Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Brigade
User1
Tolvo
Animaaal
Jansports
LunarFog
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rynn
12 posters

spears are OP pls nerf.

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

spears are OP pls nerf. Empty spears are OP pls nerf.

Post by Rynn Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am

A sarcastic stream where I demonstrate how horrific spears are.

http://www.twitch.tv/flickerflare
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

spears are OP pls nerf. Empty Re: spears are OP pls nerf.

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Going to be having super-fun-time with pokies now?
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm

This will be the first time I watch one of your streams. I look forward to belittling your views.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm

I started watching, you lost a fight killed two afks won a fight then fought gargs.

so yeah spears so OP killin those afks and pve enemies so damn good.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:25 pm

I like activities that require poking. twisted
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Animaaal wrote:I like activities that require poking. twisted

Animaaal you are too addicted to Facebook.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:19 pm

I am???? I have a page...I think. :?: I do like face-poking...its a common game/activity that I shall not describe here.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Jansports wrote:I started watching, you lost a fight killed two afks won a fight then fought gargs.

Yes, and when I completed the build, which was designed to be completely unoptimal, I then demonstrated that with 0 poise, no HP investement, and no endurance investment, that I could almost beat X with it. An optimal build that used a spear woulda thrashed him (he said he would have BS fished it), and that was the point I was making with it.

So what you're saying is you saw someone stunlock me with a hala, and watched me kill an AFK whom invaded me, and went "SPEARS ARE FINE"
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Spears are glorious, not horrific! The SKS can do a good load of damage easily, and it's range is insane.
    Brigade
    Brigade
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Brigade Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Have you tried rolling, blocking, or thinking instead of complaining?

Either roll through it, turtle until he makes a mistake, or disengage and come up with a plan other than rolling and hitting R1.

Have you ever considered that if you unlock and make your way beside or behind him, there's not a damned thing he can do because of most spear's lack of a horizontal attack?

If he's relying on distance, close in. If he's relying too much on his shield, make him move. Combat isn't limited to two people standing right in front of each other and just tossing around attacks until someone makes a mistake.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Sorry if I don't see the issue that much. However spears are great for no shield dodge practice and my research on fighting them. Like mages you just dodge them and crack the spear wielder's strategy and take advantage of the weakness you see. If they have a shield bleed the player! Get in close when you feel like you know enough about them and wear them out both in game stamina and real life mentality so they make the mistake that will kill them.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Tolvo wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:I like activities that require poking. twisted

Animaaal you are too addicted to Facebook.

That's not the "poking" he was talking about.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Brigade wrote:Have you tried rolling, blocking, or thinking instead of complaining?

Either roll through it, turtle until he makes a mistake, or disengage and come up with a plan other than rolling and hitting R1.

Have you ever considered that if you unlock and make your way beside or behind him, there's not a damned thing he can do because of most spear's lack of a horizontal attack?

If he's relying on distance, close in. If he's relying too much on his shield, make him move. Combat isn't limited to two people standing right in front of each other and just tossing around attacks until someone makes a mistake.

I'm gonna go out an a limb and speak for Rynn, if thats who you're addressing.

Since we all know Rynn has almost zero pvp experience, doesn't understand the mechanics in any way shape or form, and is probably completely clueless on countering techniques.......Im gonna wager an answer of yes anyways.

I dont know why, but yes just "feels" right.

@Pendant

Its the poking we all talk about... ":cyclops:-eyed-willie"?
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Dammit Animal! Stop it with the irony! Thats my job! silly

The only good part on this is when I retire, I'll have people to replace me big grin
    wahwah
    wahwah
    Regular
    Regular

Post by wahwah Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 pm

if u find spears to be so OP, and having trouble fighting spear wielders u rlly got no skill....
    i bet once u find out spearmen can be beaten as easy as others u find a new weapon to complain about, right?
    things aint OP just cuz u lack the skill to defend urself or kill ppl who use it
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:01 pm

wahwah wrote:if u find spears to be so OP, and having trouble fighting spear wielders u rlly got no skill....
    i bet once u find out spearmen can be beaten as easy as others u find a new weapon to complain about, right?
    things aint OP just cuz u lack the skill to defend urself or kill ppl who use it
    You're absolutely stupid if you think the problem is a lack of skill on my side. It's a baseless claim to state a spear user is worthless, especially after how close I could get to killin X, whom is pretty damn good, while using an incredibly gyped build that I stuck a spear on. On a player that really knows their way around an opponent, I chipped off 1400 HP before they could chip of 530. Since X is actually, in my opinion, slightly better then me, and certainly knew how to deal with a spear user, it seems unreasonable to then state I'm just too skilless to bear one simply because I believe they are overpowered.

