Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
steveswede
mugenis4real
TehInfamousAmos
Saturday-Saint
Automancer
barrywilkins
Animaaal
Sentiel
reim0027
The Letter X
Paragon
Phoenix Rising
GrinTwist
Anchises
18 posters

bowing anyone? a mini rant

Anchises
    Anchises
    Addicted
    Addicted

bowing anyone? a mini rant Empty bowing anyone? a mini rant

Post by Anchises Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:45 pm

So now that a large part of the community considers it uncool to bow, sheep-like some would say, more and more I find myself getting summoned through my dragon eye in the burg or summoning red spirits and getting kicked, attacked, or backstabbed as I bow or drop a "hello" or "thank you" stone.

Personally I think this is just plain rude in what's generally accepted as a dueling area. If you don't want to bow back for whatever reason that's fine, but why interrupt me while I'm trying to show you a little respect? Everyone's free to play the game however they like(it is just a game), but I can't understand the reason for this rudeness. It's childish and mindless, in my opinion.

So now, if someone kicks or hits me while I bow to them I just bsc out or jump of the ledge if I can't. I'm not going to reward players like this with souls, humanity, dragon scales, or most importantly a good fight.

(To be clear, invasions are a different matter. If I'm invading, the host didn't agree to have me in his world and can do whatever he can to get me out)
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

bowing anyone? a mini rant Empty Re: bowing anyone? a mini rant

Post by GrinTwist Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Your in the burg with this build? I find that just strange that no one is bowing to you, sure the honor system in general has gone down the drain, but they still normally bow once they've summoned someone. It's possible when your looking for matches when your apart of the dragon covenant that other players just see you as a way to farm for dragon scales but as far as them attacking you when you RSS I can't explain.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:46 pm

I've had this happen to me too in the township. It's very irritating. I don't really mind being kicked out of a bow animation but lately people have been charging in and attacking.
    Paragon
    Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Paragon Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm

A lot of people seem to get discouraged from bowing because they constantly get stabbed or kicked while bowing. Regardless of the situation I try to show as much respect as possible. Even if somebody stabs me while bowing I bow to them again if and when I manage to kill them. The best thing I can suggest to you is that instead of using your BSC, kill them and then bow to them anyway. This may seem like an odd thing to do but it shows them that you are above their immaturity and that you refuse to sink to their level. If they beat you after bow-stabbing you they've proven nothing but if you kill them after they bow-stab you, you have earned the right to gloat about it. But instead of gloating, turn the other cheek and bow to them that they might reflect upon their actions.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:22 pm

I always bow as long as my opponent doesn't rush me, but I prefer to host so I don't run into that as often.

It also makes me sick that someone would do that to a dragon spirit. If I see a dragon spirit I give them some scales as well as the cleanest fights possible.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm

When I'm not invading, I get a good distance from my opponent and bow. It just sets the tone for the fight. At least for me.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:13 pm

When I summon to fight, or am summoned myself, I always create enough distance between me and my opponent that I'm on the very edge of lock-on range and Bow . I expect a fair and honourable duel when summoning is involved.

If I invade, or I am invaded, I either bow from a very safe distance, or wait for the invader to bow first.
    This is only in PvP areas, like Burg and Moonpit, mostly anywhere else, it's a kill, or be killed.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:44 pm

I believe it is because of the streamers.

Bowing can be a hassle, but in the end its a good habit to develop.

When Dark Souls 2 comes out people will instantly revert back to bowing, and all will be right again.
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Bowing has lost its flavor to me. That's not to say i just charge in on my opponents, I just substitute it for another emote. bowing anyone? a mini rant 3207319737for when its been awhile since I've had a fight. bowing anyone? a mini rant 1361424789to open a friendly start. bowing anyone? a mini rant 3596227959for when they open the door to my house and leave without saying anything. And my personal favorite: hiding in camouflage in the most obvious spot, and when they walk up to me, start spamming "HELP ME!" I find it helps loosen everyone up and just let them enjoy the fight for what it is.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:37 pm

I only bow if they do first but not all the time. I've been baited into bowing then ending up in a hornet DMB DGM bs. But i'll bow after the match is over if i enjoyed it.
    Anchises
    Anchises
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Anchises Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:26 pm

I think you're all right. GrinTwist I don't know what build you're referring to but this is what I use

http://mmdks.com/1bl2 (I know it's not very streamlined, I hardly ever use either of the miracles and I usually switch the SKSS for an Uchi and the red tearstone ring for the leo ring. The toon is female)

I don't stand anything to lose when I die as a dragon spirit, so I really have stopped caring about getting bsed while I bow. During invasions I stay careful so I don't get backstabbed if the host doesn't look like he's going to wait.

