Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
samster628
The Letter X
Juutas
Oh_the_Humanity
Serious_Much
Acarnatia
sinspaw
ChizFreak
Fossil
Hue
BIG TIME MASTER
DE5PA1R
FattyOfDoom
Conrack
Seignar
19 posters

I still say we should not be carrying 9002 weapons at a time...

steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

I still say we should not be carrying 9002 weapons at a time... - Page 3 Empty Re: I still say we should not be carrying 9002 weapons at a time...

Post by steveswede Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Acarnatia wrote:what if the player can always send items to his or her bottomless box and only withdraw at checkpoints? (bonfires or whatever replaces them) That way item burden can be added in, adding realism and a need for preparation and thinking, and not have the danger of losing heavy items.

You're desperately trying to add a convoluted system to bring back a mechanic that was removed because it doesn't work well in this type of RPG. You're screwing with the lore by having the ability to teleport weapons at no cost to the player (darksign and homeward bones) which also ruins a great feature for players to use weapons and armour as they find them. I take it would mean that consumable items like moss and humanity would also be teleported to bonfires. Sorry dude but there's no great alternative to the current system.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

I still say we should not be carrying 9002 weapons at a time... - Page 3 Empty Re: I still say we should not be carrying 9002 weapons at a time...

Post by Acarnatia Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:05 pm

That was just rude. Saying that I'm desperate (or describing my actions as desperately, as the case is) and screwing does not improve your point-it just shows that you're being hostile and unpleasant. Please treat me respectfully.
    And no, the bottomeless box is not in the bonfire-I think it would burn and the player would no longer have one if it was in the fire. Rather, I explain it this way; I have a small wooden box that can hold more than what should actually fit in a box this size. This takes time and is dangerous to just sit down and sift through in the middle of nowhere, so I'll only look through and pull something out when I'm near. (insert checkpoint name here) On the other hand, I can just open it and toss something in in a few seconds safely because I just have to put something in, not take all the time to look through and pull something out. Items that are in my inventory are stuff that I'm actually carrying, not stuff in my bottomless box. As for what goes in there, what I'm thinking is that if the player picks up an item and that will overburden them, the game will give them a list of options, just like selecting it in the menu, including 'send item to box,' 'send held items to box,' and 'leave item.' This keeps players from carrying around five full sets of plate armor and over ten ten-pound weapons and several lighter. That situation can and has defeated the point of min-maxing and making decisions because that player can then pull the proper gear for every situation, rather than making do and adapting.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Acarnatia wrote:That was just rude. Saying that I'm desperate (or describing my actions as desperately, as the case is) and screwing does not improve your point-it just shows that you're being hostile and unpleasant. Please treat me respectfully.

Read the context correctly please and calling someone action desperate does not mean that it was meant to be hostile or unpleasant. If someone said that to me I would reflect what their point was about instead of coming to the conclusion that it was meant to insult me. It was the appropriate word given the applications you're suggesting in several posts.

Acarnatia wrote:And no, the bottomeless box is not in the bonfire-I think it would burn and the player would no longer have one if it was in the fire. Rather, I explain it this way; I have a small wooden box that can hold more than what should actually fit in a box this size. This takes time and is dangerous to just sit down and sift through in the middle of nowhere, so I'll only look through and pull something out when I'm near. (insert checkpoint name here) On the other hand, I can just open it and toss something in in a few seconds safely because I just have to put something in, not take all the time to look through and pull something out. Items that are in my inventory are stuff that I'm actually carrying, not stuff in my bottomless box. As for what goes in there, what I'm thinking is that if the player picks up an item and that will overburden them, the game will give them a list of options, just like selecting it in the menu, including 'send item to box,' 'send held items to box,' and 'leave item.' This keeps players from carrying around five full sets of plate armor and over ten ten-pound weapons and several lighter. That situation can and has defeated the point of min-maxing and making decisions because that player can then pull the proper gear for every situation, rather than making do and adapting.

This is still convoluted for the sake of some form of item burden and gear restrictions.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:34 pm

steveswede wrote:I take it would mean that consumable items like moss and humanity would also be teleported to bonfires.

That's subjective. I wouldn't think so, as it wouldn't limit choices or add depth.

steveswede wrote:This is still convoluted for the sake of some form of item burden and gear restrictions.

I feel like you're not really trying to understand where we're coming from. It's not about item burden or realism, it's about limitation. Surely you can recognize that limiting the player's 'loadout' adds a layer of strategy and risk-reward. Whether this is good or bad is a separate argument.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:43 pm

DE5PA1R wrote:
    steveswede wrote:I take it would mean that consumable items like moss and humanity would also be teleported to bonfires.

That's subjective. I wouldn't think so, as it wouldn't limit choices or add depth.

steveswede wrote:This is still convoluted for the sake of some form of item burden and gear restrictions.

