Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+30
Carphil
XachAttack
Automancer
Hue
AnCapaillMor
nsane32
EeAyEss
morte
Rynn
Soris Ice Goldwing
densetsushun
GrinTwist
Spurgun
The Letter X
Maneater_Mildred
gmwdim
BeeSeaEss
User1
Mr. Tart
sure-magicians
VaDoom
tinypantha
swordiris
Demon Slayer
barrywilkins
Tolvo
Jester's Tears
BIG TIME MASTER
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Dibsville
34 posters

'Younger' people playing Dark Souls?

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

'Younger' people playing Dark Souls? Empty 'Younger' people playing Dark Souls?

Post by Dibsville Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 pm

I've had Dark Souls since it first came out, and I'm currently 15. And one thing that never gets old is how surprised people get when they here my voice and learn I'm not like 20. Now, don't get me wrong, I love this game with a passion, but I have had many instances where long-held friends will actually stop talking to me completely, (and sometimes even delete me), when they here my voice. It's actually pretty hilarious to here their reaction, but my question is, what do you expect from people when they play Dark Souls? What I mean is, if you're about to talk to someone while playing, how old do you expect them to be?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

'Younger' people playing Dark Souls? Empty Re: 'Younger' people playing Dark Souls?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 pm

I think most are aged 14-30. Large range I know, but I wold say 15 is at the younger end of the player base.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

'Younger' people playing Dark Souls? Empty Re: 'Younger' people playing Dark Souls?

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Sleep Huh...what???

Hey! You yungins quite down o'er there!
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I think most are aged 14-30. Large range I know, but I wold say 15 is at the younger end of the player base.

Pretty sure there's younger people. Gotten alot of Hate mails with Pathetic writing and horrible Grammar >_>
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Jester's Tears wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I think most are aged 14-30. Large range I know, but I wold say 15 is at the younger end of the player base.

Pretty sure there's younger people. Gotten alot of Hate mails with Pathetic writing and horrible Grammar >_>
    I'm in honours classes, so I use correct, (or how I find correct), grammar as much as possible. Practice makes perfect!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I find most people who play Dark Souls tend to be older, since the demographic is later teens and younger adults.

Games just have certain groups which they appeal to, COD for example is marketed towards younger people. Grandparents can enjoy the game if they are into shooters and what not, but games feequently have groups they are targeted towards. Sometimes though these demographics are not reached, or they add another group on. Pokemon is a good example of that. Those games are targeted at kids though a good amount of young adults also play those games since they grew up with them.

When I play Dark Souls, I just expect a person on the other end personally.

In regards to people having little interest in playing with younger people, it's a sentiment I can understand. I remember when I was younger I could get frequently annoying with how much I talked while playing. Another issue is that sometimes younger people just want to *** around too much, so for games with group gameplay when one is believed to be young people may not want to risk losing/etc.

When it comes to competitive play if I suddenly learned a person I played with was young, I wouldn't really care. As long as they can carry their own weight whatever.

barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

I've been playing pretty much any and every game I can get my mitts on since I was 3, so it'd be unfair of me to expect everyone is my age. Though getting a message from a 3 yr old would be rather... unsettling. I'd feel like now I was somehow responsible for not making that kids parents send me hatemail or something because I ruined that kids innocence with my half naked wrestler character.
    Demon Slayer
    Demon Slayer
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Demon Slayer Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:52 pm

I,m 14 years old and i started paplaying dark souls.since came out i was 132 by then
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm only 16 myself and I expect people to be anywhere from 15 to 39.

People say I'm mature for my age though
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 pm

I started playing dark souls when I was 13 so meh, I do get comments on my voice sounding 16+

Age doesn't matter very much at all.

Your ability not to send: OMFG U ALL FUKIN SUK messages is what matters
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by VaDoom Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 pm

According to the previous messages, I must be one of the eldest here.
    I have friends close to my age playing video games (and Dark Souls, for instance). Actually, almost every friend that were supposed to be hardcore players like 15 or so years ago keep on playing today.
    I think my "generation" has video games in it's blood, and I won't be surprised if some will keep playing even after 50 (I probably will).
    You don't see a lot of 30+ gamers playing Dark Souls, but that doesn't mean they are not here. They just don't communicate much, I personaly never send any message (hatemail or whatever else) before someone send me one. My friends are the same, and generaly, they don't even take the time to post in forums (I'm an exception).

imo, the only reason that can make people stop playing is family. But even then, Some friends keeps on playing with their wife/husband/girfriend/boyfriend. And some teach their children to play.

As for what I expect from other when I play online... Not very much actually. I wish to have a good time and possibly make new friends. If some players talk to me aggressively, I just ignore them, or answer them with sarcasms just for the lulz. 10 sec later, it's forgotten anyway.
    I'm at an age when I know I won't become a pro gamer, and I don't even want to become one anyway.
    My advice to (from a supposed wiser guy <-- lol!, I can say bull'Younger' people playing Dark Souls? 2324285107s sometimes) the youngest generation (and to gamers in general) is to stop thinking they are better than other at games. 99,999% won't ever be close to become pros, so why taking it so seriously and act like little ***?
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 pm

VaDoom wrote:You don't see a lot of 30+ gamers playing Dark Souls, but that doesn't mean they are not here.