I still meet a good amount of decent players though, to be clear. I would say that at least 60% of my summons and invasions are good duels with friendly people. I think we just need to keep being polite and make sure to message people after duels with "gg"s to spread this mindset.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:10 pm

I have noticed a bit of this. Don't really care about it. Just don't bow the next time you fight somebody who kicked you last time.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:11 am

I would say that although I frequently don't bow unless it is a pre-arranged duel that I will just stand there whilst they bow and prepare for the fight. After the fight I will either bow to them or walk off slowly into the scenery. Then if I beat them by far I will send them gg and some suggestions on how they could perform a bit better and if I beat them barely then I will say gg and state what I liked about their style of play.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:33 am

Well I think we can all agree that the Undead Burg is long past it's prime. I was at about half health, and my opponent was about to die, and you know what he does? He flasks himself back to a full bar. This happened AFTER he bowed at the beginning of the duel. I just Black Crystal out.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:02 am

Anchises wrote:Personally I think this is just plain rude in what's generally accepted as a dueling area. If you don't want to bow back for whatever reason that's fine, but why interrupt me while I'm trying to show you a little respect?

Is it me or do some people don't understand the concept of respect. Respect is earned, not granted so you shouldn't be getting upset because someone interrupted your self made obligatory bow. Duelers have obviously got bored with waiting for the bowing animation to finish so stop taking it personally like it's an insult at you.

Damn Dark Souls is going rather PC lately so the sooner everyone's chills the **** out the better.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:17 pm

It is unpolite not to bow before a duell....so it's just you

In burg and pit i often get BSed while bow when i got summond via rss...don't touch my rss if you intend to fight like a rude barbarian
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 pm

It's no skin off my back if people don't. Also it's not the real world so being polite is irrelevant. It's like the WWE, the wrestlers I'm sure respect each other in reality but role play in the arena.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Bowing has *** all to do with respect, anyways. I am not sure where people get that notion from. It serves simple function: to let your opponent know that you're ready to fight.
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dutchy Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:18 pm

I was wondering what you all were talking about then I logged on for the first time in ages and I can't find a scrap of respect anywhere. It's all stab stab kill kill.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:30 pm

IMO, bowing usually hints that you are fighting with some rules of engagement. It also signifies that you are ready, but you don't need bowing to do that.

I bow at the start, to essentially say hi and let's have a good fight. Then, I buff/grass and start to move. It is pretty easy to see when I'm ready to fight.

I also bow at the end of the fight. Always.
    Paragon
    Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Paragon Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:46 am

Im the same way about bowing at the end of the fight. I haven't always bowed in the past, Ive done the whole bowing anyone? a mini rant 3248139268 "shame on you" thing. Im over that now and from now on Im gonna bow after every fight. I used to do bowing anyone? a mini rant 3596227959 but only because I thought it was the gesture for giving a hug, which now after having beaten dark souls I realize was completely idiotic of me.

Anyway, you go Reim bowing for the win! bowing anyone? a mini rant 3149687655 bowing anyone? a mini rant 945058907 bowing anyone? a mini rant 1330857165
    Murkulanvippi
    Murkulanvippi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Murkulanvippi Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 am

reim0027 wrote:IMO, bowing usually hints that you are fighting with some rules of engagement. It also signifies that you are ready, but you don't need bowing to do that.

I bow at the start, to essentially say hi and let's have a good fight. Then, I buff/grass and start to move. It is pretty easy to see when I'm ready to fight.

I also bow at the end of the fight. Always.

This! From word to word. happy and I usually use joy or wave before i bow to signify that I'm ready.
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:21 am

While trying to trade with someone of the forum, I got summoned via my rss. The guy stardted to cast fire tempest just as I spawned. I magicaly managed to roll between the pillars like a lucky boss then proceeded to kick his ***. First and last time I didn't bowing anyone? a mini rant 3149687655after a fight and used bowing anyone? a mini rant 3248139268instead.
    Come on, rss user are clearly wanting to have fair fights or possibly trade. What do you want? Humanities? Souls?
    Sadly, it happens more and more these times, but I usually don't end the fight alive.
    Solutions :
    - Ignoring and going on, there still are honnorable people.
    - Hosting might be the best solution. I hosted in the kiln, catbroing at the same time, last night. I'd say 95% off the guys who invaded me had good manners. the average of SL was around mine, dark wraiths were generaly <= to my SL and blade of the dark moons were generaly >=. So it's ok.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 am