct. It doesn't reduce elemental damage, I said that it increases the amount of damage it would deal(if you were to use it as a weapon, like how I did on my shields only playthrough). bounce Thank you though, sir.

@Wanderer - Yeah, it's actually happened to me more than once, and it loses a bit of my confidence in our race sad
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:35 am

Myztyrio wrote:
    Nono, what I said was correct. It doesn't reduce elemental damage, I said that it increases the amount of damage it would deal(if you were to use it as a weapon, like how I did on my shields only playthrough). bounce Thank you though, sir.
    According to the wiki, a lightning/fire shield as a better damage reduction in lightning/fire than a regular one. For instance : http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Small+Leather+Shield

Seeing your reputation drop because of (seemingly not deserved) downvotes on your posts on other topics, you realy must have unknown enemies... :shock:
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:09 pm

^ Actually Myztyrio is somewhat right. Some shields don't get benefits from some elemental upgrade paths. (ex. Effigy Shield dosen't get increased defense from lightning upgrades. Black Iron Shield doesn't get increased defense from fire upgrades.) Also, Divine doesn't give any shields increased magic defense.
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:35 pm

As for the OP, it really depends on your build. Normally I try to use a weapon strong enough to one-shot the skeletons, but if I'm using a dex build, I use a divine dagger or rapier because of the crit bonus.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:21 pm

WandererReece wrote:^ Actually Myztyrio is somewhat right. Some shields don't get benefits from some elemental upgrade paths. (ex. Effigy Shield dosen't get increased defense from lightning upgrades. Black Iron Shield doesn't get increased defense from fire upgrades.) Also, Divine doesn't give any shields increased magic defense.

Thanks.

Yes, if you want a shield that specializes in a certain elemental defense, IMO it's best to just use one of the shields that has high "x" defense, rather than trying to somehow even out the defenses by way of upgrade. Ex - BKS, Effigy Shield
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:25 pm

^ The ironic thing is 2 people down voted you because they thought you were wrong, and I proved them wrong. Remind me why we have this voting system?
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:03 pm

The voting system in itself is good, but people being people, internet being the internet you can wait for someone to use it for something other then it was originally intended, I think.

That said have an upvote Myz...
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 pm

^ I'm just imagining what jakstermon12, the OP, is thinking. He asked a simple divine question, and now he's seen a discussion about the dark side of this forum. He's only been a member for 3 days.

Also, we really derailed his thread.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:49 pm