I believe spears are overpowered because if built correctly, they are impossible to take down without backstabbing, and if built in a horrifically inefficient manner they can still rip you apart unless you really know what you're doing. The only way to beat a good spear user if for the spear user to make a very bad mistake: such as attacking when you're half a foot away, not rolling when you cast dark bead, or blocking with no stamina remaining. Dark Magic is defended just by rolling through it, or if you've got the shield, just blocking it and taking about 200 total damage if you don't feel confident in dodging it. A spear doesn't give that option, in fact if it's elemantal or designed to do chip damage, then it's user doesn't even mind if you block.

Animaal, are you being sarcastic when you make those claims?
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Rynn wrote:
    Jansports wrote:I started watching, you lost a fight killed two afks won a fight then fought gargs.

Yes, and when I completed the build, which was designed to be completely unoptimal, I then demonstrated that with 0 poise, no HP investement, and no endurance investment, that I could almost beat X with it. An optimal build that used a spear woulda thrashed him (he said he would have BS fished it), and that was the point I was making with it.

So what you're saying is you saw someone stunlock me with a hala, and watched me kill an AFK whom invaded me, and went "SPEARS ARE FINE"

pretty much. I saw you fight X a few times later. He was winning. Showing that spears can almost win fights with an unoptimal build is uhh pointless. From what I saw in at least a couple fights X was using a build with no shield. And that he said he'd BS a more optimized build sorta speaks to the level at which this was taken seriously.

I mean we've seen streamerss win plenty of fights with some of the worst, intentionally bad, builds. You, X, Rant, Tolvo, Me, Wyrm, Billy I know for a fact we could all hope on find some pvp and win with spears, or magic, or a large club. I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE. So you winning with a spear isn't suprising, you being able to win without optimizing isn't suprising either. Winning with a spear doesn't correlate to spears being OP

Now if one forum event, everyone who I knew to be good showed up with a spear I'd be worried, but as it is people that I know are good AND want to win more than anything show up with non spear weapons because it is commonly understood spears are surmountable.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Rynn, I never want to face you in combat. My spear character, which I admit is OP as **** is a mid roller, and didn't you say you are able to counter mid roll effectively? If so, I could be kind of a way of learning on how to further refine your skills on combating spears. I could pointlessly swing away, it's what I usually do.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Correction, if I hopped on using a spear I'd get creamed. I'm incredibly out of practice, new players will probably defeat me.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Rynn, I never want to face you in combat. My spear character, which I admit is OP as **** is a mid roller, and didn't you say you are able to counter mid roll effectively? If so, I could be kind of a way of learning on how to further refine your skills on combating spears. I could pointlessly swing away, it's what I usually do.
    I'd gladly take the "practice", but it won't change my opinion on spears, I've seen what a refined spear build can do, and I've seen how rediculous they are on a non-refined character too. The weapon is of no interest to me because of how much of a joke they are when a good player picks them up.

And Jan, everyone doesn't show up with spears because battles would take forever, and everyone seems to, if nothing else, agree that battles with spear users are boring. Noone likes the turtle because the low level of risk and the only counter essentially being a backstab if they know what they're doing. That's an opinion I've seen hashed out thousands of times in the PvP section, and my own experiences back when I mained a spear indicated such as well. A boring tactic that's only countered by backstabbing them... if that's not OP, it's certainly nothing I want anything to do with. Sleep

Now, if their build is unoptimal, like the one I played against X on, you could break their guard, or dead angle them followed by a stunlock, but if they are more serious, get themself some poise, HP, stamina etc, then you can't keep pressure on them. They could flip away, get a second to breathe to recover stamina, and be rearing to go again pretty easily. You can roll out of bleeds, and as several of my invaders used poison arrows, I got to show you can avoid being poisoned too; even with base stamina. So what's the list of cons for a spear?

"Can still lose if you were stupid, or if your opponent is -far- better then you"

That's not a con.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Correction, I don't like spears, so I wouldn't try if I equipped one.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 pm

My spear build is so refined, refer to it as cocaine. It's so addictive to use, refined to the core, and very easy to pick it up and love it. But there's not honestly much difference between my SKS +5 and something like a buffed Winged Spear. Both are as OP as one another, and I use both. I'll take that as a 'no' though, considering the response.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:My spear build is so refined, refer to it as cocaine. It's so addictive to use, refined to the core, and very easy to pick it up and love it. But there's not honestly much difference between my SKS +5 and something like a buffed Winged Spear. Both are as OP as one another, and I use both. I'll take that as a 'no' though, considering the response.

Use them as much as you want. The only times I see a problem occurring is if it's in a serious FC, a set-up duel where spears are silently banned, or when you want to improve or show off your "skill." As much as I hate to admit it, spears are just another weapon type in the game that are probably the best.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Spears and Katanas were mistakes in terms of trying to make PvP work. These two types of weapons are nearly ultimate from the start. I didn't mention it, but I use the Chaos Blade +5 with any of the two spears. Mu build is hated far and wide for this.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Chaos Blade is Best Blade

Silver Knight Spear is best Spear

Amirite?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am