Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Mr. Tart
Naxek
Forum Pirate
WandererReece
Serious_Much
T-King-667
shadowzninjaz
TurkeySoul
12 posters

Top 5 changes to Dark Souls 2 from DkS I'd like to see

morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Top 5 changes to Dark Souls 2 from DkS I'd like to see - Page 2 Empty Re: Top 5 changes to Dark Souls 2 from DkS I'd like to see

Post by morte Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 pm

I wouldn't say selfish. I like the present system and I can't really think of any improvements, but making a better PC version would help boost that part of their market, especially with all the popularity that the PC release of DkSI ahd, DkSII would have similar hype, but would be more popular with fewer people complaining about the "controls issues," which would boost their sales, encouraging DLCs and sequels of similar quality.

Nah, just kidding, I want a functional PC version and just don't much care about anything else.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Top 5 changes to Dark Souls 2 from DkS I'd like to see - Page 2 Empty Re: Top 5 changes to Dark Souls 2 from DkS I'd like to see

Post by Juutas Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:15 am

I agree 100% on the level cap.
    Naxek
    Naxek
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Naxek Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 am

I don't agree with the level cap, because for the most part we've got player enforced tiered caps that work pretty well. Depending on what the cap was we might not be able to have, 200, 150 120, 100, 99, 55. I think it's more interesting that we have all these different levels that the action happens at.
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:45 am

TurkeySoul wrote:
    eminusx wrote:
    TurkeySoul wrote: he said

i said

I 100% see your point and I'm also in 2 minds about this. I'm basing it on my first playthrough. I did like all the hidden bits and pieces in the game and also spent about 100 hours on first play through (and I did look a few things up).

Finding gaps and holes etc was very enjoyable and I explored each zone thoroughly. I did think a few things could have been a bit more obvious though.

The bonfire in Sens was one. I'm glad you found it. Wish I had. I would have been fine with it being off a ledge where it was if it didn't have a guy throwing bombs at you so as you're running past and don't even notice the gap. I didn't even notice it the first couple of runs through and eventually looked online for where the bonfire was as I thought I'd searched every nook and cranny and couldn't imagine the whole place not having one.

The other bit was going back to Asylum being such an important part of the game which gives you probably your only titanite slab and the key to painted world. Even if you find the nest making you wait like a minute before anything happens means most players would completely miss this. I did find this, waited in nest for like 20 secs and got out cos nothing happened.

Having two illusiary walls to get to the hollow.. Every time I've done blighttown online there never seems to be anyone who has left a message of illusiary wall ahead and expecting 2 is not something an average player would try.

Not warning you that using a fire keepers soul would just give you souls. I don't remember the text being very obvious to hand it in to someone or you wouldn't get re-enforced flask. I read it and used it and then wondered why my flask wasn't re-enforced.

Not having a way back from anor londo without back tracking through sens was also mega annoying which is why I suggest blacksmith telling you which zones to look for embers in as the knights and boss are cakewalk with a strong weapon but are incredibly hard when you haven't upgraded properly (well on first playthorugh anyway, not now I can backstab properly).

I guess I think that items can be well hidden but whole zones should be a bit more obvious to find.

Having said all that I think I will try DkS2 without looking anything up and have a feeling I will find 90%+ of everything there is to find.

A lot of finding everything is knowing how the game 'thinks'. In DkS2 if I arrive in a dead end that seems like it shouldn't just be a dead end then I will hit walls. If an action does something I will wait a full minute for something to happen etc etc...

I just can't help but feel that I would have been able to do the full playthrough without internet help if I had known that and I imagine most players are in the same boat. A lot of things are just too obscure to find.

Sens bonfire, I saw the gap after I'd legged it to the mid level platform

Its all designed in excess, to test you and see if you'll go the extra mile that other games will never ask of you, most things in DS are designed to throw you off the scent. a) waiting far longer for something to happen (snuggly) than you usually would, so you give up. B) weve all seen invisible walls before that we have to break through. . . but two...in a row?!?!?!? surely not!! :-)

Backtracking through Sens, the reason you have to back track is because Sens is essentially a big puzzle, so going through the puzzle in reverse is a great idea, negotiating the axes in reverse, thats why the placement of the enemies makes a difference, because you need to think about them differently than you did 'going up'. The first serpent mage guard at the first set of swinging axes, she could easily be your downfall, so you gotta be careful, again building the tension. . .lesser games or designers would miss this sort of opportunity, thats why DS is so special.

Returning to the Asylum, seeing a 'soul' up on the roof immediately made me think there was a way up there, then I found the stair, and the nest. In the nest, It seemed likely that if they'd go to the trouble of making a point of you pressing a button to curl into a ball then it probable has some significance. . .so I just left it a while.

The painted world, lets face it, the Painting itself is a bit of a centre piece, and it too has a button prompt when youre in front of it. I had a look through my items to see if anything fitted either the cold look or feel of the painting or the even word 'painting' and then used it.

There once was an abomination who had
    no place in this world. She clutched this
    doll tightly, and eventually was drawn into
    a cold and lonely painted world.

I do know what you mean about things being well hidden, but if you look at any of those points ive just made, if you got rid of those you'd just be trundling from A to B, which is pretty boring really, especially for an adventure game. Like John Lennon said, Life's what happens while youre making other plans. . .well, I reckon in gaming it stuff like this that IS the gaming experience, completing a game is just the result, its how you get there that's important, thats the real game.

Like you said, you just need to get into the Miyazaki mindset and learn how the game 'thinks', then you start to question everything, turn over every stone, investigate every nook and cranny. . .thats playing the game :-)
    TurkeySoul

Post by TurkeySoul Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 am

Yeah I guess I'm talking about that point in retrospect for a new player. I think if they keep things obscure in DkS2 then I will enjoy it even more but someone new to the series would probably be like I was with DkS and not expect the twisted logic of the game.

I'd say I'm an experienced gamer and didn't find the double illusiary wall or the way back to asylum on my own. I think in DkS2 if they do something similar I probably will find it. It's a tricky one. I guess it's the point out of my 5 points that I care about the least but that I think would be good for people new to the series.
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:49 am

Top 5 changes:
    No backstabs in combat - too much of MP combat has decayed to 2 people circling each other.
    More players and better connection. I don't care who i play with but it takes ages to find an online summoning sometimes.
    Faster sorcery attacks - sorcery is currently next to useless in PvP
    thats all for now
    Naxek
    Naxek
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Naxek Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:17 am

TurkeySoul wrote:Yeah I guess I'm talking about that point in retrospect for a new player. I think if they keep things obscure in DkS2 then I will enjoy it even more but someone new to the series would probably be like I was with DkS and not expect the twisted logic of the game.

I'd say I'm an experienced gamer and didn't find the double illusiary wall or the way back to asylum on my own. I think in DkS2 if they do something similar I probably will find it. It's a tricky one. I guess it's the point out of my 5 points that I care about the least but that I think would be good for people new to the series.

No, it wouldn't be good for new people to the series. Because it wouldn't put them into the proper mindset for the game. Not to mention those of us who have already caught on would have to live with a dumbed down game.
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Its all about balance. Having enough difficulty to be a chalange but not so hard as to be uncompletable. I have to admit as a noob it took me about 3 months to complete the game, mostly because i could never kill seath (i didnt even know about summoning at the time)
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:05 pm

It's funny. I actually over-leveled on my first play-through, so one thing I'd like is a suggestion about the level range for an area based on the average levels that players use to run through them. Yeah, it'd get messed up by challenge runs, but by the time people start doing that, we'd all probably be on our second or third run, so that kind of thing wouldn't matter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:23 am