I feel like you're not really trying to understand where we're coming from. It's not about item burden or realism, it's about limitation. Surely you can recognize that limiting the player's 'loadout' adds a layer of strategy and risk-reward. Whether this is good or bad is a separate argument.

I know it's about limitations, my concern is at what cost. Every angle needs to be looked at to make sure the things that shouldn't be made to suffer don't. If I've summoned someone and find a new set of armour, do I have to send the phantom home, die or complete the boss just so I can try out the armour or weapon at the next bonfire? That would be a very unfriendly system to anyone for the sake of limiting swapping out gear during level progression and bosses. It stops me from making choices that are perfectly acceptable in current games. It's restrictive rather than intuitive.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm

But you're making some assumptions there that make it worse than it could be.

If armor was limited to say 4 different sets, stowing all but 2 sets would leave 2 'slots' open. If you value grabbing a set of armor and immediately trying it on (I'm right there with you), this would be your usual means of exploration.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 pm

It's a perfectly reasonable assumption to consider because the scenario can happen. Implementing that system would be cumbersome to use for the wrong reasons. What being suggest here is so minor that I would even consider it a non issue. The argument is that people can swap gear from a massive library anywhere in the game. Is that even game breaking?
    argotthar
    argotthar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by argotthar Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm fine with inventory how Dark handle it, especially good for PVP. Simply said, I like to have a choice in every moment, not just to be limited to a weapon or two. In number of cases, switching to the right weapon for certain gank setups in Forest made a huge difference for me. To hell with reality, I'm in for fantasy happy
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:24 am

About the strength issue - dont forget that you are and undead which are well known to be stronger than your average human for reasons unknown. Also theres magic...
    No weight issue is you dont like carrying stuff around dont pick it up, use bottomless box or drop your stuff. I admit the bottom box is hard to look through when you got loads of items so there shouls be a better layout for it and maybe a text search.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:56 am

I don't mind the way it already is, but i think if you couldn't carry as much as you can in Dark Souls, it could improve the survival feel to it.

FattyOfDoom wrote:I think you're wrong actually. I like being able to swap out my equipment for noticing certain enemies. Although there should be a weight limit i'll admit that

I think that, if you couldn't swap when you see a new enemy, it would offer a new challenge. It could be rather nice having to choose your loadout carefully before heading out. Once you find a weapon, you have to decide whether you want to keep your current one or swap for what you found. That would be pretty nice.

Either way, Dark Souls is Dark Souls, so it doesn't really matter that much to me.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:37 am

steveswede wrote:I think what we need are baby carts to carry our swag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNBniGValEQ#t=0h1m18s

I still say we should not be carrying 9002 weapons at a time... - Page 3 Lwac3_6

OMG lone wolf and cub, I forgot that there was film versions XD

Definitely gonna watch that some time big grin
    messremb
    Regular
    Regular

Post by messremb Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:12 am

I'd like a set limit of equipment to lug around for some realism, as well as strategic value. But, as it is a videogame and complete fantasy, I also would like to keep all my loot. No reason why all found items can't go straight to your box. And I don't care if i'm ill-prepared for a PvP encounter, as that is the point (unless you ganking) of invading in the first place, in catching folks off guard!

Then again, i'm more about the aesthetics anyways, as PvP, while very fun, is not a religion for me.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:23 am

Serious_Much wrote:OMG lone wolf and cub, I forgot that there was film versions XD

Definitely gonna watch that some time big grin

The first three are amazing, the third one is the best out of the six. The rest are not as good with 5 being the worst.
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 am

Just please don't add burden. Gods i cant even count the amount of time wasted on Skyrim deciding what to drop. But burden works on that game cos you can get a house (or 10) and store your crap in there. It as also really easy to find storekeepers on that game and there are actually not a huge amount of unique, powerful weapons compared to dark souls and any stuff you drop can often be picked up again later. Also it would be completely unrealistic on Skyrim to carry around infinite stuff because it doesn't fit the mechanics of the game.

In dark souls this is completely different. You cant get a house in which to stash your stuff (and rightly so) and the vendors are much less common (in fact several get killed by players for humanity etc.). There is also a cash flow problem even for common weapons. On Skyrim sell an iron sword (Legendary) and you can so easily get another one. On dark souls sell a wooden shield + 15 at a low level and it will take you ages to get another one. Anything you drop is also lost to another world forever.
    Also you are undead (which by all accounts do not follow the physical rules like humans) and seem to be a lot stronger, have a bottomless box and bonfires with magical properties (who knows what).
    So basically We really don't need burden and there are factors that could explain the limitless strength of the player character. Addmittedly though as i have said in a previous page - the bottomless box seriously needs a change of layout cos you cant find anything in there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:55 pm