I'm here...
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Whenever i play any kind of game, i expect of the person i talk to to be 18. This is due to the fact that i mostly meet 18 year olds when i play. I don't however get very surprised if they're not 18, because i know there's always a big variety in gamers.

I do know that feel, having people stop playing with you because of age. Hell, when i played RuffRose, an MMO that died a couple of years ago, people would avoid me the moment they found out i was... 10 i believe. Some people just totally ignored me for no apparent reason. I've also had people go all racist on me for being swedish. :|
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:26 pm

My cousin, who's 12, can play Dark Souls very well, and enjoys it a lot as well.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 pm

VaDoom wrote:According to the previous messages, I must be one of the eldest here.
    I have friends close to my age playing video games (and Dark Souls, for instance). Actually, almost every friend that were supposed to be hardcore players like 15 or so years ago keep on playing today.
    I think my "generation" has video games in it's blood, and I won't be surprised if some will keep playing even after 50 (I probably will).
    You don't see a lot of 30+ gamers playing Dark Souls, but that doesn't mean they are not here. They just don't communicate much, I personaly never send any message (hatemail or whatever else) before someone send me one. My friends are the same, and generaly, they don't even take the time to post in forums (I'm an exception).

imo, the only reason that can make people stop playing is family. But even then, Some friends keeps on playing with their wife/husband/girfriend/boyfriend. And some teach their children to play.

As for what I expect from other when I play online... Not very much actually. I wish to have a good time and possibly make new friends. If some players talk to me aggressively, I just ignore them, or answer them with sarcasms just for the lulz. 10 sec later, it's forgotten anyway.
    I'm at an age when I know I won't become a pro gamer, and I don't even want to become one anyway.
    My advice to (from a supposed wiser guy <-- lol!, I can say bull'Younger' people playing Dark Souls? 2324285107s sometimes) the youngest generation (and to gamers in general) is to stop thinking they are better than other at games. 99,999% won't ever be close to become pros, so why taking it so seriously and act like little ***?
    My dad plays Dark Souls, he borrowed Demons Souls from his friend not to long afterDeS came out, he was teh one that got me and EeAyEss into the series...he's 46 silly
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Your dad sounds legendary. I hope I can be such a good father.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Your dad sounds legendary. I hope I can be such a good father.

Honestly...he is a freakin legend! He has played all of the MGS series, Mass Effect, Mario...lets just say alot, and he gets the HD remixes of his favorite old arcarde games. He was the one that got us into video games, and so I surpass him in gaming skill as his legacy!!!! 'Younger' people playing Dark Souls? 3207319737
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Sounds like a good old guy. I got myself into gaming by going to arcades all the time, and playing very early games on the computer. It would have been significantly easier if someone had bothered to introduce me. The MGS series is seen as one of the old 'classics' as well. It's also very hard. MGS2 had pretty flawed AI, so sneaking past anyone in that game was near impossible. The shooting was terrible too.
    gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:53 pm

I don't know about ratings in other countries, but here in the US the game is rated M, meaning for age 17+ (yeah, I know, that doesn't mean squat - I bought Diablo 2 when I was 15). But that, plus the fact that most teenagers don't have much money to be spending on games, probably contributes to people's surprise when they find out you're under 17.

At 26, I think I'm on the slightly older side of gamers these days. Oh, how the time flies...only a few short years ago I was the one who couldn't wait to be old enough to drink and buy stuff.

As for multiplayer, I don't care how old the person on the other end is. Perhaps on average teenagers tend to have more "immature" tendencies than adults but that difference is small compared to the amount of overall variation. I've met plenty of chill 14 year olds and plenty of childish 40 year olds.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Oh, indeed, time just flies right past you.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm an oldie, but my son who is seven plays dark souls, he could beat most of the pre dlc bosses when he was 6. As long as you can play I don't care what age you are.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Ever heard of someone called Lil' Poison? He was nearly at MLG standards when he was 12 years old. And he keeps his gaming in moderation too. If I can find the time, I can play games for hours on end.

Back on topic: Your son sounds like a pretty skilled person, being able to do that at 6. Is his hand-eye coordination exceptional? And I thought I felt like my life has dragged on for ages, you're 10 years older than me. I can;t bear to think how long it will feel like my life has just dragged on when I'm 39.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Yes he has very good manual dexterity, he plays rugby and has done martial arts at home with me since he was standing. Plus he watched me kill each boss 100's of times before he took a turn.

The last part of your post makes me feel old. 😢 time for a nap Sleep lol!
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:35 pm

That made me smile. happy

It's good to know your son has great manual dexterity, and being able to do rugby and martial arts at that age must feel great to learn. I only learned a bit of martial arts when I was 13 and didn't even stick with it. Hold on..

That's cheating! He used cheats to kill all the bosses! Probably remembering all the tactics you used, and copying them. Children these days... winking

BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:49 pm

I tried letting my ten year old brother play Darksouls...omg he couldnt beat the asylum demon!
    When he first played, I pulled a prank on him and turned the HUD off lololololololololllololooll, he couldnt even get TO the asylum demon the second time with it off, he's still in the asylum, I actually want to see him play DkS all the way through BUT, he isn't interested in it sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:57 pm