Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Forum Pirate
SpecialNewb
Emergence
BIG TIME MASTER
steveswede
Johnthethird
Dilaudid281
Rynn
Animaaal
Frank_White
samster628
Buggy Virus
Ashran
mr_no_face
Seignar
Soris Ice Goldwing
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Acarnatia
messremb
DE5PA1R
Serious_Much
DemonOfFate
Orango19
27 posters

PETS, anyone?

Orango19
    Orango19
    Addicted
    Addicted

PETS, anyone? Empty PETS, anyone?

Post by Orango19 Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:29 pm

PETS, anyone? Pet_th12

How about we being able to have pets? Since they are going to introduce mounts; I believe they are creating some sort of system that lets your horse (a npc) recognize you as their owner.

Owning NPCs leaves the pet window open. And protoypes are no fiction. We sorta had a glance of it while summoning Sif.

This would make the game relatively easier. So I guess some handicap should be added. For example: I usually considered the Egg Head to be some sort of Pet. Say... Your pet absorbs 50% of your souls. This could make the game even harder for people that can't ditch a cute dog for upgrading their weapon.

And to make things more interesting; only after obtaining a certain item you can convert mobs into pets. Sorta like Undead Rapport. So you'll have to go to their habitat and convert one to get the chance. Not an item thing.

Even Arty had pets, why can't we? D:

---

Say... What if your pets could "grow up" (THIS IS NOT POKEMON). Kinda like the Egg Head. You'd get a small wolf, common undead dog, common rat, small mushroom, small cat, small chaos bug, baby skellies.

They'd absorb 50% of your souls, and follow you around like a phantom would. After a while they would grow up into their "addult" forms (or simply, a stronger form, because you helped make their soul stronger). Like Sif grew up, so would your wolf. But it wouldn't become gigantic, just, larger than a normal wolf.

They could even get natural abilities; for example, the Poison Rat grows up into a Toxic Rat. The Undead Dog becomes a Fire Breathing dog.

The set back here would be that once they grow up, they absorb 75% of your souls. And if you set them free; they become an aggressive mob that you'll have to fight.

They will probably die sometimes, so you'll have to go back to bonfires and use Humanities to revive them. And also, like items, you'll have to "Repair" (Treat Wounds) them, with souls.

AND NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE DRAKES AND DRAGONS, 12 YO BOY. KTHXBAI

Last edited by Orango19 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

PETS, anyone? Empty Re: PETS, anyone?

Post by DemonOfFate Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Hmm... I think it could work. lol imagine having a little mushroom following you around falcon punching everything.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Please god no. Souls is about lonliness, the opposite of having a pet
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:24 pm

Well, i suppose you have a valid point. It's all going to depend upon where the game takes place, because Dark souls takes place in i want to say where the dark sign started. Though i'm not sure, all in all if they do the pet system right, then it might be good. I mean imagine having your mushroom friend die that you trained from a little mushroom. That i think would add onto the despair that the soul series is.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:38 pm

A mushroom guy pet would be so cute <3

and badass once it grew up!
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Please god no. Souls is about lonliness, the opposite of having a pet

+1.

I'm all for adding more despair (ha!) to the series, but for the player to experience sadness after losing a pet they must feel attachment to it. To feel attachment, you must experience happiness with the pet. That happiness is really contrary to the franchise.
    messremb
    Regular
    Regular

Post by messremb Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Please god no. Souls is about lonliness, the opposite of having a pet

What he said!

Although.....i'd like to have the ability to make a "pet" that could spawn in another's world, ala Gravelord style! Imagine the ability to turn some rare items (i.e, a Dragon scale, or multiple scales really) into a drake (think more along the lines of something akin to the Lighting Drakes, not a behemoth like Hellkite!) that would spawn in some random player's world in any random location, and be a mobile threat that they have to contend with. In a nutshell, a very hardcore vagrant. They kill the player, you reap their souls (but lose the scale forever, alas). They kill it though, and you would likely never know, so that would be the likely ugly flipside. Probably a dumb idea that would be hard to implement really, but seems kinda fun though, at least to me! Would have to be rarer items for you to want to drop, as the choice would need to be harsh in wanting to keep item, or release it for the purpose of grief.

Ok, be nice, please! lol
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:07 pm

So much no.
    *plays Ode To Joy with all the lyrics replaced by the word 'no'*
    Orango19
    Orango19
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Orango19 Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Imma illustrate my idea; maybe it will make you guys see how a pet can make things more hardcore. lol

By the way, updated first post with a picture LOL

(c) me - so if you are planning to use it, please ask me first silly
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm

all i could see happening with a pet would be a proscribed part of the game with it helping you (maybe during boss fights or something), and then to continue you'd have to kill your pet in cold blood. thats how souls works.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Sorry but Serious and sparkly have good points. These games are dark, they make you traverse it alone with very little contact outside of invades, which are not good company, and summons, the good company. Having a pet, while a uplifting idea, will surely lead to some dark crossroad were we will have to something no one wants too. Killing Sif for instance after the dlc is a little hard since you save then kill him. Sorry but I'd rather not do something to animal like a dog.
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm

But you see, that would be awesome.
    Spoiler:
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Personally, I wouldn't want pets to happen, I don't think it would be a worthwhile system when they could try a different system using NPC: The affinity system. Talk to NPCs, get to know them, etc. Get high enough affinity and you might find their summon signs or they might not invade you or you might have new events with them.

Pets would add unnecessary things to Dark Souls, such as balance problems, boosting the number of ganking opportunities,etc. Like other said, it also breaks the feeling of loneliness that the Souls series establishes (and intensifies as the game progresses). An affinity system would let you make a bond with an NPC, which would add all the above that the Pet system seems to want to add, while still maintaining the atmospheric effects (Just because you're friends doesn't mean you are going to stick together).
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Highly.... Highly doubt we will ever throw pets into the mix ... ever... its a nice touch to other games but not Souls. Mounts? I recall Chariots being mentioned but I honestly don't even think we as the player will even have our own dedicated "ride"
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Yeah, i'd have to agree with you. Overall i wouldn't want pets considering that they would most likely be hard to implement into the soul series.

But still, i like pondering things like this. Oh and regarding getting to know the NPC's. I also wondered why they didn't add anything even remotely like that, i mean in Demon soul's they kinda had something like that.

I'm sure it would go something like the NPC gives a subtle hint that hes missing something, though nothing like the storage guy in Demon soul's. His side-quest thing was unremarkable easy. I don't want said item to say 'Could it have belonged to a little girl?' no i hated that with a burning passion. I was hoping for more of a subtle hint in the item description, not just that.

Something along the lines of you have to defeat some big bad monster or find said item in a random place, and he explains what that object means to him. Now of course i wouldn't want them to spoon feed everything about said character, just a little bit more information on said characters.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 pm

If we can pet something in DkSII im sure it dies in a horrible way. Its a dark world.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Yeah. I like pets in some games. They don't fit the Souls series.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 am

Noooooo. . .?
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 am

i agree with this first quote. Thats why i completed the egame solo first, it ruins the game going around with a summons posse who 1 shot all your foes. Although there should be something like a summon stone to summon a pet like thing at certain points in the game. that could work.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:41 am

You're crazy. Pets in Dark Souls, seriously? That would ruin the game. You wouldn't be exploring creepy dungeons in loneliness anymore
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 am

mr_no_face wrote:Highly.... Highly doubt we will ever throw pets into the mix ... ever... its a nice touch to other games but not Souls. Mounts? I recall Chariots being mentioned but I honestly don't even think we as the player will even have our own dedicated "ride"

Yeah hopefully they meant you can ride a chariot in a certain area only. Would suck if you could have a mount/chariot for the entire game.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:28 pm

The chariot that was mentioned was an enemy on a chariot. They said they've considered vehicles (specifically, a boat) but they haven't said anything about mounts or the like used by the characters.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:26 am

I like the idea.

Pyro-Flaming Hawk riding your shoulder.

Sorcery-Crystal Snake riding your arm or neck.

Miracle-White Owl...

I could even see summoning pets for short term use in battle.

I dont see anything wrong with the "you are alone" atmosphere either.

Unless you're playing offline, you always have company...whether you want it or not.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 am

I couldn't see pets.
    I could see spells you could use to summon one though.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:01 am

I know it's an enemy chariot, but they did say they want to implement vehicles for players too. That means chariot, horse or something similar. They said there is a level where you are on a ship but that does not count as a vehicle, it is an area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content